“A Gem in the Making”

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Sheffield
“A Gem in the Making”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Many have written about the joys of this hotel. The place is still under construction not only in terms of building.

Don't get me wrong, we spent a very pleasant week at this resort but it was obvious that certain parts of the hotel service are still a gem in need of polishing. The personel were without exception friendly and anxious to to the job properly but things still go wrong from time to time. We were at lunch at the View, one of the day time restaurants, when the service dissolved into farce. Our food from the delightful menu arrived OK. The kitchen however started pumping out orders multiple times for some tables whilst missing others all together. The restaurant manager turned into an Egyptian version of Basil Faulty. The result was entertaining but I could not help feeling sorry for the harried waiting staff.

There were strange anomalies such as the pool bar running out of tonic for two days whilst it was still available in other parts of the Hotel. I think the quality of the drinks could also be improved.

I have to say though that despite these hiccups the overall atmosphere and ambience of the place is excellent. It seems that the place is in an extended trial run. I believe that the price we paid reflects this. The property will achieve a very high standard as the training of the staff rises to the level of its willingness. Some of the restaurants would survive on their own account in the UK, that is not something that can normally said of AI food.

In short take advantage whilst the prices ar affordable, when this place really hits it's standards the prices will reflect the quality.

One other suggestion for management. The snorkelling offshore is world class but the access to the water is very difficult. The coral reef is difficult to negotiate, reef shoes are essential. If there was a jetty to allow access it would be a truly superb experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steeloman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel 5 - 12 October to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We wanted somewhere nice, an adult only hotel and lots of sunshine so when a friend of ours had booked their week away a month before, we decided to try it ourselves (well she had done all the ground work and the reviews for the hotel were top notch at the time!!)

Whilst our friends were out there the bad reviews started to appear which didn't bother us as when they returned we got the full story and were able to go there knowing what we were in for.

Flying Monarch was OK - thankfully we purchased the extra leg room seats (though on our outbound flight a couple decided to take the seats by us which were vacant without paying the premium which was a bit annoying when we had shelled out £180 for the return flight). Anyway, the food was not too bad but for a five hour flight without entertainment is shocking - luckily we had downloaded stuff onto a laptop so the time went reasonably quick.

The transfer to the hotel was roughly half an hour. Upon arrival to the hotel it was nice to be welcomed with a drink and cold flannel and registration was pretty straightforward and quick. We were taken to our room (coincidentally the same room as our friends had!) and luggage arrived shortly afterwards. We were told to go to the Tapas bar for something to eat which we did. All we wanted was something quick and easy after a long day and it was but was nothing special though did fill a hole. It is a shame that it isn't up there with the other restaurants within the hotel which we found out during our stay as it does have potential.

My husband and I were soon into holiday mode and waking up to the sun was bliss. We checked out the View Restaurant for breakfast and having been warned by our friends about the service went there bracing ourselves for shoddy service. It was a bit slap dash on the first day as also went there for lunch but as the week progressed we could clearly see a marked improvement on the service delivery. The staff were friendly and willing to serve and smart. Nice views of the sea.

We rather preferred laying by the other side of the main pool (where the building noise was more noticeable but living next door to a RAF base the noise didn't faze us nor the odd aircraft that flew over) - and plus it was wasn't as busy either which was a bonus. The pool boys were great and seemed to know when to come round and ask it you wanted a drink or not.

Nice touch having fresh beach towels delivered to you each evening (around 6ish) along with a plate of canapes.

We spent our anniversary in the Asian Restaurant (recommended by our friends) and it didn't disappoint. The food was delicious. The next day when we had returned from another chilled out day by the pool our cleaner had done the most amazing towel presentation on the bed and had placed some of our cards within the display and also there was a small arrangement of flowers on the dressing table.

The rooms are large and kept very clean on a daily basis. The bed is to die for - large and comfortable - slept very well. TV channels are good - only downside is if you wanted to watch some telly in bed you couldn't as the view was obscured by the partition. The mini bar is well stocked and we asked for Diet pepsi instead of normal and this was done. Unless you like beer there isn't anything for the ladies. I had purchased some sparkling wine on the flight so I would have that instead before going down for dinner.

We mainly ate at The View for breakfast and lunch and in the evening we would frequent the Garden Bar (recommended by our friends) before dinner - at the beginning of our stay the background music was something between whale music and birds twittering on a constant loop but on our penultimate night it was so much better - clearly someone mentioned it to Mohammad the very smiley and friendly barman who did something about it. Dinner was at the Asian twice, the seafood twice, steak once which are all very good. We could have ventured to the other restaurants within the complex but to be honest we were quite content with eating at the hotel. Afternoon tea and cake was nice - by the time the sun had disappeared from where we had been by the pool we would (or should I say I did!) indulge in a slice of cake accompanied by a cup of tea.

Having looked around the hotel next door we were so pleased we had gone with The Makadi Spa, for one thing it has started to look its age and far too many children for my liking, hence choosing a hotel which was Adults only (having experienced part of our honeymoon in the Seychelles we were surrounded by families which totally put us off- who takes their children to a romantic destination? - anyway, that's another story).

There are some shops nearby which you can get your postcards, souvenirs and snacks which was handy.

You don't need to take lots of books, magazines etc as there is a 'swap shop' desk/table whereby guests would leave such items, or leftover suntan lotion and even a lilo or two....we were amazed how quickly stuff went - quite entertaining!

Having stayed in top hotels around the world the hotel is is not quite a five star yet - for one thing, laminated signs and menus gives it a cheap look which I mentioned in my comments on the review questionnaire you get before you check out. But as other reviewers have said, don't be put off by some of the negative reviews. I am glad that the hotel's ranking is slowly creeping back up - when we booked the holiday the hotel was rated number 2 then it dropped to 12 so hoping that it goes back as being one of the best hotels in the region which I am sure it will be under the management of the new General Manager as clearly vast improvements have/are being made.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again - our week wasn't enough. Shame Red Sea Holidays don't do 10 days as by day 4/5 you become relax and know the lay of the land and get into your routine and then it's time to go. This was the first holiday that I never made it to the gym despite taking my kit (perhaps if the gym had been within the hotel I might have been inclined to do so).

Wherever we holiday abroad we always tip and I think that's the right thing to do whether it is an all inclusive package or not - the staff work so hard whether they are bottle washers, cleaners, waiters and so on and I bet for very little pay. Nothing special just a couple of US dollars here and there. It is very well appreciated.

So I hope when you read this you do go ahead and book your holiday at The Makadi Spa and rest assured you will have a relaxing and chilled out stay.....

Room Tip: Ask for a even numbered room as they look out onto the pool/sea.
8 Thank MrsT071011
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

returned yesterday from the makadi spa.2/10/2012.What can we say?we had the most memorable time at this hotel. total relaxation.perfect luxury.lives well up to reputation of a five star.will be even more impresive when hotel is complete. we must mention the staff at this hotel cannot do enough for you to make you feel very special.must say a very big thank you to Mahmoob.terrace drinks waiter.he is a credit to staff in this hotel, and we found a very good friend.thank you mahmoob.restaurants serve excellent food.japanese to die for.ate at all restaurants and found them all first class.rooms are very spacious.very clean and modern.with good air conditioning,but quite noisy when trying to sleep.towels changed everyday, and your bedlinin turned down for you in the evening before going to eat.only negative comment i feel i should make is regarding people reserving sun beds,why?the grounds are plentyfull for everyone,but this goes on everywhere i suppose.please dont accept negative comments regarding this hotel.give it a try,you wont be dissapointed.we was astounded, relaxed,and very very sad to leave.one more.please visit the steak house where mohamed will pull out all the stops for you. thanks mohamed.well done management team,we WILL be back soon. Russ and Michelle Dalton.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same layout.total luxury.
5 Thank Russell D
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at the Makadi spa at the beginning of October with my boyfriend and a couple of our friends. We had the best time. Not only was the hotel stunning but the staff were so friendly and went out of their way to help us with anything we needed. The rooms were massive - bigger than our flat in London - pure luxury. The asian restaurant was definitely the best food. The other restaurants were a little off high standards but I would give ten out of ten for presentation and efforts.

During the day the snorkelling is a must but chilling by the pool is super too - chairs are really comfy and the waiters swing by just often enough to order a cool drink. We absolutely loved the bed chairs up in the top terrace - we got up early and had a couple for the day (the usual laying down towels early to mark territory goes on).

Thank you so much to Mustafa and Ashley who were so smiley and good to us at our time at the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Paula M
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Just got back from the Makadi Spa, now thinking of returning in March. This was our first trip to Egypt and also booking an all inclusive holiday. If you want to go away and be in complete peace and quiet, this is the place to relax and unwind!
Im going to get my only negative comment out the way, the food! In comparison to the hotel standard the food was not a good. It didn't ruin our holiday as everything was edible. Don't get me wrong it wasn't terrible but really needs to be improved. We really enjoyed breakfast at the Cove as there was so much to choose from. The view at lunchtime was also good, especially if you don't want to move that far from relaxing by the pool. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from if you want to go to the other hotel, some you may need to pay a slight extra charge. We went to the Thai restaurant (no extra charge) and enjoyed it. We paid abit extra at the seafood restaurant and had a great meal, however when we returned not such a great meal, think its abit hit and miss really.
Theres so many positives to list and I would just be repeating some of the earlier reviews, what makes this place special is the staff who are so friendly and helpful, I don't think I have been anywhere were theres a sun glasses polisher!!!!!! All the pool guys, thank you for never allowing us to go thirsty, especially Mohammed.
If you are thinking about going, just book it, the price will not stay this low once the building work is complete!

7 Thank Margo01
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at this lovely hotel at the beginning of October and what time we had. The weather and diving sites go without saying - stunning! However, the Makadi Spa hotel was the real prize - don't let the negative comments put you off!! The staff in the hotel could not have made our stay more comfortable! Big shout out to the lobby bar crew - who made Louise's birthday such a memorable night! Food was great with a lot of choice. Favourite= Chinese, least favourite= tapas. To sum up, it's a no brainer if you want adult only luxury. Tip of the day? Tip! A message to the hotel owner... Mustafa, Mohammed, Mahmoud & Ashley are a credit to your hotel and key to an enduring brand!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank The_Birdy_team
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have recently returned from a 7 night stay at the Makadi Spa, from the 19th to the 26th October 2012 as a single traveller. The Reception area was elegant and cool with water features and nice décor, a great entrance to the hotel. My room, 6355, a Junior Suite, was great with a pool and sea view and large balcony. The suite was large with a king size bed, lounge area with L shape sofa and plasma TV and a massive bathroom. The pool area was spacious with lots empty sun beds so no need to be up at 6.00am, the infinity pool was lovely if not a little cold when you first got in, the main pool appeared slightly warmer but the infinity pool had great views to the Red Sea. Beach towels are provided in your room upon arrival. Breakfast was very good; a great range in a lovely setting at the Cove Restaurant, best time to go is 7.30am, early I know but a lovely part of the day not to be missed. The hotel had plenty of Restaurants which you booked in Reception from 3.00pm, I always got the Restaurant I requested, the Steak and Seafood Restaurants are nice as you can sit outside but you have to eat at 7.30pm, the Asian Restaurant was good too, there are also restaurants in the Makadi Mall, worth a try. At lunch time The View, Tapas Restaurant and the Pool Bar are good places to eat depending what you want but you can use the restaurants at the Palace or Grand next door. The guys in the main bar are great and made me feel really welcome; the pool bar was good too with service to your sunbed. Overall a lovely hotel, well worth 5 star rating, will recommend to anyone so much so my sister fly’s out on Friday 2nd November, wish I was going back.

Room Tip: Only half the rooms face the pool as the hotel is a V shape with the pool in the centre, request a p...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo