“go for fun, not for food”
Review of Serenity Fun City

Serenity Fun City
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 24 April 2013

From 2nd April to 16th.This holiday is perfect for adults and kids (two adults age 22 and 26 one child age 7) we had a brilliant time although the food was'nt the best we did not go hungry. The last review was pretty much spot on where the food was concerned but we did get burgers as well as pizza and kofta at the snack bar and a small ice cream around 3pm every day by the pool.

The hotel was spotless, rooms were also very clean and were tidied every day.

I was a a bit concerned that our child would not make any friends as there are not many English reviews how ever we met about 9 or 10 English familys there and she met plenty of friends at kids club, where they do face painting, coloring, making things, uno, films, bikes and playing in the make believe houses. it was open 10 till 12.30 and 2 till half 4 every day apart from Sunday. They also had a mini disco every night at half 8 in the lobby for the kids.

We went to the beach a few times at the other hotel apparently they served you at the bar on the beach but we did not try because we were refused a drink at the bar when we went to see one of the shows at that hotel (cobra show) which was good but we were very thirsty.
It is definitely worth going to the beach and snorkeling just of the jetty there are some beautiful fish down there. The man with the camel on the beach tried to charge us £20 English pounds for a quick ten minute ride which we refused to pay but did not seem to budge, but two other family's got him for £5 for a 2 - 5 minute walk. Maybe he was having a bad day?

Luna park was great as well. The kids disco would give out 1 free luna park ticket per child, but sometimes were only valid for that night, other wise worked out about 1 euro per ride and no queuing!!

The slides were brilliant!!! which is what we went for lots to choose from and for all ages there is a separate pool area for toddlers.The pool staff are very friendly and will help carry the rings up the stairs if you cant manage (ring for the family slide is heavy)
We could not fault the staff in any way they were all so friendly and help full especially when you made yourself know that you were English and not Russian. Liza the guest relations manager was a great help.

Overall we had a great time and would recommend this hotel despite the food. if you get bored just head out to the marina there are lots of lovely restaurants to choose from, was about 20 English pound to get there and back after a few hours.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 5211, right in the middle between the buffet/lobby and the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed w/c 29/03/13. Let me start by saying that my family and I had a great time and would certainly consider returning to this hotel, this is mainly due to the water park.

Money - don't take Egyptian £'s, they price everything and expect payment in Dollars or Euros

The positives:
Water Park is great for both adults and children
The hotel is spotlessly clean and very well maintained
Luna Park (extra charges) is very well maintained and is great fun (rides are about 1 euro per ride)
Great swimming pools
Great gardens
Our child really enjoyed the kids club

Other points:
Food - Restaurant and Buffet food is not of the standard you would expect in Europe, its repetitive and unimaginative. Also buffet dish's are not replenished quickly. No ice cream for desert and the orange juice is certainly not like any I have tasted before (or hope to again). Tables are not cleared and reset quickly most days we had to set a table ourselves.

The day time snacks at the one snack bar are very basic comprising of a piece of Kofta in a bread bun or small pieces of bland cheese and tomato pizza - No ice cream, burgers, hot-dogs, chips or pancakes as we have seen in similar hotels,

Drinks - mainly served in very small disposable plastic cups, no waiter service. Local spirits are an acquired taste.

The beach area at the sister hotel gets very busy but is well worth a visit to see the fish and do some snorkeling. However trying to eat or get a drink at the 'shared' facilities is difficult and you are not made to feel very welcome.

There are very few English families (at Easter) in this hotel although English is spoken by most staff and the staff seemed to like English people. Most holiday makers are Russian, who are abrupt, have no manners (no please or thank yous) and push in at every opportunity if there is a queue.

All the above being said, the water park was the reason we booked and we were not disappointed. We were made to feel welcome at Fun City and Luna Park was an added bonus. For families with children this is a fun hotel.

Room Tip: If staying with children its worth upgrading to a family room on arrival.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank TW1967ab
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Ok so here goes, Ive never been prompted to write a review before but this place was too good to not do.

Myself, my wife and my 9yr old son (Sam) have just returned from spending a week here. We went with Thomas Cook.

Im writing this in the hope that more British will see this and go!

Its not perfect and so heres the iffy bits first. (if I said it was you'd probably ignore me anyway!)

Fun City and its sister hotel, Serenity are roughly in the middle of no where! 30min by car from nearest town and nothing else around.

Food - erm.. not sure where I can go here without saying its "not good"!I'm reliably informed its better as the season gets busier but honestly the food wasnt good enough for us (maybe we are spoilt in Western Europe? (this is not the whole story so do keep reading, theres a way to get it to be brilliant).

Fun fair - was pay and play and to be honest wasnt that special. Alton Towers - it aint!

Quality of free spirits and wine ... not good but beer and wine drinkable. (beer was fine and anything mixed with fizzy stuff is fine but do not try and drink the scotch or vodka neat ... unless you can take fire water!)

Very few brits, both hotels are used mainly by Russians and Germans - but ALL staff speak English ranging from perfect to competent.

No wifi in the rooms and even the free one at the bar was terribly slow .. my wife thought this is a plus point by the way!

Thomas Cook flight was cramped (VERY badly) and no entertainment although the food was good... I accept thats nothing to do with the hotel but its important for the holiday!

Now the good bits... EVERYTHING ELSE!!

This place is just BRILLIANT and even before we left we were working out when to come back! (answer is October!!). Never have I been so sorry to end a holiday and NEVER EVER have I seriously planned to return before we even left!

Staff ... completely amazing.... they made our holiday! Adriano and the kids entertainment team are just brilliant. Elizabetha (Customer Services manager) could not do enough to help, Ali Ahmed who is food and beverage director was simply outstanding! From the bar staff, through cleaners to restaurant staff and everyone from the top downwards tried hard to make our holiday perfect.
Polite but informed opinion even on bad things if delivered courtesly and with possible solutions were lapped up and they tried so hard to make everything just perfect!
We were friendly with them and as a consequence they really could not do anything better even though they tried. Rushing to serve us, making sure we had choice at what ever we choose and doing simply anything to make our stay the best!

Food - we discovered the Japanese restaurant on day 3 (and ate there three more times in a week) food quality here is incredible - live Teppanaki show was good but honestly the food quality was incredible (I know Ive said that but I'll do it again until that restaurant is packed every night!) Best steak, perfectly cooked chicken, tiger prawns ... all cooked to perfection in front of you! Its an extra but at 20quid per night it just had to be done! Ive paid 5 times that in London for average food! This was simply amazing quality food!
The lunch time fare was also pretty good... but honestly the Italian on site and the main free dinner and breakfast were not really very good.

For 20quid however you can go on a round trip personal taxi to Hurghada and go to Hard Rock cafe or McDonalds if you must. The taxi will wait for you for two hours and then bring you back! Door to door service with Hard Rock in between!

Now the Water Park .. on site 12 slides .. fabulous... brilliant .. my son spent hours each day just playing on these .. Clean, safe, lifeguards everywhere themed as a giant castle and just a great time (yes for me too!). I cant think of one in the UK anything like this good and that includes Alton Towers et al.

Rooms .. huge, clean (we had a two bedroom family room) Pay the extra and get that its means private time for grown ups on the terrace and bed time for kids .. thats lacking on many holidays! Room was cleaned everyday (not always well as I think the cleaners thought a half drunk bottle of flat coke meant we hadnt finished and wanted it later - but day 6 we had a row of them that really needed taking away! ha) Mini bar stocked daily with soft drinks and endless more if you want.

Hotel - its huge. Open giant areas, 600 rooms, and when we were there only 15% occupied and that by Russians and Germans (who seem to not care about the food and just eat anything and drink more!) Great sense of space and in fact it took 5minutes walk just from reception to our room! From the water park to reception must be a good 300m ...

Sister hotel Serenity Beach, is what it says - beach hotel. Beach great lots of space food here was better but hotel was busier. Pools here lovely and although less of a feeling of space actually the hotel is bigger and busier.

Entertainment team .. TOP TOP CLASS PEOPLE! always happy, always willing to play with the children, always chatting and doing whatever they could to help the families there. Adriano and his team just amazing!

Weather - again not really down to the hotel but 24 - 28 each day .. t shirts and shorts at night! for us Brits in the middle of winter --- perfect!! Clear skies all day and pleasant warm at night. Not sure Id manage in June at 40 degrees!

Wifi - well that forced me to chill which the wife loved but did drive me mildly nuts for the first few days!

Trip out of hotel ..... We did do a snorkel trip on one day and enjoyed that immensely, it really is like swimming in a giant fish tank!

Shopping ... grrrrrrr.. haggling is fun for about ..erm... 30seconds! and quite how anyone gets anything down when you can discuss the price of a watch for an hour if you want! ... ok so there are some good things to buy but boy it can be hard work!

Hurghada ... got to be honest we didnt really bother with it and the fact that we were in middle of no where did not bother us at all as the hotel was so good although next time we will get to teh marina and possibly try the food there.

Summary ... would do it again (and will) ........ dont go expecting not to spend anything even if it says all inclusive ... take snacks, crisps, breakfast bars or even sweets.
Take sun cream LOTS ..Take something to do on the plane - 5 and half hours in small cramped seat with zero leg room is not best fun. Leave your prejudice at home and just go with it.. these people are desperate for tourists as the industry has been decimated so go now before the rest of the world figures out what a brilliant family holiday you can have there!

Dont expect perfection and you wont be disappointed but expect a FABULOUS FAMILY HOLIDAY and you'll be completely amazed!!

Thanks for a great wonderful holiday - and if you read this Elizabeth or Ali - then see you soon! And Adriano - Sam has written a story for a school project where the hero .. from ancient Egypt is called "Adriano".

Room Tip: Choose family room with two bedrooms. If you dont get one ask... they are well worth a few quid extr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 11 February 2013

It's perfect for the kids especially in the summer time. My husband and I had I great time watching the kids have fun. The beach is beautiful, but becareful not a lot of people there don't speak English. And let's just say the food was "different". After all we had a great time and are looking forward to visitng again soon. The service was outstanding! I wonder why they're so empty though, because it's an amazing hotel. I give this hotel a thumbs up!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Nicki F
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Arrived here they said they had no record of our booking, then got room key in envelope with name on. Half the slides not open, same with the rides! Hardly any English people here, hotel is virtually empty. Most things closed. Food appalling, lived on bread rolls all week. Being honest I would never come back but maybe it is ok in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2013
12  Thank Screamer1965
Reviewed 23 January 2013

we have just came back after spending a week at this fantastic hotel we stayed in room 5225 we arrived on the 15-1-13 and could not fault one thing about it fun city is the place to go the children had a great time and were entertaind by amazing anamation team adrian,adriano,and all the others a big thankyou to them two who couldnt do enough for are boys they really went out ov there way to make the kids holiday one to remember all ov the waiters barmen chefs pool attendents were so nice with us all to many to metion mr ali mohamad manager ov the resrants was amazing with us and really looked after us so well such a lovely man all of the food was delicous and especally the japanese everything was great could not ov asked for any more i would go back anytime to this amazing hotel

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank carla s
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I have just returned from this hotel 21-12-12 from a 10 day holiday and i can honestly say the hotel is a lovely place to go however it just had to many faults in my opinion.

Rooms are spacious i stayed in room 5230 which was a family room and this was cleaned every day and the cleaner who we had did a good job we left a tip each morning as we cannot fault lovely guy.

Food is good however very repetitive. The waitors do a excellent job and are very friendly.

Resort is miles from nowhere and i mean miles. Taxi to hurgurda will cost £20 return which is cheap for a half hour each way trip but soon adds up if you want to go shopping etc. I would advise you if you do go to this place make sure you do take egyptian currency. Ive been to sharm 5 times and never had a fault with changing money in the hotel at reception. However this place will not change your money. You need to change it from a cash machine which is in the other hotel and thats if it is working. My own fault but i have always changed my money in egypt and not in the uk and i never new this. I would also point out that if you do get a taxi you will get dropped off in some back street the shop itself is called ramses where the owner will want you to go in his shop. He then warns you about the dangers of the back road shops and to stay clear of them and to keep on the main roads. And to make sure i kept hold of my 7 year old child as there could be a possibility that some one would grab her and demand money with a knife and this was due to the fact people was poor and the situations going on. My 14 year old daugther wanted to go back to the hotel. I carried on and went shopping and the only problem i had i refused to go down some back road shop and was called english blood people i ignored and walked on. The place itself is full of russians and germans and i never met another english couple or person while i was there. You will get constantly asked why no english come here. Hurgurda itself i enjoyed shopping there and most shop keepers are very friendly and i never seen any trouble what so ever there so it is safe and as mentioned earlier dont take the shop keepers advise to much to heart as i think it was abit of a scaremonger but just be cautious.

Hotel. The reason i give this a average score is this place is not a all inclusive what so ever. There is a english bar however you pay in there for your drinks. This is the same as some other places. The fun fair which consists of around 8 rides you have to wait to go on them as there is only 2 people operating all the rides so be prepared to wait. You pay for tickets by filling in a sheet of paper and you pay at the end of your holiday when you check out. The costs of these are £1 each for a couple of minutes. The slides are again operated by a few people so not all are open at the same time you have to wait till they close one side down to go on to the other which i think is pretty poor. Whether this changes in the summer season i dont know i would like to think it does.

If you are after a relaxing holiday and dont mind paying the extras or you dont want to leave the resort and not having no english people there then this is the place for you. Russians and german people this hotel is made for. This wasnt a problem for me but i did feel out off place some days i was there. Weather was great for this time of year however 10 days at this place was to much for me and sadley was looking forward of coming home. I think now if i had looked at the reviews which there isnt many i should of known why english people havant gone there. When you look at sharm and see hundreds of reviews on hotels compared to this one. Egypt i love the place so i tried here and sadly wasnt impressed with it and i will never return here.

Good hotel Not all inclusive be prepared to pay extras have a great holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
#3 of 30 in Makadi Bay
Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort
Jaz Makadi Saraya Resort
#2 of 30 in Makadi Bay

Been to Serenity Fun City? Share your experiences!