“Simply amazing from start to finish!!!”

The Makadi Spa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London
“Simply amazing from start to finish!!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the Makadi spa for a week and got home 22nd June 2013! The only bad thing I have to say is that we had to come back home. :( The whole week was a complete dream come true. A relaxing break in the sun in a luxurious hotel. It was 38-43 degrees the week we were there and loved every minute of it. The room was spacious, extremely clean and contemporary modern. Lots of lighting and nice living room area to relax in. We went on two trips. One was 'Paradise' snorkelling in the Red sea and a trip to a paradise island. The other was 'Badaywa' a full day of activities including quad bikes, buggies, horse, camel and donkey rides. Both trips were amazing.

The food was brilliant lots of choice we ate at the Asian where the portions are the biggest, Thai, Chinese, Spanish and Fish restaurants were all delicious. The world food and Shimmers were great too with so much choice. Also enjoyed Infinity bar for grilled chicken and burgers. Yummy. Our favourite drinks were Red Sea special and Tango cocktails which you can also get as takeaways to have on the beach just ask for a 'one way.' Didn't get holiday belly once although I did last year after staying at the Palace and Grand but the rest of my family were ok.

The service was second to none and all hotel staff that we met provided excellent customer service and we were always greeted with a huge smile. I was happy to tip people but I never felt forced. I did it as and when I felt to and wasn't constantly walking round with tips.

I stayed in the Infinity pool most of the time as I just loved the view but the other pool looked amazing too. It felt ice cold the first time I got in but after about 3 seconds I was glad for it.

If you want to pay extra you can further improve your holiday by opting for one of the rooms it's pool or jacuzzi. You could also add finer foods to yor meal fom the menu such as lobster. However I was quite satisfied with the caviar, Seabass served on the standard all inclusive menu at some restaurants.

I have stayed at the Palace and Grand Makadi before and the Spa tops them all by far. However, I do miss Mohammed's smiley face from the Grand Makadis Reception but Abdul at the Spa was just as friendly. The scenery and splendour of all 3 hotels are amazing but for me the rooms and the standard of food at the Spa is what your paying extra for and it's worth every penny.

With the Spa being more of a relaxing retreat there's beach parties and themed nights for all ages at the Palace and Grand. However people seemed to be getting bitten by mosquitoes while sat around the pool of the Palace at night so don't forget your repellent if going over there.

I'll definitely be back next year when the Spa is completely finished. Met some lovely people from Uk and also locals. See you soon Makadi Spa

Room Tip: We preferred the garden rooms with huge balconies but the sea view rooms have amazing view just have...
3 Thank Stacia N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for a week 14-21st June and really enjoyed our holiday at this hotel. I too have read and since returning re-read peoples opinions of the hotel, with both good and bad points pretty much on point. I like a 5 star hotel and expect it to live up to that rating and also think that all inclusive holidays when done right can be amazing value. To set it up for you, I expect quality, cleanliness, good service as a given (without having to tip) and great food.

My first tip would be definitely avoid the sheep herding by the holiday reps on arrival, if you go to the left and pay your visa there it is cheaper, so don't feel pressured to follow the crowd. Our transfer was pretty good, not much of a wait - the baggage system was very fast so no long waits for your bags. 35 minutes to the hotel. We had a nice enough welcome, although had to wait to fill out forms as they'd been forgotten in our welcome pack. We also received a welcome drink and a towel. After that check in was swift and bags brought to our rooms very quickly, we also got a nice show around the room. We arrived late ish, so could only use the spanish restaurant - it was ok, but had to ask to be fed.

Our room was side positioned overlooking the Makadi Palace which i was disappointed about as I like a pool/sea view and it was so pretty at this hotel it would have been nice, but in the end we settled nicely into ours which was quiet, overlooked lovely gardens and had a spacious balcony with furniture. We could have changed no problem and I was shown another room but decided against it in the end. The room we had was really nice, good quality, no issues with cleanliness, nice decor. The facts we found are that there is only bottled water in the minibar, there are no tea and coffee facilities in the room - which i would expect for a 5 star hotel, no robes or slippers, no ironing board or iron and yes the air conditioning is rather loud, but ours was cold and a welcome relief from the heat. An impressive set of facilities in the bathroom, double shower options, massive bath, two sinks (although doesn't drain well), and separate toilet. Great amount of storage space.

The weather was excellent - which is why i chose to go to Egypt in the first place, but it does get very hot but there were loads of sun beds all with umbrella's which are easy to open unlike some I've had to put up. We had fresh beach towels changed every evening - our beach bag was a bit tatty, but other people had some newer ones which looked ok. If you want a certain position by the pool though you need to be up very early. It says that you can't reserve beds before 8am, but most of them are already taken well before that, so be prepared to rise early. Drinks around the pool aren't served until 10am, so good to take a bottle of water from breakfast with you. The food was buffet but equal to any ultra all inclusive I've eaten in, a massive amount of choice that no one could complain about. Tea and coffee takes a while to arrive would be my only comment here.

The all inclusive was much better than I thought it would be. Tip - you can reserve from 3pm for the next night - go before, it gets booked up early. We steered clear of the buffet and used the a la carte restaurant, Fish restaurant was great (had the best serving experience and atmosphere), steak was not as good in my opinion, Asian was our favourite, great sushi and choice of meals and the service was good here too, but this one is all inside. Personally I like the experience of eating outside as this is something we rarely get to enjoy in this country! Shimmers for lunch was great too, lots of choice and the pool bar was good but basic choice. They do sometimes run out of some dishes, another tip would be to eat earlier,we tended to eat about 8-8.30pm which seems late as they close at 9.30pm, so we started eating at 7.30pm ish which made the whole experience better and more choice. I'm pretty fussy with food choice, and i think that most people would find dishes in any of the restaurants that were good and of value. Some special dishes were a bit more, but it is very clearly marked so you can't make a mistake and even at the paid for bar they advise you that you need to pay. we tried the Thai Garden in the Palace under recommendation from friends, but found this second rate to our own hotels offerings. This hotel was not in the same league, so when people say that you appreciate the relaxation and peace of the spa hotel I can agree with that, its nice to get back to it. I was also paranoid about hygiene haven been ill in Egypt before. I washed my hands regularly, especially after handling money (this is a big way to pass germs on apparently) used my antibacterial wash loads and took whatever precautions i could i.e. use bottle water to brush your teeth etc. I had ice in my drinks, but believe that this was made from bottled water anyway so was safe. I didn't eat salads and avoided any oils where possible and chose fresh cooked meals, ate lots of excellent fish and had fresh omelette's in the morning. I was fine the whole week, until i ate on the Dolphin trip boat and then got mildly ill. So doesn't matter what you try, sometimes its just bad luck, i would not be worried about the cleanliness of the hotel and don't believe I would have been ill if I'd not eaten out of the hotel. Take the necessary pills with you, but there is a pharmacy on site too.

The pool is pretty peaceful through the day, with some classical ish music in the afternoon. Tea and cake is served from 3.15pm every day in the bar outside the hotel, this was a nice end to a days sunbathing and meant that you could check on messages/texts etc as the wifi is only available in the lobby, this is poor in my opinion for a 5 star hotel. There is construction noise going on which again you don't expect from this level of hotel, and I doubt the spa will be open until next year. There is lots to do round the sides of the hotel and the front still. I usually visit the gym on holiday too, but as it is paid for i didn't bother, I think this is poor too of a 5 star hotel. There is no entertainment, but this didn't bother us. Its next door at the Palace if you want it and we didn't, preferring long days in the sun and peaceful relaxing evening meals. Turn right out of the hotel to the beach, left is rocky, right is nice and sandy and you get to see amazing fish in the reefs, we usually wandered over there at mid morning. I advise you to take beach shoes, it is sand but there is some rocky bits. You can easily snorkel around for hours - I found this experience better than the paid for snorkelling trip.

You get asked about drinks all day which is great, the staff are excellent, apart from a few grumpy bar men, pool service was much nicer. There isn't really a good cocktail selection on the all inclusive in my opinion, but you won't go thirsty. just try to adapt to what there is and enjoy it which is what I had to do. The hotel is immaculately kept, people cleaning, sweeping, washing and clearing all the time, even outside along the beach front you get a really nice experience of being in a safe clean complex. We went to the little shops to the left for a few comforts like bottles of diet coke, mixers, crisps etc, it is a bit pricey, but no more than you'd expect from being on a resort like this. You could quite happily go the whole holiday without spending anything extra - but we went to celebrate a birthday so treated ourselves to some extras. It was my boyfriends birthday while we were away, and i think the cleaner must have tipped the hotel off as she'd seen the cards, but when we got back to the room that day he had a birthday cake delivered - so a really unexpected treat from them, these are the little touches that i think are the sign of somewhere nice.

We tipped after evening meals where we thought the service was beyond what was expected and sometimes around the pool, but i never felt pressured to tip.

We took the Dolphin trip, its a long day, up very early but worth it for being able to swim with wild Dolphins - but watch the food! Not bad price either as we had two snorkelling stops, breakfast and lunch provided and free drinks all day. It was refreshing to do something out of the hotel and we enjoyed the boat journey.

We didn't experience anyone outside coming in to our hotel, in fact even Palace and Grand guests without children were not allowed in to look.

The garden bar does have the most atmosphere but it can get full pretty quickly, we tended to have a drink in there before dinner and maybe a few afterwards - these were the friendliest staff in my opinion.

We would definitely go back but probably latter part of the year when the temp drops a bit to low 30's! Overall this hotel was beautiful, a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone. And when it is finished it will be even better. They need to add those little tweaks and then I would say it is a 5 star experience.

2 Thank claws77
shannon
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My friend and I got a great deal so this is absolutely not a moan, we got what we paid for and more. However, for those paying 5 star prices I would put the Makadi Spa at a good 4*. Why??
The rooms are huge, well furnished and clean, however we would have expected the bedlinen to be changed more than weekly. Also the bathroom products are dreadful, do take your own. Pool area.....water temperature very variable, waterfalls rarely switched on, service patchy, many tiles missing in the pools, cotton sunbed covers need a darn good wash! Gardens are beautifully kept all credit to the very hard working gardeners. The Italian restaurant at the Palace was our favourite, exellent Pizzas. The Spanish was awfull, poor food and service. Asian, service excellent and menu varied and well presented. Steak and Fish both needs work. You will not go hungry, and with a little bit of tweaking ie. less salt, so folk can add their own, there would be more happy faces after Dinner. We loved the squeeze your own Breakfast juice but hated the instant Coffee. For me a cafetiere starts the day well. The only time you can have a decent coffee within the A.I is in the garden/lobby bar between 3.30 and 5pm.... coffee and cake. If you don't ask you will get instant so do say real coffee please not Nescafe. There does appear to be a need for the hotel to have a designated focal point in the evenings. Because the garden/lobby bar is not in the A.I people wander about without focus after dinner. To be a real 5*, the staff most definately need a lot of training. It is not the fault of the workers who are hard pressed and poorly paid yet cheerful and polite. It is the management who expect these men to speak several languages and give a 5* star service without the means to do so. If you can get a great deal go for it if not look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view on a high floor. Staff are amenable if you ask to change your room. A sense of h...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank shannon52
London UK
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had a lovely break at the Makadi Spa Hotel and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in Hurghada. Ignore the bad reviews we had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed our stay so much that we will be booking again in October.

The Hotel has beautiful pools and surroundings and has been designed to perfection.

Room
The rooms are very spacious, modern and clean. We initially had the junior suite and decided to upgrade to a pool suite. The room was beautiful and much larger and included our own pool along with a large terrace area. Again very clean.

We thoroughly enjoyed all the dining options here and were pleasantly surprised by the wide range of food choices and restaurants available.

Staff
The staff are extremely polite and helpful and always go the extra mile for you. The staff and their hospitality made our holiday for us. We felt very welcome.

our 1st visit to Egypt was fantastic and this hotel exceeded our expectations so much so that we intend on booking again in October this year.

Thank you so much Makadi Spa. Keep up the 5 star standards.

4 Thank jj19820
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Visited the Makadi Spa from the 4th June - 14th June. First the room we were given I was a little skeptical because it wasn't a pool view, however we learnt to love this room as we had a garden view which was lovely and quiet. (Also had a better, bigger and more private balcony).
When we arrived at the hotel they had prepared us a meal that we ate in the Spanish restaurant as we had arrived late (around 11.30pm) and the restaurants had stopped dining by then. The food was fish and some other meat, (not ideal as you don't get to choose if u are fussy like myself) but nice of them to do this for you.

Surroundings are amazing!!! Beautiful pools and the infinity pool view onto the sea is stunning. All areas are kept spotlessly clean and the pool boys (Mahmood in particular) are great help and always offering you drinks. They do welcome tips but in our opinion none were ever expected. We found that if you tipped on maybe the first day, middle and end of the holiday they will look after you.

There is an almost endless selection of restaurants to eat in across three hotels and the makadi mall (2 minutes walk from the spa), like the steak, fish, French, Spanish, Indian, Italian, Asian, Chinese plus many more. Some do charge extra but there are choices that are free and the drinks are still all inclusive. We ate in the Indian, steak which we paid extra for but was worth it. We paid £13 for the Indian as we chose two main meals that were an extra charge, (wine and starters all inclusive). A lot of the other restaurants in the other hotels are lovely and all inclusive (would definitely recommend the Milange which is international food cooking stations however this does get busy).

This is a quiet hotel and there isn't a lot of entertainment however there are certain nights such as the beech party in front of the grand twice a week and singers etc on in the palace and the grand which are good. We got a taxi to the marina in Hurghada twice though which took about 40 mins and cost £10 return in a taxi. There is some nice bars there and papas beech club which was good but the drinks are quite expensive.

Overall an amazing holiday and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for relaxation and bliss!!

6 Thank Jessica R
Grand Gaube
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from 3rd June until 10 th June 2013 this hotel is not all inclusive as the charge for drinks in the lobby and outside the lobby area up until a certain time and does not offer a 5 star service either some crockery have cracks or chips on it you constantly have to ask for cups and spoons and coffee in the Mornings at breakfast time.
Lobby had big hole in the ceiling.
My beach bag they supply had big holes in it.
The sun bed cushions were ripped.
The jacuzzi had a lot of tiles missing.
They don't have everything on the menu they constantly run out of food choices
Waiter service is very poor with some waiters
Mini bar just has 1 bottle of water in
No bath ropes and slippers which you should get in a 5 star hotel
No turn down service with clean towels for the morning so if you want a shower you have to use the wet 1 from the night before
Poor cocktail menu
Poor food menu
All 4 of us had diarrhoea and sickness which we had to go to the pharmacy to get disinfectant tablets sickness tablets and diarrhoea tablets
Hope my pictures have down loaded for you all to see please please check them out before you book this hotel

• Stayed June 2013
10 Thank Lisa W
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Visited 21-28 May 2013.
What an amazing place the Makadi Spa is and will be once completed.
Here is my essay...you have been warned!!!

We originally were going to book the Makadi Palace as it had a deal of £408p.p - however after reviewing on trip advisor, we found the Spa reviews to be better so decided to pay the extra for the Spa hotel.

BOOKING DETAILS: We booked with Voyager travel (sam) who was great. Airline was Thomas Cook from m/cr which was fine...a meal was even included. Upon arrival at Hurghada I MUST stress to people to buy their visa at the kiosks on the left as you walk into the terminal. Visas here are £10.00 each otherwise you will be ushered into the long queues (depending which tour operator your with) and be charged a premium of £13.00 each. I know its only £6 per couple but this 'scam' irritates me.
Transfer to Makadi Bay is 30 mins by coach. Arrival to the Makadi Bay is like entering a mini resort which is gated, which feels safe. There are 4 hotels on the resort...Sunworld, Makadi Grand, Palace and Spa. All hotels look amazing.

HOTEL: Upon arrival I was a little disappointed at the entrance / appearance of the Spa hotel, however once inside all is forgotten....I did realise after a few days that the front is still under construction and once finished it will be lovely. Check-in was quick and efficient with cold towels provided along with a cold drink. Your shown to your room and cases followed within 15 minutes.

ROOMS: We were in room 6203 - 2nd floor looking out to sea (corner plot) so had numerous windows to open and get a good air flow. Balcony wasnt the biggest, had 2 chairs, table and footstools however never once did we use the balcony. Rooms are large and very modern and very comfortable. A huge bed, walk in robe and a bathroom to die for....2 sinks, separate toilet and walk in shower room with a bath big enough to bathe a camel !!! quality towels and plenty of shower cream. shampoos etc. Only downside was the air conditioning was noisy and wasnt very cold.

POOL / GARDENS: All areas are kept immaculate. The hotel / pool / bars are all clean and impressive. The infinity pool is breathtaking. The Makadi Spa is by far the nicest of the 3 hotels. Weather was hot all week. We occasionally had lunch at the other hotels and found the grounds to be a lot hotter (no breeze) and not as sunny due to all the palm trees.

RESTAURANTS:
World Buffet - Only ate once here on our first night. Food was of a good choice and looked fine. I personally dont enjoy 'buffet' food hence only eating here once. Breakfast was served here and was fine.
The Cove - Breakfasts only. Lovely little restaurant which was cool in a morning - best place for breakfast in my opinion purely because it was nice to sit outside in the cool shade.
Infinity Pool Bar - Good choice of bar food and very good.
Shimmers - Food more 'restaurant' type at lunchtime
Spanish - Not great
Steak House - fantastic
Asian - Fantastic (my favorite)
Leonardo (Italian at Makadi Grand) - poor service, food average

Your allowed to eat as part of your all inclusive at the Mall which is a little area with restaurants which is nice to go somewhere different...only a 3 min walk from hotel.
Chinese (Mall) - lovely meal - really good
Egyptian - again really good
Italian - poor - didnt enjoy

You can book for the Mall restaurants with reception every day to go the following day.
The Asian, Steak, Fish restaurants can also be booked at the reservation desk between 3-5 every day and you can go as many times as you like.

OVERALL HOLIDAY SUMMARY: I would definitely recommend the Spa hotel as by far is it one of the nicest hotels I have been to in Egypt or even Europe.
The whole package...restaurants, being adults only, lovely grounds, bars etc all make this hotel special. Our week was enjoyable and met some lovely people.

In an evening this is where the hotel fails......The Garden Bar was the only place that had some atmosphere - everywhere else was quiet. The lobby bar which is the main bar (which is in all the pictures for this hotel on the website) is no longer part of the all inclusive deal which is a real shame as this to me could be 'the place' in an evening with light entertainment such as a violinist, saxophone player, singer maybe? I found most guests left the Spa and went to find atmosphere in the other hotels. If you want a relaxing holiday and early to bed, then this place is for you. Sun rises at 5.30 am and goes down about 5.30pm so early mornings are a must.

I had the usual Egyptian tummy upset and after speaking to other guests found many had too - I have been to Egypt 3 times and suffered everytime !!!

One thing I would say and hope management read this....I think hand sanitisers should be installed outside of every restaurant - especially the buffet restaurants....as a 5 star hotel I feel this is a must !

I viewed one of the top floor Jacuzzi suites which are enormous - massive balcony with loungers, dining suite, hot tub......definitely for that special occasion ! I also stumbled across rooms with what looked like swim up rooms which were still under construction....again once, once finished will be special.

Overall, an amazing hotel with excellent service and staff - a little tip does help, please remember these boys work long hours for very little.
The Makadi Spa, once completed with be absolutely amazing and I will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: We had room 6203 overlooking sea. Would choose this room again
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple