“Would Love to Go Back”

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Northampton
“Would Love to Go Back”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I had a fantastic time at makadi saraya, it definatley fufilled all of my expectations and made my visit to egypt not just a good one but a fantastic one. The Staff were brilliant, the reception, bar staff, poolside staff, cleaners all of them were excellent, my personal favourites were the animation team, they were so friendly and they kept me busy with loads of different acitivites and games, football, water polo, limbo etc during my stay. when you get to the hotel be sure to look out for a member of the animation team called adam, this man made my holiday one of the best ive ever had he made me laugh so much, he was more than helpful n had a great personality.

The food at saraya wasn't the best cuisine ive come across whilst abroad but i wudn't say it was terrible it just wasn't fantastic but the staff were more than happy to listen to your opinions and they made an effort to cater to your requests, the deserts were always nice though :) The beach is only five minutes away from the hotel n the sea is amazin, definatley buy a snorkel and check out the sea life there because its beautiful ive never been anywhere like it before its really something else. The nightlife isn't all that great in the resort but theres several bars to check out and theres the sheisha bar where the animation team put on a show every night to go to. The Shop keepers are a bit persistent in the resort but you learn how to handle them after a couple of days, there really friendly just a bit full on, you just have to accept there way of doing buisness.

I really enjoyed my stay at makadai saraya, 100% i would suggest it to a friend and would love to go back. it was definatley a holiday to remember, i really didnt want to come home.

Dean Mcguinness
Northampton, England

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
brighton
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Stayed here for one week only as i came to dive. The overall experience was ok for Egypt but the hotel could do better. The room, of average size for Egypt, was cleaned everyday - and the bathroom was spotless, however the rugs, table surfaces, light switches, tv, remote, etc were all dirty - not good in a hot country in which contagious stomach upsets are rampant. I did feel sick all week, however it was mild. I brought spray disinfectant with me, so it could have been worse. The food was good, varied, and healthy. The beach was a 10 min walk away and the beach was lovely but the snorkelling was the poorest Ive seen in Egypt (I go 3 times a year to dive, and go to different hotels each time), due to the coral being damaged, although it is recovering. For beginner snorkellers it would be enough, but if you've been elsewhere in the Red Sea you would notice the difference.
Overall I would say that the holiday was fine and the hotel was ok, but other hotels (such as the Iberotel Coraya in Marsa Alam) make much more effort, with tea/coffee in the room for no charge, laundry no charge, slippers and robe etc, all for a comparative price. And the snorkelling there is MUCH better, ditto anywhere else in Sharm, Dahab, or Nuweiba. You did get hassle from the local shopkeepers, and every second man wants to know if you are married. Its tedious, and Ive stayed in other places where this kind of low level harassment is less noticeable, such as Taba, Marsa Alam, Dahab. But the diving here is pretty good, and if you come for that you wont be disappointed. I dived with Sub Aqua Divers, a German owned company in the north of the bay who picked me up every morning. I would highly recommend them, they were warm and professional and I would go back there definitely.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The hotel is wonderful-except for one thing. I was saddened by the manner in which Iberotel is able to take advantage of Egyptian workers. I saw the same workers-working in the early morning and again late at night. The hotel is full of very poorly paid Egyptians who can not complain about their working conditions or they will be easily replaced. We were able to talk with the workers in Arabic and I felt very badly for them. How is it that Egypt has sold its best beaches to foreign countries and then closed them to the public? Why is it that Iberotel can not pay their Egyptian employees a decent wage when the hotel is packed with Germans and Russians. This hotel is a great bargain for Europeans and someone is getting rich in the process.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Essex
Reviewed 21 June 2009

My partner and I stayed here for a week. Dont listen to people who moan about lack of brits etc - go to Benidorm if you want that! This hotel is fantastic. The pools, restuarants, bars, beach etc are all 10 out of 10. I make a point of never going back to the same place but I would definately go back here at the drop of a hat. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simkaz
Doncaster
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Returned yesterday after spending 2 weeks at the Saraya. We were a party of four 50 somethings, 2 couples, looking for a relaxing holiday and we found just that. Whilst agreeing that he hotel may not be a true 5*, in some areas, customer service for example, you get 5* plus treatment. Food was good and there was always something to satisfy the fussiest diner, (apart from the Brits who complained that there were no bacon,sausage and "proper bread"- I suggest they try Benidorm). Each dining area had a different theme night each evening and the staff dressed in the costume of the relevant country.The beach was a 10 minute stroll and each hotel has its own private strip with ample sunbeds and bar were you can get drinks and snacks all day as part of the AI package. You dont even have to leave your sunbed as the waiter will bring your order to you if you require. Try snorkelling as the sea is so clear and the fish you see even in shallow water are breathtaking. It was my first try and I am hooked. The animation team worked really hard to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. They dont pester you to join in, just chat and if you dont want to join in, thats fine. We took part in the Olympics, competition between the neighbouring hotels and won a gold medal for our efforts. They put on a different show each night geared towards families, and if I had a critisism, they should have more for adults after 1000pm,There is a disco,La Loco, but they charge 5 euros entrance but all drinks are free. We didnt bother, prefering to have a quiet drink in one of the bars. Our room cleaner Wally, was very good, and every day he left a different towel arrangement on our beds. We gave him a tip on our last day and in return he presented us with a papyrus picture of Tutenkharmen, which was a lovely touch. We went on the day trip to Luxor, and although very tiring, it is well worth it. You visit the Valley of the Kings and take a boat trip across the Nile and have lunch in a 5* hotel among other things. The hotel pools( 2) are large and very clean and towels are provided. There are plenty of sunbeds so no need to rush out at 730am to reserve, (Although a English couple did this every day and put towels on 5 beds just for the 2 of them- never saw any other Nationality do this). The other guests are mainly German & Russian and Brits are in the minority. This caused no problems and if you make an effort to talk to them you might be surprised how friendly they can be and it adds to the whole holiday experience. All in all a fantastic holiday which we hope to repeat in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lyrical53
Moudon, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We went to the Iberostar Saraya in May and just come back. We were 6 friends travelling every 2 years all together. I must say this hotel is very goog in all point. I have myself children and would go back there with them as it is really nice as well for families with children. Makadi Suites are big enough for a family of 4. The swimming pool is beautiful all the complex with 3 hotels is beautiful with a lot of flowers. The food in the buffet restaurant was very good and it change often. The food at the restaurant at the simming pool was good as well and you can even eat at the beach. Some rooms are not so quiet and do not accept to be on the side of the restaurant but ask to have a room on the swimming pool side... Those are the most beautiful one. The beach is nice but on the sea they're no more fish... This is the problem... The makadi SPA is beautiful also.
I'm a travel agent and I will recommend this hotel to my clients as a 4 star and not 5.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Paisley
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Booked this hotel because had such good reviews on tripadvisor
but I'm sorry dont think these people have been to many 5 star hotels and I know that 5 star in Egypt is not the standard we would expect in the UK hotels,Having been to Makadi Palace were the food service and surroundings are far superior The only saving grace for the holiday was the staff they were very good especially Mahmood in reception who had to trail round five blocks before we got a suite that was suitable and even it had a huge crack in the bathroom mirror. we booked a suite thinking more luxurious surroundings wrong just bigger rooms of same standard which were ok if you were expecting 3/4 star.
The food was very poor and if you pay for AI you dont expect to have to pay 10/15 euro per person to go to a la carte restuarants + pay for your alcohol.The hotel guests mostly Russian,German + Dutch
Adam from the animation team works very hard with the water aerobics and belly dancing classes but the entertainment at night is very poor even for the kids.
The staff in the Tamarina Bar can make a good margarita
Another reason for choosing this hotel was because it had a spa on site the surrounding are lovely but it is very expensive 55 euro for massage! no packages
and yes we to got the tummy bug but i think thats pretty normal for egypt.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Jaz Aquamarine
Jaz Aquamarine
#35 of 222 in Hurghada
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Makadi Bay

Been to Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort? Share your experiences!