“Best holiday ever”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makadi Bay
The Makadi Spa Hotel (Adults Only)
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Stayed here 28 sept till 5oct and I must say it was one of the best holidays that we have ever had and we've been to Egypt 20+ times in the last few years we enjoyed it so much that we are booked fo two weeks in July.the food was amazing I had steak on four different occasions and every one was cooked perfectly the room was huge as was the balcony and it was cleaned very well every day the staff go out of there way to keep you happy even the reception staff where friendly which I,ve found in most other hotels are not.The staff at the pool are always there to make sure you have always got a drink and as for the resteraunts top notch and very professional. If you have an iPad you can download the daily papers but I found the wifi a lot faster in the palace so I went there every morning and downloaded them hopefully the spa will be faster when we return so if anyone is thinking of booking this hotel just do it we where there the week that the bad reviews where written and can say hand on heart we did not see any of the problems that some people where moaning at but everyone is different we would def recomend to friends and family

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank walkermanPerth
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed at the Makadi Spa for two weeks from 5th October. I must admit I had read some very bad reports leading up to our holiday and I am very very happy to be able to say..DONT BELIEVE THEM!. This is honestly the best hotel we have ever stayed in in all our visits to Egypt. We were greated with a glass of wine and a much appreciated cold flannel. We were booked in very quickly and given a short guided tour of the hotel before being shown to our room.

The room was fantastic, big, bright, and kept wonderfully clean, our only slight disapointment was that the view from our balcony was of the Makadi Palace and not the pools, but as we have already booked to go back next year we requested a pool view next time and were told that we could have one. The mini bar is free of charge and was a brilliant addition as you could take a bottle of pop down with you in the mornings to keep you going until the bar opened.

The pool area was wonderful, with lots of sunbeds but if you wanted ones right by the pool you did have to be up early to beat the BRITS! The waiters were great, it was lovely to lie there and drinks to be bought to you on a frequent basis.

The restaurants were all good and the food was excellent, they always had what we asked for and the service was quick, friendly and efficient (apart from one evening in the Tapas bar where we had to wait an hour for a drink due to a shortage of staff.) It was brilliant to be able to visit the restaurants in the other hotels, this gave us chance to try lots of different cuisines. You do have to book in advance but that is hardly a hardship.

We have been to Egypt 14 times (12 times to Taba and twice to Makadi Bay and we have always said that it is the staff that make a hotel and it is definitely true at the Makadi Spa. All the staff were brilliant, friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Mr Hansen the Manager was frequently seen around the hotel and was aproachable and friendly. Any requests we made were dealt with immediately and efficiently.

There is some building work going on but it does not interfere with your stay at all, you hear an occasional saw or hammer but it really is nothing.

To sum up this was a fantastic hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed every second of our holiday, we cant wait to go back again next year!

2  Thank jackiejStaffs
Reviewed 20 October 2012

we (party of 4 adults) booked through Blue bay travel who then booked with red sea.We got home yestarday after a weeks stay. We had a good flight with Monarch -i'd been dreading it but actually i think they are better than Thomson. Even get a free meal !!
On arrival at the airport have £23 ready - it is manic but just take your time fill out your visas and you ll be fine. The airport men are very arrogant!
You'll be directed by so many red sea reps all holding clipboards to your coach.£0 mins later and you ll be chilling with a drink and a cold flannel ! One of the porters will take your bags whilst another gives you a tour of the hotel. We hada room on the 3rd floor -the balcony was double width and had 2 sunloungers 2 chill out chairs with footstools and table with 2 chairs. lovely! Room is spotless and so lovely and fresh -absolutely no complaints. If you want to take a bath then allow a long time to fill it!! They bring you clean pool towels to your room each night and snacks. Restaurants are all good in hotel -steak house fish house and asian -the spanish tapas isn t so good. We were nt too impressed with the ones in the mall as children around and just not 5 * so as long as you don t mind kids and sitting in somewhere not so upmarket its fine! Beware if you go in sports bar take some cash (men went to watch footy one night) We didn t have a problem with any of our meals. sadly after 2 days one by one we had the iffy tummy - it didn t ruin the holiday but we all were cautious about where the loos where!! Waiters are lovely and will bring you hot lemon to ease your tummy and mint and aniseed tea which i got addicted to!
Go to chemist in mall he ll sort you out if you do get ill !
The pools are lovely especially the infinity one. Look out for Oscar the camel and his drinking water trick!
The snorkelling is fab -take beach shoes snorkel goggles and an underwater camera !
I have no problem in recommending this hotel - waiters were so attentive and helpful.
There were loads of theories as to why we got ill mine was the Baraka water as i only got ill once i started drinking that and not the nestle water -but it is only my theory other people had theirs too - i honestly don t think we ll ever know -although the bacteria in their water is def different and will make you sick so possibly when showering and getting water in our mouths ????? WHO KNOWS!!! oh remember to brush teeth with bottled water. Please do go and enjoy the luxury this hotel offers but do be ware a high proption of people get the iffy tummy (and immodium doesn t work!) wish i was by the pool now! ps remember its not finished and there is still building work going on and yes you can hear it ut not 24/7

Room Tip: ask for 3rd floor you get double width balcony
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank WiltshireDebbie
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Just got back from a week at the Makadi Spa. A great place for a chill out week, and perfect weather.

The Good:

- GIGANTIC rooms! Seriously big (6339) - Our balcony was also huge and overlooked the pool/sea. Shower was good. The bed was the biggest we'd slept in. Has the wow factor.
- Spotlessly clean, especially the rooms
- Fantastic pool area (although the beds are quite close together)
- The whole hotel and pool is lit beautifully at night, very nice
- Lots of choices of food and restaurants - Everything is from a set menu so no buffets here
- Great service from all staff
- Decent gym
- Excellent snorkelling

The Bad:

- There is lots of building works still going on and the noise will disturb you if you sit around the pool area. It didn't bother us too much at first, but by the 3rd or 4th day it started to grate a little. You can however go on the beach, and there are 2 other hotels you have access to

- Illness! Both me and my girlfriend had quite bad stomach problems right at the end of the holiday, and upon speaking to other guests this was quite common

TIPS

- Remember to have $15 for the visa when you arrive at the airport - We didn't know about this and the Red Sea representative was quite rude when we arrived and we were marched to a cash point around the corner, wasn't a great start (all other Red Sea staff were great though)

6  Thank Magarta
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Firstly, I've read the recent "bad" reviews this hotel has received and all I can say is, what a load of rubbish.
We've just come back from a 2 week stay at the Makadi Spa and it was incredible.
Upon arrival, we were taken aback at just how beautiful the hotel is, we have stayed in many so called 5 star hotels in Egypt and none of them have even come close to the Spa. The staff are amazing, they are all so friendly and helpful, they go out of their way to help you,and they do NOT expect tips at all. We did tip however when the staff went above and beyond their calls of duty, and they did frequently.
The rooms are very spacious, and cleaned every day, with attention to detail, they made pretty shapes on the bed with your throw which was nice. they left flowers in the room, they changed your sun lounger towels every night for clean ones for use next day, they also include a beach bag for you to carry them down, also plate of tasty treats delivered to your room every night. One night it was sushi, next night it was fruit dipped in chocolate, every night was different. We loved these special little touches, as I say very much attention to detail.
The staff are also very honest - one evening we came back from the poolside, discovered our safety deposit box open - 1st thought panic we'd been burgled, as room hadn't been made up, upon going into living area of room, we discovered a letter from reception, stating that housekeeping had come into clean our room and discovered our safety deposit box open, they went straight back out and locked the door and informed reception - they added that if we wanted our room cleaning later that night we need only contact them - upon double checking everything we had in the safe, we found there to be NOTHING taken or touched. We were very, very, impressed by this level of honesty as we had quite a fair bit of cash, passports, jewellery, ipad, iphones etc in there and not 1 thing taken. We figured it out as to how the safe had been open - you need to hold the door closed as you input your digital code, if you don't it will pop slightly back.
The view from our massive balcony was beautiful, it overlooked the gorgeous Infinity pool (only hotel that has one) and the ocean too. Quite a few guests from other hotels must have thought so too as they kept trying to come into the pool but the staff were very polite and asked them to leave as they are not allowed into the Spa if not staying there, and quite rightly so.
The restaurants are very good with a wide variety of food, we ate in all them, the Asian is very very good, and it's classy too, you shouldn't just walk in there rolled up in a pair of shorts and flip flops. The view restaurant is beautiful - an open air one that overlooks the ocean, beautiful setting, the waiters were lovely especially Ibrahim, who we regularly chatted with, I had a tummy upset due to too much sun 1 day and he was very attentive and brought me some peppermint tea to help, he asked every day how I was, and even gave me a birthday card which I thought was so sweet and so lovely. He always had a smile and a chat with you. More about the birthday bit later.
