“Swings and roundabounts”

Tia Heights Makadi Bay
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed about 5 weeks ago, we had a garden room 4006 which was a bit disappointing the room was big but poorly furnished ,the shower was weird, the taps for the shower were situated in the middle of the bath so you had the width of a bath along with a nylon shower curtain which kept sticking to you when you showered, it was a problem but you got used to it. The patio area was big and private with the sun in the morning, if you like a cup of coffee early in the morning which I do take your own kettle, the room boy was brilliant the room was kept very clean he was friendly and courteous and even gave me a gift when we left The food was typical of Egyptian hotels but you could always find something to eat. The hotel is huge with a pool to match but the water was too cold to appreciate the pool when we went. We did find the lack of information a problem ie;- rules regarding aqua park, (which is brill especially for children or big kids) we wanted to have room service one night but could not find a room service menu or number we could ring in the room. The plus side the staff were very friendly especially Shahat in the Dockers Bar who keeps you well supplied with drinks and Ali at the beach bar (unfortunatly Ali left for vacation after a few days, it was never the same after)We saw a couple of shows in the two weeks we stayed and they were good.The only other gripe was the disco if it wasn't techno music forget it, it's not just the younger people that like to have a dance. Think he needs a bit more variety. Also check out the Grill restaurant in the town they do fabulous steaks and very reasonable it's about 10 min stroll on the beach path. Yes I would stay in this hotel again but with a different room grade.

Room Tip: Garden room not very good can,t comment on other rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne W
Hesham D, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Although there are some concerns from your side but I am glad you did have lots of positive comments about the hotel. You have mentioned that the furniture in the room was little dated and if you have seen the previous comments, you will see that we are working diligently to renew all furniture needed however as you are aware the time is very tough as overall situation of business is affected but we are very optimistic it will come back stronger than ever and we will do all necessary renovation needed. I am very pleased to hear that you liked the cleanliness of our rooms; our Housekeeping team does tremendous job. I also would like to direct your attention that all rules for the "Aqua Park" are posted in many languages as soon as you enter the Aqua Park; well next time you visit us you shall see them. Also I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with food and beverage and specially the bartenders and the service over all. Once again thanks for your comments and I assure you we will work on the points you have addressed. Regards>

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Best Aqua Park I ever went to.
Food is okay.
Very big clean pool.
Activities everywhere.
Beautiful beach.
Too big.
Very good service.
and good weather,too.
Place is good.
I recommend you to go there it was awesome with shows every night!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Eldeheby

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your positive comments we do appreciate your business and your support and our commitment to you is to provide you always with great food and excellent service. hope to see you soon with the family!!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Fantastic hotel .. will come back every year to enjoy watching nature .. and thanking everyone for this hotel for the warm reception and hospitality..Every day fresh fruits, and delicious food. Even food prepared while you wait for your order. There are also seperate sections for European guests if you wish to go there but me and my family liked to sit outdoors surrounded by the pool of the hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mohamed s

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such positive and objective comments. we are delighted to hear that you did enjoy your time at Tia. Hope to see you more often and wish you and the family pleasant day!!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hello first of all I would like to let people know about my bad experiences. we reserved and once there they make us wait for more than 3 hours on the lobby (no air conditioner) cuz they couldn't find room for us. After a time they proposed us to have 2 suite for 11 people.... As we disagreed because there was to miss space.. they gave us 3 double bedrooms. As we open the door the Rooms has a very bad and toxic smell the manager said we just spray for insects (ants, coackroach,,,) yesterday.. but we can spray something for the smell :O.. I just get out of an allergic problem we have kids and baby..they wanted us to sleep in that.. we went to eat the lunch while waiting..the food is also bad and you need to wait like 30 minutes for a simple meat sandwich.. We didnt stayed there we check out after waiting 3 hours and went to another resort. Well for us we will never go there anymore and I wont recommend this resort at anyone. Bad quality, bad services, bad food, bad everything.

Room Tip: There is any hint to give the room was a toxic place..i guess they need money so they will let peopl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Love L

First I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered in our hotel. I do not want to be in defensive side neither to try to change your perspective, I am only sad that you did not give us a chance to correct the situation and you have left the hotel. Certainly we are in the middle of the desert and we will get insects naturally. It is our responsibility to make sure you stay in a clean room and that is basic expectation from your side and we do understand that. If you were just recovering from being over sensitive and having allergy we would love to know that because we do have special rooms that is treated for that purpose. I do repeat my apology and I assure you that we will work on gaining your trust back. We do have a wonderful resort with great Aqua Park and we are proud of it. I wish you pleasant day.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in Tia heights for one night in April 2014. Needless to say, the hotel has nothing to do with a 5 stars rating.
To be honest, the hotel staff are extremely helpful and friendly. We were greeted with a smile at the reception and during our stay we were always greeted by the staff who were always smiling, however, we have booked our room from booking.com and once we arrived we have discovered that it is extremely far from the reception area as well as the pool and beach. After spending around 10 minutes walking in the blistering sun with a 6 months old baby, we arrived to a dirty room with old furniture, to make things worse, when we tried to open the curtains dead insects went falling on us. we have decided to leave the hotel, but as I have mentioned earlier, the staff are really helpful and they have upgraded us to a lagoon room closer to the pool and reception for free. The new room which was supposed to be better, was clean, however the furniture was still old and definitely needs renovation. After the nice gesture we have decided to stay for the night.
At the beach we were given really old towels with faded colors which we decided not to use.
The hotel was fully booked during our stay, which made it really hard for the staff to organize dinner as people were standing in front of the restaurant's door 10 minutes before dinner. It was extremely hectic. The food however tasted really good and they had lots of varieties as well as a lovely outdoor area overlooking the pool.
Last but not least; the aqua park is really nice and the slides are fun to use.

Room Tip: Do not use booking.com to reserve this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Heba F

Greeting Dear Guest;
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you might have encountered in our hotel. I personally do understand your frustration about your first room experience and I assure you I did address this issue with entire team to make sure it does not happen again.
I am also very surprised that you have stated very good and positive comments such as
* Staff was very helpful
* They changed your room and upgraded you for FREE
* Food was great
* Aqua Park was wonderful
And finally the hotel was full; we did have about 3000 guests to serve and for you to recognize all these positive comments from our staff and service, I think it would have been nicer to be objective and realize that we were full and mistakes will happen but we did our best to recover and for sure I will not blame "booking the wrong room from Booking .com" but as you mentioned our staff and management team did their best to meet and exceed your expectations. I would love to see you changing the rating of our hotel to more positive one however we would like to see you make your next reservation at our hotel and see that we have worked on all your comments. Thanks and have a great day.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Advertised as 5* 'Where luxury meets comfort'...yes the room was spacious, but quality lacking in everything; the beds were covered with plain white bedsheets giving the appearance of a hospital ward while the mattresses were so old that the ridge supposed to support the sides were on the top and not very comfortable to lie on. There was so much ice on the freezer part of the fridge that the door would not close properly. It was de-iced but the water was left pooled on the floor and inside the unit. Mould and rust in the bathroom and I think you have the picture. This hotel is vast - 500 or so rooms in the hotel proper and about 40 annexes, each with 26 room. I was in annex number 40 and they continued up to number 80 and there is not the staff to look after it properly.
Having said that, the foyer is magnificent with an elegant curved marble staircase and there is a 24hr bar staffed by lovely people and the coffee is very nice.
Let's move on to the main restaurant - the food is geared to western European tastes; don't expect roasts; fish in sauce and chicken in sauce were the staples with rice, pasta or potatoes in sauce to accompany. Lots of fresh salad and bread but butter only at breakfast time where you can find cold milk with the coffee and hot milk with the cereal - bizarre! Fresh orange juice is lovely and again the coffee is good. However, it was difficult to tell which blokes were the waiters [unless they were carrying plates] as they wore open necked shirts and looked like guests.
The staff were helpful especially during the 5 complaints that I made - leaking toilet, fridge door not closing, air con not working [twice] and no cold water in shower. There were several short power cuts also.
The majority of guests were Russian and German and I was the only Brit there, so no-one to talk to for 2 weeks but that's not the fault of the hotel, I went primarily for the snorkelling, and while the sandy beach was lovely, there were no fish due to the netting encompassing the bay to exclude swimmers from the boating area. All in all a very dismal place and not recommended.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jean J

Der Guest
First I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you might have encountered in our hotel even if it is shorter than expected rating as you yourself have mentioned;
You have stated ;
* Lobby was magnificent and elegant with curved stairs and marbles
* 24 hours bar service and staff are great/lovely
* Coffee is very nice
*Fresh orange juice is great
*Lots of variety of food (bread and salad are great)
* many German Guests
* Lovely beach
from you have mentioned clearly we did not meet that image you have expected of us knowing that we did in your opinion have great points. I am sad to see your rating of us like that specially with all your positive comments and I wish you could change them to more positive.
We do have many loyal British guests and you have mentioned that we do have many loyal German guests ; so as you can see we are trusted by very strong nations who have certain expectations and we do meet and exceed them. I wish you great day and hope to see you again in our hotel with more positive experience

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I went there last summer with my family, I'm going to Hurghada yearly but it was the first time to go to this resort, It was somehow ok but compared to most of the other 5 stars resorts it is not recommended. 1 restaurant only is serving the guests and it is always overcrowded, the quality of food is very poor. The maintenance of the rooms & the facilities is very bad, many things in the room went out of order & the response to the claim is not that fast. The Staff is fine, the best thing is the aqua park but still it is not well controlled by the staff regarding the arrangments between guests for the turns of plays, you can't find a floater easily !
In general I don't recommend this resort & I won't go there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Shady K

Greeting sir

I do appreciate your feedback and I do apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered in our resort. you have mentioned that we do have many positive elements such as great and wonderful staff, and the Aqua bark was the best. I am sad that your overall experience was not so good but I assure you, we have addressed al issues you have mentioned and definitely we would like you to give us another chance to see the positive change we have made in our product and services. Thank you and have a great day.