“Another wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makadi Bay
The Makadi Spa Hotel (Adults Only)
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed at the Spa for the second time last week, we stayed for two weeks and had an absolutely fantastic time. As lots of other reviewers have said this is a fantastic hotel, it is hard to say how good it really is.....the best way to find out is to visit and see for yourself!!! As it was our second stay and as we were also planning on getting engaged while we were away we e mailed the hotel before we went and requested a pool view room, they allocated us a beautiful room (6204) which was big and clean with a lovely view of the sea and the pool.

The hotel is not finished but this doesn't really make a huge difference, it is good to have the dine around option but in all honesty since the world buffet restaurant opened along with the other existing restaurants there is no need to even leave the hotel, they cater for everyone even a very fussy vegi like my fiancé. A couple of special mentions for Ahmed Said a chef in the world, after a couple of days he knew what I was going to ask for and how I wanted it, the mark of a professional. As well as the world we tried the steak restaurant which was good but our favourite was the Asian, not only was the food excellent.., the deep fried ice cream was to die for but Abdullah and Esmad who ran front of house were absolutely fantastic, they were friendly but totally efficient and professional, they are an absolute credit to the hotel. At lunchtime we tended to go to the dome in the Makadi Palace (another special mention for the waiter Ibraheim, another total star) on the day we were coming home we discovered Shimmers for lunch, I only wished we had found it sooner it was absolutely brilliant.

The hotel is trying its best to make it a true 5 star hotel, in the evening gents are not aloud to dine in shorts or open toed sandals in any of the restaurants. They have also brought out a policy of not being able to save sunbeds, on several occasions during our two weeks one of the managers would come around before 7am and if people had put down towels but left them he would move them away leaving the beds vacant again, this is an excellent idea in principal but unfortunately in practice it did cause several arguments as once he had moved the towels he then disappeared leaving the new and old occupants of the beds to argue amongst themselves as to whose bed it was.

To sum up this is a lovely hotel whose staff make it absolutely fantastic, everybody was friendly, and efficient and nothing was too much trouble. The only little niggle that I have is the fact that the lobby bar and now the mini bar in your room are both now chargeable. Mr Hansen the manager told us during the 'meet the staff meeting' that the lobby bar was changed because it was 'over subscribed', in our experience both weeks we were there (and on the first week it was 100% occupancy ) the only people using the lobby bar were people using the wi fi, nobody was actually buying a drink! The free mini bar was an added bonus, I know in most hotels the mini bar is payable but we are paying quite a lot of money for a hotel that isn't yet finished (and probably wont be so for another year) so in my opinion they should re instate the free lobby and mini bar at least until the hotel is finished. It is a brilliant hotel but it does still need to compete with others of a similar nature.

Would I go back.....absolutely like a shot, we are now looking to go back in October I just hope they don't out price themselves.

3  Thank jackiejStaffs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Just got back after 3rd visit.hammered with Germans and Italians,lost our magic last 2 trips here.rooms air con did not work whatsoever ,they did try and fix but no joy and left piece of board jamming switch so was blowing cold 24/7' food was not the same and my tummy got the dreaded Egyptian tummy.and I don't eat s,,t.sun loungers torn in areas,and towels on sun beds at5.30 am.spa still not open and rumours have stated they have run out of money,hence spa incomplete...building work carries on through the day till about 5.45 in the after noon.550 people expected next week need I say more.nothings sacred.and last to add price keeps going up but not for the Germans ?????tv in room in bad place if your lucky you may get a better twin room...mosquito s are rife and bitten badly and use every zeet product going.all inclusive has changed for the worse you have to venture whereyou eat lunch for drinks at night.bar the lobby bar which has 8 seats max.and500 guests.??????..what a shame.very dissatisfied .

Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We returned from Makadi spa 21st May having spent a week there. We would like to give a fair but balanced review from start to finish....

Firstly, we asked the flight attendant on our Thompson flight if we would require a visa to enter the country as we heard mixed reviews about it being a con and so forth but she said only if we planned to leave the resort which we were not planning on doing and therefore believed we would not require one. This was not the case on arrival there were 2 queues, one for first choice and the other for Red Sea Holidays, all booths (before passport control) were asking for £13 each sterling for the Visa. I had told them we have been informed this was not necessary however it came to light Hurgada airport operates differently. As we had no sterling we offered more than the £13 in Euros but they would not accept this and took us through passport control to a cash machine to get money out!! This was a bit unnerving and not a great start as we had to wait at the back of the queue until everyone else from the flight was dealt with.

On arrival at the resort the hotel seemed lovely, the drive up to the lobby is grand and the best out of the 4 hotels on the complex. We had a relaxing welcome drink. The room was large on the 1st/2nd floor (the floor levels in the lift did not correspond the floors) balcony huge, room a bit smelly but not too bad and the finishing's in the bathroom were not to a high standard but completely fine. It seems they have not thought about the smaller details for example the grouting in the bathroom was not finished properly and a bit shoddy.

