“excellent holiday, can t wait to go back”

Tia Heights Makadi Bay
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I ve just returned from yet another excellent holiday at Tia Heights, I was there with my elderly mother who is reliant on a wheelchair, the staff are so friendly and welcoming it s like going home, all staff from the highest position to the lowest cannot do enough for you. The service is exceptional, one evening I happened to mention to the MD, Michael, that the ramp leading into the reception area was difficult for me to use as the gradiant was quite steep, the next morning a new ramp had been installed.

There is a wide variety of food choice with different restraunts to sample, all providing lovely fresh cooked food. If there is something you want that is not on the menu all you have to do is ask and the chefs will prepare it for you.

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds that are maintained to a high standed, the pool is the biggest, best and cleanest I ve ever been in, the pool attendants are constantly cleaning the pool and the surrounding area.

The rooms are well maintained and most have undergone total refurbishment, the fridge is stocked with water and three types of fizzy drink.

.The animation team are friendly and produce excellent shows, they are on the go all day, the activities they provide are varied and fun so never a dull moment if you want to be active, but if like me you prefer to relax and soak up the sun, then Tia Heights is the perfect place to do it. We are already planning our next trip and this time taking more of the family with us.

Room Tip: poll view rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank jeanetteolley1
There are newer reviews for Tia Heights Makadi Bay

Reviewed 22 May 2011

What a superb holiday !! Truly magical. Wonderful hotel and so efficiently managed. Hotel surrounded by water and various points accessible by little bridges - reminds one of a miniature Venetian setting. 20 out of 10 for all staff who are so polite and helpful in every respect, give of their all and appear to be industrious at all times. Child friendly. Many activities available to indulge in at the hotel or on the beach for both Adults and Children and entertainment every evening in the hotel Disco. There is also Internet facilities available. Food varied and of excellent quality and some is even cooked fresh while you wait.by the chefs. Took 3 trips during my week there which were well worth the investment. On the trip to Luxour we were so well informed by the guide en route that I feel I understand about Egyptian culture a lot more. What else can one say about this hotel except that you must go there then you will see what I have felt. Hats off to the Manager for such a well run hotel and all the staff for making my week an enjoyable one. Just wish it has been 2 weeks. I would certainly recommend the Hotel to people and would have no hesitation on returning at a future date. Thank you to all those that made my holiday so enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank SylviaCMorley
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I have just returned from Tia Heights and want to express what a wonderful place it is.I felt like I was on a film set. The hotel is like a Hollywood home.Clean,cool and staffed by well mannered,polite and industrious staff.The manager was as friendly as he was helpful as were the reception staff,cleaners and concierge.The trips were fairly priced and well organised and there were lots of family events as well.The hotel is set in ideallic surroundings and there is something to occupy every age and gender.Badwahs,Luxor trips,snorkelling,market days,camel rides,swimming in the most enormous hotel pool,drinks,entertainment,,internet,saunas,massage,gymnasiums and so much more.The food was excellent,the rooms spacious and clean and the weather and bouganvillas a colourful extra to a most splendid holiday.Massive thank you to all who work behind the scenes as well.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank melissalee1
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We had a great Easter break at the Tia Heights. The Hotel was nicely full. Food choice was good from a large buffet style service - most food was cooked to order in front of you, by the chefs Very close to the clean beach with great opportunity to snorkel and see the fish and corals. Animation team were really cool - Antonio does a great acrobatic dance routine. Quad bikes picked up at hotel and we had a fantastic run out to an isolated beach across the desert.
we will be going again.

Room Tip: Pick a room looking out over the pools.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank CostaLuver
Reviewed 16 May 2011

A lovely big hotel set in well kept gardens with a massive pool that stretched from the hotel walls to within a few yards from the beach with plenty of sunbeds so no getting up early to put your towels down. . ALL the staff were very friendly with big smiles and an eagerness to talk to you from the gardeners and cleaning staff, the bar and pool staff, the waiters just about every one. The rooms were very clean and spacious, with fridge which was replenished with fizzy drinks and bottled water. The pool and garden area was well kept with plenty of plants and trees, well landscaped. The beach was sandy and clean with plenty of sun beds and parasols. The sea was as you see in pictures, blues and turquoises and very very clear . On our second week we met micheal the fairly new M.D, and was very impressed with the way he talked to as many people as he could, getting input about the hotel, good and bad from all nationalities. We saw him at early breakfast right through till late evening every day, usually walking around chatting to the guests making sure they were being taken care of. We got to know him on a personal level and we liked the way he would talk to his staff personally and not leave everything to notices and memos pinned to the wall. There was a good choice of food through out the day but i did agree with some of the comments that they could vary the way they cooked the meat and fish. The only other comment is that, as the hotel does not have many facilities near by we thought the shuttle bus should have made more frequent trips to Hurgada and stop in the new Hurgada (near the new hotels that has a long parade of shops) as well as the marina area. over all a great holiday i would recommend to anyone.
BARRY AND MONIKA

Room Tip: just tip a few quid and get treated like royalty
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yoxfordflier
Reviewed 5 May 2011

This was my first trip to Egypt and also to an all inclusive type hotel. Knowing that I would not leave the resort, I stupidly thought I would not need to take much local currency with me - I was wrong! - from the minute we arrived, we were constantly hassled to pay extra for things or to sign up for massages, excursions or even to buy fresh orange juice or a piece of fruit. The staff selling these various things are very pushy and do not leave you alone. Literally from the first minute I sat on the beach on the first day, we were approached - this was one of the worst experiences as the person selling treatments in the Spa would not take no for an answer, in the end we signed up to what he told us would be a good deal (partly to get rid of him) once we'd agreed he insisted payment straight away, id never heard of such a thing as I would normally charge things to my room in a 5* hotel????, As I was on the beach, I did not have the equivalent of £220 GBP on me, he then proceeded to walk me to the cash point (which wasnt close and bare in mind I had just settled on the beach) as we approached the cash point the member of staff then said that I had to give him an extra 100 egyptian pounds for arranging this, he made it seem normal, I stupidly did this, he then went on to tell me not to say anything to anyone about that!!!!!! (I could name him but I wont but please be aware). I have travelled all over the world and both myself and my partner are well educated and have good jos, we came on holiday to relax but ended up in a hotel that was like being in a busy souk or market. I understand that when shopping or out in the towns you have to negotiate etc etc but did not expect treatment like this within the apparent safety of the hotel. Again, I bought a shisha pipe from the shop in the hotel, as it was a hotel shop I did not want to insult the man by bartering (maybe I was wrong) so I asked him to throw in 10 packs of the mollasses tobacco, he said he could only do this for another 200 egyptian pounds (£20 GPB) it turns out that I could have bought twice the amount of tobacco at the airport for £3 GPB!!!!! he also agreed to include a full pack of coal, when i unwrapped it, he had only put one sleeve in and the lid was missing. The point I want people to know is just refuse these people as they are like vultures, once you give them a slight in, they will go for blood, who wants to be hassled within the safety of your hotel, again i understand that on the street it is different and that people dont earn a lot of money but anywhere I have ever been we have tipped because the service was amazing (Dubai, Royal Mirage for example) not because we were being pestered to do it. Another example, our room cleaner whom I always take care of, made sure to introduce himself and find out when we were leaving, he was all over us in terms of ensuring he would get his tip to the extentthat he must have waited outside our room for 2 hours the night before and for 3 hours on the morning we left!!! I wish he paid as much attention to doing his job, in a one week stay, he twice forgot to leave us any towels, he once forgot to leave us any toilet paper, he never refilled the tissues and twice he did not leave us with any water!!!! Now, again I tipped him out of embarrasment and to get rid of him as he would not leave us alone and because he left petals on the bed on the last night, he made a point of asking us 6 times if we liked it!!!! There were other incidents, it is not nice to go to a hotel where you feel members of staff are trying to rob you, oh and also on my first all inclusive holiday not leaving the resort, I spent another £1000 there!!! It's not like it was a cheap holiday before that anyway. A note for the english in particular (this didnt bother me too much) I did not meet another English person at the hotel for the whole time of my stay, I wasnt too bothered but the hotel mainly caters for the russians to the extent that most of the staff speak more russina than english - again I speak 4 languages but for 3 barman all stood next to each other and not to know what a milkshake is????? especially when it is on the menu. the staff that dont really get tips are miserable and rude which is really what you want on your holiday. The nicest and most genuine person we met was Mansoor the guy that does the shisha pipes in the evening. Re the spa treatments that we pre-paid for, we cancelled the second one for my partner as she really disliked the first - what do you think the chances of a refund were??? - I'll leave you to work that out!! As for the animation team they are on the take as well, organising their own excursions late at night into Hurghada and obviously making money out of it. On my last day, I had one of them stalking me all over the hotel as I apparently owed him 200 egyptian pounds for tickets he had obviously got for free. I know this sounds really awful but I just want to warn people, we were sold tickets to a special evening dinner, the waiter told us there would be food trhat weasnt there and it was also empty, we were embarrassed to be there and again it was a waste of our money. The buffet fod was okay but again there are a lot of language barriers if you only speak english, when I say it was okay, I dont remember really enjoying one meal there but it was edible. the hotel is in pretty good condition, you couldnt really complain about the standard unless you visited the hotels on either side which are too a much higher standard. I had an okay stay but I think the hotel could be managed better - wI never once saw any hotel managment, the staff need a lotmore training and need to learn to be polite and genuine. they need to stop their own staff pestering guests and pushing and bullying them. I have travelled across most of Europe, America, I have stayed in the UAE and been to South Africa and other places - I can easily say this is the worst holiday I have ever had. I cant even say it was cheap as we paid £1500 for two of us plus the excessive spending out there!!! Tia Heights Maangement need to step up and raise their game I am afraid!

Room Tip: God knows, I dont think the staff even know!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

We have contacted the poster of this review directly and investigated his complaints thoroughly and have since responded to him and his partner who made another posting covering the same visit. I would however like to confirm to anyone thinking of travelling to Tia Heights that the points raised by this guest are not typical of anyone staying with us! All shops, the SPA and excursions and watersports facilities are provided by respectable outside specialist companies . We thoroughly check them for references etc. before we allow them to rent shops or facilities and operate from the hotel. Beach salesmen are fully briefed as to what they can and cannot do and are monitored at all times. They are in fact only allowed to make saleson the beach for a couple of hours each day-the remainder of the time, they must operate from their desks within the hotel and are always under strict instructions about not hassling the guests in any shape or form! I pride myself on being available in the hotel most of the day and into the evening and had these guests raised any issues during their stay with either myself of one of my management team, we would have investigated it before the guests left the hotel. On this note, I would encourage any guest staying at any hotel be it ours , or another property anywhere in the world, to contact the hotel management whilst in resort if they have a problem or concern, rather than leave dis-satisfied.We will do our uptmost to assist and will always investigate any complaint thoroughly. Our aim is to ensure guest satisfaction at all times. MDB

Reviewed 3 May 2011

Having booked the "5 star" Tia Heights and having read the reviews on this site, I was expecting an amazing accommodation experience.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. The hotel was very nice, clean and gardens/outdoor areas kept very clean. The food was definitely not 5 star quality - within the all inclusive option there was only one restaurant available for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was buffet style. None of it was awful but it all became samey and the meat dishes were very bland because they were so over cooked (probably to avoid food poisoning). There were other restaurants on the resort, some were closed due to the very small number of guests staying at the hotel. Two were open - an Italian and a seafood restaurant. We were offered a "complimentary" meal at the Italian - the meal consisted of a set menu with no choice whatsoever. We chose to pay the extra for the A La Carte menu, which wasn't entirely worth it.

Beware, everything other than local drinks (watered down) and buffet must be paid for - we had to pay to go to a "theme" evening which was supposed to be full of "fresh fish and bbq meat and delights" - we walked out after half an hour; there were only two other tables occupied.

We never once saw the English manager that everyone speaks of! The hotel was full of rude, unfriendly Russians.

In spite of all this, we still enjoyed our holiday - the weather was great, the beach was nice, good sunbeds and lots of them, the room was always clean and the animation team were very good fun.

I wouldn't go back to Tia Heights but there were nice hotels on either side of the resort - The Sun Rise and Madinat/Jaz Makadi which I'd book if I went back to Egypt.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

Whilst I thank you for your positive comments regarding he clean rooms, gardens and outdoor areas together with the beach and the animation team, I am very sad that you incorrectly believed the drinks were watered down! I can assure you that this is not the case, as it would not be worth our while jeopardising our reputation in this respect! With respect to the number of restaurants open, I am unsure as you said in your heading, "did I stay in a diferent hote". The reason I say this is that we have the main restaurant open and this inludes and extensive buffet with different choices of meat and fish each day. We are careul with spies as international tastes differ and therefore our chefs cook main course meat dishes on an "a la minute" basis in front of the guests-this means they can add spices and sauces to order thereore the meat o fish is cooked to your own preferences. The Caravan Restaurant by the beach is open every lunhtime for our all inclusive guests,therefore giving them two places to chhose from where there are no extra charges! In both the Italian and Seafood Restaurants, there are two choices of set menu to choose from in each restaurant, so I am unsure why you were led to believe there was no choice. We have three other restaurants open now which inlude a steakhouse, a Chinese and a Lebanese. Wih regards to the dinner you booked and paid extra for, there was a substantial buffet with a wide choice of quality food available and this event was attended by 42 guests that evening-I therefore believe you may have arrived and deaprted early before the other guests arrived and the buffet was served. inally, your comments regarding not seeing the English General Manager were correct, as I went on vacation late in the evening the day you arrived and returned to Egypt on the 01st May. I hope this re-assures anyone considering visiing Tia Heights and would suggest that they look at earlier postings to see more positive reviews of our hotel. I have also responded to the posters of the above posting in a private email . Sincerely MD Booker-General Manager