“An ok trip”

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Bratislava, Slovakia
“An ok trip”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It has been somewhat amusing reading some of the comments below as several of the complaints listed can be found on relevant travel sites about experience Egypt (inc. but not limited to power outages, Egypt men looking at western women etc.) and should not be something new for people doing some basic research up front. Having said that I’ll need to agree with several of the comments made by the previous posters; esp. regarding the food.

Plus points
+ Good and nice cleaning staff
+ Nice pools and plenty of sun chairs for those never wanting to leave
+ Free bottled water from all bars

Negative points
- Food is bland and of questionable quality
- Reception is hit and miss
- No possibility to exchange money outside of HSBC
- General rip off prices on everything and anything on site (not hotel specific I’d guess)
- The hawkers on site are as bad as anything you’ll find in Hurghada (and that’s saying something as they make Thai tourist street hawks something I’d look forward to by comparison)
- If you want anything but a “lie at pool and roast” vacation this is not for you

Now down to details, I stayed with my wife last week of July (first time in Egypt, been to other locations such as Thailand (four times), US (three times), Greece (three times), Spain (five times) etc. previously) for 8 days. Check in was not the smoothest experience but I've had far worse, we got our keys and had someone carrying up our luggage with in 15 min. Would have been nice to have been greeted by the promised cold drinks but we'll survive.

The room was hot as the power is only turned on once you put the card in the power slot (as standard on most hotels, tip here for travelers, a visit card, visa card, mileage card etc. works just as well if you want to leave it running when you're gone). The A/C is strong enough to cool down the room quickly though so leaving it on for 10 min and the room will be cool (and I'd recommend running it around 26/28 on low fan during the night if you don't want to catch a cold). Sadly this does not extend to the toilet/shower for some reason which remains hot throughout the whole day and night.

Talking about the shower, forget cold water, at best you'll get slightly warm water on the coldest setting with quite poor power. The water is also tied in with the electricity (which can be a tad dodgy as it is Egypt but nothing as bad as Cairo, worst we had was power cuts on and off for half a day). No power, no water. The shower was tiled but the drain did not work very well (flooding) but they fixed the drain promptly when pointed out as being an issue (props to the cleaners for that; in fact the cleaners were excellent throughout the whole stay and made an excellent job throughout so big shout out to them). There was also some minor tile coverage missing etc. but no fungus or anything growing (only showing it has been around for a couple of years).

Breakfast is the same yes but with 4+ different yogurts, fresh omelets (ask the chefs), 5+ variations breads, countless different spreads/hams etc., pancakes, croissants and other sweet bakeries, fresh fruits and what not I’m not sure what people expect to see honestly in a all inclusive hotel. Did it get boring over time? Of course but any buffet that don’t change would be.

We only had lunch three times and it does change over time; once again there’s a wide selection (even if some items are staples such as fried potatoes with different spicing) to choose from. Most people should not have a problem finding something they can eat. At lunch and dinner there’s also a wide selection of cakes, cookies and desserts (though the majority of it is sadly tasteless power based stuff) for those with a sweet tooth. There’s also a fresh salad selection or pre mixed salads. Only a word of caution here but the signs don’t always match what’s actually in there as I learned. I’d guess one sign per meal was simply wrong (tomatoes with mozzarella was lasagna) and the description is dodgy (never saw real mozzarella in anything but mentioned often but it was definitely NOT mozzarella). In many ways it’s like a school canteen which is to be expected with the number of people involved but this also tends to leave the food bland and tasteless. Every night is a “theme” night; from experience it appears to only change one or two dishes for the “theme” and which table cloth is used.

Talking about dinner lets also talk about the service delivered during dinner. It’s amusing that after an international managers are flown in (suddenly there were white people in most staff locations commenting to the local staff) that we’re asked if there are any problems of who to speak to. As it was our last night we simply ignored it but the fact is the service is very inconsistent. One night you’ll have constant refills, plates removed and what not, the next night you can’t get a new fork after they took away your final one to save your life. Did not appear to matter if you tipped the staff or not, they simply did not care.

Both I and my wife did catch stomach bugs while eating there but with appropriate medication we both overcame them relatively quickly. If you don’t know what to get I’d recommend coal pills and some stomach settling mix (to fix the stomach bugs which is by far the most common reason for issues). Both can be get prescription free over the counter in any decent pharmacy.

What else? Well in general things ran smoothly excluding the restaurants, the cleaning staff was brilliant. Reception felt a bit hit and miss, sometimes things went very smoothly, other times you had to wait (15 min to get someone to check if we had used the minibar when checking out for example). Also be aware you can’t change money at the hotel but has to use the HSBC branch at the end of a very annoying sales street with the usual hawkers (and their annoying attempts to start conversations to pull you in, I strongly recommend you say you’re from South Africa if asked as that appears to shut them up) which holds very poor opening hours (esp. during Ramadan) and no notice about it anywhere in the hotel documentation. As in any major tourist resort you’re treated as someone to be hanged up and shaken down for money by anyone and everyone local.

Oh and before I forget I have to mention the beach. Well, the correct answer would be what beach to be honest as for me a beach consists of water AND something next to it that’s a beach (but here you only get one of two). The “beach” is about a kilometer away from the resort which is ok, I can walk that but once you reach the water and you think you’re done you have to walk the same distance again to the side to get to the hotel beach. The beach is nice; the water it goes down to is not. It is basically made up of rocks without sand and 30m out you got three “coral reefs” or so they are called. In essence they are just rock formations stick out of the water which may one day grow into something that you’re not allowed to get close. This means you’re even further closed in and can’t swim, dive or do anything of note at the water. If you want a real beach you need to get a boat/bus trip somewhere else.

I did briefly mention Hurghada in the introduction and I think it’s worth noting the “shuttle” traffic offered there. The shuttle is NOT done by the hotel but local enterprise, it’s cramped and will cost you 6 EUR per person single way. It will drop you off at a small parking close to an intersection and pick you up 3 hours later. No maps, no directions and you’re free to go. Expect taxis to wait for you there wanting to take you to see materials (don’t bother; it’s a waste of time that you have to pay for!). I strongly recommend simply skipping Hurghada or taking your own taxi in there instead but you’re unlikely to find much beyond the usual hawkers and crap being sold. You’re honestly better off buying it at the airport instead (once you’re through the second control and walked through the duty free store you’ll find a huge selection of the same stores but with better prices all accepting USD, EUR or EGP).

Hence over all I'll rate it as Average (3/5), it's not five star by Western standards (they never are) but by Egyptian standards I'm sure it is. Oh and I'll not bother to mention about the 10pm football games put on by the locals at the football field with local teams only; thankfully I could sleep through their late games). Will I come back? No not really. It's a golden cage, all of Hurghada is (and I don't blame the hotel for this) and it simply don't interest me; esp. when all local merchants try to rip you off (lets not even get started on the "spa" treatments costing 80 EUR per hour for a massage with oil).

On a separate note, not related to the hotel, the diving experience is great there but be VERY careful to not get a native trainer. My wife had one and beyond deciding to cut the training short to take an afternoon off (two days in the pool ended up being one day in practice) also had some very poor training skills. Hence I strongly recommend asking for an international trainer if you decide you want to go diving.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jonas W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Ok so despite travelling abroad for the past 32 years (at least once a year to places as far reaching as GOA and Thailand) here is my first ever review. Why now ? Well I have always held reviews on here with high regard... following this last holiday I want am not so sure. Just returned from our holiday that you all seemed to rave about and have promised my children (boys aged 16 and 14) that I would put the record straight!

This hotel appealed to us because of the high rating it was given on here and in the brochure. It is supposed to be on the Beach and have a water park with shuttle bus services from the hotel. It s write up talks about restaurants and choice of food and drink being available almost on tap. The reality is that to get to the beach you need to take a very long hot walk. Yes there are shaded walkways that are near to shops with vendors keen to hassle you as you endure the 15 minute hike (min). I always book all Inclusive ....this is the first all inclusive holiday where we have all lost weight due to stomach upsets and lack of recognizable food to eat. The resort is full of Russian and German people and the food caters for their tastes. I am not a big drinker but felt very frustrated about the restrictive measures given and how difficult it was to get more than one small glass of warm wine with your evening meal. The staff are very nice but I did feel very patronized by them and saw them treating British people very different from other Europeans. The water park is a long way from the hotel and the bus is a public one that runs up and down the resort packed with other tourists.

I have apologised to my family for putting them through the experience that was this holiday. just feel now that all reviews I have read about this hotel prior to booking and going MUST have been fictitious! My family and I have been at home for 48 hours now and we all still feel very ill. I hope that by writing this I will prevent someone from being mislead as I feel I was.

Room Tip: Everywhere very quite because they are all ill
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Michelle L
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Sir, We thank you for your recent stay with us and we regret that you did not enjoy it as you and your family were hoping. To address the comments mentioned in your review, kindly be informed that we never advertised our resort as a beach front located may be you can double check with your booking agent, also having 13 different outlets serving food & beverage around the clock should give the required variety as the hotel cater for international clientele.
As for the aqua park we have shuttle bus service each 10-15 minutes in front of the resort.
Although we see that the title of your review is a little bit harsh, but we truly feel sorry that you did not have a good time in Egypt.
Once again thank you & best regards,
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel was fantastic. It was beautiful and very scenic. The best part was the staff, they could not do enough to ensure that you we were having a great time and always trying to ensure that we had no problems and were pleased with the overall service experience. The food was very good, a huge variety that catered for all types of taste and again the service here was great. I mainly went to the Sunflower restaurant on a daily basis and always felt that the staff were warm and welcoming which made we want to go back every day. Credit to the manager, Rabea. On my birthday I was overwhelmed, I had not told any of the staff that it was my birthday and was touched when the Room Cleaner Saied left me a huge birthday cake made of towels and flowers and also a certificate wishing me a great birthday, when I then went for dinner that evening at the Sunflower, the manager (Rabea) had arranged a birthday cake and about 10 of his staff came out and sang me happy birthday, really touched my heart and made me feel important, especially because I was not expecting it, never had service like this before a real credit to the overall hotel. Oh yes, I also mentioned to the Head Chef (Salaman) that I loved stuffed Vine Leaves at home and low and behold the next day they ordered these from Cairo and made the especially for me. I would like to thank the following people for providing me and my family with a great experience and one of the best vacations of my life so far....Salaman (The Sunflower Restaurant Head Chef), Sadam (The Sunflower Restaurant Chef), Ezka, Ali and Ahmed (The Sunflower Waiters) and a special thanks to Rabea (The Sunflower Restaurant Manager) and Saied (Room Cleaner). I look forward to returning to see them again next year. I would highly recommend anyone to go here as you will have a great experience and a vacation that you will never forget. The people definitely make the holiday and the hotel.

Perfect Location for relaxing!

Loads to do if you are looking to relax and keep the kids happy, me and my family spent most of our time at the pool side, eating, sunbathing, relaxing and swimming. The rest of the time we spent in the Gold’s Spa opposite the hotel getting pampered through massages, saunas, Jacuzzis and steam rooms. The massages were out of this world, I would like to thank Madaya (the sales rep) who was great and a really lovely person as well as Mohammed (the Massager) and Azza (in the changing rooms) who helped look after our daughter whilst me and my partner got pampered. Again these people were great they made sure we had a good time, relaxed and did not worry about the little one. They are credit to the Spa and I again look forward to returning to meet them again, I must single out Mayada who was a lovely lady that really understood what a vacation is really about.

I would recommend anyone to go here, a great experience and I look forward to returning. The people/staff made the holiday

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the swimming pools is a must!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank SameerKhazanchi
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Guests,

thank you for choosing The Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort to spend your holiday. My team and I would also like to thank you for your valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.

As a result of our efforts, we have achieved the following award TripAdvisor best family resort. This recognition directly influences our commitment to further improvements in 2012.

Thank you, once again, for your visit to our hotel, and for your feedback.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

we have just got back from two weeks in the saraya.The hotel itself is lovely and when we arrived we got upgraded free of charge from two rooms to the royal suite which was amazing,and put my mind at ease having my two children in the same room as us.the room was cleaned daily and had a different towel art on the bed each day.the animation team were amazing,especially alex who seemed to genuinely care about the safety of my children at the foam party.the entertainment really lets this hotel down.Its fine for youngsters but teenagers have absolutely nothing to do at night.mine were lucky as they met kids their own age which kept them happy or i think we would have had two very bored teenagers for the whole fortnight! Tito,alex,suzy, caroline,and the others (ive forgot the names) work so hard and are always smiling even in that intense heat! Another thing that lets the night time down is the time you have to wait for drinks! you go to the bar and order your drinks and most of the time they tell you to sit down and they will bring them to you but a few times we had to go back up after 20 mins to see where they were! not a good thing when you are sweating to death and need a drink! the lobby bar is where we ended up most of the time because it was cool in there and ashraf was so friendly but even he was run off his feet with orders! I think they need to employ more bar staff for a hotel of this size or people will get stroppy as we did witness on a couple of occasions.now for the food,this hotel is definately catering for the germans and russians and wasnt very nice at all.to be fair though the chef did tell us if we didnt like anything on offer he would cook us what we wanted if it was possible,hence us all practically living on chicken and chips the whole holiday! I happened to get deli belly for the whole of the second week which really put me off as i have been abroad for the last 18 years and never been ill on any other holiday.It turned out quite a few people went down with it and one couple ended up on a drip! I read the reviews before we went and was aware of the toilets in the airport and believe me the review was very accurate,they were disgusting! there was s**t on the floor,the walls and everywhere! If you didnt have the bug when you were going home im sure you will get it in the toilets! All in all though it was a good holiday and the staff couldnt do enough for you so i wouldnt be put off going back,i just had a bad experience but nothing the hotel could have prevented,i think it was a combination of the heat and maybe eating something that didnt agree with me.we met a few very good friends and i think it helps that the english are the minority as we all seem to unite as one against the ignorant and arrogant germans and russians!

Room Tip: we were in room 9210 and this overlooked the pool and was well away from all the noise so if you don...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank stairydeb
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

Worst holiday ever spent half the holiday in bed with severe vomiting and diahrrea . Had to have dr who put me and wife on iv drip. Still not good been off work two days .Not suitable for british family. Food not worth eating. Take your own or go elsewhere ? Trips not very organized shame really.

Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Phillip B
Dear Sir, Thank you for your review.
Kindly be informed that the reasons behind stomachache are various, i.e. eating oily food, too much to drink in this hot weather, swimming pool water, cross contamination with other guests with personal hygiene issues, even climate change from one continent to another could easily cause such a syndrome.
As for the food offer we believe that 13 outlets serving food & beverage around the clock for the international clientele taste should do be satisfactory for all, nevertheless we started developing some menus that cater for the British taste.
We wish you a quick recovery and best regards
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The hotel is located in beautiful surroundings, with lots of awesome plants, which gives a feeling of a large space (ca. 30 km away from Hurghada). You cannot get bored in Madinat Makadi, even though it is a closed area. It is a place rather for persons wishing to get some rest (it is not for you if you are keen on parties). Most guests are from Germany – it is a flagship TUI hotel, but also from the Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.
The way to the beach takes about 10 minutes through other hotels, but it is not problematic at all. The whole hotel complex provides an opportunity for shopping, but it is also possible to go to Hurghada (hotel mini-bus costs ca. 9 USD). On the beach there is also a local travel office Tiger Marine organising e.g. a trip to Giftun (highly recommended!). There is also a diving centre (run by the Germans) and a windsurfing centre. The beach itself is great – a sandy one with nice entrance to the sea (however, you may see some reef at the shore). The house reef is great, just a dozen metres away from the shore.
The personnel is very kind and makes you feel unique. Everyone does their best to provide guests with great experience in the hotel: from people at the reception desk, waiters in bars and restaurants to the Guest Relations team (who you may turn to in case of any problems – we have checked it and complaints are indeed solved quickly). All the hotel facilities are very clean, everything is tidied up thoroughly. You may also go to the doctor’s there (24h) if need be and buy some medicines from the pharmacy + use spa (for a fee).
2 main restaurants, a few a la carte ones (additionally paid), 4 bars in the hotel and 1 on the beach. For us, food was incredible, we could not make it to taste everything, although we heard some complaints that it was monotonous. However, for 2 weeks you may always find something new, the more so that every day you are served with e.g. Mediterranean, Egyptian food, etc. During a dinner a dress code is a must.
There are various animations at the pool and on the beach organised by nice people. An interesting fact is that every Monday there is a Makadi Olympic Day, i.e. sports competitions organised for guests from various hotels to compete with each other with a party in the evening. Moreover, you will always find free sunbeds both on the beach and at pools, even though it was high season where we were there. Next to the hotel there is a new aqua park which can be accessed by hotel mini vans (for free).
Initially, we received a standard room, however, it was noisy due to air conditioners outside the restaurant, so we asked to change it for the quieter one. And… we received a junior suite with garden view without any problems. The room was very spacious, consisting of 2 parts: a bedroom and a living room including a kitchenette (a kettle, a fridge + a mini-bar provided for a fee) and a large bathroom and a terrace. It was all very clean.
To sum up, I would highly recommend a stay in this hotel to everyone looking for a place to rest. Services provided there are at a really high level.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a junior suite :)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Marta B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Clean hotel, way too many Germans and children! 90% German young familys 5% eastern European and 5% British.

A little like butlins with hot weather.

Staff very assertive, food really really bad. Expect stomach cramps and the squits! Take some pot noodles?! Or eat beef goulase and sausage and bread everyday!

Beach ok but very full, we watched Germans reserve sunbeds at the pool and beach then disappear to the waterpark for most of the day!

Very loud rooms near the evening entertainment, 7pm till 11pm we had to move rooms.

4 places to drink of an evening which is nice, only two buffets to eat at.

Best bit, nice big room, plenty to drink and awesome water park (water park 5mins by bus and free to ai guests)

We paid 560 each for a week and feel that was about right considering the food was so bad.

• Stayed July 2012
Jaz Aquamarine
#34 of 222 in Hurghada
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,577 reviews
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Makadi Bay

Been to Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort? Share your experiences!