“Hotel for relax”

Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
“Hotel for relax”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from this hotel. If you wont relax, it is your choice - two pools, very good beach with little but beautiful reef, friendly athmospher, good food. I was in several islands and had great snorkeling. Don' miss it.:) So I think, it's good hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Yuriysl
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guests,

My team and I would like to thank you for your critical and motivating comments received in TripAdvisor which had a great positive influence for us to work harder and to continuously improve the service we are offering to you.

We are very pleased that you had spent a nice and relaxing holiday in the Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.
It is our pleasure to forward your kind words to the entire team of our hotel.

Our efforts have resulted in being awarded by TUI Umwelt Champion 2010, 2011, TUI Eco Resort 2009-2010-2011, Hygiene Silver Award, ISO-14001-Awards for 2009 till 2012, HolidayCheck Award 2006-2010, Green Star Hotel Award, Tripadvisor Best Family Resort, TripAdvisor Travelers‘ Choice Award 2014 and recently the HolidayCheck Award 2014. We understand this recognition as a commitment to further improve our services in 2014.

Thank you, once again, for your visit to our hotel, and for your feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon in your Iberotel Makadi Saraya Resort.

Klaus Reinwand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Firstly just a bit about Thomson - There is NO in-flight entertainment on both the inbound and outbound flights. So take an iPad/DVD player/laptop to keep you entertained – thankfully we knew and we did! Passport and Visas - You must have 6 months left on your passport to enter Egypt. This was picked up by the airline staff at Gatwick (this could have been avoided if Thomson staff contacted me before departure as they had my API details 6 months previously!) and after some calls, thankfully, I was able to travel. The same happened to another passenger on the same flight so I imagine this happens a lot. Also you need an entry visa on arrival into Hurghada. Beware! There are ‘sharks’ vying for your business as soon as you walk through the door (why you don’t pay your money to the officials at passport control is beyond me!) BUT they are all charging different prices. We went straight with the ‘sharks’ pretending to be Thomson (as we didn’t really understand the procedure as it was our first visit to Hurghada and we had read on the consulate website that a visa was not required – now we know this is only for Sharm El Sheik) and were charged £19 each when the ‘company’ on the left as you enter the terminal building were charging only £15 (the actual price). Talk about feeling ripped off before the holiday even started!
On to the hotel
After a few teething troubles with our room, which I have to say were sorted out no problem at all, we had a great week! Our only gripes were the buffet restaurants and the quiet pool.
In our opinion, the buffet restaurants are poor and in particular the breakfast restaurant which is in need of refurbishment of the outside seating area as it is very shabby. The food is catered towards the German and Russians. I had hoped to eat lots of fresh fruit and salad but it was presented in such an unappealing way that I didn’t bother. We mainly stuck to the pastries and toast. This was not a problem in the evenings however, as we ate in the a la carte restaurants all week – which are free to Thomson/First Choice customers (Russians and Germans are not allowed!) and you can eat there as many times as you like. It was just a shame they were so empty as they lacked atmosphere at times. They are also situated right next to the kids evening disco so the music in the Grill and the Asian restaurants had to compete with the disco which was quite annoying if you were sat outside. The pool bar is the best bet for lunch if you are English – amazing chicken schnitzel sandwiches!
Finally, our last gripe was the relaxation pool. Far from it, at times. Unfortunately, lots of families are put in the rooms overlooking this pool and by nature then stay by this pool. The management do all they can to keep it quiet but often people just revert to being noisy! My partner jumped in the pool once and got told off but yet later in the holiday several children were jumping in and splashing for hours on end and nothing was said. There is ample room for kids to play in the main pool. It seemed that the children were unsupervised with their parents choosing to stay in their rooms/on their patios nearby. I think it needs to be signposted ‘no children’ or not bother. However, by travelling out of season there was no silly rush in the morning to save sun loungers. We got up when we wanted and had the choice of any sun lounger!
We went to the Aquapark which, for Thomson/First Choice customers is included in the package. Shuttle buses run every 30 minutes and takes only 10 minutes. The park was almost empty so there was no queueing (I’m not sure if this would be the case in high season). You can eat for free there and take the towels from the hotel poolside BUT there are no lockers.
Overall, I have never been welcomed so warmly anywhere else and it has to be said the staff at the Saraya are so very friendly and attentive and cannot do enough for you. If you have a problem just tell them and they will do what they can to fix it. Anastasia was fantastic in sorting out any issues we had and we are very grateful to her.
Despite the above couple of issues we had a wonderful week and would probably return again.

Room Tip: 9602 two bedroom suite near main pool, reception, a la carte restaurants and souk
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsKB2014

Bolton, Lancs
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Whole family for this our third visit - 2 grandparents, 2 parents, 2 children and 1 teenager. Service everywhere was very good, Food at all the restaurants was excellent. Went to the water park for the first fime - the children loved it! Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tonyjbolton

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Spent my first day at a frds hotel, but hated the food. My wife n kids were starving cause they couldn't eat anything. So we decided to move to iberotel, and the vacation started. Amazing food, staff, pool, etc. I will come every time I want to visit hurghada.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheriff65

yorkshire
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel and rooms are very clean, staff are all friendly and go out of their way to help. Arrived on Saturday and by Wednesday 60% of our party came down with a stomach bug. Some more severe than others. Spent a majority of the holiday eating plain food and not taking much advantage of the all inclusive. Managers initially did not want to know and where adamant that the stomach bug was due to hot weather and not being used to the food. We where advised to not eat anything that had been grown and watered locally (ie in Egypt)????? Breakfasts mainly consisted of bread (which was freshly baked so quite nice but not on such a regular basis). It was not until we had problems with the air con that the manager upped his game and decided to arrange for a Dr to come and see my husband who had been in agony for two days. As soon as the aircon unit came off a large accumulation of dirt fell out! (Pictures available). We where informed that this was a one off and the unit had been missed. I am still not sure what caused the bug and most of the party ended up on antibiotics for the rest of the two week stay and came home with it for a further two to three weeks. We soldiered on throughout our two week stay but my youngest son suffered with very bad stomach cramps. The hotel Dr prescribed antibiotics for most of the party who where really suffering but didn't personally check everyone. On the whole most of us had at least 3 to 4 days decent holiday out if the 14. Beach was a treck from the hotel which was disappointing as we then had to locate the part that was allocated to the hotel. Would I go again? No I would not. Would I recommend this hotel to others? Probably but with a warning to check the aircon and only if you fancy a detox.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nimdibs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Staff are friendly. Pool is clean. Rooms are spotless. Food and drink are plentiful and delicious.
Would recommend this hotel to all my friends.
Thank you for a fantastic holiday and making my family of 7 feel very welcome.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 2468frogetmeknot
Reinwand, General Manager at Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guests,

My team and I would like to thank you for your motivating comments received in TripAdvisor which had a great positive influence for us to work harder and to continuously improve the service we are offering to you.

Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have just read a previous review of the hotel and I am sure that they are talking about the wrong hotel. This was our 4th stay at this hotel and we arrived home yesterday and we are already looking at booking again next year. We enjoyed it so much that we have booked for our son and his girlfriend to visit on June 6th. We told the reception that he is coming and already they have ensured he will be looked after as are we every visit.

Yes there are lots of Germans and Russians there but if we wanted to see loads of British people we would go to Sharm or Magaluf. This is about us enjoying our time to relax and we managed to speak to various nationalities and found that there is no language barrier especially between the children.

Anyway, where do I start to share my feelings about this hotel.....

Food - There is plenty of varied food, maybe not always to everyone's liking but there are various restaurants around the site that will cater for everyone's needs. We enjoyed the A La Carte restaurants, especially Sofra which was by far the best. We even tried booking one night when it was full and when speaking to the Executive chef he said that if we still wanted a meal there that he would arrange for it to be sent elsewhere in the hotel for us. Where else would you have that service? I even asked Chef Mohamed at the Sunflower to come back to Wales with us to open up a restaurant in Tenby selling authentic Egyptian Cuisine. Thank you Mr Hossam for doing a great job, Food and Beverage Manager.

Reception - Everyone is attentive to your every need especially Mr Mohamed Rabee. As soon as we walked through the doors he rushed over to us to welcome us back with hugs, and throughout our stay he and his team could not do enough to ensure we had everything we needed. Nothing was too much trouble however small.

Room - Superior Suite, spacious, clean and serviced to a very high standard through our stay. There was always a new towel design on the bed for us to admire and always fresh water available.

Pools / Water Park - Well maintained and even better that the biggest water park in Africa is available to use every day if you wish as part of the all inclusive stay. It would cost 65 euros for a family of 4 to go daily if you were on another hotel within the resort. With over 50 slides there was something for everyone, even a baby like me!!

Bars - A large selection of bars including the beach bar, which also offers food as part of the AI. We spent most of our time around the main pool where Big Mohamed runs the Cabaret bar. What a barman. Nothing too much trouble and has a sense of humour just like myself. He and the team under Mr Sharyaf worked tirelessly to ensure all guests get what ever they require. He said to us that every drink he makes he makes it for himself so you know it is going to be good. Even when spoken to rudely by other guests who don't use manners he always had a smile on his face. The Lobby Bar is also nice and relaxing for a cheeky one before dinner and Mustafa is the star of this bar.

Animation - We didn't get involved as much as we usually do because this was just a week break for just my wife and myself and we chose to chill but they still ensured they came over for a chat and asked us to get involved. There are plenty of activities for all to try if you want to. Shady and Tito were stars as was Mido who tried to teach my wife, who has two left feet to dance for over half an hour..... What a brave man. Nothing was too much trouble for this team.

We would personally like to thank all members of Staff for a superb holiday and personally treating us like royalty. Mr Gouda, thank you also for taking the time to make sure we were fine whenever you saw us. This means a lot to us. We look forward to coming back next year with all the children. Thank you all again for a superb week

If you are contemplating this hotel for your holiday and have read some of the negative reports please contact me and I will put your mind at rest. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but for us it is our paradise.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Jaz Aquamarine
Jaz Aquamarine
#34 of 222 in Hurghada
Jaz Makadi Oasis Resort and Club

Been to Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort? Share your experiences!