“plenty of restaurant choices and no cheesy animation style entertainment” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Makadi Spa Hotel

The Makadi Spa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Guildford, United Kingdom
“plenty of restaurant choices and no cheesy animation style entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We went back to Egypt for the 2nd year this February for some relaxation in the winter sun, this was our first time at the Makadi Spa and it was fantastic.We are a married couple in our mid 30's and were probably the youngest English people there, that was no problem for us as we were there to relax, plus we aren't keen on the variety show style entertainment that all inclusive hotels seem so fond of. We met another couple who we spent our evenings with chatting and making a dent in the stock of gin and tonic.

Last year we went to a different resort and found the buffet style food at our Dahab hotel a bit repetitive and found that we missed the restaurant experience you get when you go on holiday. But at the Makadi Spa you have the choice of 5 places to eat dinner: the World (their buffet), Asian (chinese and japanese), a Fish restaurant, a Steak restaurant and our favourite; a Tapas restaurant with eccentric manager Ibrahim serving up his recommendations. There is also plenty of choice for lunch options at different restaurants too. As you can tell food is important to us and we thought we'd share this info as not many people write much about the food. As the hotel is part of a larger complex of 4 large hotels you can also use their restaurants so there is even more choice than just the Makadi Spa ones. The only thing we went to the hotels for was ice cream (it seems the adults only Makadi Spa did not cater for adults who like ice cream)!

Anyway the hotel is beautiful and right on the beach with reef access, the staff are very accommodating and friendly, and transfers are easy, it's only 30 mins from Hurghada airport. A plus for us was minimal 'animation team' style entertainment, we enjoyed just having a drink and chatting in the bars without feeling compelled to watch a variety show or even worse get dragged up to join in.

Holiday tip: I'd urge anyone going to either take pounds coins, dollar notes or change up small notes of Egyptian ponds to ensure you can tip staff if you wish, tips are part of Egyptian custom and are appreciated. I know we didn't take cash as it's an all inclusive holiday and weren't planning on spending, but once out there we did want cash for tipping and it was difficult to get small notes as they tend to charge your room for extra's rather than take cash.

We generally don't go back to the same place twice (the world is just to big with other places to explore), but we would definitely consider going back to the Makadi Spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view on the north side - it will be south facing with a sunny bacony.
7 Thank GemmaJamieB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Pendle England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

we have just spent, regrettably, only one week at this magnificent hotel. the setting, the facilities, the fabulous rooms, the excellent food and the exceptionally obliging staff were all at the top of their game. It was a stunning setting, and being adult only, relaxing and quiet. always a sun bed available and a choice of 5 a la carte restaurants. we heartily recommend this hotel to all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pendlelady
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I went to Makadi Spa for a cheeky week in the sun in February 2014 (just got back Friday the 14th) and I have to say it was great. In summary the hotel was clean, the rooms well appointed, the staff nice, the pool areas extensive and the food was good generally. It is also the first time I have been to Egypt in 4 visits that I haven't suffered some type of stomach infection resulting in loss of a day or so of the holiday.

Firstly if you haven't been to Egypt before I would recommend taking lots of hand sanitiser. The place isn't filthy or anything like that, far from it, but the bacteria there isn't friendly to a lot of overseas travellers so it's useful to have and use before eating and regularly through the day. I didn't take any Egyptian money with me this time being all inclusive and tipped the waiters and staff with pounds sterling, this is perfectly acceptable out there and works out with the current exchange rate to be better but if you do take Egyptian pounds be sure to sanitise after touching it. I also didn't eat any salads or cold meals. Finally I took a probiotic tablet each day for 3 before I went and each day there. As I say, the first of 3 previous trips I didn't get ill, if you are worried about that then take these precautions and you should be ok. If all else fails the pharmacies out there are great and are very used to our bad tummies so will sort you out.

On to the hotel. The staff were very warm and friendly on welcome, you don't even have to check in per se. They sit you down, give you a drink and come over to you with a key card and tell you your room is ready and take you to it, no messing about queueing up! Loved it.

The room was brilliant, I will put some pics up but basically I had a bathroom consisting of three separate parts, toilet and bidet, twin sinks and a wet room with a bath and rain shower. The water was hot and consistent, the shower had enough pressure in the water to clean you without having to jump about under it to get wet so all good on the washing front.

The bed was massive as I have come to expect from previous visits to 5 star hotels in the area. Very comfy and made every day by the cleaner.

There was a separate sitting room with a big "L" shape settee and flat screen TV and from there a decent sized balcony with rattan furniture. The mini bar was stocked with a couple of beers, some water and some fizzy drinks each day and is free as part of the all inclusive package.

The room was cleaned and came with fresh towels each day, they were massive and very nice too. They also supply you with massive beach towels each day and a big bag to carry them so no need to take additional towels if you were so minded.

The overall accommodation was very clean, nicely decorated and very contemporary. The lighting in there was something else, if you find all of the different light switches you'll have done better than me it was like a christmas tree when you turn them all on!

The pool area has a large and long pool that is heated to about 26 cel and was pleasant, the infinity pool and pool by the bar were both lovely to look at but freezing at this time of year so I wouldn't suggest going for a swim in them unless you like a plunge pool. The area surrounding them was fine with plenty of loungers, very nice ones with soft mattresses on them and some double loungers with little hoods that pull up. In honesty I never managed to net myself one of those as I get the feeling people get up before the crack of dawn to secure them and I couldn't be bothered, I always found somewhere decent to lounge in the sun. The beach was pretty nice too and being part of the spa there weren't ay kids allowed so it was a lot more quiet than some beaches. It was laid out with two loungers under a big parasol and a table and these were enclosed in a wind break so they are semi private and sheltered from the wind. Again, like all else there, very clean and tidy. Waiters come over to you every hour or so to get you drinks, chuck them a couple of quid early doors and secure top notch service from then on.

The Spa isn't actually open and by the look of it I can't see it being open any time soon, they aren't even working on it!! That aside it didn't really matter to either of us and didn't detract from the holiday. I'd imagine when it is up and running you may end up paying more anyway so grab a bargain while you can!

The food and choice was pretty good, the main buffet was fine and I always found food I wanted, plenty of good meats, chicken, beef, pork, turkey and others were often if not always on offer and plenty of variety of other things to go with them. I need regular and good quality food and this place had what I wanted so I was happy with that. As part of the larger Makadi bay area you can also eat in any of the other hotels buffets and make use of loads of a la carte diners. We went to the Asian one in the Spa hotel and it was very nice, highly recommended. The French in the mall area wasn't bad, the food was good but the choice was very limited unless you were prepared to pay extra for most of the other choices, as I was all inclusive I didn't see the need in that. I get the impression that if you were staying at one of the other hotels the food might not be as good as at the spa so the extra price was maybe aimed at them. The ones in the spa didn't incur any extra prices for anything you wanted apart from some alcohol.

The mall area has some shops and a gym, tennis courts, football pitch and some entertainment. It was very quiet when we were there and not really our cup of tea anyway. We did go the gym a couple of times at £5 a session but when it went dark at about 5:30 we had a couple of hours to kill so figured we may as well train. I know it isn't everyone's thing but the gym was ok for a hotel, plenty of weights, a couple of smith machines with attachments for tricep pull downs, bicep curls and the like and a load of cardio equipment such as running machines and bikes. Fully air conditioned and overlooking the sea and the tennis/football, albeit it was too dark to see properly.

I would go again in a heart beat. You are pretty much guaranteed the weather to be good, the price is fine, the flights are 5 hours or just over and you can't really fault the place.

My only gripe was with the flight out there. We flew with Thomas Cook on the way there and Monarch on the way back. The way back the plane was clean, new and had good legroom and overall feel to it. There was a small meal served and the staff were attentive and efficient. The Thomas Cook plane was outdated, had less legroom and they didn't serve any food. I didn't realise this until towards the end of the flight and by the time I asked for something from the in flight purchase menu they were selling duty free and took nearly an hour to sort a snack out. You may find on booking that the tour operator is "Red Sea Holidays". I think they must contract Thomas Cook and Monarch to fly in and out. Just be wary with Thomas Cook, I've had more than enough bad experiences with their flights being delayed by 10 hours, having poor service and generally poor standard.

