“A week of luxury”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A week of luxury”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The Makadi Spa is billed as a 5 star hotel , butin reality is a little closer to 4 stars I think.
During our stay , the hotel was only 20% full , and as a consequence the Hotel Staff we extremely attantive, and provided a friendly warm service.
Hotel does not allow Children , which was an added bonus. The rooms are spacious , and very well appointed , and air conditioning very effective.
Outside pool areas were outstanding, with the infinity pool overlooking the Red Sea giving great views , and cold enough to be refreshing.

Onsite restaraunts were superb, with the Sea Food Restaraunt overlooking the sea , probably taking first place.

Small annoyance was the building work ongoing. Hotel is only 50 % completed , and while noise etc were kept to an absolute minimum , the completion ofthe new International restaraunt , providing may different cuisines , will add a much needed variety of palces to get Lunch.

6 Thank Meekay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We had a wonderful relaxing time at the Makadi Spa. The staff coundn't be more helpful especially the staff around the pool area, nothing was to much trouble. The beach provided easy access for snokerling amougst the coral looking at the many differeint fish. The food in the Asian restaurant was superb, (we went there 3 times) the fish and steak restaurant very good. Plus the meals in the Makdi Grand and Palace restaurants were very good. The Infinity swimming pool was delightful but the other large pool was a bit of a disappointment, in the later days of our holidat it developed a leak and after many different scenarios we were told that it would be fixed maybe in three days. Also work was still being done to the spa hotel so it could be a little noisy when around the pool but it didn't disturbed us when we were in our room. Service and cleaning of the room was also very good. Had a great holiday

8 Thank Ann P
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife has already been here before (in November 2011) with her sister and insisted that 'we' needed to go.
So we went.
2nd March to 9th March. I haven't been abroad for a couple of years due to dogs and enjoying Cornwall too much, however I had the best weeks holiday ever at the Makadi Spa hotel and now wished we had gone for 2 weeks as 1 week went too fast!

The staff on reception and at the restaurants go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The food at breakfast, lunch and dinner was very nice. We tried all the restaurants in the Makadi Spa as well as some others in neighbouring Red Sea Hotels that you are able to book a table at.

My favourites were the Steak House and the Fish Restaurant, both at the back of the hotel (near the beach). The waiters were excellent and one Captain in particular, “314” Mustafa Sayed was very memorable. Funny, great personality and an ‘English’ sense of humour.

Mohammed in the fish restaurant was also a very nice gentleman who was very warm and sincere towards us.

A guy from the Lobby Bar remembered my wife from her visit in November, I think he was her favourite! Also the young man at the Infinity bar should get a mention too, he was very professional.

The Makadi Spa will be great when it is fully finished, but I can say with hand on heart that not once did the building work distract me from my book and sunbathing whilst sitting around the pool. All work seems to be going on in the back round and noise is kept to an absolute minimum.

The only thing I would say is the pools were a little cold as although the weather was great every day, it is obviously still their 'winter' months. You would think they would wonder why no one goes in for a swim! May be some sort of solar panel heating system would be of benefit here.

Also as other people have mentioned, I did notice uninvited / unauthorised people coming up the stairs from the beach to have a look at the infinity pool, on the whole this is fair enough, I would probably want a quick look myself as this is the ‘showcase’ hotel and looks amazing from the beach. However on one occasion my wife and I found ourselves sunbathing between a visiting large family (with kids!) who had decided to come and have a good look around and take a photo opportunity. On the way out they actually walked between our sun beds which I though was very rude of them, it also made me feel vulnerable about how easily people could just walk up the stairs and onto the ‘private’ pool…
If this family were ‘on the steal’ this would have been an easy target.

I would have thought one of the beach boys would be straight over but nothing. After this I felt a bit wide open up on the Makadi Spa stage.

They do need to tighten their security on the rear stairs from the beach as after this ‘visit’ we were nervous leaving our belongings by the beds whilst we ate lunch at the nearby Infinity Bar. You do not expect to have to gather up your belonging at a five star hotel. On the beach may be, but certainly not ‘poolside’.

