“So so”

Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“So so”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Thought I did enough research before choosing Makadi Spa; the food is very good compared to where we usually stay in Egypt and yes the rooms are wonderful however both myself and my husband have had the dreaded stomach trouble...we have never experienced this before where we usually stay so something is not being prepared here correctly. The pools look wonderful too however you have to be up very early to get a decent quiet spot...most of the pool area seems like you are ontop of each other ( this is even worse on the beach where beds are lined up in regimented rows ...again not giving you much privacy). I had read that reserving beds was not allowed...this seems to have slipped again, no one enforces this so beds are reserved for a lot of the time with no occupants . Staff are ok nothing wonderful and once again compared to where we usually stay well below the standard we have come to expect . Small details are annoying...only white sugar offered with tea and coffee again would expect more from 5*, took three days of asking before we managed to get milk for our tea in the room. No water on fridge when we arrived in evening only fizzy drinks...could not make a tea or coffee as we had no milk or water. So as for our next holiday I think we shall be returning to our usual Miramar/Hyatt in Taba Heights...to be honest it is getting past it's best in the way of rooms..ye old large tv! However it has lots of space , beautiful gardens wonderful staff ; can't wait to get back there!! Just remembered :hotel does not reply to any emails from yourself or from company you book with so should you have any questions or requests you have no idea if anyone has received them ...bad manners!

Room Tip: All junior suites are nice.
8 Thank Karen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Zilina, Slovakia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Spent at this hotel second week of our vacation (after one week in neighbouring Makadi Palace). Generally we were satisfied. Hotel deserves its 5 stars, but it is not a spa hotel.
Negatives:
- Do not expect any wellness/spa facilities at this time. Quite a lot of areas are not yet built or are under maintenance, mainly in the right wing of the hotel. Working activity is rare (maybe in this season), so noise is fortunately exceptional.
- Some electricity problems and blackouts, then also water failures in the bathrooms, drain smell. Waterfalls in the pools are often switched off, water in the pools is quite cold. I do not recommend elevator to the beach area, due to its surprising movements.
- The air-conditioning in the room was too noisy (that is why it cannot be turned on during the night) and not very effective. When we had opened the door to the terrace, mosquitos’ invasion became.
- It takes several minutes to get warm water in the bathroom. Warmer the water, lesser its flow.
- The hotel probably operates since 2011, but some things are yet broken (bedside lamps, pool showers, floor mosaics in the pools, parasols, beach mattresses). Cannot imagine how already used areas will look like, when all the spa facilities will be finally finished.
- The hotel is very quiet during the whole day – no kids (only on the beach which is close to Sunwing hotel beach), no music by the pools, no animation/sport activities, poor evening entertainment. I accept that many people long for such unique atmosphere, but after several days it can seem quite depressing and too reserved.
- Dirty plates, cups and glasses what does not correspond to its rather posh setting. Food labels are often missing. Canned beer by the pools.
- Even forbidden, pool and beach beds are significantly reserved. Some by the early birds, others by staff itself for some “lucrative” guests.
- THE MOST PROBLEMATIC is the hotel’s staff. Cannot be compared to its sister hotel’s Makadi Palace staff. MOST of the staff personnel at this hotel is very unfriendly, arrogant and provides poor service. Ostentatiously expects tips for everything or even nothing. Also quite high tip (5 euro note) does not bring any change in its behavior. It slightly improves only under presence of the operating manager control. Thank a lot for his supervising work and friendly approach!
Positives:
- Food. Asian restaurant which offers fantastic meals is the best. Steakhouse is also very good. Freshly prepared and continuously supplied sushi in the World restaurant. Very good salads (vegetable, fruit), pasta, pancakes, omelets.
- Very nice room (disposition, furniture, bathroom, and terrace) and wonderful sea view.
- Pool and garden areas cleaned every day. Nice pools.
- Beautiful and rich coral reef along the whole Makadi Bay Red Sea Hotels coast – suitable for snorkeling not swimming.

14 Thank 1983Guest
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day holiday to The Makadi Spa and not too sure where to start with my review but here goes.
Upon arrival the hotel looked OK. Check in was relatively quick and painless.
We were taken to our room where the chap that took us there stayed until he got a tip showing us how to turn the ac on or off.Shame it was off when we arrived.Next up was the luggage where the chap also loitered until a tip was handed over. We don't mind tipping but this was more like begging.
It was now 23.30 and thought as we were on an AI deal we would go to the bar for a night cap. We found until you get your bearings you really need a map. All signs in the hotel stuck to the walls laminated A4 paper. Really?? 5 star I think not.
We got to the bar in the lobby eventually and was told even though we were AI we still had to pay at this bar??????
Following morning we woke up and had a look at the view. We had a sea view/pool room. Great view. Room was reasonably clean.
Our first morning at Breakfast.
Bit of a free for all and so badly laid out. Spread out over three rooms and pretty dirty. Luke warm tea. Fruit was OK.
Went to the pool. Very nice. However the tiles in the pool are coming off in their handful especially round the edges and in the shallow end. Quite sore on the feet.The guys at the beach bar were good once tipped.
You have a choice of 3 restaurants for lunch and the pool bar for burgers etc. All OK. You can use sister hotels near by but why should you if at a 5 star AI resort.
Evening meals worth trying the a la carte however unless you make a point of finding a chap in the so called lobby bar to make a reservation at 15.00 you will not get in. Asian was the best.Fish and Steak average.
Now before you say yes but you are in Egypt and you have to allow for the lower standards we have stayed at The Hyatt in Taba and The Four Seasons in Sharm as well as The Ritz Carlton and they all were far superior to this.
The beach bar after 18.00 is £3.00 pp to use plus if you fancy a Shisha an extra £5.00. AI...... I think not.
Check out day arrives and we are getting showered and changed in our room and 45 mins before we are due to leave the room boy is knocking on the door looking for a tip which I already had put aside for him. Outrageous. BEGGING.
All in all a hotel that needs a lot of work doing in it,s PR dept and the pool sorted.
The customer service girls in the lobby were the most helpful by far. Always use them if you need anything done. Forget reception.
The reef and snorkelling were fantastic though but then again this has nothing to do with the hotel.
Good holiday with an average at best hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid anything but sea view rooms
5 Thank BLAKEY10
Gérard H, General Manager at The Makadi Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Mr Blake,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experiences and observations during your stay at our Makadi Spa.

