“Great Holiday”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed at the Stella Makadi Beach from 30th Nov – 11th Dec. The weather was great 26o – 28o and very little cloud.
Accommodation- our room was equipped with two double beds, flat screen TV with English channels & a very clear picture, air con and a safe which was not charged for. We were on the ground floor in the ‘6000’ block which is fairly close to the main building.
Facilities – there are several pools and they are all sparklingly clean. One is heated and one is a ‘quite pool’ which means no music and no people trying to sell you trips! There is a bar on the beach which also serves lunch. The drink queue here can be long at peak times but the staff a cheerful. The beach itself is clean and the sea is crystal clear and warm. We enjoyed snorkelling off the end of the jetty.
Food – quality and choice was good and they made an effort to cater for most. We tried the Italian Restaurant which was ok although the pasta was a bit under cooked. The Lebanese Restaurant was an amazing experience and I would advise everyone to try it.
Drinks – sadly they do fall short here. The beer is ok but anything else is pretty poor. We found rum & coke was about the best drink.
Internet / wi-fi – this is available at a cost which I felt it was far too high at 45LE or Egyptian Pounds per hour (£4.50) These hotels must move with the times and realise that they must provide wi-fi as standard or at a nominal charge.
Dislikes – Our flight was uncomfortable. Thomas Cook is using very old planes with very little leg room & entertainment that breaks down. When the entertainment is working it’s on TV screens hanging from the ceiling with very fuzzy pictures - It’s just not good enough! No hot drinks coming home as the water heater did not work. It was very hot too on our flight home. Thomas Cook are more interested in maximizing profit than customer satisfaction. Our cleaner in the Stella was fantastic and kept our room like new. However, his boss / manager woke us up early on more than one occasion talking very loudly to his men outside our door. I went out and asked him to shut up and he looked at me as if there was no problem and woke us again another day! Our shower had a poor water flow but we got used to it. There are a lot of Russians (~80%) who tend to have no manners and push in but you get used to it. The entertainment was very poor as the animation team, while adequate in the day, loose it at night and just can’t perform. The best non-animation team act was the ‘Belly Dancing and Tanora Dancing’ which was fantastic. Most evenings we just watched for a short while because it really was about as entertaining as a series of unwanted tetanus injections!
Trips – we did three. Luxor was a great day and very good value. Valley of the Kings, Karnak and a boat trip on the Nile. We were collected at 5.30am and return to hotel about 11pm. The Desert trip was a great experience too. Shop & Rock was good although the service in the Hard Rock café was very poor and there was a long wait for food. Also the drinks were very expensive!
We would return to this hotel. Its strengths are the staff and the whole site is spotless and very well maintained.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank delboy196
Viviane R, P.A. to General Manager at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Stella Makadi Resorts & Spa for spending your holidays and for taking the time to share your experience with us and with other travellers on trip advisor.

We greatly appreciate any comments made by our dear guests that constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is always energizing to know that our guests were satisfied with the facilities and service during their vacation. As we place great value on your continued relationship with us.

However, based on your last notes, we were concerned to notice that you had faced some issues during your stay and we regret any unintended inconvenience you might have faced.

Please allow me to inform you that your comments have been communicated to the departments involved for follow up and necessary action, where applicable.

Looking forward to the pleasure of serving you.

Regards,

Viviane Riad

Write a ReviewReviews (2,981)

Reviewed 12 December 2012

Just got back after two weeks holiday, the staff can not do enough for you. I had a sea view room which was brilliant, the cleaner did a very good job and the room wasa spotless. I only had one problem, when i went to the Bubbles night club they could not find my name on the list and could not sign for drinks, however this was sorted within minutes. There is plenty of food choices and four a la carte restaurant, two in Stella Gardens and the other two in Beach resort.

The animation team were absolutely brilliant (Mikey and Sebastian) and the rest did a good job, the evening entertainment was good but if you are there for two weeks it could be repetitive, this did not bother me at all.

Over all this was a very good holiday and i would go back to this hotel and i can recomend it to everyone who wants to chill out.

Sammy W

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sammy,

Thank you for reviewing and recommending the Stella Makadi Resorts & Spa on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your positive feedback as well as your decent compliments.

We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and hope that we have met your entire expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Regards,
Viviane Riad

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We have spent in this hotel 12 days with 2 kids, one of 3,5 and another of 1,5 years old. In general I can say that our vacation was successful. However, not everything went spotless and perfect, as I have read in many other reviews. The territory is absolutely beautiful, with lots of flowers and different plants, everything is maintained perfectly. The staff and service in general are worth a compliment, attentive, well-trained, not begging for money, friendly and polite. Animation team is great, our kids had lots of fun during mini-discos. Food is good, always enough for everybody, different thema-buffets every evening. We have been to 3 a la carte restaurants of 4. Chinese we found the best, sweet-corn soup especially was very delicious. From Indian restaurant I could reccomend lamb. We also went to Italian (buffet), but that was a disappointment. I couldn t find any seafood in "risotto seafood", and also no salmon in "tortellini salmon". My husband is a spaghetti bolognese lover, he eats it everywhere, where he can, so he pretty much knows how it should taste and the one in the restaurant was far from his expectations. The deserts in all restaurants are pretty much the same as in the main building. Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to eat in Lebanese restaurant. Everywhere in the brochures it says that it should be booked the same day at the reception of the hotel at 9.30, but if you come at 9.30, they tell you: oh no, it is from 9, and now it is already overbooked.
More challenges we had with our room. It is big, with big beds, that was a plus but that was the only thing positive. Interior of the room is quite simple, the tv didn't work, the telephone didn't work. But the worst was the bathroom. First 2 days we didnt have hot water, then it was finally fixed, in a couple of days after that we had a flood, the person to fix it should have come in 5 minutes according to the reception, which took him a couple of hours. the evening was completely spoiled.
We used the laundry service. A bag full of clothes, all cleaned and ironed perfectly for 10 euro, absolutely worth the money.
The beach is big , so enough space and leisure beds for everybody, the only disadvantage is that if you want to swim, you have to walk along the long pier and that is not really handy with little kids. By the way, the swimming pool for the kids was very cold and I wish they had some small waterslides for the children to play in the water.
Hurghada is located about half an hour drive from the hotel and in my opinion, going there is not worth it at all. Ugly city. I will place a separate review about it.
From our tour operator agent we got a good advice, if you need unlimited internet during your stay, better purchase a usb in the city, 30 euro and you have internet connection everywhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Julia V
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Just got back after a week here with my daughter, all I can say is this hotel is wonderful.The staff can't do enough for you. We stayed in the Gardens which is new, our room was lovely and overlooked the heated pool. The cleaner was amazing, the room was spotless everyday and he arranged all our stuff for us, it was funny to return to see what imaginative thing he could come up with today!! The food was lovely, could not find fault at all.We tried 3 al a carte restaurants and the Lebanese was amazing, we could not eat it all, there was too much. Around the swimming pools were little beaches, so sweet. The animation team were great with something going on all the time. The reception staff were efficient and also great fun, the sense of humour of all the staff was brilliant. I don't know what the downside is, apart from if you go to the beach you get hassle off people coming along selling trips, you just have to be firm with them. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: we had 3474 and it was lovely overlooking a pool and it was easy to walk to the other hotel from her...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Villain
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I admired the beach, the sea. The territiry of the hotel is large, clean and quite picturesque. The food was tasty, there was special food for those who have problems with stomach. Whar I really like was national quisine. My daughter and I visited the restaraunts. Most of all we liked Italian and Lebanon. The service was perfect. We enjoyed the sea voyage.
We were only for 7 days in Stella Makadi, but we had a wonderful rest during these days.
we are going to come here again.

Room Tip: I advise higher floors, they are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Prior to going on holiday with my friend I had read the other reviews and was sceptical with what it would be like. There were positives and negatives but ultimatley you come to your own conclusion when you go yourself !!!

We arrived in the late afternoon in hurguarda airport. The first thing to note is there IS an entry fee into the country which is a visa sticker in the passport I couldnt get my head around it to begin with as to why an entry fee was needed but that is by the by.
We stayed in Stella Beach the hotel itself is a massive complex and inside is beautiful so far we were onto a winner
However when we go to the room there was a problem !!!!!
We requested a room with a pool or sea view and this was part of our packagebut this wasnt what we recieved infact the room didnt have much of a view of anything and wasnt what we asked for not to mention the fridge didnt work so we went to reception to discuss this and as it was late they asked us to come back the next day ... fair enough
We came back to reception to explain our situation they advised they could move us to a room with a garden view as a pool or sea view room was chargeable per night but it wasnt available until the next day !!! So on the thursday we went back to reception and after a lot of miscommunication we got the room changed to a beautiful garden view in the 7000 block.
The food was hit and miss for the duration in parts - breakfast is nice and the and so is the lunches lots of fresh fish and salads and pasta . It is quite repetitive but there is always something to have . The soft drinks were extrmely sweet orange juice and tasted very concentrated however there were water coolers around and you could go to the drinks machines to fill up.
I have to make mention to marcos the cocktail man !!! Who made sure that my friend and I didnt die of thirst when we went to the bar in the evenings and made sure we had a good laugh.
The entertainment try there best just have a laugh is all I can say when it got too bad we went back to our room !!
And also the italian a la carte I cant remember the chef's name but I wanted the spaghetti pasta bolognase made fresh at the pasta station which he did and
and it was amazing !!!! so I recommend the italian !!
The cleaners were very good and made sure our room was spotless we did a questionnaire before we left and got a plate of fruit to our suprise ...
We didnt get to go to the sister hotel as we had planned but have heard many good things
A good tip is to take the trip down to hurguarda where you can explore the shops I got a great pashmina and quite a few pieces of jewellery !!!
Also please make sure you take tablets for stomach upset (diahorea) I had it once over there but was fine within a couple of hours
Take advantage of the beach and the poolside and if you dont get that far then you can always sit on the balcony of your room !!!
Dont go to the first sitting for breakfust , lunch & dinner its very much like a cattle market at that time with everyone descending on the canteen main hall
Most of all whatever you do enjoy as the weather for November is Hot and you will have a good time !!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We have just returned home after our third visit to Stella Makadi Resort & Spa, 16 Nov. - 23.Nov.
We were welcomed like old friends by Head Chef Hassaan, he is genuinely interested in the views of the guests regarding the flavour, appearance and serving of all the foods in all of the restaurants. Hamza is a great breakfast chef; he gets the eggs cooked beautifully. Thanks must also go to Andrea in guest services, she is always concerned that everything is as it should be and is quick to put things right if there is a problem. The laundry service is second to none, they are so quick! The spa has some great staff (Hoda and Waleed) and we each had 4 massages which we were able to negotiate the price down.
One small grumble, before we went, we sent an email to Flash International to request a quiet room near to the spa, we never received a reply. But we did get the room when we asked reception. Also maybe some thought could given to ensuring that the heated pool with the swim up bar is child free as they have a dedicated pool just a few metres nearby, not all small children are fully toilet trained and don’t realise you don’t want splashes in your drink. However Abdo at the bar is great at his job and looks after you and your drinks.
We enjoyed a trip to Mahmaya, organised by Aladdin (rep for medhotels.com & Bright sky travel). Early start but good snorkelling, tasty lunch included and lucky sighting of dolphins. But if you don’t want to go out, then the hotel’s jetty to the edge of the reef gives you a fabulous view of all the fish and coral for free.
Also took the plane trip to Cairo for the Pyramids. Be aware VERY early pick up - 4am but worth every minute. There were only 3 of us in the English speaking group led by our guide Amira Samy. She was informative without seeming to be giving a dry old history lesson.
If you book transfers with A2B travel be warned that some of their drivers don't know where the hotel is. It took us about an hour and a half to make the 30 minute journey from the airport to the Stella Makadi. They also wanted to collect us for the return journey so that we would have been at the airport 3 hours before we needed to be. This was not acceptable, AtoB couldn’t care less. A private taxi was taken instead. We recommend you use your travel service transfer or a regular taxi.
You can be sure the hotel is clean tidy well run with good food and a relaxed atmosphere. The beer and wine are good, the brandy is acceptable but the gin is more like surgical spirit.
We have toured several countries and stayed in countless hotels but this is the best all-rounder we’ve found.
We hope to return to Stella Makadi next October if not before to once again enjoy their hospitality. Thank you everyone at Stella Makadi!
Best wishes, Iain & Jackie in 7179

Room Tip: In summer there is a twice weekly beach disco, a room in a block nearer the spa is quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple