“what can i say? absolutely amazing holiday!!!”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“what can i say? absolutely amazing holiday!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

Just got back from our honeymoon at makadi bay sunrise, both myself my husband and our little boy who is 3 loved this place, they upgraded our room and put wine and cake in our room to welcome us and got us breakfast in bed and a reservation in the italian a la carte restaurant to celebrate our honeymoon.

I cannot fault this hotel, the breakfast buffet is fab with a chef cooking fresh breakfast to your taste, the lunch and dinner buffet is good but bear in mind there are lots of international foods that are both weird and wonderful. Make sure you head to the victoria pub early each morning to book the a la cartes the food in there is excellent. The italian and mediteranian are lovely and the asian is amazing (i think the nicest meal ive ever had), they have also just opened a steakhouse so don't miss out on these. The buffets are good and lots of fun (although a little chaotic) but i really recommend the restaurants.

The staff couldnt do more to help us and they did not expect tips but were very grateful when we did tip them. Staff were very helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble. We are desperate to book this hotel again thats how fabulous our holiday was! There are lots of reviews that slate the food, all i can say is we had no problems in that area no bad stomachs or anything, however we did eat sensibly and were carefull not to overdo the foreign foods.

The pools are all lovely and very clean and all have lifeguards lots of kids pools and the slides are on for most of the day. Entertainment wise there is a show every night and all day the animation team are trying to get people involved in beach games and aerobics etc but in the same way they dont mither you if you just want to relax, there are discos, karaoke and the thomas cook kids clubs are really good too!

This hotel is fantastic we had the best holiday we have ever had and will be going back !

11 Thank sjscjw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Manchester,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

We have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. Myself (34) my mum (72) and my girls aged 3 and 10. firstly this isnt our 1st trip to Egypt so we can honestly compare this hotel to others we have stayed in. We know how the country works and thats why we return because we love the people and the place.

I have read some not so complementary reviews over the last few days and I can understand why some people dont like this hotel or indeed Egypt. if you want McDonalds and sky tv and bacon and english food and standards stay in the Uk or at least Europe. Eygptian people are low paid and over worked but they always have a smile and a high 5!

Right thats my soap box put away

Check in is fast and straight forward. Your met by "mini Mo" spinning his tray and passing out drinks and cool flannels. You are given your registation card on the coach to fill in so that speeds things up

The hotel its self is vast, but nicely all flat. BGood in your not so steady on your feet or have a pram/trolley to push.Plenty of space between sun loungers and plenty of them. I didnt have to get up at stupid o'clock to get one near the family pool we always got 4 no problem and at a reasonable time. The pool is cold at first but you get used to it. I am yet to swim in a warm pool in Egypt so we can cope with it. Yes there are a few bits in the pool mainly bottle tops/cups/ bottle seels and the odd hair bobble. But yet again this is because some lazy people cant be bopthered to use one of the many bins provided and the wind blows them in. I saw the pool lad putting chlorine in very early in the morning so I wasnt worried. My 3 year old used the slides and invariably drank plenty of the water and she was fine the whole time. No chlorine rashes or sore eyes just very happy kids. Abo and Hassan in the pool bar looked after my kids and made sure they always had a drink. Always a smile and a high five :-)

We stayed in block 10 on the ground floor. On arrival the room had a huge bed and a single one. As there was 4 of us they offered to put another bed in but I declined as I had already emailed the hotel to ask for this layout as my youngest has a habit of falling out of bed. Again a quick polite email and we were given what we had requested.
the room was clean and big enough for us. The balcony was lovely and overlooked the pool. The air con was brilliant and the fridge worked fine. A walk in shower which was handy with the kids and my mum as it was easier to get in and out. Even mum commented on the cleanliness and coming from a retired professional cleaner that must mean something. Yes we had the odd power cut but we were informed it was an outside problem and they didnt last for long.

The resturants did get busy at 7pm for dinner. Unfortunately us english arent used to the Russians terrible manners. The resturant makes lovely deserts in fancy glasses and the Russians rush to get them first and then usually they didnt eat them. The amount of food that got wasted by the Russians was disgusting and very sad to see. But you could get a table but yes it was hectic and busy. We did use the all around the world resturant one night but my kids preffered the main buffet. We used the pool snack bars during the day and we had a variety of things. The pizza was lovely and the chicken fajita burgers were very very nice. My only critisism would be that the ice cream be avaliable at the family pool aswell as the pergola bar. In the midday heat it is a very long walk for little legs to get an ice cream.

Drinks are good. Plenty of variety and it included branded spirits and cocktails. We had a few different cocktails and they were very nice. Saody in the lobby bar made the best and they were presented just that bit nicer. He made the best pink milk for the kids ever! the evening entertainment is low key as it always is in this country. However Mizzo and the rest of the team made it fun for the little ones. The hokey cokey and such like and my youngest loved every minute.

The beach is good by Egypt standards. I would say to take beach/sand shoes with you as the sand can be a little rough on young feet and the sand is soft in the water and you dont know what is lurking. The sea is shallow so can be paddled in and the sand was ok for the odd sandcastle. We went dont late afternoon as it was just too hot for us during the day.

We didnt use the spa but my daughter had her hair braided in the hair salon. All good. We were approached around the pool as you usually are. But if you said no that was it, they would stop to say hello to my youngest or just chit chat but they didnt push anything.

My advice would be to take some mosquito bands/repellent as they are a little frisky at the minute and my kids did get bitten. The pharmacist made us something up which took the itch out and worked but it was pricey. This is something the hotel really has little control over. So this isnt a dig at the hotel just advice if your going, they have never bothered us before but for some reason they have this time.

Be warned at the airport on arrival. The Thomas cook "reps" can be very intimidating and quite abrupt about where you purchase your visas. This is something I am taking up with Thomas Cook and again not a reflection oin the hotel.

All in all we had a fantastic time. We enjoyed it so much I am already booking to return in August, something we never do but it was just perfect. It ticks all the boxes for us and believe me we have tried quite a few hotels in Egypt but now we really do feel like it is a "welcome home"

1 Thank salslop
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Always lots of sun but thats pretty much it now some staff very good and deserve to be far better paid but Hotel has gone downhill .Food standards pretty poor - Shortage of supplies absolutely scandalous but most of all the Thomas cook input is dire and the Sunrise chain would be advised to ditch them .Will not be returning ,far to many reasons than i can be bothered listing .This hotel used to be top notch i have been 3 times ,now it sucks.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank birdyManchester
west midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I read reviews for this hotel before we flew out and was really looking forward to it.... came back quite disappointed really, but can't say everything was bad.

Firstly, if you are going here, don't let Thomas Cook con you at the airport into getting your visa from them.... it's cheaper and there is no queue at the kiosk titled "Banque". You walk throgh the doors and will get dragged by "aparant" Thomas Cook reps to queue in these huge queue's where you will get charged £15 each. If you turn left when you have walked in there are kiosks, you can obtain exactly the same for £10 each and no queue! It's a no-brainer!

Rooms are nice.... we were a family of 4 and thought we had booked a family room, but instead got a standard room with just 3 single beds! The kids were expected to top and tail! (11 and 6) I requested another bed or a bigger room but was told a bigger room would be £30 a night! So got another bed squeezed in to our one room apartment.... needless to say, it was a little cramped and there was NO privacy what-so-ever.

Pools were ok, nice big size, but not very clean - this is where we all think we picked up our stomach bugs!

Food was average..... main restaurant was crazy with all the rude russians! The doors would open at 7pm and 100's of them would be waiting outside to pile in!

The 2nd night there I was up all night with sickness and diarrhea... my partner thought it was heat stroke because it was so hot, but the next day him and my 6 year old had the same. Some friends we were holidaying with also had this and on the last day my 11 year old got it - he was so bad when we got home he missed 3 days of school because he had constant diarrhea! I mentioned it to the rep, but he said it was probably just the change in diet, air tempertaure etc. Everyone you spoke to in the hotel had it. We thought it might have been the food, but had all been eating different things, so the only thing we could come up with was that the bacteria was being spread in the pools. Only once did I see the pools being cleaned, there were always bits floating around in it and foreign bodies on the floor. If you smelled your swimsuit after swimming there was no smell of chlorine.... they were just dirty pools.

The beach isn't as nice as it looks on the pictures.... very rocky and the sand was like grit.

Now for the good points....

Most of the staff were very pleasant, couldn't do enough for you. If you tip them £1 they will go out of their way. Table service around the pools at night which was nice as we didn't have to queue for drinks.

Entertainment was ok and they really did try to get everyone involved.

United Brothers Photography service was BRILLIANT! They took some lovely pictures of my family and we didnt feel pressured into buying too many. Would definatetly recommend using them!

The weather was nice - there is always a breeze there, so if you are going here with children please put lots of factor 50 on them.... my 11 year old burnt his shoulders on the first day and couldn't take his top off for the rest of the holiday! Very deceiving!

The Submarine trip is worth doing.... but haggle with the bloke outside as you will get it cheaper than if you go through Thomas Cook. My kids loved it!

Room service was excellent, but when they know you are coming to the end of your holiday they keep knocking at your door askig you if your room service has been ok and pointing out it was them that had done it - basically hinting for a tip. The friends we holidayed with had one man push into her room and create a swan out of the towels on the bed while she stood in her see-through nighty having just got out of the shower!!

All in all, it wasn't a bad holiday, but it certainly wasn't my best and I would never go back. It definately doesn't deserve the 5* reputation it has and I will be contacting Thomas Cook about the illness we all had while we were there. I have holidayed all inclusive in Turkey and Tunisia at 2* and 4* hotels and found them to be much better than Sunrise Royal Makadi Resort! I definately would not recommend this hotel.

5 Thank skendawoo
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

went to sunrise may31-june7 weather was lovely .hotel was very clean cleaners worked all hours . the staff were very friendly especially memo (gives out drinks on arrival) and also mostafa in the pagola very friendly helpful etc. i went with husband and daughter. loads of food(if you dont like whats in the resturant you can always have pizza burger chips fruit cakes etc from poolside snackbar) pools very clean .had no problems at all. drinks are constantly being offered by waiters. only thing i didnt like was when you lying on the sunbeds people came round pestering you to have massages or boat trips etc but you can get a red flag from the towel place to discourage them coming to you altho sometimes that dont always work. also dont buy any gifts on the complex they are expensive wait till you get to the airport they have loads of shops and really cheap (put it this way we bought a picture onsite for 30 pounds and at the airport for the same pic it was only 5.00 also you will find that they seem to take any money for payment from you . we could use gbp euros or even egyptian pounds so no need to exchange your money as they will accept british pounds. also watch out for the guy who unloads your luggage from the coach as they expect you to pay them. we just grabbed our bags ourselves(on trip home). also when you arrive at the airport they have people inside stating they are thomas cook (apparantl;y they dont allow thomas cook rep in the airport) they tell you where to go to get your visas .we didnt go to them we went straight to the bank which is inside arrivals and got our visa there its only 10 pound from them and its about 15 from the (so called thomas cook people) but they will try to tell you that you have to go to them ,dont listen just go to bank and get it done . the only thing is at the bank they dont give you the form to fill out but when you go through the check point just tell them that they didnt give you one and they will give you a form to fill in and thats it your through then . happy holidays have fun

7 Thank kazzys1971
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

First impressions when you first walk into this resort with rose tinted glasses, looking forward to your long awaited family holiday are good. The pools are impressive, the rooms spacious, the ground tidy and lush.... But then you look past the flower and grand lobby, welcoming smiles and gestures of "Welcome home" that's when things start to go down hill dramatically.

We stayed at the Sunrise between 31 May 2010 and 7 June 2011. We were traveling to Egypt to celebrated my 40th Birthday after a rather traumatic year and the loss of my mother to Caner in August 2010. After only 72 days at the resort myself and my 8 year daughter started to feel unwell. We suffered repeated episodes of vomiting and diarrhea. The day the sickness started was my birthday, so as try to make the best of things, I tried to pull myself together as my husband had arranged a celebratory meal and a cake had been arranged by the hotel. After arriving at the restaurant, myself and my daughter started to feel even worse, after only 10 minutes my daughter and I had to return to the room where things just got worse and worse. I spent the remainder of the evening and most of the night with vomiting and diarrhea. Things got so bad with both of us that by 6 am we had called out the hotel emergency doctor. The doctor arrived to administer a rather painful injection to my daughter who screamed and cried, a concoction of other tablets and medications was then prescribed to us both.

My daughter and I continued to feel unwell and the day before our departure we notice water running down the walls of the bathroom, above, and inline with the hairdryer (below where the upstairs toilet would have been situated, we called reception, who assured us that the problem would be fixed, no one came, we called reception again as two of the lights had shorted out and I was concerned for the safety of the family. An Engineer arrived who removed ceiling tiles and pulled at a few pipes, well the muck that spirited out of these pipes was disgusting, he then carried on to pull a further lump of brown mashed up gunk from another pipe, which looked like feaces! We were assured but the manager, who had be promptly called as I went into panic, that this was not the case and that it was ONLY the air conditioning! We slept in another room that evening, but by 5am I was once again vomiting with acute diarrhea, the emergency doctor was called out again and more tablets were prescribed. I had to visit the doctor again just before departing for the airport to have the same (and my I add very painful) injection that my daughter was give 2 days earlier, to enable me to fly home. I then spent part of the flight sitting with the cabin crew as I began to shake uncontrollably, feeling light headed and sick.

The hygiene standards at this hotel are very low, from what I noticed, and I'm sure I missed a lot. Bird poo on the backs of restaurant chairs and cushions, lack of soap in toilets, stench of sewage as the grounds were watered, lack of food utensils to handle food, recycling of food from lunch to dinner to name a few!

On returning to the UK we visiting A&E who have given a clinical diagnosis of food poisoning, I am waiting on results of further test. I have also been advised by a solicitor that some of the MEDICATION that was prescribed are BANNED IN THE UK and EUROPE!

4 Thank Carin51
Chorley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I have recently returned from the Sunrise with my husband & 2 children. I have to say it is a beautiful hotel, huge complex, great pools excellent family rooms and very clean. However i have to say we will not be returning to this hotel or in actual fact to Egypt... the food is shocking in the buffet restaurant's and as other people have said it's a fight sometimes to get a table and this is May / June god help them in July, August time it will be a joke. The food is much better in the al a carte restaurant's but you have to queue up the previous day to book one, the booking operating system works from 9.30am till 1.00pm however if you have not booked by 9.50am you have no chance of getting a table, what makes it even worse when you go into the actual restaurants most of the tables are empty, they could take far more bookings than they actually do it's ridiculous. Some of the staff are very friendly, but some are also very ignorant and rude and put the germans first in line for tables, i actually complained to management one night because the same member of staff did this to us twice in one week. I must say though that way we ended up with a restaurant booking the following night no queing !!!! We felt like heards of cattle queing up not good!!!
One of the mains reasons we booked this holiday was because of the advertisment of the kids club ( supposed to be fab ) i have to say far far from it .... i would not call it good when they can only take 16 children at anyone time due to staffing and on 1 particular day 66 children arrived!!!!! we had 4 children between our 2 families so if one off our kids were the 16th then the other 3 got turned away unbelievable... Very dissapointed to say the least. They did however have extra sweetie & chocolate parties on you could always get a place then, but your bound to when you have to pay £5 per child per party what a rip off thought kids club were included ??? oh yes out of date chocolate.
Going back to the food the choice for children is not good and very minimal, and all our party of 8 people had upset tummy's and one night my 7 year old was extremely sick all night after the food.
And ladies lock your underwear away, 2 ladies caught 2 cleaners in their room at 9.30 one night smelling there underwear...... this is TRUE. disgusting makes me feel sick.
Would we return ??? No never not just to this hotel but to Egypt aswell.

Take plenty tip money too, they ask for set amounts, cheeky gets... certainly not 5star.

Oh yes and a tip for you men if your shorts don't go over your knee's at night you will be turned away because your dress code won't be suitable bare this in mind when packing.

Room service food has to be paid for ...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 29 in Makadi Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!