“Best holiday in a long time...”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The good bits - lovely hotel, friendly staff and good service, beautiful pools and beach! This hotel has 2 hotels - beach and gardens - I stayed in the beach hotel which was closer to the beach - the gardens hotel was slightly newer and had the wave and slides pool - i would recommend gardens hotel for families with children. You can visit both hotels restaurants, bars and pools and there is a free shuttle bus between the two hotels. The trips are amazing - would highly recommend dolphin safari :-) Quad biking and beach trip were also great! The entertainment was good - kids disco every night for an hr and then adults entertainment - belly dancers, live singers, sand art, once a week beach party etc. The animation team made the effort to speak in EVERY language - as there were a variety of russian, polish, german, english, spanish etc. The buffet restaurant had a different theme every night so it didn't get boring but some items the same for picky eaters - pasta bar, kids sections etc. desserts were the highlight for me. My partner is very picky but he always found something to eat. Lunch could get a bit samey - chips with either sandwich, hotdog, burger or pitta with meat in. The bad bits - a'la carte restaurants were hard to book but they changed the booking system part way through our stay which meant we could book all our weeks visits at once instead of lots of queuing. Toilets around the pool area are not clean (mainly to be fair because the mixture of hot weather + toilet = smell) i went back to my room when i needed the toilet. Also air con sometimes switched off in the restaurant area which made it very hot to eat in 35 degree heat. Do not visit Hurghada town - all the shops are the same and u will get hassled ALOT! Overall we were happy with our stay and really enjoyed it, i would recommend it to other couples and families.

Room Tip: have a pool or beach view - worth the extra pennies
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laurenmk22
Write a ReviewReviews (2,999)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is a JOKE ! Stayed here for 11 nights me (27) my mum (51) and my sister (11) and couldn't wait to go home!we had problem after problem and the management are rubbish.firstly the food....I cannot stress enough how bad it is the resteraunt is like a cattle market so if u have already booked make sure you book at the al a carte every night.my mum got food poisoning and was in bed for 2 days crying.crack dirty cups and glasses and had to clear tables before you could sit down.not nearly enough staff for the size of the place.its red hot and the pool was nice although don't have a lie in or you won't get a sun bed!our room was not cleaned for the first week and was thick with dust so complained to management and had it cleaned only to then be approached by the cleaner to say I had made problem for him and I shouldn't have complained!good luck getting a cold drink as the glasses are all warm and when we asked for a cold glass the excuse was 'hey were busy'!except the main bar drinks are served in small plastic cups not what I expected!we had no entertainment as they had all been sacked 2 days before we got there so we were in our room by 9 every night!there are no ice creams yes no ice cream in an all inclusive so we had to buy ice Lollys from the shop at £2.50 each!!my sisters pillow was stained with blood!asked for it to be changed and didn't even get an apology.the resteraunt manager is lovely so if you have problems with the food then ask for him(Osama).the Russians are very very rude so don't let them push in as they will try.the vodka is like paint stripper!!in my opinion this is definitely not a 5 or 4 star hotel and needs dropping down.worst holiday we ever had and was sick of moaning.if I could give you any more advice I would say don't go!if you have already booked then change hotels!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank gemlaurendee
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Not really sure where to start - we land and go through passport control and have to pay £19 per person for a visa (make sure you have correct money, won't get change) to then leave the airport and sit on a coach for over an hour waiting to start making stops at the different hotels. We arrived at the hotel at around 11pm there local time, checked in got told Food had been put on for us and to go to the main restaurant (if you can avoid between 7-8pm as it is like a cattle market and will have very rude Russians pushing you around to get Food) the food was just warm and the restaurant was dirty, they were starting to clean as we sit and ate the bit of food we choose. We then went to our room - the room was ok and clean (after all it's just somewhere to rest your head at night) - after this it went downhill daily, every meal that was chosen by myself ended in me running to the toilet, had to stay close to the room so I could go back at any time - spent most of my time by the pool bar, close to the entertainment court. In the end most days I avoided eating most of the day, and would try eating bits when I felt hungry, whatever I choose didn't matter ended in running back to the room. Didn't enjoy the Italian al la carte restaurant, I ordered lasagne and in some parts it was warm and other parts Hot. 2 days before coming home, a notice was put up in the hotel to say there was a outbreak of sickness and diarrhoea within the hotel - REALLY ! I could of them that on day 1! plastic glasses you get at the bars and beach bar are stupid, you have 2 sips and it's gone, in the restaurants at night they would run out of glasses and would have to wait for them, glasses, plates and cutlery all were on short supply, we would wait some nights for 10 minutes to get cutlery to eat.
We were in room 7007 and on the 2nd night got woke at midnight to room 7008 blasting out music till gone 3am, other guests were coming from the 2nd and 3rd floor to bang on the door to shut them up, they never answered the door just turned the music up, I went to reception along with my husband to complain and he was looking in all other directions other than at us, and just asked us for our room number and said he would let the manager know. I found him very rude and not very helpful at all. In the reception the air con was on all day, come evening time it was off, on a number of occasions I went to reception to be asked for it to be turned on to be told there was a power cut and they would call the engineer
! That never happened.
I do not save up for over 13 months and work my socks off to go away on holiday and spend most of my vacation on the toilet - I have weighed myself now being back and lost 4LB in weight ! Who loses weight on holiday that isn't normal. I will never return to the hotel ever again.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank EmmaIson30
Reviewed 14 August 2014

When you arrive go to the bank counter on the left (Ignore the rude and aggressive Thomas Cook Rep- He isn't linked to them) This is a scary experience!

The positives: Italian Buffet restaurant- eat here in the morning and night! Look out for Milad, he deserves promoting. All the staff here work hard and make an effort; you get amazing service and better quality food. The special restaurants are also good if you can get in; Siad in the Indian is hilarious! - although ignore pricelist if you're all inclusive and show your wrist band. Rooms were nice and we had a wonderful housekeeper called Mohammed- he really made an effort. The sea is good and lots of snorkelling.

Unfortunately this is where the positives end.
The rep in the welcoming meeting is more concerned about selling trips and gives you no hotel information at all.
This is not a 4* or 5*; it's more of a 3* at the generous side. The pools are large but not cleaned or filtered. One of our party ended up with a rash due to the film that covers it and the stuff that floats on top. At one point someone had been ill in the pool and it took a long time for anything to be done.
The main restaurant is a sham- too many rude yet greedy people who do not know how to queue. Dont expect All inclusive service and you're lucky to get tables/plates or glasses.There is no air con here either so expect a very hot and sticky experience. The food is not catered for anyone except a certain country and was luke warm in places. It's such a shame they didnt even have an Egyptian themed evening... so if you're looking for culture it won't be found here.

Not all staff are friendly or happy but they work long hours and are treated badly by other guests.

Overall there is not enough space to write all the complaints down and I wish I was being a typical moany person but this is not the case. Such a disappointing experience ... and please don't choose this as your holiday. Research into other hotels or areas.

The evening entertainment is catered for one nationality and the children are ignored if not from this country- such a shame.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank norgreat
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is our second time here at Stella Makadi and loved it as much as last time!
The staff were very friendly and helpful, never pestered you for a tip. The room was keep clean up to high standards and a great view from the ground floor balcony of a sea view room, which we had paid extra for ( room 5028).
The food was good and there were many choices to from, including many desserts, bread, hot meals. The beach bar served food at lunch, a choice of pasta, pizza, chips and another meal which was changed every day - burgers, hotdogs, koftas, naan like bread filled with a nice chicken stuffing.
Days here were spent relaxing by the pool. Lotfy the pool bar man was very nice and funny, he would always top up your drinks if he saw your cup empty - always liked to keep you happy!
Overall this holiday was as good as our last one here. We would like to come back here over the next couple of years with the rest of our family, to have a bit of time together and some fun days, as we know it would be enjoyable here at Stella Makadi!
We look forward to coming back sometime over the next couple of years!

Room Tip: The relax pool on the right side of the hotel was best! No people would come along and try to sell y...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Lydia M
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in the beach part of this complex from 29/7-12/8, 2 adults,2 children (12,14).
After the experience of the arrival at Hurgarda airport, pay for you visa at the bank counter on the left as you walk in to avoid being ripped off, check in at the hotel was smooth and there was even food put on for our late arrival.
We had interconnecting rooms on the second floor which were cleaned daily and fresh water and towels provided. Despite other reviews we would turn up at the quiet pool at about 9.30 every morning and could always find a sunbed, we would move these onto the grass area under the palm trees which would provide shade throughout the day but you will still get burnt if not fully protected, this is Egypt and it HOT day and night, if you don't like heat don't go. The other good bit about this area is that the beach sellers are not allowed there, although I would strongly advise that you do not purchase any trips from them.
The food is your basic all inclusive affair although not as good as some other hotels we have holidayed at. We had no problems with the other nationalities and the queuing for food seemed to work well. If you can, avoid the restaurants between 7.15&8.15 as this is peak time. The booking system for the al a carte restaurants has now changed although again we did not have a problem booking.
Eat breakfast in either the Italian buffet restaurant or the pastry restaurant next to the bar, if you can't get booked into the al a cartes again eat in the Italian buffet but avoid the peak times.
The evening entertainment is not great and there needs to be more variety in the day, although if you like snorkelling then the coral reef at the end of the pier is great (thank you Gary).
There are not enough staff employed at the hotel and this may be a fallout from last year but due to this they keep running out of glasses, plates and cutlery, there is only one beer tap on at night in the bar, soft drinks is help yourself and the staff that are employed work long hours for little pay.
For this to be classed as a 4 star hotel food hygiene MUST be improved as does customer service and if you get full air conditioning in the bar, restaurant and reception area for your entire stay then well done.
With a few tweaks this could be a good resort but as we departed after 2 weeks we agreed that we would not return to this resort unless changes are made.Thomas Cook need to seriously look at their star ratings as we would class this as 3 star, we are travelling to Turkey next year to another Thomas Cook 4 star, let's hope it's not another REALLY.
We made some great friends and all in all it was a good holiday which could have been great

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On the whole well maintained hotel with a great layout and really pleasant to walk around.... Our room was really nice. Plenty of things going on.... What a shame the food not up to British standards. Majority of Brits there which was a very small percent compared to russians got some sort of bug so beware.
We all grouped in the heated pool area... In the relaxation pool which had the best batman there called Mohammed.... He was outstanding and worked very hard for long hours in the extreme heat.... He was always happy and polite and knew his customers.... He just seemed to know who was next..... Even though some (not Brits) tried push in slamming their glasses on the bar.... He just carried on serving in turn. He spoke several languages and was funny and polite and smiled all the time. I'm sure others will agree who was there at the same time as us... Thanks Mohammed - you were the best!
DJ fox and messi best in the animation team.. Nice walk on the jetty too and shuttle service reliable .... You get harassed by people selling you things. Big difference in price of things at the market square and in the hotel reception area so beware!
I think I would have enjoyed better if I wasn't ill for 9 days though which has put me off from going again.
All in all the food spoils what could be an amazing hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014