We regret that you have been bothered by our bell-staff for a monetary reward for services rendered to you. Services which are simply their job.

The political turmoil of recent year has seriously affected the progress of our construction plans. I am sure that you appreciate that in this part of the world works take longer before completion. We regret that for this reason the state of the directional signage in the hotel disturbed you. We hope that in the next few month the final signs ordered in Europe will reach us.

We agree that the missing tiles in the pools are an eyesore but on the other hand I am sure you admit that they hardly deprive you of enjoying a good swim. Redoing those tiling includes emptying one of the pools for more weeks, something we have to plan during low season.

Upon arrival all guests receive a welcome letter including hotel-plan and "all-inclusive" program. You would have read that all bars (5) are inclusive bars except Lobby and Main pool bar. During three times of the day however we offer here complimentary drinks and food.

I have been made aware of the missing beach bag upon your departure. I regret that our receptionist did not handle the situation more discreet.

All of us hope that despite our shortcomings during your stay you will give our team another chance to proof that they all value very much our British repeat guests of whom we have many.

With best personal regards,

Gérard Hanssen
Makadi Spa
Red sea Hotels-Hurghada, Egypt
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The best all inclusive hotel I have ever stayed at. One buffe-restaurant and 4 ala carte restaurants at the hotel (2 ala carte is serving lunch). You could also have your dinner and lunch at 5 stars hotel located nearby. The only downside was that the Lobbybar and gym was not included in the all inclusive and that the SPA was not open. Very easy to get a sunbed even after breakfast or later in the day!

Choose a room with sea-view and ask for bathrobe and slippers if you don´t get them at arrival.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea-view!
3 Thank Rebhel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

just returned from a fantastic holiday at the makadi spa , great location on the beach with beatiful views . special thanks to ahmed(front of house manager) we experienced a small problem on our arrival which he dealt with very promptly and professionally. The rooms are very spacious and modern ,. again with beautiful views . The food at the a la carte reseraunts is amazing we look forward to going back there soon . Special mention to Eysam and Khalif at the garden bar their service was second to none

2 Thank MandCarl
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The hotel is nice, clean and well maintained: worth the 4/5 stars. Nonetheless, when it comes down to service and quality of food/drinks, I give a 2/3. Some of my troubles:
- no electricity during one night for several hours and no security light inside of my room (good thing Iphones have a flashlight now days, otherwise I was not able to go to the washroom)
- kids screaming on the beach right behind the Makadi Spa (maybe the beach is shared between different resorts, yet I thought I booked 18+ resort and could have some peace of mind on the beach)
- lack of options in the restaurant menus (more than two times when I asked for a dish on the menu, I've been told they were out, and that is before 8pm).
- If you have allergies, be prepared with some note in arabic because they simply don't understand the problem. I lost weight the first few days because I was not eating (I am anaphylactic).
- serving cold food (when it should be warm)
- ignoring me either at the front desk or in a restaurant at several occasions
- no chairs available on the beach after a certain time in the morning (the pool area is the same problem, people arrive early, put their towels and leave)
I started to tip after a few days of bad service. I wish I did that before! They rolled the red carpet!! But sad to say it, if I select an all-inclusive, is to avoid to carry money on me. This is the first time I have to tip so much in a resort.
Worth to mention: I travelled with Ving, and they were excellent at addressing my concerns and helped me with the allergy note in arabic, and much more. Special thanks to Michaela, Knut and Milad from Ving.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Infinity_76
Gérard H, General Manager at The Makadi Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences during your stay at the Makadi Spa, with us. We sincerely regret that we haven't been able to to address all your expectations. Especially your troubles as an anaphylactic have raised our concern. On the other hand we wish you had informed us in advance like many other "allergy troubled" guests do. We would have gone a long way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

The Makadi Spa is an "adult only" hotel and many guests express their happiness about what we offer. However we are the first to admit that once you leave the Makadi Spa surroundings you will be welcomed by the sound of many children. Even on the Makadi Spa beach it is close to impossible to prevent the noise from our youngsters at the neighbouring hotel.

"Tipping should be an expression of satisfaction and never a condition"! Makadi Spa's management view. We work hard to train and instill this message to our rank & file. For that reason we are glad with your input. "What we preach we try to practice", the reason we recommend our guests to leave tip, if any, in a closed envelope with our guest relation officers. We distribute it fairly between all!

We all sincerely hope that you visit us once more in the not too distant future. Most of our guests are repeat guests. Something what makes us very proud.

With best personal regards,

Gérard Hanssen
Makadi Spa
Red sea Hotels-Hurghada, Egypt
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was my first time to Egypt and what an experience I had being in such a beautiful and tranquil place like makadi spa. Staff was excellent I would like to say a big thank you to my 2 best friends in the buffet breakfast area terrace and Mohammed at the infinity pool.
Good place to be when you need time out from work I wish I had booked a longer stay
Overall a great holiday, accomodation excellent variety of food and quality brilliant
Look out for me I'll be coming back
Thank you for such a wonderful experience
From the girls and mum in South East London

Room Tip: Stayed in the junior suite, great space a well laid out space for sharing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends