“Worst hotel I've ever been to!”
Review of Serenity Fun City

Serenity Fun City
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I've ever been to!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Me and my boyfriend only get 2 weeks in a year to go on holiday together and this year it fell between the end of september and beginning of october. We understood the situation in egypt at the moment with all the propaganda but knew that all this was 100s of kilometres away and knew that for the heat we wanted and the holiday we wanted - egypt was the place to go!

We booked up from the 23rd sept - 5 oct in SERENTIY MAKADI HEIGHTS and were NOT informed of the hotel change AT ALL! Not even upon arrival! We would not have known that we were in Fun city had we not got speaking to the only other english couple there.

Our flights was disrupted by some young, loud mouthed english family who had too much to drink and thankfully upon landing the airport security we there immediately. But thats about it, the airport staff, security everything was so laid back and slow - I wont travel to hurghuda again soley for the sake of not having to pass through that airport again.

After we had paid £30 english pounds for our visas (£15 each) without choice or say in the matter we were hurdled through to passport control where there were people who appeared to be working but looked no different to someone off the street! Dressed in normal clothes hollaring at me 'passport passport!' How was I supposed to know i had to show my passport to someone who looked like a traveller?!

Transfers - We waited outside the main doors of the exit whilst A2B transfers tried to get everyone together...what a joke. No one knew where we were supposed to be, there were multiple men running round and asking us the same questions we had been asked already by the other 4 men and finally after being directed to our bus a bloke helped with my suitcase 'how lovely!' i thought...after we got to the bus he slummed down my suitcase and asked for money. I had no choice - he wouldn't leave until i rooted through my purse and found a pound coin.

HOTEL
Upon arrival the hotel looked lovely but ghostly as there was not one person around except the bus boy and the receptionist. The receptionist handed us paper work to fill out without saying a word, or cracking a smile; not exactly a warm welcome! he then gave us ULTRA ALL INCLUSIVE bands and told us we had been given a free upgrade, i assumed this was because it was so quiet.

The bus boy took us to our room which was about a 10 minute walk away from the reception passing empty rooms on the way...why were we being put so far away from everything if there was no one else here? Surely it would make sense to the room those few couples/families who were here in the same corridor? Apparently not!

Luckily we were roomed next to an english couple, just us in a empty corridor about 10 minutes away from anything. Why? Why was us english pushed away from everything and anything happening in the hotel and huddled together? Coincidence or discrimination? After leaving us here with our bags given a £5 tip he smiled and left.

We tried to settle in and get comfortable but we didnt feel comfortable here at all so we went to explore.

The ultra fast high speed wifi in non existent! If you want wifi you must sit on the couches at reception and in no way at all is it high speed.

FOOD
Only 1 of all the restaurants was open. 1 - the buffet.
Breakfast - omelettes, toast, scambled eggs and plastic sausages. If you don't mind eating egg on toast for 12 nights you'll be ok but we certainly wasn't.
Lunch - most was carried over from breakfast, the hams and cheese were dried and curling at the edges where they were so old.
Dinner - a bit more choice of hot foods, thank god but can honestly say I didn't enjoy any of it - and im not a fussy person!

DRINKS
All inclusive?! Yeah - you need to be with the size of the drinks they give you, either in a 60ml plastic cup or a chipped and dirty rotten glass!
All coke, fanta, sprite ect was not real stuff - cheap and diluted. Horrible.
Beer was occasionally cold but the majority of the time, warm - hot and flat.

Service was totally 100% discriminating - the russians at the hotel were getting table service and a smile was us 4 english people together on table were not even looked at, even when we went to the bar to get our own drinks the bar man always served and talked with the russians before looking our way and asking what we wanted.

After looking forward to much to our holiday and clearly getting our hopes up we were really let down and disappointed. After only 2 days! Miserable, boring and dull days we changed our hotel for the additional price of £250 which we struggled out our pockets and we had already spent more than we wanted to come to this 5* hotel! (pffft)

I was so so upset and saddened by this hotel, the service EVERYTHING was not want you expect. I would sincerely advise everyone to steer clear of this hotel! Oh another thing is, on top of everything we were 45 minutes away from hurghuda so even if we wanted to go out of the hotel it would cost us another £50 in cab fares!!

I forgot to say - when we spoke to our rep on the first morning we explained that all this had happened in just 1 night and how nothing was open, everything was shut, the discrimination we were receiving act. and after speaking to the receptionist all he had to say was that 'but he said everything is open...but he said your being silly - there is no discrimatnion...but he said they gave you ultra - inclusive as a compensation...' bla blabla.

The ultra all-inclusive thing was a joe...we had a list in our room that listed all the extra things ultra AI people get such as, 1 free shisha per person, a 30 minute massage act. we took 1 shisha and then we were told we had to pay for it because we didnt pay for ultra AI ... it was just a gesture so that we could take drinks untill 2am...2am?! We were in bed by 9 for both nights we stayed there due to boredom and misery!

Worst holiday of my life, terrible terrible terrible!

Room Tip: just stay away!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ashleigh C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
rotherham
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I really don't no where to start but here goes I travelled here on 27th of August with my family havering my original hotel cancelled due to it being closed this was all inclusive omg what a joke me and my husband lived on bread and butter for 10days all the restaurants were closed the snack bars in the day were closed all what was available was some fries which were very hard and not cooked properly the food in the main diner was disgusting it was the same thing everyday with very little to choose from hence the bread and butter the drinks were served by yourself in a tiny plastic cup the fizzy pop was a very cheap watered down cola no international brands of spirits if you wanted a cocktail you at to pay for them if you wanted orange juice you at to pay for it at breakfast you get a powdered surgery version if you go to the so called nite club you have to pay for all drinks there is no waiter service at this hotel you have to get your own not once in all our stay did any waiter ask if we needed anything the tables were not set up the the ice cream is another joke it starts at 3in the afternoon an you get 1spoon full in a plastic cup the waterpark is amazing it's just a pity it wasn't open like everything else the crazy river was closed the funfare was only open for couple of hours in the evening there is no entertainment here what's so ever we had nothing to do at all but go to bed at 9 to watch tv there was no daytime entertainment we couldn't go to the beach as the sister hotel was closed and that's where the beach is and there was no refreshments or food provided the rooms are shabby we kept on havering power cuts in all of the hotel the only decent member of staff was the receptionist the rest of the staff are rude and not interested in the English as for the manager he is the most unprofessional arrogant unhelpful man Iv encountered I actually cried on this holiday as did other people this hotel is an absolute disgrace and insult to us people who saved all year for us to have been treated this way everyone involved sending us here Thomas Cook , and the foreign office shame on you all I have never experienced anything like it please please do not go to this hotel stay well away

Room Tip: There isn't one
8 Thank michelle v
sheffield
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Been back a week now and just found out that the cleaner at Fun city broke in to our safe and managed to clone our cards and take £3200. He even set the direct debit up in his own name.
Really dirty place and one i won't be going to again. I tried to swap hotels 2 weeks before but Thomas cook said it was their best hotel and they had no complaints on record. They said i wasn't allowed to change hotels. They rang me back on the 19th of August to tell me that they had spoken to the rep in Hurghada. They said that problems existed but they were in hand.
Obviously Thomas cook were aware of the problem but still chose to send UK holiday makers to the resort.
I could sit here all day telling you how bad the hotel was. Most of the other comments cover my opinion on no fun city.
Thomas cook have offered £300 cash or £650 voucher. Please remember that all the British guest complained about the hotel to the rep. We even saw a visit by the Thomas Cook area manager who was disgusted.
Thomas Cook say the holiday is made up (cost wise) of 60% flight and 40% holiday. The amount they have offered me for a family of 5 is disgusting.
i was sick to death of been hassled on a daily basis by lucky lucky men trying to sell me a submarine trip etc around the pool. A trip to the shops in the complex was hectic too. The shop keepers expected to haggle but got to the point of been aggressive.
The Hotel was closing down around us as we sun bathed. The slides were in operation for roughly an hour each day if we were lucky. The big selling point for the hotel is the slides. My 3 kids were gutted that they couldn't go on them.
This place needs taking out of the brochure for 2014. Thomas cook Knew about the problems and still sent us.

5 Thank Andy C
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I booked this Hotel back in December to trave 13/8/13 for 2 weeks for a family of 5 (2 Adults and 3 children, 14, 8 and 5) We booked a family room and and paid just over £4000 to stay here. Which for us a tremendous amount of money and dont go abroad every year and this particular hotle looked to have everything we needed.

There wasnt many reviews when i booked and i thought its a Thomas Cook "Aqua Mania" its got to be good. Then mixed reviews started and i thought its only people who have a bad experience that write these and said i would get to concerned as we are not usually hard to please and i wasnt expecting a 5* luxary holiday but wanted something for my 4k!

Thomas Cook you need to sort out your planes to Egypt, I have flew with First Choice for to Turkey before and the entertainment etc was a 100% better. There were no TVs in the backs of the seats so kids were not very well entertained and the TV monitors flickered and stopped working and after paying £2 each for adapters for them to be crackling (not just on mine either).

Eqypt Airport - Luckily we managed to be near the front of the queues for the VISA's if we hadn't it would have been a whole other story.
We were charged £13 each - and they only wanted English money. But this is not really needed unless you go to Cairo etc so you shouldnt have to pay it its a lot extra added to you so called "all Inclusive Holiday"

When we went to get our cases my daughters was destroyed which wasnt a good start and when we eventually wheeled all our cases to the coach (which was a trek) the driver wanted £1 a case just to load them on the coach - i had no english left and i felt scared having not being able to give this but why should i have to pay! Then he wouldnt leave until someone changed his coins for a note.

Our Coach was full and we were all going to the same hotel which meant the transfer wasnt too bad.

Check in was OK as far as check ins go but there was a lot of paper work to fill out which is time consuming escpecially when you have tired kids on tow.

We eventually got to our room it looked like the family before had just left, not cleaned very well at all - smears up mirrors doors, dirty bedding and floor not swept or mopped and the rug was disgusting. We also had no water or drinks in our fridge. I had to go to reception and complain - This should not happen in my opinion - we didnt arrive until 11.30pm so pleanty of time for rooms to be cleaned and re stocked considering that the hotel was not full.

Breakfast was - well what i expected to be honest if you wanted toast and egg everyday your fine - i didnt bother after the first but thats me

Welcome meeting - Musaffa - was nice - but i didnt agree with being told that if you tip the cleaners they will do a proper job of your room and make towel decs - ive paid 4k my room should be cleaned properly. However i did tip because i wanted my room nice - i tipped £5.00 and my room looked even worse - i tipped £5 again hoping that would change and no - we never had any towel decs made, had to get our own toilet roll from the main toilets, beds were not made properly and was not swept or mopped. This caused ants on the 2nd floor balcony because it was not swept out. I did complain on several occassions about the room but nothing was done.

Because it was quiet we had no problems finding sun beds and they were comfy. The weather was lovely up to 50 degrees at one point but because of the breeze you couldnt tell. That was nice.

Snack bars were not too bad the first few days to a week but only served pizza and chips and koffta which my husband found a big hair in which put us off and the latex gloves they used were full off sweat which made us gag.

There were loads of snack bars but they were closed for the 2 weeks we were there - i wouldnt have booked if i had known this. Pizza for 2 weeks is too much.

Drinks - They were awful and warm apart from the beer - that was cold - the only thing i like was the diest coke as it was out of the bottle but they ran out of that. If you wanted water you wasnt given a bottel you had to use a water cooler - which was warm to boilng water because its left in the sun.

The icecream was nice but you queue up for a spoonful :/

The Itilian a la carte was nice and was in with the allinclusive but we had a nightmare trying to book. Then when we eventually got in for our anniversary it was dead in there. We managed to eat there twice.

The BBQ place was ok but its in the pool snack bar area which put me off because it smelt of stale beer (vinegar smell). My lad burnt his hand on the hot plate and he eventually got given a dirty wet cloth to put on it. Grrrr!

The pool was nice - but someone poo'd in there and it took them hours to remove it and never closed the pool to clean it - in fact i never seen them test the water the whole time i was there.

The aqua park - was alright but you have to go down on rings that are heavy so my kids could go on there own which was a pain carrying them up all the stairs. You cannot wear t shirts in the pool either which is bad considering how hot it gets.

You get mithered to hell by people selling trips and massages - they really spoil the holiday.

The men that work there - you would think they had never seen women before - they are constintly hounding you whether you are with your husband or not. This again spolis the holiday.

We couldnt go on any trips whilst we was there because of the trouble which made the hotel seem like a prision :(

The last day - we were allowed to keep roon with TC till 3pm they wanted 12 euros pp to keep till 5pm - we were also told that the all inclusive bands would be until we leave - but we ended up getting chased rould with a pair pf sissors to get them off ... eventually with all of us compaining we eventually got them back and hour before we left.

I will would not reccommend this hotel or TC to anyone after this and i really regreat saying this.

14 Thank nikhew1982
lverpool
Reviewed 9 September 2013

just returned from the worst holiday I have ever had..... hotel is falsely advertisd and no fun atall...
the management are a joke and not interested in their clients. food is appalling and facilities are closed.
do not book this hotel.
water park closed as not enough life guards to run it
allarcarte restraunts closed
poolside snack bars closed
drinks spiked
poo r entertainment for adult and children
theft from rooms
drinks served in small plastic cups
children not allowed to wear tshirts in pool
no day time advertisement
fridge not restocked on a daily basis a advertised
poor lighting in hotel grounds / when it wasn't having numerous powercut
they even turned the free wifi off
no outside phone line
harassment over trips
just don't go

Room Tip: just don't waste your mony
10 Thank stella j
west sussex
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just returned from one of the most horrible holidays in my life. Be carefull if you have teenage girls as some staff are not beyond trying to do things to them. On our stay the bar men tried to spike drinks and even touch girls inappropriately. Security and police had to be called, yet the management did not seem to care about what their staff were up to.
The acomodation was poor, the food poor, and after being there one night Thomas Cook holiday makers kicked up such a riot they were all moved, leaving holiday makers who booked independently just stranded. Book with a reputable travel agent and not on line through the internet, as they leave you stranded in hell, and will not do anything about it. The staff are sexual predators and lucky enough these were caught in time, but next time one parent may not be so lucky.
I know that some people read these reviews and think well it cannot be that bad, but if you plan to go there with teenage girls please keep a close eye on them...
Also note they say all inclusive, but far from it. They charge for drinks in certain bars and charge for the rides too... There is so much more that could be said, but the only point I wanted to get accross is BE CAREFULL

Room Tip: At another Hotel
7 Thank plumbermanWestSussex
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Fun city.... It's in the name of the hotel! NO FUN!!!