Another thing, I felt the hotel favours German visitors over British (room magazine language, room allocation etc). I mentioned this to one of the nice chaps on reception. He agreed that this may 'seem' the case but insisted that it is not! However it was suggested that Germans do tend to return to the same place more often than the British, which in some way is true for me. But I will definitely be going back.

We did have the stereotypical Germans putting their beach towels on the beds that we had used for the two days prior to their arrival, but we had the last laugh when they looked up and saw that we had an excellent beach and pool view from our very nice balcony, I wanted to wave.

I’m still convinced we somehow got a ‘German’ room which was great!!

Room Tip: Speak with a German accent
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Tony H
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Having been transferred here as a taster we could not beleive our luck. The standard room or suites are finished in such style, huge bed, huge TV and a large wet room with a window into the main bedroom! A bit weird watching your partner shower but we were told it is the in thing?
The hotel is about 80% complete and although work was continuing it was not noticable. The main factor was the lack of guests.
Plenty of staff who were helpful and friendly.
The infinity pool and area with canopy sunbeds was to die for, so relaxing and so well finished.
The food was excellant and we enjoyed dinning overlooking the sea at night.
Not for children really, this is an adult paradise!

Room Tip: 6023 - overlooks the Palace garden but close to the lobby and access to the pool. Watch out for som...
5 Thank Trevor B
blackpool ,uk
Reviewed 3 June 2012

we upgraded from the grand makadi , after asking to have a look around ,The hotel isnt finished yet but you wouldnt really know apart from a bit of hammering now and again .The room we had was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the pools, it was a junior suite, The bathroom was fab ,as was the bed and lounge area ,all you would expect from a 5 star spa hotel.The pool areas are great and very well designed. Food was really good and the difference between here and the sister hotel was massively different ,the quality was great i can recommend the steak...mmmmmm.The staff are really helpfull and cant do enough, we can but imagine how good this hotel will be when its fully finished ?, ive read a previous review saying fittings were bad , well granted a few light fittings are bit loose etc but this is egypt not america. I would have no hesitation in putting any of my family in this hotel and would def go back.. was just a shame we only had 3 nights in it.

Room Tip: ask for views of the pool
5 Thank glyn B
bucks
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just come back from a 1 week stay at the Makadi Spa Hotel, in Makadi Bay, had the most amazing week, lots of sun, sea, good beach, excellent food .The hotel is not is not quite finished and work is still ongoing and there is some building noise during the day. Only 3 restaurants are in operation. We experienced a problem in the Fish restaurant the service was very slow 2 1/2 hours to complete the meal.ony time we had an issue during our stay. The reason was the restaurant was busier than usual and this caused the waiters to completely have a meltdown. Nobody took control and there appeared to be no overall manager in charge. There was only a few guests staying so getting a sun bed was no issue The hotel is finished to a very high standard. All the staff were attentive and polite and went out of their way to solve an issue no matter how small they were. We had a junior room it was wonderful, equipped with a Mini bar, 42” LCD wall mounted TV, massive bed, massive balcony, air conditioning, wet room with shower and an enormous bath that would take an age to fill. The only thing missing was tea or coffee making facilities. Beach Towels are changed each evening and a bag is provided to carry them in. Each evening at around 5pm room service brought a plate of appetizers which were very nice. This hotel will be out of the world when it is finished my only concern is how the waiters will perform when more guest are staying there. Staff expecting a tip is a bit annoying

6 Thank whfa2004
Wilmslow
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Wow! My husband and I upgraded from the Grand Makadi Hotel to this, the Makadi Spa and never a day did we regret. Everything from it's super friendly and efficient staff to stunning setting and Infinity pool overlooking the red sea to the fabulous Japanese/Oriental restaurant that would give any first class London restaurant a run for its money, we would thrilled. We are very discerning travellers and you cannot be disappointed by this place. Book it! You will have the best relaxing week ever.

Room Tip: Spa not yet open as I write this. Ask for junior suite
7 Thank Ann B