“Stella Makadi is nice, check out Makadi Palace before you choose!”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We have just returned from a week in the Stella Makadi, having supposed to have been in Thailand before being cancelled due to the current problems.

We chose Hurghada because neither of us had been there before but between us, we had been to Taba and Sharm.

Upon arrival, we were extremely pleased with our choice of hotel. It was well looked after, the rooms were nice and there was a good atmosphere around the place. It is situated right on the beach and has various things to do on site, including quad biking, camel and horse riding, a Spa, a well equipped gym as well as the swimming pools. If you are happy with staying within the resort, then this is a good place to travel to.

The standard of the rooms never faltered and were cleaned to a high standard each day and the taxi services offered from the hotel were excellent. The staff, particularly in the restaurants, were excellent too, whether you tipped them or not.

Unfortunately, the hotel entertainment of an evening is completely useless and there is not a lot to do of an evening if you don't like it!

Outside of this, for us, we were disappointed with the overall holiday. We met people out in Makadi who we knew from home and who were staying at the Makadi Palace and both of them and I were ill for several days and this was a common theme around the resort, not just out hotel, but others from the Makadi area. From this, I didn't really eat any of the food on offer within the restaurants. I was put off for having been ill for three days and although the range of food is good and I am not a fussy eater at all, a lot of it still was not appetizing.

We spent most of our days on holiday on the beach and you get constantly harassed by people from the hotel trying to get you to go and spend money in their areas, the Spa staff, the quad biking staff, the henna tattoo people etc and it is all day, every day and it drove us crazy. Some do not take no for an answer and are so persistent that you end up having to be rude to them so that they will go away, only for them to return the next day.

The same sales tactics are applied if you travel into the main Hurghada town, which is a 30-45 minute drive from the hotel. Each and every shop has someone stood outside of it and they will grab you, stand in your way and shout at you if you don't go and have a look. The best way we found was to completely not engage them in the slightest. We were not impressed with Hurghada town but just along from here is a new Hugh Street sort of area which contains the well advertised nightclub called The Little Buddha. If you use this as a reference to the taxi drivers, this is the only way that you will find it because no one seemed to know the name of this road. This area has a more cosmopolitan feel with small shops, coffee shops and bars but can again be walked down and up in an hour or so.

If you get a taxi back from here - beware! There is a small border that you will have to go through to get back to Makadi from Hurghada and the taxi driver will get charged to go through. Set the price of your taxi before leaving Hurghada and DO NOT pay the charge for the border. The drivers will try and get you to pay it for them on top of your fixed price and as told to us by the reps, it is NOT our job to pay for this. They are extremely persistent and will chase you from their cab when you don't pay it for them, as we experienced.

In all, there is not a lot to keep you occupied if you do choose Hurghada, outside of the day to day activities. The quad biking was OK, but having done it in Tunisia, was nowhere near the standard of this and was slow and dull in comparison. Talking of this, a lot of people now say that Tunisia is a similar holiday destination to Egypt and we went last year. If I had to choose which was better for me, I would choose Tunisia. The hotel definitely will not be as good as Egypt but the activities such as the quad biking and beach buggying are so much better. For those who like the pool and beach, you still also get this.

If you choose to travel to Hurghada, there is only one place to stay within Makadi and that's Makadi Palace. This is where our friends stayed and we went over for an evening and it was absolutely breathtaking. It cost them £100 more than us each to stay there but was so worth it. If we hadn't have been to this place, we would have said our hotel was five star. If Stella Makadi is five, Makadi Palace is seven.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danb01
Write a ReviewReviews (2,999)

Reviewed 1 May 2010

value for money,,, fantastice ,, i well recommended for famillys with teen agers , to be able to meet so meny people from all over the world is great , food was very good , restorants are very clean and full of meny choices ,

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sanaaawad
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Summary
Overall a very comfortable and relaxing stay. I would recommend this resort on the grounds of a thoroughly excellent staff at the hotel and a good selection of hotel amenities to keep you entertained: the gym is good; jogging/running is safe in the vast hotel grounds; snorkelling off the house reef is fantastic and there is a very professional, reasonably priced diving centre (Orca Divers) on site, too.

Weather
In April when we stayed for 5 out of 7 days there is a very strong north-easterly wind which does take the edge off the temperature; for the remaining 2 days, the wind drops considerable and comes from the south, which brings the temperature up to the mid 30s. Obviously this is more than adequate and indeed probably preferable to the intensity of the summer heat, but just something to bear in mind.

Accommodation
The ‘bog standard’ double room was large enough but had no bath. It was cleaned to a high standard each day, although the timing of this was never the same for 2 days in a row. Also, I would recommend you request through your tour operator a non-ground floor, south-facing room.

Right, lots of people we spoke to whilst there - in correlation to some articles I read on this hotel on this website prior to departure - bemoaned the repetitive/bland nature of the menu. My girlfriend and I actually thought the food was absolutely fine for the week we were there (2 weeks would see repetition on the themed dinner menus). Being almost 100% an All Inclusive (AI) resort, meal times could be most infuriating due wholly to the complete lack of manners and quite spectacular level of greed displayed by the Russian guests of the hotel.

As a means of expectation management just think about what time you will eat (after 8pm works well) - after all for dinner there is a big-enough meal window between 1830 and 2200. There is a huge choice of hot and cold food for all 3 meals, with most stuff being labelled up - some of it not.

Drink
No problems here. Staff respond well to manners and the service is good. Minor tipping mid-stay only enhances this. The beer is decent enough, the wine very weak. Cocktails/mixers as part of the AI package were allegedly not too good. Shame the beach bar closes at 1700hrs as this is arguably the best time to sit down there (provided you have a wind break).

Trips out
The hotel ‘recommended’ trip to Hurghada was overall quite ghastly. DO go on a Thursday (busy night; more atmosphere) and use it as a chance to have a bite and a drink either on the Marina or on the Southern (MacDonalds) end of Sheraton St. DO NOT buy any souvenirs here as 1. you can get them all in the air side of HURGHADA airport as your leave and 2. they are cheaper in the airport, the vendors clearly display their prices, which are nearly all fixed, which saves yet more painful haggling with the aggressive vendors on Sheraton Street.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank W12UK
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I went to the Stella Makadi hotel in Makadi Bay the first week of Easter 2010 with my 17 year old daughter traveling with Sunset Holidays (Thomas Cook). It was our first visit to Egypt – we normally go the Caribbean and our comments tend to compare to what we usually get in the Caribbean.

Overall Summary
A good place for a week’s break but food and entertainment were so poor (apart from the entertainment provided by the Russians!) couldn’t have stood 2 weeks of it. Also for an all-inclusive hotel there were a lot of extras that had to be paid for. Great not to have jet lag on coming home.

Good points
• The pools were large and clean. We stayed around the main activity pools but only the pool bar one is slightly heated. The other larger pool (nearer the sea) was freezing (colder than the sea) and took a bit of getting used to.
• The sunbeds were plentiful with enough parasols for every group to have one. The sunbeds were the soft mesh style – very comfortable and had a separate ‘face shade’ which was ideal especially if reading.
• The weather was excellent – there were virtually no clouds in the sky and the temperature was great – not too hot or too cool – but after about 4pm started to get chillier – no sun for sunbathing after 5pm
• The rooms were well furnished and in good clean condition
• There was ice cream available every day between 3pm and 5pm at the beach bar – choc and mango amongst the flavours available
• The gym (on the first floor in the spa building) was very modern and had a treadmill, a cross-trainer and a bike plus some weights machines. Over-looked the beach so great to workout in (and air-conditioned)
• In the main bar there was a saxophonist and a flautist who played about 5 nights we were there and were very good.
• Most of the staff were really friendly and made an effort to get to know the guests
• My daughter informed me the disco was good – I never went
• We had spectacular views from our room over the pool are to the bay beyond
• The holiday was a very good price - £950 for the 2 of us for a week all-inclusive
• It was my birthday whilst we were there and they laid a special table in the main restaurant with flower petals and a candle on it and the birthday cake was the nicest we have ever had at a hotel (and myself and my daughter have had many birthdays abroad given that our birthdays tend to fall in the Easter fortnight) – my daughter did arrange this with reception but said they had a list at reception with guests who had birthdays whilst they were there.
Excellent snorkelling - saw parrot fish, butterfly & angel fish, lion fish and loads more.

Bad points
• Choice of food – tended to be meat and 2 veg type meals although there was the pasta bar and the salad area – but as nothing was labeled in the salad area very difficult to decide if you wanted anything – things tended to be mousse like and after trying one very bland one didn’t bother again. Potatoes quite often in sauces – no chips ever served in main restaurant – served once at beach bar at lunch time that we went. I found myself going to breakfast just to get something decent to eat.
• The queue at the beach bar for lunch was horrendous and slow – but if you just wanted a cold sandwich and salad you could get that OK
• The evening entertainment consisted of the standard children’s disco – followed by some singers – followed by a ‘show’ – most shows were just dancing – no audience participation – no Master of ceremonies – one show (the acrobatic show) was so painfully show I just went back to my room to read my book. Also viewing for the shows was very restricted.
• We never got our TV to work for more than 5 minutes before it switched itself off but didn’t complain to reception about this either as we weren’t bothered about watching it.
• Our sink in the bathroom didn’t have a plug and despite reporting was never fixed (but one light bulb we reported was changed)
• Partially my fault this as daughter found the holiday and I perhaps didn’t read it as closely as I should have – the a la carte restaurants are not part of the all-inclusive (15Euros per head for a 3-course meal but most drinks were included) – neither is some bottled water, the popcorn served in the evenings, the pool, the table tennis, the tennis, the mini-golf. I suppose I’m just so used to all of this being included I didn’t check carefully enough. Also very confusing – at the main bar the drinks menu has prices against everything – however if you are all inclusive you only pay for the international ones.

Things to be aware of
• The place was full of Russians who could be quite rude – pushing into queues at the restaurant etc. They drank a lot and when drunk (or maybe they were sober and act like this all the time) they had the wildest dance style ever (think 70s Saturday Night Fever) which was very entertaining. They also tended to take/waste more food than even the Americans do and I hate to see food wasted.
• The beach is quite gritty so not ideal for making sandcastles etc – further round the bay it is sandy.
• The kid’s corner for food seemed to just contain about 4 of the dishes that were available anyway in the main food area.
• The all-inclusive finishes at 11pm on the dot.
• Bottled water is only available from the main bar between 10am and 11pm and also in the main restaurant at lunch and dinner – they charge for it anywhere else and also if you ask for your room fridge to be filled. There are water dispensers however that you can fill a water bottle from.
• The evenings are quite cool and it’s a long time since I went on a trip like this so I only had one cardigan – but some people only seemed to have coats they had traveled in – remember to take a couple of cover-ups for this.
• There are really no ‘paddling’ facilities in the sea as when the tide goes out it goes way out. The main way into the sea for swimming is off ladders form the jetty about 2/3 down and at the very end (snorkeling area and boat mooring) – they will not allow you in the water at the end of the jetty when the tide is coming in as the current is very strong. It is better to go snorkeling when the tide is in as you have the depth to swim over the coral as well as along the side of it.
I was woken most mornings by cleaning staff shouting at each other across corridors etc (about 7:30am) - not very friendly - would recommend ear plugs for that reason

All in all I would recommend it to friends with caveats.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank eawest29
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I intended to relax and soak up the sun, read, eat, drink, snorkel and sleep, and thats exactly what I did! Yes, us Brits were in the minority, but who cares. The world is a diverse place! However I did think that some of the majority guests were rude and loud though, and in my view, manners dont cost anything, I felt sorry for the staff. The hotel was imaculately clean and my room , which overlooked the pool and had a sea view was spotless, with the sheets and towels changed every day. The staff were polite and helpful, and entertaining in the bar. The main restaurant was very busy at prime eating times but I thought that the food was really well presented and each night there was a themed dish prepared by the chefs at the buffet. In short I think they did a fantastic job in view of the vast numbers of guests they had to cater for.
The animation team did their best to encourage people to join in and the music by the pool was great. Great pool design, and comfortable light sunbeds with canopys to sheild your eyes for reading. Excellant. The temp was getting really hot when I was there , so at 35 degrees, this was a little uncomfortable if the breeze stopped, but lovely all the same.
I would not hesitate to go back , full marks from me Stella Makadi !!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank smithcm4
Reviewed 5 April 2010

This is a very pleasant, tidy and spotless hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is good with a reasonable amount of variety.
However this hotel lets itself down on two major fronts.
1 Except for the beach bar ,which provides a pleasant but limited lunch there is only one dining area for the all inclusive package ,which is very nice but is too large with the buffet serving areas far too small to cope with the amount of guests . Im 49 and my girlfriend is 40 we often felt like we were trying to navigate "Oxford Street" on a pre Christmas Saturday!
There are two specialist restaurants an Italian and a Indian but you have to pay a supplement for these.
2 There are only two places you can have a drink of an evening time, one indoors which is a no smoking bar and is again pleasant providing a very good saxophone a flute duo, playing modern jazz numbers, however they play the same numbers night after night. The other is outside which provides various run of the meal entertainment dancers , singers etc
The swimming pools were very nice but were not warm enough for a comfortable swim.
With more dining areas , more bars and warmer pools this would be an excellent hotel .

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2010

lovely hotel, great looking pools, very clean and great rooms. it aspires to be a 5* and could be but the management are unsure when dealing with problems. They are reluctant to discuss face to face and ask the staff toact as go betweens. This coupled with poorly cooked food and little choice at buffet times was a big let don to us. The 2 a la cartes' food is similar to the buffets (other guests and us believed that some did actualy come from the buffet) and is costly, the wine being well over £20 a bottle and you have paid for AI.
On Tripadvisor and at the hotel everyone says that there is no where close you can go ie. for a walk to a bar or restaurant but there is. Go left at the beach and walk to the makardi centre, not the first one which which is next to the hotel as this is squalid. You have to walk through the 3rd hotel down from the Stella. It takes 10-15 min. to walk, just ask when you get to the third hotel as it is a bit awkward to find. There are several rest. and a couple of bars one shows Prem. football. Food is better and cheaper than Stella and its interesting - a break from the stella.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple