“Total Relaxation”

The Makadi Spa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel is a work in progress but this didn't stop us having a lovely time. I have just returned from The Makadi Spa hotel we visited between 12/07/13-26/07/13. I do tend to do my homework on places before I visit so knew up front that this hotel is still in the process of being built.
ARRIVAL-This was smooth after a good flight with Monarch we arrived to be given a nice welcome and a cool drink, our keys and detailed sheets of the hotel and it's facilities were given to us. We were taken to our rooms and our luggage was delivered about 10 mins later.
ROOM-.The rooms are gorgeous, very spacious, nice big bed, his and hers sinks separate toilet and bidet,shower and large bath. Very neutral in colour so easy on the eye, Safe provided and a large T.V, separate seating area all very comfortable, air con a bit noisy. We were in room number 6304 on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the sea, shaded throughout the day a blessing I feel as it helped to keep the room cooler.
RECEPTION/LOBBY AREAS- Spacious reception area with seating and free wi-fi connection. There is an area with two computers fr those who did not bring a laptop/tablet. We found the staff on reception helpful and pleasant at all times at no time during our stay did we feel staff were rude as I have read in other reviews. Yes sometimes you have to repeat yourself but they always got what we were talking about in the end. The lobby bar is a nice area but during the hours of 10am-12 midnight you pay extra for drinks except in the afternoon where you can get tea/coffee and cakes all inclusive. During the hours of midnight and 10am there is no extra charge for drinks so if you get up to watch the sunrise (worth doing) pay Wagdy a visit he likes a chat and makes a good cuppa, he is also knowledgeable if you have a bit of a tummy upset which I want to say is NOT caused by the food or hygiene problems but more likely the heat best thing at first sign of any problem go to the chemist opposite
WORLD BUFFET-Large restaurant giving plenty of choices of food, the best advice I can give is go in have a good walk around find out where things are then tuck in, we didn't have anything in there we didn't like and found it hot and tasty. You have the option to eat out on the terrace but we did find it too warm and preferred to eat inside in the air con, top tip if eating outside make sure you have tropical strength mosquito spray I found this worked and didn't get bitten the whole two weeks. Again all staff in this area very eager to please, small tips regularly go a long way rather than a large tip all in one go.
ASIAN RESTAURANT-Loved this place the food is consistently good, service is also consistent and you don't go thirsty the waiters constantly topping up your water and bringing your chosen drinks, the menu is varied and delicious for a small charge you can order teppanyaki, well worth the show as the chef cooks in front of you and he is very proud of all the food he cooks and when he gets the chance he will come and talk with you, this we found to be very nice and something that happens in upper class restaurants at home, a very nice touch. Both the food and service really complimented each other, needless to say this was our favourite place to eat . You need to pre-book your table which you can do in the lobby area during the afternoon.
SPANISH RESTAURANT-The food is ok in here although there seems to be a misunderstanding of the word Tappas, Tappas means small dishes of which you can order a variety, we were told we could only order one thing from each page this kind of defeats the object but what we had was nice again no problem with drinks they were constantly topped up and the staff again very nice and accommodating
SHIMMERS RESTAURANT- Nice lunchtime menu overlooking the sea. If there is something on a dish you do not like make it very clear when ordering to avoid any confusion. They are more than happy to accommodate for changes but you need to be clear. If they do get an order wrong they are more than happy to put this right.
THE COVE-My favourite place for breakfast it is a nice intimate area the breakfast items are set out in a much more orderly fashion than the World Buffet but on saying that The World Buffet for breakfast is fine. The staff in The Cove were very helpful and very attentive, the chef doing the eggs is efficient,doing poached, fried, omelettes with your choice of fillings, they will ask if you want your eggs turned over or not. Plenty of choices of bread and pastries, fruits, youghurts, cereals, cheeses cooked meats and salad items over all a very good breakfast can be had, fresh juice which you squeeze yourself is also available and specialist teas herbal, mint etc are available you just need to ask .
THE FISH/STEAK RESTAURANTS-These two didn't blow us away they are ok though, I did feel I was being rushed we had booked for 8pm and felt they would like to be finished by 9pm
There is the facility to eat in many other places but we found we were happy with what we had in the Makadi Spa.
POOL AREA-This area is lovely plenty of sunbeds, the pool staff very helpful. There are a few areas of maintenance required with loose tiles in the pools, I am sure that this is an ongoing problem for most hotels the weather is extremely hot so cracking of grout is bound to happen, yes the hotel hasn't been open long and maybe some people find it a problem that there are areas that need maintaining, show me a hotel in the world that is 100% perfect all the time... you will not be able too, the best hotels in the world need constant maintenance, so please give them a chance before you complain and take photos. The infinity pool is lovely just a shame that some people do not read the guidelines about not leaning/lying over the edge, the pool guys have enough to do without constantly having to tell people to get down. Also ladies don't go topless it is on the pool sign and you are in a predominantly Muslim country. You can get lunchtime snacks at the pool bar again nice food and good service.
BEACH AREAS-Are clean and well serviced again plenty of sunbeds. A nice walk along to the pier where the fish are varied and quite big. The water is warm and inviting and the fish are incredible worth a few pounds for a snorkel if you don,t already have one.
We did two trips while there The day to paradise Island, including snorkeling off the boat well worth doing if not too windy and The Badawya trip wheer you do sand buggies horses camels and quad bikes a ride out in the desert in a jeep to a Bedouin camp an evening BBQ and entertainment worth going on alot of fun. We booked massages on the beach so felt very relaxed.
Would I go back the answer is yes I would like to visit when the hotel is fully open and I would like to visit the Pyramids which we were unable to do in the current climate of affairs in Egypt. We felt very safe and very pampered in The Makadi Spa and am very pleased we went.

4  Thank tina186338

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Even though this was an upgrade in respect of our cancelled Nile Cruise we spent 10 days at the Spa.In our opinion this is more a 4* than 5. When first taken to our room 6025 we were shown to the lifts which had a "maintenance sign do not use" with loose wiring on show, this notice persisted throughout our visit so a back staircase was used instead.
The room for two people was more than adequate as was little used. The air conditioning could not cope with the size of the room, the toilet extract fan could not cope with all the smells. Why such a big bed I will leave to your imagination. We thought the white painted furniture looked cheap and was so in relation to the bedside drawers. Plenty of mood lighting but non over the dressing table mirror (complaint from "her indoors"). Some people may not like the absence of wardrobe doors and likewise the see through screen between the bathing area and the bedroom.
The all inclusive meals were small and variable as with other reviews some good some bad but it was possible to find a reasonable meal at the variety of restaurants Do not try to get into the Main with bare feet (men) no matter how good your dress and the quality of you shoes, socks must be worn or folded napkins as some previous reviewer resorted too. For breakfast the Coral a fantastic start to any day provided by a beaming chef and wonderful staff. The paid for Asian special cooked for you in front of you we found a joke (although we won ours) but give me my own wok any time.Th pool area always clean, the sunbed mattress were past their sell by date some split, the pool and jacuzzi were surprising in the number of loose and missing tiles in such a new resort.The evening entertainment was practically non existent and if in the pool bar entertaining themselves as this are is not All Inc.Opinions were expressed that a good social meeting point was missing, in our opinion the Shimmers area is wasted in the evening as it could provide a bar and entertaining/dancing space. All in all the staff were great especially if tipped (not obligatory) but expected (1£ coins) As gathered we will not be returning much too quiet for two lively 80 year olds

3  Thank Geoffrey L
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and i stayed 5/7/13-19/0713. The hotel is beautiful but still some work in progress, although this in no way affects you. Not sure why called 'Spa' as 2 years down the line there isnt one! (reason we believe is in Egypt if a building is being worked on you get 5yrs off of paying taxes)
The room (6360) stunning room had amazing views of Red Sea and Makadi Bay (we changed to this room on arrival with no hesitation from the staff). The staff are amazing and cant emphasis that enough!
Location is breathtaking and snorkeling is some of the finest there is though beach shoes are a must!
Down side to this hotel is, you cant even get a coffee or soft drink in the stunning lobby bar inside or outside free of charge until between midnight to 10am. This ruling only came in 6 months ago due to noise from drinkers in the lobby bar but no soft drinks..really??? some restaurants are confusing as they have 'all inclusive' menus and extra charge menus, this is not how ALL INCLUSIVE works! All the food is lovely though.
Your towels are changed every day but they are changed between 5pm-7pm by a guy coming to your room and we found that this was right about the time we were either showering or having a little nap and pressing the do not disturb button on the door made no difference!!! Being on the top floor the lifts were a god send but regularly broke down luckily there are 3 lifts so always one working. No tea or coffee in rooms
I would class this hotel as possibly 4+ star although they are trying hard but havent quite got it right yet.
All that aside the hotel is lovely, staff amazing, and views outstanding.
All in all an amazing beautiful place, fabulous friendly staff and we would go back but maybe for only one week not two.

2  Thank Vicky A
Reviewed 26 July 2013

14th to 28th May Room 6314/6316
Third time we have been here and still a warm welcome and staff are delighted to see returning faces, makes them feel they are doing something right.
I am going to skip the usual rooms, pool etc as you have heard it all before. They only thing I will say is Hi to Mahmoud Omar see you in November (the best pool boy in Egypt)
New to us this time was The World Buffet and Jaspers
The World if a really up market buffet (if you can call it that) we never had a bad meal either breakfast or dinner, fresh pasta cooked to order large roasts, lots of meats cooked how you want it and in all tastes to fit everyone Indian, Chinese, Italian and local etc.
Jaspers we used only once let me start by saying the food was LOVELY and the chef does a great job, but the outside area where we sat was not up to scratch for a fine dining restaurant. I do not expect to be eating off a plastic table mat, nor do I expect to see dust and cement on the balustrade that runs around the outside area. Service was very attentive and what you would expect. We noticed that table cloths were being used in The World in the evenings and after a word in a receptive ear both of these things were resolved overnight but should have been done so before. Moan over.
I was unfortunately extremely ill whilst we were there but not with the Pharaoh's Revenge, I had kidney stones but I have to say that I was so well looked after I would NEVER have any qualms about going to Egypt again. I was looked after attentively by the resort doctor and when it was clear I needed to be hospitalised this was totally organised for us. We were taken to The Red Sea Hospital by hotel car and the treatment I received at the hospital was, I think better that I would have received at our local hospital at 8pm on a Friday night. From the administrator who stayed with us until she had found the BBC channel on the TV in our room at 1am to the porters and kitchen staff we were very well looked after. I was released the following evening and again a car was waiting for us to go back to the hotel, where the doctor insisted on seeing me every day until we left. And not just to rack-up charges.
So I will say to all those who wont go to Egypt in case they were to get ill - you need a new excuse.
Treatment for the hospital including CT scan, ultrasound, consultant, private room and all medications at the hospital and hotel came in at £1200. I cannot fault them.
In conclusion We will be going back and we can recommend,

Room Tip: anywhere really
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebandJeff
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 weeks from July 5th onwards, we had never been to Egypt before but we just wanted a relaxing break after a hectic last 8 months or so and went on the recommendation of a friend

All in all we had a fantastic stay, very chilled out place, staff were all very helpful and courteous, more than enough sunbeds around the pools, and of course the weather was fantastic.

We both suffered from upset stomachs but after a visit to the pharmacy it wasn't a major problem although we did speak to some people who had suffered considerably more with some of them being in bed ranging from 2 to 4 days.

Our opinion of the Makadi spa was that it is a 4 to 4.5 star hotel but in their favour they are really trying against very difficult economic circumstances to be a 5 star and we couldn't fault them in that respect.

Although the food was good it was spoilt in the sense that you were constantly thinking is this going to be the meal that makes me ill.

The best part of the hotel was definitely the room and in our opinion the room we had was already of a 5 star standard.

To summarise we had a fantastic time but I am not sure we would return but that is not a slur on the hotel it's more that it seems that if you go to Egypt in general it's a lottery on getting ill or not.

We would just like to add that if you are concerned at all about the troubles in Egypt please don't be this place could not be more tranquil.

Room Tip: If you are unhappy with your room or anything else simply let them know they will go out of their wa...
3  Thank asia-crazy
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed at the makadi spa back in march this year, our stay was excellent in every way apart from the pool being ice cold, however that is the norm for most hotels also in europe,the cleanliness in this hotel is paramount and also the food hygiene,I had a bit of a funny tummy which is to be expected with the change of food and beverage intake was probably more so than if I was I was at home,and also take in to account the heat.
The chefs are highly trained to the up most standards.
I will definatley be returning to the makadi spa hotel next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank georgepebbles
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks and we had read the reviews both good and bad before coming.
This hotel is amazing if you are the kind of person who wants to take pictures of cracked cups and missing pool tiles you will miss the most amazing thing about this hotel.... The staff. They are the most amazing people we have met and they are so-proud of their hotel and their only wish is that you have a great holiday
The level of personnel care ranges from Mohammed in the world restaurant making me tomato soup every night as he found out it was my favourite to the presentation of the fruit at dessert to the boys at reception who helped me eat the chocolate stash in the fridge. Everyone is so happy and helpful and all you have to do is ask. They will get to know you very quickly and things appear before you ask for them.

The staff attitude is lead by the manager Mr Hansen who you will see regularly walking round the hotel talking to guests.

The hotel itself is stunning and it will be amazing when the building works are finished

We have been to Egypt 8 times and to various hotels and we will be back and it will be only to this hotel....

If you come I highly recommend dining under the stars ....

I would like to thank Mr Hansen and all the staff for making this holiday amazing and everything my husband and I needed. We will be back and look forward to catching up wi all our new friends soon.

Room Tip: 6334 though if you don't like your room they are happy to change it for you
3  Thank michalae