“Nearly Perfect”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nearly Perfect”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks over Easter 2013 and hard to see how holiday could have been better. Some fantastic friendly staff. The bar man (at the lively pool bar) called mohammed was a legend. Does a trick with a glass as he's serving you, pretends to drop it, got me every time, a true gent. The kids loved him and called him Mo Mo (even the 14 year old) and he knew them all by name. Ice cream for the kids most of the day went down very well. The waiters round the pool were great as well, could hardly keep up with the drinks they were bringing!

One of the waiters (Sheba) in the smaller onsite restaurant adopted us and as soon as he saw us enter for breakfast, lunch or evening meal welcomed us, ushered us to a table and was pouring coffee and tea as soon as cups were near empty, great guy (and what a hard worker like most of the staff)

We met the cleaner for our room 1st day (another Monhammed) when we hit a dead end he showed us how to get to where we were heading. He did the most fantastic towel art, really creative and was wonderfully friendly and attentive

The animation team were good too, plenty of football, darts and table tennis, they really tried to get everyone involved and also the people on the front desk, very helpful

In the on site buffet restaurant the choice of food is very good. The pasta chef's will cook something up to your taste (spicey for me) and it is some of the best pasta I've had for years, better than most restaurants in England easy. The egg chef cooks great omlettes to your taste as well at breakfast

The thing with the Egyptian staff is treat them with some respect and they bend over backwards to make your stay special. It's a shame some guests think the staff are there to be barked at

The room was great, junior suite for 5, but we were only there to sleep

Grounds were very well maintained, pools lovely, there is a lively and quiet pool and one for small children and you get free access to the local water park which is great, hundreds of slides, kids loved it (range from 7 to 14) and so did I

As well as 2 on site buffet restaurants (very nice) and a casual a la carte pool restaurant for lunch there are 3 a la carte restaurants (all included in all inclusive for Thomas Cook travellers). My favourite was the Egyptian/ Oriental Restaurant. The Chinese and Italian were fine but (in my opinion) no better than the buffet restaurants

We went on a boat trip and the snorkelling is fantastic, incredible diversity of fish and marine life. There is a small coral reef just off the local beach which also has good marine life and is very accessible. Took a bana boat ride off the beac as well, very nice

All in all, very difficult to fault. Freshly squeed Orange Juice at breakfast would be my only tip for improvement along with boosting the wi fi point - but definitely 5 out of 5.

We will be back

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Guests,

My team and I would like to thank you for your critical and motivating comments received in TripAdvisor which had a great positive influence for us to work harder and to continuously improve the service we are offering to you.

We are very pleased that you had spent a nice and relaxing holiday in the Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.
It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel, especially to the bar man Mohamed at the pool bar and the waiting staff at the pool bar, to the waiter Sheba, to the room cleaner Mohamed and to the animation team.

Our efforts have resulted in being awarded by TUI Umwelt Champion 2010, 2011, TUI Eco Resort 2009-2010-2011, Hygiene Silver Award, ISO-14001-Awards for 2009 till 2012, Holiday Check Award 2006-2010, Green Star Hotel Award and Tripadvisor Best Family Resort. We understand this recognition as a commitment to further improve our services in 2013.

Thank you, once again, for your visit to our hotel, and for your feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon in your Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.

Klaus Reinwand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I travelled here with my 13 year old daughter for a relaxing week in the sun, and thats exactly what we got.
The hotel is lovely, immaculate grounds, very spacious rooms and most importantly great service from every single member of staff.
The rooms are cleaned everyday to a very high standard and every day you get a lovely new towel art design left for you - a nice touch that made my daughter very happy.
The pool areas are spotless, plenty of sunloungers and towels are provided also. There are 2 pool areas - one lively and where the animation team entertain, the other is a quieter area and labelled the relaxation zone. We based ourselves in the lively section because there is a heated pool there. Even though it is labelled the lively area, it was still very relaxing because the animation team were not in your face the whole time. A nice touch around the pool is the waiter who comes round to bring you drinks - great service!
The food is served buffet style, and was great - only a minor comment, it would have been nice if the labelling was clearer. We are vegetarian and although there were bean casseroles, lentil stews etc we werent sure if they were vegetarian so couldnt try them. The staff were always very helpful when approached but it would have been nice if we could have just chosen without having to get help every time. In the end we mostly ate salads which were fresh, plentiful and lovely. The waiting staff in both buffet resturants were excellent - very genuine and it was refreshing that they werent just doing it for tips. There are tip boxes placed around the hotel, but at no time did we feel obligated or pressed into tipping.

We spent most evenings in the lobby bar, which is near reception. Beautiful colonial style decor and a very relaxing place to hang out. A special mention to the three guys that serve in there - they were brilliant (and I am sorry that I cant remember their names), they made my daughter very happy with their amazing mocktails and supplies of crisps!!

We highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear Guests,

It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel, especially to the room cleaning service, to our chefs, to the waiting staff of the restaurants and to the colleagues working in the lobby bar.

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

I have just returned home from a week here. I couldn't fault this hotel. Very clean, very friendly staff, amazing food - expecially the Italian and Asian.

Me and my partner tended to stay at the 'relaxing' pool, the bar tenders come to your sunbed to serve you which I loved!

We will defiantly be returning here!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guests,

My team and I would like to thank you for your motivating comments received in TripAdvisor which had a great positive influence for us to work harder and to continuously improve the service we are offering to you.

We are very pleased that you had spent a nice and relaxing holiday in the
Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.
It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

I have stayed for one night at this resort for business trip, the oom was nice, well cleaned and maintained, food was nice with a lot of varaities, the show was really nice specially the kids show, I believe it is a nice black for families ith kid, room was equipped with a stove, electrical kettle, a small kitchenette, which allows families with Kidd to cook inside, one thing I do not like which is there is no packages allowed but all inclusive, I appreciate if the management could add a BB or HB packages

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Guests,

We are very pleased that you had spent a nice time in the Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.

It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel.
Please be sure, that the issues concerning the meal plans will be discussed within the management.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Overall the hotel and swimming pools were very nice and kept clean and tidy - with surrounding beautifully kept gardens. Some of the staff were very friendly and always happy to help if needed. Hotel room was very large and had plenty of space for 5 of us, the double balcony was a bonus, plenty of room to relax and put belongings out of the way. Unfortunately the shower was cold, there was a hair dryer but we had no need for a hair dryer in a hot windy country - No iron or ironing board, an iron would have been very much appreciated. There was a lot of choice of drinks in our mini fridge and a few snacks, they were replaced often but not every day, also the coffee and creamer was not replaced all week :( but we were impressed with the towel art that appeared every day when the room was cleaned :)
I was a bit put off by the hasslement from shop keepers in the shops on the resort, and there were no prices on any of the items - not even in the pharmacy!
The music by the hotel pools was a little too loud at times - lots of boom boom noises and noisy aerobics classes going on mid afternoon when it was 30 degrees +
However, if my young children were making too much noise by the pool (one occasion only) then they were told to shush by the staff! followed by dirty looks from rude foreigners :0
The Sunny club could have been managed better - (the small park on site) the gate was constantly left open enabling young children to possibly wander off so unfortunately I could not relax properly on this holiday. Their signing in and out system does not work either.
The all inclusive food in the food courts was satisfactory, food was always presented very well and a lot of choice available, however I was not able to stomach it for more than 5 days. It was worth looking at the nearby restaurants where the food was slightly better quality. If you want a balloon to entertain your children for a short while then they are made out of the chefs latex gloves by the way. Not sure what is going on with that.
The water splash park was a lot of fun and kept my children entertained for hours, again very clean and tidy. The transport to the water park could be improved, the driver of the small mini bus did not have much consideration for pushchairs and peoples bags and just crammed in as much as possible before slamming the door on already squashed passengers.
I would maybe recommend this hotel for a couple or a family with older children if hot sun in spring time is their wish, but this is not for little ones I don't think.

1 Thank ghjfgs f
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your recent stay with us and we regret that you did not enjoy it as you and your family were hoping.

My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback.
We are extremely committed to deliver the perfect holiday experience for each and every guest.

I do apologize that we didn't accomplish this for you and we welcome any suggestions for improving and developing our service.
To address the comments mentioned in your review we would like to clarify the following points:

Concerning the shortfalls that you have experienced during your stay with us (cold water, minibar refilling, open kids club gate), we would like to apologize for the inconveniences. Please be sure that these issues have been discussed with the managers of the departments in order to avoid such cases in the future.

Concerning additional amenities (iron, iron board, etc.), these are immediately brought into the room upon the guest request.

The shop sellers issue is not related directly to the hotel as they are "a third party concessionaires".
We do have a policy in place which is distributed to all guests' rooms that in case of being annoyed by shop sellers, all the guests have to do is to submit a written complaint with shop number and the hotel management takes care of the rest.
We certainly hope that this unpleasant experience with the shop sellers will not be an obstacle for you to enjoy your vacation once more with the Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.
The prices on the products in all the shops are set by the shop keepers themselves, which is traditional for Egypt, as there are a lot of private shops all over the country.

Concerning the pools, kindly be informed that we have an activity pool where the animation team entertains the guests during the day and plays their music. On the other hand we provide the guests with a relaxing zone, which you can find close to the Ganzabil bar and to the kids club. There you will see no animators, no music is played and loud noises are avoided.

Concerning the transportation to the water park, we have already contacted the management of the Makadi Water World, who assured us that bigger busses would be out into their plans which will make the transportation more comfortable.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Without doubt the friendliest and most helpful hotel team I have ever encountered. I highly recommend this hotel and all the staff.

We travelled as a family of 5, including two teenage boys and 9yr old girl and due to severe flight delays did not arrive at the hotel until midnight. We were immediately led into the lobby bar where we were invited to sit while Badr and his front desk team provided drinks and handled the registration for us. No queueing here! I asked if we could get something to eat only to be told that food and drinks had already been arranged and was waiting for us in our rooms. After a long day of travelling, I can not imagine a more thoughtful and considerate welcome. Thanks Badr.

Moustafa and Badr at the front desk were outstanding. We felt as if we were honoured guests in their home, Every day they would walk around the hotel and beach, checking everyone was happy, and doing what ever they could make sure we were having a fantastic day. It is largely thanks to Moustafa and Badr that our stay at the Saraya was so outstanding.

The restaurant staff were all so friendly. My sons play football, and I asked Ali, one of the lovely waiters where I could buy a football. The next day, as soon as he saw us, he ran out of the restaurant and returned with a brand new football, "A present!" he said, and gave it to us! All of the restaurant staff were amazing, and never stopped laughing - the happy birthday songs and drums are particularly memorable!

My daughter fell in love with the animation team, especially the team leader, Shady. The whole team were brilliant, and I have to give a special mention to Shady and Joe, who kept my children busy for hours! Even when their shift had finished in the evening they stayed around and entertained the children and my daughter would not let us leave until we had photos of every single one.

The room service was also outstanding, and the towel decorations have to be seen to be believed. On my wife's birthday Mahmood, (who serviced our room) built a birthday cake 3 feet tall out of towels and flowers, and the bed was covered in petals. And he even bought my wife a present to take home.

Great food, beautiful weather, snorkeling in the Red Sea and a hotel team like no other.

2 Thank Justinx2000
Dear Guests,

It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel, especially to Badr and Moustafa at the front desk, to Ali working in the restaurant and his colleagues, to the room boy Mahmood and to the animation team, especially Shady and Joe.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Had two weeks at this beautiful resort.The staff can not do enough for you they are really friendly and helpful.The hotel is very clean.We stayed in a junior suite which was lovely over looking the pool.The food was good especially the Alcart restaurant are worth a visit.The weather was nice this time of year around 35 everyday. The hotel resorts are very safe so no need to worry.The Thomson rep was very helpful when choosing trips I would recommend the extreme dessert experience it was great fun for kids and adults.the yellow submarine is a good experience to.Thankyou to everyone at the hotel for making our stay such a pleasure

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one over looking the pool