The poolside waiters were amazing too, especially Naghu, no need to wave your hand or go to the bar, he was there on hand asking you if you were ok and if you wanted any drinks, the service was fantastic and there was nothing to fault at all. We became good friends and we always had a chat and a high five with him every day. They even have a sunglass polisher who comes round and polishes your sunglasses, he doesn't expect tipping either. It's all the little touches.
Mohammed made delicious cocktails and would make them for you without even being asked to when he knew you liked them.
Achmed, was non stop making sure the many pools were always looking their best and forever cleaning them despite them being clean already, so as I say all the staff worked hard.
This is an adults hotel only and I'm so glad it is, it's a peaceful relaxing hotel which is exactly what we wanted, we have kids but it was so nice just to go away on our own for a relaxing chill out pamper holiday - they even have double bed loungers on the top deck, all the loungers are so comfy too, made of wicker with big thick mattresses, never had a back pain after lying on them all day which you sometimes tend to on some but not these.
The garden bar is beautiful, in the evening its a good place to have pre dinner drinks or somewhere nice to just sit and have a drink and relax.
The semi circle bar by the pool is great for getting in from the sun when it gets too hot, it's beautiful with comfy white wicker furniture that have dreamy open white drapes, they also do great cakes from 3-5 in the afternoon but you have to be quick to get them
We had a walk around the unfinished spa, it's going to look amazing when its completed, the work that is going on there at the moment does not affect you at all, you can't see it taking place at all, and we couldn't hear it at all.
Mr Hansen the General Manager holds a welcome evening every monday night for new guests, with cocktails and canopes, and a chance for him to tell you of all the ongoing changes in the hotel as more restaurants shall be going in, it's also a chance for you to approach him with any concerns you may have, he's very much a hands on manager and does welcome any ideas you have with it being a new hotel. We found a few changes taking place in the 2 weeks we were there after guests had mentioned what would work better. So you see, they do listen and act.
We banged into him in the lift one day and he asked us if we were enjoying our stay and what we thought of the hotel, which I thought was very nice. How often do you see the general manager mixing with the guests and asking them if they are enjoying their break?
Now for my birthday, on my last day, the waiters and poolside boys started work extra early that day to decorate my sun lounger with scatered flower petals, our parasol was decorated with decorations and balloons and birthday banners, and not only 1 but 2 lots of beautiful flowers laid on our little table awaiting me coming from breakfast. When I arrived, they all came round and sang Happy Birthday firstly in British, then in Egyptian, they lit sparklers and dances round me, it was so very special, I couldn't believe they actually came in work early to do this for me, how very wonderful, then when we went to the View for lunch, Abrhim (catering manager not the waiter)had reserved a table for us and our friends with flowers decorating the table, after having our yummy dinner, out came a huge chocolate birthday cake with a Happy Birthday white chocolate heart on top. More singing :) I nearly welled up, it was so special, the staff really did play a huge part on what was a fantastic holiday at a beautiful hotel. We shall definatly be returning again next year, and look forward to seeing all the staff and the completed spa. We missed the opening of the new restaurant The Cove which was opening the following day.
So there is my review, what a fantastic hotel with fabulous staff that go the extra mile to please you and all with a smile! If this hotel doesn't blow you away with how good it is I really don't know what will. I think its an absolute bargain too what you pay for it and what you receive when you get there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the Beautiful Infinity pool & the Red Sea - you wont...
1  Thank PrincessK684
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I wanted to write a review about the Spa simply to say for those who are thinking of visiting DO NOT listen to a word of any of the negative comments that have been made because they are completely rubbish.

Everything about the hotel, even with it not being fully complete yet is already worthy of 5 stars+. The way you are looked after by all is more than can be expected, nothing is too much for any member of staff & is always done with a smile and manners, please & thank you go a long way. Unlike like some of the guests ie not putting a tshirt or dress on when going to eat at lunch, show a bit of decency at least.

When you walk into to the lobby there is a really sweet smell that smells devine & draws you in straight away, there is such an elegant & exotic feel. As you walk around the grounds you will find the huge swimming pools and never felt over crowded, the infinity pool makes any worries disappear (not that you would have any while your here). It is so peaceful and relaxing. Everything has been finished to a very high standard and the manager Gerard is always walking around getting to know his guests to make sure everything is meeting their needs. Very pleasant and goes out of his way to make time to speak to everyone.

I felt like I was looking round a show house when was shown into to the bedrooms, all the details where perfect, plenty of room for your belongings. Toilet is separate, as is the wash room with his and her sinks followed by the wet room with a massive bath and a power shower, a patterned glass window looking straight through to the bedroom. The bed linen was pure quality. This lead to the living area with a very comfy corner sofa and flat screen tv, fridge that was stocked up everyday without charge not to mention the treats and towels that were changed on a daily basis.

The food throughout all of the hotels were gorgeous, the selection and choice was brilliant. I would say to those who moaned about food to try eating out at home for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the same quality and cost you paid for all inclusive, because you wouldn't get very far, there's so much choice so you won't get fed up, including the bars.

If you choose this hotel you will have made the right choice by far!! The staff don't ask for tips, they deserve to be praised and paid so much more for what they do considering the standard they do the job too. I will definitely return again and again as I have already to each of the other hotels and can say exactly the same about each of them. Go and find out what you have been missing and you will wonder why you ever had doubts about visiting because you needn't have. It is purely blissful. Thank you to all who make it this amazing. Can't wait to be back asap.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Visited from 5th to 12th October.

Flew out with Monarch, which was fine but quite a small plane, and no in flight entertainment. The Red Sea Holidays staff that got us from Hurghada airport to the hotel were very on the ball which was nice given it was already dark and we just wanted to get to the hotel.

Check in at the hotel was slow, but fine. Everyone just collapses into the reception, then a few members of staff go around giving out room keys and instructions the late supper available at the tapas restaurant. We took this opportunity to remind the manager that we were here on our honeymoon, and to query if our room request had been fulfilled (top floor, sea view). They confirmed they knew we were there on honeymoon, but to be frank that was the first and last time it was mentioned.

We didn't get the room we requested (no big deal since the room we got was still very nice), and we had absolutely no "honeymoon" type treatment/recognition. We heard from other honeymooners who shared our experience, so it wasn't just us. Now this didn't really spoil our holiday, but I feel it's worth mentioning because if you ARE someone who is hoping for that "special treatment" honeymoon experience, you're not going to get it here.

At this time of year, the sun rises and sets early (bright by 6am, dark by 6pm) so obviously everyone starts the day as early as possible. We never made it out of the room before 8am on a morning, but still never had any trouble at all finding a nice pair of sun loungers. Yes people did reserve the "premium" ones right next to the pool, etc. but there were still lots to choose from. Not sure this will be the case once the hotel is fully operational, but only time will tell.

That leads me onto the next point: construction. Prior to booking we were told that the only ongoing construction was the still unopened spa. This wasn't true. There are lots of rooms and restaurants which are also still being built. It was nothing that spoiled the visual ambiance of the hotel, but it did result in a LOT of construction noise. Whilst sat around the pool there was loud banging, drilling, sawing, angle grinding, etc. for multiple hours every day. Not a problem if you put an mp3 player on, but I kind of felt sorry for the people laying reading kindles/books with nothing to drown it out.

From what I saw I'd say there is a few months of this type of construction work left before they just move on to the quieter finishing work, so do bear that in mind, and take plenty of music to drown it out. :)

Other than the construction noise, the pool area was great. Very nicely laid out, very pleasing design, and the infinity pool is a great addition. It's also just a 30 second walk from the pool area to the beach which I'll mention more later.

All the staff we had contact with were great. Everyone was very pleasant, not hawking for tips all the time, and even though some mistakes were made, you could tell they were all trying hard to please the guests. The poolside drinks service is nice, and makes a pleasant change from queing at the bar yourself.

Similarly the restaurant staff were very attentive, always clearing plates and refilling drinks etc. Unfortunately the quality of the food didn't live up to the quality of the staff. We tried a variety of restaurants, as well as the Dome/Melange buffet at the neighbouring hotel (the spa doesn't have a buffet of its own), and the food ranged from very nice to pretty bad. Having been to Egypt before, we both agreed we would class the food at the Makadi Spa as "Good, for Egypt".

We also both had stomach problems, which I'm not going to blame on the hygein of the hotel at all. It's just one of those things. In fact even the rep at the welcome meeting made a point of telling us that Egypt has strong bacteria that we aren't used to, and so you might get sick. Sure enough we did, but hey, that's life. Thankfully there is a pharmacy located in the Makadi Mall (a collection of shops and restaurants just 2 minutes walk from reception - still in the hotel grounds) that is well stocked with Antinal etc. and with very reasonable prices (11 british pounds for two days worth of tablets).

So on to the snorkeling. As I mentioned earlier, from the pool area you walk down a flight of stairs and out through a gate onto the promenade. Directly in front of you is the closest access to the reef, with guide ropes marking off a channel you walk/swim down to get to the reef. This is, quite frankly, pretty rubbish. It's mostly grey dead coral and rock, and very cloudy water because it's so shallow. Since snorkeling was a big part of why we chose to come to Makadi Bay, I was so disappointed when I first saw the reef. Thankfully things improve from here. :)

After coming out of the Makadi Spa gate onto the promenade, instead of going straight into the sea here, if you walk left you will come across other entry points inamongst the beach parasols. Skip the first one, and go in at the second one (approx 3 minutes walk from the Makadi Spa gate). After swimming out through the channel (maybe 120 feet), the reef here is SO much better it's like night and day compared to the first one. All the colourful coral and fish you'd hope to see, and probably 1000 feet of coral face to swim along. You CAN go even further, but to do so would be leaving the resort which I chose not to do.

Also right at the edge of the resort you will see the as yet unfinished jetty that's being built to provide direct access to the reef face. It was close to completion when we were there, and I'm hoping once it's done they rope off all other access to the sea to stop the neverending supply of idiots who just walk all over the coral in the shallows.

Now, if you come out of the Makadi Spa gate, and walk RIGHT for about 3 minutes, there is another entry point to the reef which is even more impressive that the last one! I can't even say how big this reef face is because I never saw it all while we were there. You can also walk even further down the promenade to the right to find other access points, but to be honest it's just not neccessary.

Basically I would say if you're a novice snorkeler, start in the reef directly outside the hotel because as comparatively poor quality as it is, it's nice and shallow and undaunting if you're just learning. But as soon as you're comfortable snorkeling, go in at either of the other two spots I've described and you'll be AMAZED at how much better it is. Here's a fraction of what I saw (I'm still going through my photos!):

Bannerfish, Bellus Angel, Blackspotted Sweetlips, Blue Spotted Stingray, Bristly Puffer, Broomtail Wrasse, Checkerboard Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Cornetfish, Freckled Hawkfish, Greasy Grouper, Humbug Damsel, Klunzinger Wrasse (my favorite!), Leopard Blenny, Lionfish, Loggerhead Turtle, Lyretail Anthias, Masked Butterfly, Masked Puffer, Melon Butterfly, Naso Tang, Parrotfish, Picasso Trigger, Pipefish, Porcupinefish, Pyjama Wrasse, Raccoon Butterfly, Red Bigeye, Redback Butterfly, Royal Angel, Sailfin Tang, Sergeant Major, Sohal Tang, Striped Catfish, Threadfin Butterfly, Twobar Clownfish, Unicorn Tang.

That's what I've identified so far,, and I still have about 400 more photos to go.

So in summation; is the hotel nice? Yes. Are the staff nice? Yes. Is the food nice? Kind of. Is the snorkeling nice? Yes. Would we go again? Yes.

ps. The minibar in the room is free. It contains water, pepsi, 7up, orangeade, and local beer and is restocked every day.

3  Thank TeamWeasel
The Makadi Palace Hotel
The Makadi Palace Hotel
#13 of 30 in Makadi Bay
SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Premier Le Reve Hotel & Spa (Adults Only)
Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa

Been to The Makadi Spa Hotel (Adults Only)? Share your experiences!