“Go to Egypt! Fun time with the family-My pick of advice...”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Bristol
“Go to Egypt! Fun time with the family-My pick of advice...”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We travelled as a group of 6 varying ages and toddler. Hotel is 20 mins transfer from the airport also to warn Visas have gone up in price to $25. I would advise to get your spending money in Egypt as its £1 to 12 EGP £. Check in to the Gardens was quick we were in 3400s block 3 rooms next to each other was handy and walking straight out onto the large pool with bar was just pure relaxation, sun beds were never an issue throughout the holiday in all areas they had sun visors on the head which is a good idea. As there are multiple pools, slides, wave pool, relax, heated pool it never seemed crowded.
Rooms are large and bath with shower and separate shower cubicle handy for large families, free water in the mini bar, you pay extra for beer £4.50 per can £1.50 soft drinks. Cleaned brilliantly every day. Being in the last block in the gardens meant walking to the Beach buffet seemed quicker than going to the gardens one. The beach buffet had better (more English) choices. Butter was rarely there however so best stock up when you see it. we always had breakfast around 9 so tables never an issue and as we needed a large table asking a waiter to make one up for us was fine. The choice of food was nice however the same every day so they could benefit by doing themed days to make it more interesting, the slides and beach was best to eat for lunch, kebab sandwich/pizzas/chicken pittas.
The system for a la cartes seemed far too complex, there are 2 sittings 6.30/8.30 where you have to book 30mins before however by the time you go there is already groups of families waiting and no line system to stop people pushing in. We managed to visit the indian really tasty but very spicy! Chinese had good selection however half the tables remained unused which was frustrating especially when you couldn't turn up without a booking. I would suggest they copy the other hotels and give 2 visits per week and book when you arrive to the hotel simple no stress.
The beer and wine on AI was better than other hotels however the other alcohol was not nice very sickly strong and juices used for cocktails was very cheap watered down I suggest they have someone taste these and change the drinks used as we couldn't find much drinkable its a shame not to be able to have a drink on a holiday.
I suggest doing any small activities from the beach sellers snorkel/scuba/horses/quads cheaper than reps although we did manage to get a private scuba boat for the day for £52 a person.
The entertainment was fun for kids and was the usual hotel shows and was never kept awake by music.
I would wait until the airport to buy souvenirs as they were all 3EUR for small items papyrus etc.
Its such a shame that Egypt is quiet there are so many brilliant things to do/see its sad to see please go we all had a great time and take advantage of the quiet hotels and excursions.

Room Tip: Ask for room in middle of the resort so you can easily walk 5 mins to either sections, ground floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stella beach resort.
This review is simply to inform rather than put off. I am 53 male and wife is 48. We stayed from 18th april until 26th (delayed 1 full day and few hours). This was our 10th Egypt all inclusive trip. 5 times Sharm, 5times Hurgada. Generally try different place each time. Experienced in the Rudeness & Que  jumping of the Russians, and the fact that a tip goes a long way. Resort really nice, lots of space and no rush to get a space on beach or by pools. Food plentiful and really good. Room service, best we've ever had, room 5015 (Mohamid). We were in the Beach part, stepped out onto quite pool....ground floor, brill. Gym great and new. Entertainment at the beach and Gardens exceptionally good.  Our holiday is always a simple chill out, done all the sea trips, diving, Spa, Quad biking etc and the hard sell around beach wasn't a problem, always polite and after a day or so it ceases. We generally go to beach after breakfast, alternate eating at the beach, or inside for lunch. Having no children with us tend to eat Dinner about 8.15-8:30. I don't drink but wife will have few glasses of lager.  After Dinner we tend to just find a seat, chat and people watch, then generally have a coffee before bed.
We arrived early evening 6:30 with only 1 other English family at the beach and 2 sets of couples we dropped at the Gardens (not really catered for the English) . Showered and changed and went to eat 8:30.......SHAMBLES. No tables laid, other tables with used plates food leftovers etc. we tried to get attention of a waiter, not interested. Decided to clean an lay a table, then realised we couldn't leave it as this laid table would be taken as soon as we left it unattended . I went off for drinks, wife kept table. 1st soft drink station closed??? 2nd station empty just flat soda??? Went to get a glass of lager for wife...waited, and as normal Russians just walked to front. My turn came, no glasses??? I  Went and found a glass...back to fill. No gas on lager. We ate then got a drink after meal. Went through to where Entertainment was on. Decided then to have a coffee...2machines, no cups, no milk...decided to go bed and start afresh tomorrow.  Quick summary, from Friday to Tuesday we never once got a table that was laid, laid our own each and every meal time. We didn't really eat together as one of us was minding table whilst other got food or drinks. At breakfast,  If they had bowls or cups they had no milk. Butter sometimes there, generally not.  Coffee machine only on from 10am to 11pm... Some nights they just switched off early. We washed cups in toilet 1 night to use. Al Carte restaurants we had one experience of using and this totally put us off.  We decided to try the Italian. It was our 2nd night (format for all of them the same. Sittings 6:30 & 8:30, booking takes place at 6-8pm. Respectively. If u managed to booked a table you then have to toddle off for half hour, then return to joint the group who have booked earlier, again start to jockey to get taken to a table, one group at a time????)  We arrived to book and were 5th, at 7:40pm. Apparently 45 tables in each, so logic says we have a table. "NO".... 5 minutes b4 the 8pm booking time, loads of Russians and Italians, (who i might add are as bad as the Russians here, rude loud and don't see que), arrived. They all take no notice of the people who have been waiting to book. Waiter comes out to commence the bookings and if becomes a free for all. We stood our ground and booked, but this meant a lot of stress as it totally frustrated me, and I became very near to forcefully throwing a few of the ignorant people about. (Wife wouldn't allow this, but i think would have done me the world of good). Doent help the situation that the Italian and Indian use same booking area. Meal was good but found out later that the English which seemed to just be myself and wife, have a choice of 2 desserts.....whereas Italians have a wide selection???  The Italian restaurant had an area attached and I enquires about the need to book for this area. I was told, "no booking, you simply arrive and if table available you can dine there". The next night we were passing and decided to eat there. Only a table for 4 available. We didn't want to use this for just the 2 of us (English, so considerate) so enquires about a table for 2 save wasting 2 spacers. The head waiter (who we had seen in various locations and would describe as horrible due to the way he spoke to the other staff) addressed us with a sigh! Asked for the table for 2.... He said "English" we replied, "yes"...." this area not for English"?????? Thought he was joking then realised he wasn't. I again said we would like a table for 2.... again he sighed and said that it was "Italian only" We informed him this was discrimination, he just  shrugged, not bothered in slightest.
By chance on a walk around on Tuesday up around the Garden part of complex  we decided to eat there. Fantastic lunch, lots of tables laid and a totally different atmosphere......sorted. The remainder of holiday we dined up there at night and remained in that area all evening and finished off there with a coffee each night...not self service, bar waiters brought to the table.  Still used beach resort for breakfast, again laying our own table, but not as bothered. In all we wouldn't return and neither would the other English we spoke to. (have just read a review from an English couple who seemed to be there same time....could be totally different resort than ours, so it obviously a personal view) We Felt we needed to speak to the rep, we have never had reason to do this b4. We informed him this will become a "visit once" holiday unless they improve things service wise. Hotel was only at 40% capacity, so shudder to think what it must be like in peak season. He did say that he had already spoked to the Manager as he had received a No of complaints along the lines of our concerns. He said that he was told that the hotel won't bring more staff in until more guests are at the hotel???? The basic things needed, glasses, cups, plates, milk, coffee, tea. and organisation in and around food and self service area's. Normal when we eat in Egypt and we ain't looking for 5star service, and don't mind mucking in. Generally a waiter will try to attract you to there area on your first restaurant visit, hoping you use his area for the duration of your stay. They then know you and your drinks, on arrival each evening they show you to a table then you can both go for food and and on your return  generally drinks on your table, a small tip each evening....job done, relaxed
Our thanks go to our Cleaner, in room 5015, Miland in Italian restaurant, Ahmed doing us drinks up at the Garden lounge, Mohamad who worked in Gardens and also Lebanese (which we didn't visit), Mohamad in beach quite pool bar......... No thanks to Ebrahem for his attitude when telling us " No English". So if u are going have a nice time and this is purely are view and it has been has honest. Service aside we enjoyed all the other. Have a great time.

Room Tip: Improvise, try all area's because we found a completely different service at the Gardens to the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mickfishsmith
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Stella Makadi beach hotel for a fortnight in July 2013. Months before we were due to depart for our holiday, I would come on trip advisor and read hundreds of reviews, good and bad. All I can say is that no review will prepare you for the experience of this hotel.

The second you arrive, you will see that the whole complex is absolutely massive. We just about managed to explore every part of the grounds properly in the fourteen days we were there. There are lots of pools and bars to choose from, both in this hotel and the sister hotel (Stella Gardens). Although Stella Gardens is classed as 5*, I found that there wasn't much difference between the two. A shuttle bus runs between the two complex's every 15 minutes all day every day, and the all inclusive wristband is valid everywhere within Stella Makadi itself.

The rooms are clean and spacious, most of them with lovely views of the hotel grounds and the staff go out of their way 24/7 to ensure that all guests are kept happy. On our first night, we asked for our room to be changed to one with a double bed instead of twin beds, someone on reception sorted this within 20 minutes or so, with no hassle. We stayed during ramadan and I honestly couldn't believe how hard all of the waiters and chefs still worked despite being unable to eat until 7pm every day.

The best things about this hotel have got to be:

- The food at the A La Carte restaurants (Chinese being our favourite)
- The water slide pool area and wave pool at Stella Gardens
- The selection of pizzas, kebabs and fresh fish that are cooked on a barbeque inside the lobby every evening
- The bars situated within the pools
- The housekeeping service that come in and clean your room to an immaculate standard every day
- The excursions that are offered (We booked with Thomas Cook and went horse riding through the sahara, quad biking, snorkelling, camel riding, to the waterpark in Hurghada and through the ocean in a submarine)
- The overall scenery of the hotel. It is a beautiful building with stunning views all round.

The things that caused us some problems during our stay were:

- Sunbeds, virtually impossible to come across unless you are up at the crack of dawn to reserve them.

- The russians! I'm sure you've witnessed them abroad before? If you haven't then be prepared. They have absolutely no manners, no idea of what a queue is, and no consideration for any other people at the hotel but themselves. They are literally unavoidable too.

- The booking system to get into the a la carte restaurants. You basically turn up an hour before you want to eat and stand in a huge huddle of people who will push in front of you, argue and actually use physical force to make sure they get a table before you do. We were turned away three times in total and actually gave up trying to go back to the Chinese restaurant for a second time in the end)

- The queuing system in general at every bar and eating area.

- The alcohol at both hotels is poor, I practically lived on vodka and sprite the whole time as the all inclusive cocktails weren't much good, as well as the wine and beer being average. I paid around £8 at Stella Gardens for a pina colada which tasted like dirty water when it eventually arrived.

- The salesmen that work selling days out and trips are allowed to basically terrorise you both on the beach and around the poolside. They will not take no for an answer, and it becomes very frustrating after the 20th time in one day.

All in all, this was a very good holiday at a very reasonable price. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a once in a lifetime experience of Egypt.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is the second time myself and my family have visited this resort and pleased to say we had a fantastic holiday over the Easter period. We stayed in the gardens very close to the beach by the heated pool area. All the staff were helpful and very friendly and always willing to help. Our room was very clean and we always had plenty of bottled water, it is true that a small tip goes along way! There was a huge selection of food at the beach and the gardens. And we ate in the Lebanese and Indian restaurant and these were also very good. We spent the mornings on the beach snorkelling and the afternoons in the pools, There are a lot of reps on the beach trying to get you to go on quad bikes etc, but we found that by saying thank you but no thank you this seemed to work. We visited the jungle aqua park which was a great day out for all the family and my son also rode a camel, Booked through Ahmed from Gamilla stables on the beach, lovely man! Another great holiday in the beautiful Egypt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank claire y
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed 19 April 2014

While picking up a hotel for this trip we read reviews here and on other sites, and reviews for Makadi were very good for Stella Beach, however reality differs. Main specialty of this hotel are post-soviet public which does not leave hotel, usually arrives under influence and departs in similar condition. Hotel marks visitors with color bracelts depending on nationality. If you are former soviet union nationality you will be automatically adreesed in Russian language and respective manner (rather inaproriate sometimes). This poses problem for those tourists from these countries who are not drunk most of the time and prefers intelligent English rather than mostly poor Russian (Russian is much harder to master therefore Egyptians speak much better in English). My advice is to turn bracelt inside over. Due to obvious reasons, hotel facilities could have been better, we found some broken furniture in the room, tiles on the floor is no good. Another downside is food, very small choice of diet food, for example since I ate last few pieces of local bread which can be passed as more or less dietary, I never saw it refreshed and untill our leave it was only white bread to choose from. It is also first time I didnt found a milk shake in any of the bars. However my and my wife's compliments goes to Hamam - he cooks BBQ outdoors and it is really delicious, making up somehow for other flows. Most of the personnel are ok. Besides Hamam I want to thank to restoraunt manager Mohhamed, he is doing good job, which is of course very hard because of two oppposite kind of visitors. This is very important as sometimes you may find very diffirent approach, especially in the bar, where we were offended by bartender who went into some politically incorrect analysis.
Resuming our stay: this is an average hotel, my advice is to pay few hundreds extra and choose something in Hurghada itself, not in Makadi, seclusion of the area and cheaper price attracts wrong kind of guest, as a result your stay might be not good as it could be. As to managment, I want to thank you anyway and wish you inspiration in improvment. Remember, that sometimes you can teach some of your guests how to behave properly, but political sciences should be excluded in that respect. Shukran!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndyNagorny
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have just returned from an Easter school holiday "week in the sun" with my 5 1/2 year old son (his first trip abroad, my third visit to Egypt over the years) - booked through Thomas Cook. Firstly, to re-confirm much of what I'd read in other reviews prior to going:
1. Staff - overall couldn't have been more friendly, helpful or accomodating - imparting a little 'special' feeling to us both with regular greetings etc, as we relaxed and enjoyed our holiday. A small tip goes a long way to rewarding their attentiveness !
2. Room - we were allocated a ground floor room in the Beach complex (nothing was made clear in post on-line booking info from Thomas Cook as to which part of the resort we might be staying, so be preared to ask of your holiday company if necessary). Room location was very near to the beach; main pool and the "central area" of reception/main buffet/terrace & bar. This was overall very convenient and the room was clean & comfortable; wonderfully maintained by room service, e.g. we were asked on 1st day if we wanted extra daily water.
The only downside being that the post 9pm evening entertainment could be heard even above the air-con! It was not a huge problem to either of us and always finished by 11pm latest. But, if you think it could be for you or your family, ask to be in a block marginally further away from either of the stages / central areas. In my opinion, the distances to food and facilities are neglible and easy to walk, wherever you may stay in the resort.
3. Food - as one would expect from an all-incl geared resort, both choice & quantity was plentiful. It is true to say that the buffets (and other aspects such as entertainment) are geared a little towards Eastern European taste (I'd estimate 50% of resort guests were Russian; although the resort seemed only approx half occupied, which I found surprising).
However, in the buffet there was an abundance of choice in salads; bread and pasta stations; nightly grills, desserts & so on - so not difficult to find things to both of our tastes and one or two more 'exotic' things to try out. I did persuade my son out of the buffet & into the a la carte twice (be prepared to ask & make clear on the advertised booking system!) - the Italian was OK and Indian very good (with option of a mainstream kid's menu).
At busiest times, the buffet felt a little crowded with people around the food service areas - however the tables inside were plentiful or one could take food out to to the adjoining lobby/terrace areas for a bit more space, which we often did.
4. Facilities / Entertainment - primarliy we went to enjoy sun & the pools, and weren't at all disappointed ! The choice of pools, from the "quieter", through kids' pools and up to the main pools (with the swim up bars) was excellent, e.g. no problem in my son using the waterslides, always finding a convenient location of loungers etc. The beach area is spacious and well maintained and a nice aspect that I found was the amount of grassed areas throughout the resort - perhaps not common to too many hotels in Egypt ?
One day we tried out snorkelling from the resorts' jetty which, although the reef was not spectacular by any means, offered easy and safe access and enough to see for the non-demanding. Because I could find no info prior to travelling, I will add: the resort does NOT provide snorkelling equipment to guests (I played safe and bought and took our own) - however there are a shops on-site with a good range and probably cheaper than UK.
A slight downside - the constant attentions of the "trip reps" can become wearing, as they freely & regularly operate around all the "common" areas. They are clearly sanctioned by the resort as the majority of services they are selling, e.g.diving/boat trips; quad-bikes, spa, operate from on-site. The individuals were pleasant enough but persistent and willing to refute any argument - only on our last days did the "not interested, only here for a week" take effect !

Overall - very pleased with the resort; very suitable for both young child and adult and overall met all my expectations.

**TIP** - you may save some money and time by NOT booking the holiday company airport transfer and opting for a local taxi: £10 - £15 each way I was told by another family of four, as compared to £25pp (and 3 hotel stops, of which Stella the last) on TC coach.

Room Tip: If you want restful, request a room at least 300m from either of the reception / central areas
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick K
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

First time to Egypt, visited 1st-11th April (3 adults,2 children 10&8). Arrived at the hotel with a friendly welcome from the reception staff. We got shown to our rooms which were next to each other. They were nice and clean with a balcony that overlooked the slide pool (requested this via email to the hotel directly
2 weeks before) thank you.
First day, breakfast choice of toast, fried eggs etc, omelette, pancakes, cereals. Decided to look round the hotel to get bearings and see what was about.
Lunch, not much selection by the pools so we decided to eat in the main restaurant (lots of choice).
Tea, main restaurant a wide selection. Also, in this hotel their is a Chinese & Lebanese. You need to queue and book these restaurant's at 6pm. Gets fully booked quite quickly so get there a little bit early.
There is also an Italian & Indian in the hotel and you can get to this by shuttle bus which picks up outside main reception.
Evening entertainment, they have a mini disco at 8-9pm for the children which the animation team get involved in followed by different themes every night which we enjoyed!!
Animation work really hard so big thanks to Adam,Messi,Casper,Lucy,Julia,Silke & Raymon for making our holiday memorable. EGYPT WE LOVE YOU!!
All the bar staff are always happy and go that extra mile to help you. We have made a lot of friends here and with the animation team will never forget you guys!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family