As I said though, I don't want to end on a negative that was the start and it got better each day culminating in a lovely relaxing time and I can't wait to be able to head out there again!

7 Thank RPThompson
Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Makadi Spa and it was wounderful. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
The standard of the hotel is superb and beautifully finished. My room was perfect, spacious, clean and of a high standard.
The food was amazing and I thought the World restaurant gave excellent chocie and again the standard was high.
I shall be returning and would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: high up looking over the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karenwr14
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Due to my husband being disabled we have been reluctant to take holidays abroad. Not any more!!! The Mikadi Spa is perfect for wheelchair use, with every area of the hotel and beach front perfectly accessible. We had a ground floor room with huge balcony/terrace and were able to negotiate both the lounge, bedroom and bathroom areas with ease.The double patio doors slid back providing more than enough space to manouvre the wheelchair out onto the terrace.
Without exception every member of staff would offer to push the wheelchair for me and even when we went out to the sister hotels a porter would assist us.
There are large lifts which take you down to the beach and promenade and the private Mikadi Spa beach is just a short stroll from the lifts.
Standards of cleanliness are excellent and clean bathroon towels provided daily, in fact the man calls early evening to collect beach towels and replace them with clean ones!!!
Food, not only in the Makadi Spa but the other sister hotels is great and although we live in Spain one of our favourite restaurants was the Spanish Tapas Restaurant, well worth a visit.
Many thanks to management and staff for an EXCEPTIONAL HOLIDAY experience
Cant praise the hotel staff enough for giving us a perfect holiday and we are already planning the next one.

1 Thank Jean A
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had a week at Makadi spa which is all inclusive adult only hotel.. The rooms are huge and the place is welcoming .. Lots of different places to eat and even though all inclusive and you can eat what you want the portion controls are good and food healthy ( diet not jeopardised ). Bars tend to close at 12pm . Can seem bit early.. Only money really spent was on tips so tip for you is to take plenty of small notes or pound coins .. Around the hotel are other hotels which are all Inclusive to Makadi spa residents .. Great snorkelling off the jetty. Only downside was husband had a kidney infection .. Drink plenty of water and if u need to see the doctor there was one at hotel who were great .. We will definitely go back ...

• Stayed February 2014
Aberdare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Due the terrible January weather, we booked a last minute holiday to this 5 star, ADULT ONLY hotel and what a hotel !. Positioned on the seafront, this hotel as everything you require for a peaceful holiday, no screaming kids, no loud music, whilst trying to sun bathe and the only pool activities were 'stretching and yoga'. Saying this, if you wanted any other sport facilities, you could go to their other 3 'Sister Hotel' - plenty there and in close proximity. All rooms are 'Mini Suites', with Jacuzzi and Private Pool rooms at an extra cost. Quite honestly, you wouldn't need any more than a 'Mini Suite', as they are very spacious, with a bath and shower and his and hers washbasin. The main restaurant is buffet, open for breakfast and evening meal. There are 4 al la carte restaurants, which you can use instead of the buffet, which have to be booked daily, as well as all the restaurants in the Sister Hotels - spoilt for choice. The Spa isn't open yet and the Gym is in the main Makadi Mall at an extra cost. We tried all hotel restaurants and found that the food in the Makadi Spa was more to our liking. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The Makadi Spa has a section of 'private beach'. The snorkelling is fantastic, with the best results very close to the shore in shallow water - don't forget your reef shoes, they are needed for swimming or snorkelling. Can't give enough praise to this well run hotel and please don't let the problems in Cairo put you off travelling to this area, Cairo is 600 miles away, the distance between London and Edinburgh. GO AND ENJOY!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are quite due to no children and no loud entertainment
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple