19-26 April 2013. My sister-in-law and I have just returned from our 3rd visit to Tia Heights and unfortunately I think it may be our last. Although we had a lovely time, the dip in standards was quite noticeable during this visit.
On arrival we were upgraded to a lagoon room, being returning guests. The room was huge and situated right on the beach front which was great, but being two ladies we felt a little isolated at night, therefore we requested a move. We were allocated another lagoon room – 7502 and found the location to be good.
The room consisted of good size twin beds plus an extra bed in the corner. Although a little tired around the edges, the room was clean and very spacious (a lot more spacious than the main building rooms). The room attendant came in daily and changed the beds, towels and replenished the water in the mini bar. He also left us little flower arrangements in vases and on towels. Bottles of Coke, Sprite and Fanta are still complimentary in the room on your first day but these are not replenished.
On our previous visits we found the food to be the only negative about the hotel and unfortunately this remains the same. This year there is a restaurant upstairs (the Jasmine) which is for western Europeans only – not quite sure how they get away with that! We ate in there a couple of times and found it disappointing. It was empty with no atmosphere whatsoever. The food was a smaller selection of the food from the main restaurant downstairs.
The main restaurant was still as chaotic as ever, with dirty tables and people pushing around.
Like last year, we ate in the seafood a la carte restaurant a couple of times and would still recommend this, plus it’s very reasonable for a good meal. Amr and Ahmed still work there and they remembered us from last year and really looked after us.
We spent 2 days on the beach and the rest of the week by the beautiful pool. The pool bar area looked like it needed a good clean around the edges in the water - in the area where people sit at the bar.
Bassem, the waiter at the beach bar, also recognised us from last year and really looked after us with drinks. We didn’t have to move from our loungers - though we did tip him well. It was well worth it and he was a lovely man.
We found a lovely quiet spot at the pool, well away from families with children and the music from the day time activities. This was very pleasant and relaxing.
Apart from an English couple who kept themselves to themselves, we were the only Brits in the hotel during that week.
As already mentioned, we feel the hotel is looking a bit tired in areas. The reception area has some beautiful large glass doors leading to other areas of the hotel and on our previous visits cleaners would be polishing the glass at all times of the day. This year, we didn’t see them cleaned once and they looked really grubby, which stood out to us. The toilets in the public areas could be cleaner too. This may seem trivial, but it’s just a small example of how we feel the standards are slipping.
We had a lovely holiday, but think we will be trying another hotel in the Hurghada/Makadi Bay area next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Egypt's spectacular Red Sea coast, TIA Height's large resort is ideally situated on a stretch of sandy beach in Makadi Bay. The hotel faces the magical waters of Egypt's Red Sea, nestled between desert dunes and breathtaking mountain ranges. The bay provides a superb location for scuba-diving and snorkeling. Built over 250,000 square metres (in a total surrounding area of one million square metres of land), this five star resort boasts an international standard Aqua Park, a 6,400 square metre swimming pool that is considered the largest pool in the Middle East. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Onthebeach, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tia Heights Makadi Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tia Heights Makadi Hotel Makadi Bay
- Hurghada Le Meridien
- Meridien Makadi Bay
- Le Meridien Makadi Bay Hurghada