The beach is lovely and we spent most of our time there. There are people coming around offering massages etc but they were polite and if you say no they move on. Drinks are also brought to you. In terms of tipping, the hotel manager said they prefer coins and regularly changed notes for us into Euro/sterling, so were tipped waiters, beach mattress guys, bell boys a Euro or two each time.

Snorkelling was ok but not great, we heard Sharm was better, if you have been to other good snorkelling destinations then you may be disappointed and as such we only went in the sea twice.

There is a camel on the beach called Oska, who is friendly and every day we would give him a bottle or two of our water, he only drinks warm water!!! so we gave him our older ones before we went to get fresh water at lunch. Beware if you sit on him the guy may take you on a walk then charge you for it, so if you sit on him make sure he doesn't get up!

The pool area is nice too and the pools are a little cold but not as bad as we were expecting after reading the reviews. Be careful leaving the pool area as the tiles around the pool are very slippery and I nearly fell over and as a result hurt my toe quite badly, entertaining for the other guests though I am sure.

You can have coffee/tea and cake in the lobby bar in the afternoons as part of the all inclusive which was nice.

The main downside of the hotel is the lack of entertainment. We did venture to the other hotels and went to the Joker bar for drinks but it gets very busy and we were only able to get a seat if we dined early and got to the Joker bar before 8:30pm. The belly dancing they did put on at the Spa started at 9pm when most diners don't leave their restaurants until that time anyway, so the poor girl only had about 5 tables of people to entertain, completely the wrong time to start entertainment and after 10mins she left (she was meant to be on for an hour), we asked the waiter what happened and we could not work out whether she was sent home by the hotel as not many guests watching or whether she left of her own accord. Either way very disappointing. As guests of the spa it would be nice to have our own entertainment without going to the other hotels and the entertainment they do have needs to start later to give people time to finish dinner and relax.

In summary the resort was lovely not much to do unless you go outside the resort on an excursion but the holiday was what we were looking for.

5  Thank Allen C
Reviewed 19 May 2013

If first impressions count, it wasn't a good one that greeted us as we drove towards the reception lobby. The large rectangular water features were empty and looked to be undergoing long term repair work with grout/cement that didn't match the existing one and pieces of coping stone that had broken off scattered around. The pan-tiled roof was covered in a fine white dust (as was the mahogany coloured wooded dome) and a discarded scaffold board sat forlornly near the scaffold surrounding one of the towers. I couldn't believe it was our hotel! The lobby isn't the usual grand place but a dark and rather underwhelming area with water features for the mosquitos to swim in - I got bitten within 5 minutes (it was only late afternoon and light) of arriving so try and get some repellent on before you get there. I got bitten again in there waiting to depart.

The room was ok but had an all pervading stench of mould from the air-conditioning trunking. It did disappear when the a/c was on but it was there to greet you again the next time you entered the room. When I mentioned it to the room boy he promptly sprayed the bathroom and toilet with an evil chemical substance that had us both choking within seconds! There was only one set of stairs that I found (worrying in case of a fire) in the middle of the block - I though they were unkempt and tatty. I can't believe this hotel only opened last year - some of it looks about 10 years old. The third floor is actually still under construction (internal) which is the source of the dust.

We dined in the 'World' buffet restaurant the first night - our instant impression was one of waste management - "if we don't put it out, we won't have to throw it away". Here was none of the heavily laden salad/dessert bars that have been a feature of previous Egyptian hotels. Having said that the food was ok and, on our only subsequent visit, very good. On the strength of recommendations from this site we decided to take breakfast at the Cove on the first morning but it looked like someone had robbed all the food and we didn't return. Of the other restaurants we usually lunched at Shimmers. This is where it gets inconsistent. One dish had cous-cous in the description but it was served with rice - on questioning the waiter, he said -" Yes! - cous-cous" and walked off. On being presented with the menu in most of the other restaurants you were usually told what wasn't available - on one night in the Asian this amounted to 4 items. They even ran out of eggs at breakfast one morning. In general, the food was nicely presented and I did have two meals that I really enjoyed. Marisco's fish restaurant was the most consistent but the paella at the Spanish restaurant was just rice, squid, a mussel and a couple of prawns - very disappointing. If you had a nice a nice meal at a particular restaurant one day, don't bank on an exact repeat on another day.

You are strongly discouraged to wait to be served at the bars (unless you are on a bar stool) so drinks service can be slow and therefore you don't get to drink too much. Measures are also on the small side. A full glass of beer only came with the small vase type glasses - the pool side plastic tankards were invariably 2/3 full or half beer, half froth - it all smacked of keeping costs down. The lobby bar is impressive (half inside half outside), especially so at night but that's where the entertainment is and you have to pay for anything alcoholic, beverages and, on one side (inside) even soft drinks are chargeable.
It appeared to us that tipping improved the service of some of the more important (to you) staff so don't wait to long to do it and you will get a grimace at anything less than £2 (English) from some (though not all) of the staff. You'll see it coming when the fancy shaped towels stop appearing in your room and there's no beer in your fridge or you wait for over 20 minutes for your drink to arrive round the pool. I had to laugh as we decided to travel light and use hotel toiletries - guess what? - no shower gel - though, after a tip, some did appear a few days later (it's blue coloured).
I thought the pool areas where very nice, plenty of sunbeds at anytime of the day (no reserving but some still did). The grounds were a credit to the staff that maintained them - lush grass and manicured shrubs. There were also more bars than any of the other hotels I had previously visited. Although Makadi guests can use the facilities (pools/drink/food) of the other adjacent hotels (Grand/Palace/Sunwings) their guests cannot use any of the Makadi Spa facilities and entry is strictly controlled (wrist band colour). Guests at the Makadi where prominently British and German with a few Russians and French.

What is clearly missing here is a manager who patrols the hotel looking for any faults and talks to the guests. You see the manager at the Sofitel and Premier Le Reve everyday (radio in hand at the Reve). I didn't see anyone here who remotely looked like a manager.

In summary, it was better in some areas than the Sofitel or Premier Reve but it would have to be a serious bargain to get me back to the Spa (oh yes - the 'Spa' bit still isn't open) over the other two.

Room Tip: High with a pool view - avoid ground floor/under arch
3  Thank GBGY
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We booked the spa through a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed at all. The rooms are luxurious, the view from our room was amazing and the staff couldn't do enough for you. I was very impressed by the selection of restaurants on offer which were included in the price and the mini bar in our room. By the end of the week we still hadn't tried them all!
My only criticism was that there were no tea/coffee facilities in our room and the restaurants close at 9.30pm as I would like to eat around this time. This has not put us off and we will be going back at the end of the year.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna B
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at the Makadi Spa for one week from the 5th April and had the most wonderful stay in fact we could not fault anything about it.
All staff were extremely polite and nothing was too much trouble. All hotel areas were spotlessly clean and the choice of food in the restaurants could not be bettered. There are even juicers provided at breakfast so freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit is available every morning.
Only complaint was the pools were too cold for me to venture in to but my husband and several other guests braved it. I am a bit of a wimp though where cold water is concerned!!!
Plenty of sun beds are provided and each pair have a sunshade which is cemented in so no danger of them being blown away by the very gusty winds which blew whilst we were there. There was even a waiter who came round the pool area offering to clean your sunglasses. My husband commented afterwards they had never been so clean!!!
We travelled with Red Sea Holidays and flew with Monarch from Gatwick. Could not fault either company as very friendly travel agent staff and flights were all on time.

Room Tip: Overlooking infinity pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary-Louise O
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks holiday at Makadi Spa.
We have stayed previously at the Palace twice.
The spa is very superior to the palace - we stayed in room 6343 - the room/suite was beautiful - separate seating and sleeping area - 50 inch tv which swivelled round so you can watch in bed or in lounge area - the balcony/patio was massive.
The down side of patio was you had to stand and look over the brick wall to see view - some balconies have wooden fence - which would have made it easier to watch the world go by.
Good bits - service everywhere excellent.
Pool area very spacious and luxurious (bit too hot for us - no breeze)
Makadi spa allocated beach - beer in large glasses - beach bed waiter service excellent - other customers staying at the other hotels (grand/palace/sunwing etc) not allowed to use beds there -
Snorkelling excellent (don't forget your beach/coral shoes- but if you do you can buy them there)
Ate at - fish restaurant n steak restaurant n Asian restaurant - all exclusive to spa customers - I recommend you go to the reps meet n greet so you understand all the rules for reservations.
Food was ok - but lacked any "kick" - all very bland - even chilli chicken at Asian .
You won't go hungary - but it's not a culinary experience - I know they are catering for a large amount of people - and the quality of the "taste" of the food reflects this.
Also ate at - French restaurant in the mall - where we paid a bit extra for a couple of dishes - the foods ok -
The restaurants in the mall have 40% all inclusive and the rest is pay - but reasonable prices.
The resort is great in the day - but I don't know where everyone goes at night!?!?
The Grand and the Palace have a bit more atmosphere at night - there's one small bar at the spa - so socialising with new made friends at night for a couple of after dinner drinks is a challenge.
Jokers bar at the palace was ALWAYS busy and very popular.
The makadi spa is good value for money - very relaxing.
Gentlemen - pack long trousers or smart dress shorts n a few shirts - the people staying at the spa were smartly dressed for dinner - no flip flops n shorts in some restaurants and some of the younger males did look out of place in their "boy band" outfits - against the smartly dressed Europeans -
Dress code at the grand was a bit more dress down.
Will go back at a reasonable price - for sunshine.

• Stayed: May 2013
1 mi away
Iberotel Makadi Beach
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 30 in Makadi Bay
Premier Le Reve Hotel & Spa (Adults Only)
Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa
The Makadi Palace Hotel
The Makadi Palace Hotel
#15 of 30 in Makadi Bay
SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort

Been to The Makadi Spa Hotel (Adults Only)? Share your experiences!