I'll start by sayin that this was the worst holiday I have ever had, Thomas cook should be thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by their " new addition". Management need a wake up call and should step out from behind their desk!

The current unrest in Egpy was of great concern to myself and to other families traveling there, but Thomas cook assured us that there was no problem within the hotel, or Hurghada. How wrong could they have been.

After traveling with my husband and 4 year old son we just wanted to eat dinner, have a quick look around and go to bed ready to hit the Aqua park... The room was not what we had booked and had to argue with reception to be moved, my son was not sleeping on a camp cot for the week... And I'm married, I expect to share the same bed as my husband, we ended up with 3 separate beds!
Safe in the room had been left locked by previous guest... They wanted me to wait 48 hours to get it sorted... Yet again and to Argue with them to fix it there and then...and I was right to do so, as our room was " broken into" they use a key card system and everyone seems to have access to the rooms... Our bags had been gone through, clothes.. And my sons toy story " woody " was stolen, they refused to get the police, Thomas cook then told me I needed a translator to visit the police, then another rep said they advised not visiting the police ....

We had English guests tell us within hours of being there the hotel was terrible... the rep was no help. I questioned why the water park was only open for 3 hours a day.... After all myself and other families chose this hotel because of its aqua park.... I have a 4 year old child who is powerd by the Duracell bunny... He was devastated the slides were closed... We had no wave pool.. No rapids to go on... Limited inflatables to use on the slides.... The stairs up where coverd in bird poo.. Dirty and no safe!

I had members of staff several times try and take my son by the hand and walk of with him.... I'm lucky I had one child with me...

The pools were not cleaned, they were discussing, not tested, a film sat on top of the pool, dead bugs, cups and food on the bottom of the pool.... Broken times and botched up repairs, grates broken, it was a walking disaster!

The food was poor... Under cooked or over cooked, bad choice for children, no hygiene policies for staff to follow and cups that even my 4 year old found to small... I'm 35 I don't need to drink out of a small plastic cup.. Tables not cleaned down properly, constantly taking items away whilst trying to eat... Eticit is something they need to learn....

All facilities closed down, all restaurants less one were open... And it was not big enough to accommodate all guests who were there... Some were told to eat their dinner on the grass out side!!!
By this point tensions were high, and the Thomas cook rep seemed over whelmed! He quote " thank you for seeing me as a person. Not just a Thomas cook rep" working in the hotel industry myself, you are the face of the company you work for, you ned to keep calm and collected and not let guests see your stressed!! We were spoken down to, patronised and insulted, treated like dirt and the whole experience was unpleasant. Thomas cook emergeny helpline... I phoned 4 times before someone answered... And then It was limited English!

In the end i called the British embassy... Who thank god were great! All Thomas cook guests were moved out of fun city to a near by resort... But sadly not an aqua park!! The whole purpose of booking fun city was for its aqua park! We lost 3 days due to stress and not being able to use the facilities!!

All English who moved seemed a lot happier in the new hotel, but what a way to start your Holliday! I was more shocked to find out that once in the new hotel Thomas cook still failed to tell those who were flying out to fun city that it had very limited facilities... Why??? It's bad customer service and damn right shocking! You need to tell your paying guests if their chosen hotel is no longer available, not once they sit on the coach and are given 5 minutes to make their mind up....

Kids club???? No English staff and very poor conditions!!!

Wifi was cut off... Why was this?

The hotel clearly didn't want to run any of it's facilities and provide us with the service we expected... But we're happy to take our money!!!!!

We have retuned with items missing, tainted memories, and now 2 out of 3 of us have been to visit the doctor with medical problems!!!

Would I use Tomas cook again??? No... Would I visit Egpty? No.... I like everyone else who booked with Thomas coo put our trust in such a well known comapany we paid a lot of money for a family holiday for thomas cook to lie, be deceitful and rip everyone of us off... They showed no compassion for those of us who had children and the stress it caused!
I would avoid this hotel at every cost! You'd be better off booking Skegness for a week, at least you know what your getting!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Makadi Bay
Serenity Makadi Beach
Serenity Makadi Beach
#12 of 30 in Makadi Bay

Been to Serenity Fun City? Share your experiences!