“Food awful - upset stomachs, still giving the toilet a hiding now”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Food awful - upset stomachs, still giving the toilet a hiding now”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Stayed here 27 May - 10th June. Overall the holiday was good but could have been excellent. Room, and facilities were great particularly for the kids. Was worried about the food reports but still booked thinking people might be too picky and surely there must be some food we liked amongst the large buffet. How wrong we were. Food was awful, it really lets the place down. Also with having two young kids we found the restaurant opening time of 7pm was way too late. We all had upset tummys at some stage which still hasn't settled 100% now. Every family I spoke with all had the same symptoms, something seriously needs to be done with the hygiene standards and the food quality in general.
Kids pool with Octopus slide was filthy, but other pools seemed okay. Would go back to Egypt but not this hotel. Best meal I had all holiday was in Burger King on the way home at the airport.

3 Thank Mark_Jane_Max_Jas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
dianesher
Reviewed 20 June 2011

3rd time at this hotel and still love it, staff are great the service is great so child friendly as a woman with 2 children on my own i was a bit worried but didnt need to be we all had a great time, the animation were great and done some good shows, the dj in disco is brilliant , can not wait to go back again

5 Thank dianesher
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sunrise Royal Makadi for my birthday in June and had the most fabulous time. The resort is beautiful, very clean and well maintained which cannot be easy given its size. It is beyond me why anyone could give this resort such a poor review as I have just read on Trip Advisor so have decided to do my own review. This resort prides itself on its service and deservedly so.

Our room was anything but dark and dingy as has been suggested. While it was not a large room it was perfectly adequate for two people with larger than average wardrobe and drawer space, great for me as I always take too many clothes! The fridge is regularly filled with water every day which you can get all over the resort actually. Our bathroom was amazing, all granite and Egyptian marble - I wish I could have my bathroom at home designed like this. We were on second floor of 2 storey block which I would definitely recommend as our balcony was in sun the entire day with a stunning view over the gardens which was so peaceful after sitting around the pool all day.
The pools are exceptionally clean and are maintained this way constantly. We used the main pool the most but there is a family pool with slides that were a good laugh for the big kid in you and also a couple of smaller pools.
The staff, I cannot praise highly enough as I have never experienced anyone so friendly and helpful, they literally cannot do enough for you. This extends to the waiters, management, gardeners, pool staff, room cleaners and everyone. They love the fact that the English are a friendly nation and like to shake hands and have a chat.
The main restaurant is a bit chaotic when you first go in as is really busy and you have no idea what to do. We were fortunate that a waiter took us to a table and from then on whenever we went in there he seems to anticipate our ever need. His name was AMR and his service to us was above and beyond anything I have experienced before. He would always make sure there was a table for us and would remember what drinks we had. Nothing was too much trouble and he really made us feel as thought we had a very personal service in the hustle and bustle of the main buffet. Thank you very much Amr, you were a star!!
The A La Carte restaurants are all fantastic also and very relaxing. There was an Italian, Asian, Mediterranean , Steak House and Bedouin. I did not care for the Steak House as this is not my type of food but the others were great. If you want an authentic experience I would definitely recommend the Al Arabia Bedouin restaurant. You sit on round leather cushions on the floor around a table in tents, it is absolutely brilliant and food is fab. The service is as in all the restaurants is second to none.
The only complaint we had was with an excursion we took with Thomas Cook. The Shop and Rock to Hurghada is a complete RIP-OFF. You are taken to a souvenier tat shop at 7.30 ish and then abandoned to until 9.00 when you are told to meet to go for your food. You are basically left to walk up and down a street of little shops selling fake t shirts and such like. The food at The Hard Rock Café is not great either, you have to choose from a set menu and pay for you own drinks. The food was mediocre at best and I was sorry that we paid £38 for this excursion when I couls have eaten at one of the fabulous restaurants at the Makadi. What I would suggest is save your money as this is definitely not what it is made out to be.
We also did a trip to Luxor which was amazing if you like ancient Egyptian history. You go around the Karnack Temple, Valley of the Kings and other temples and statues, also an alabaster factory and Papyrus museum plus a boat trip up the river Nile. This is definitely a packed day but very tiring as you leave at 5.50am and do not return until 9.00pm. A lot of the day involves being outside in the baking heat during the middle of the day which was a bit too hot. It is worth it however as the highlight was Tutankhamon’s Tomb which I have wanted to see for ages. Forgot to mention you get a breakfast box for the journey to Luxor and you also get lunch which was great too.

Tip - everyone gets diarrhoea of varying degree of severity. My husband was quite ill with sickness and diarrhoea so I had to go to pharmacy. Our rep said we had to haggle even at the pharmacy, well this is not strictly true. After explaining symptoms you will we offered the most expensive medicine but then you just ask for something cheaper and you will be given this for a lot less.
I have one last comment to express my appreciation for the staff at this hotel which relates to my birthday. The day before a letter was under our door which stated that a cake had been reserved fro me and could I arrange to go and collect it at my convenience. I must say I was amazed as we had not mentioned it was was birthday, it seems that when they photocopy your passport that they must take note of your date of birth. The day of my birthday was spent in Luxor so I did not have time to enquire about the letter regarding a cake so I simply left it. We had gone to bed that night when we returned but then received a knock on the door at approx 10pm when housekeeping arrived with my cake - a very delicious black forest gateaux. WOW how thoughtful and it tasted fantastic!! We regularly go on holiday during my birthday and never have I had this treatment. I was truly touched.
In conclusion all I can say is this is am amazing hotel and kep this was by its even more amazing staff. Keep it up Sunrise Royal Makadi.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank robjojo22
manchester
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed here between 31May 2011 and 14 June, Me my wife and 2 children aged 7 and 3 ,
Hotel was definately 5 star one of the best we have stayed at could not fault the accomodation, only thing i was worried about is the Family room the 2 kids beds were right near the main front door with no extra security on the doors a very simple lock.
Food: Buffet was ok but chaotic catered for eastern europeans and germans very rude and pushy big queues every morning staff serving tables were terrible you would have ask three or four times for coffee tea, juice and knives and forks etc( worst i have had everyday) come to fill your coffee cup eventually when you had no cups.
Like they could not be bothered, avoid the buffet if you can Rest of the day food very plain and blands same all the time lots of stuffed vegetables, Pastry s, limited fruit.

Al a carte restaurants overall was good but not the best, again very limited choice, Got raw meat on several occasions as did our friends , which came back cooked when complaining about it.
Dont understand peoplesaying the staff were hard working always tip descent helpfull staff only found three on the entire complex that were happy for the tip and gave great service mainly around the pergola bar , smaller family pool was great pool bar service was not great.
Never been to a place where so many people were ill , spending there time in there rooms. we are not fussy we all try any food , my wife is eastern european and she found the food very poor.
My three and seven year old have never ate so many chips , bread and pizza , they dont eat pizza at all in England.

Overall
Hotel 5 star
Food 3 star max (worst we have had on any holiday in any country)
Staff apart from three that were spot on the rest didnt want to be there .
Senzo mall ( shopping centre) Dont bother Very very expensive go for for one max if your going £30 in shuttle bus
Shuttle bus was amazing Lights flashed to the music Surely not allowed even there (LoL)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank markbaxManchester
Ayrshire/Scotland
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stayed at the Sunrise Royal Makadi for two weeks at the beginning of June. Room was spotless and stayed like that during our stay. Meals were adequate in the main dining room but the a la carte option at the three restaurants was definately worth the wait in the queue each morning to book for the following day. The choice will be even better now that there are five restaurants to choose from. Italian, Asian, Mediteranean,
Beduin and Mexican = What a choice and all inclusive too - What great value. The pool areas were spotless although the main pool was cold but the sea was warmer and the fish were amazing even in shallow water. The bar staff could not have been more helpful and the service was superb. No waiting or queuing for drinks. All in all a wonderful holiday and terrific value for money. Well done SUNRISE ROYAL MAKADI.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank GordyT
Kent, UK
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Myself, my husband and 4 year old daughter had a lovely stay at the Sunrise and as we have been very lucky and stayed in hotels all over the world – I can give you a true review!

This hotel is not 5 star in western terms, but you really do get fantastic value for money.
The service was excellent and the staff couldn't go out of their way more for you. They were great with the children and a real credit to the hotel. It is well worth leaving tips for the staff, as they work 12 hour shifts and have to work six weeks to then get a week off and they still always have a smile on their face! You will not get better service in Turkey or Europe unless you pay a lot more money for your holiday!

The main restaurant was busy and noisy, but we liked the ‘round the world restaurant’, near the beach and also the Asian and Italian a la carte restaurants. Customers of Thomas Cook get the a la carte restaurants free. There is also a Mediterranean Restaurant and a Mexican opening soon. We left a good tip in the a la carte restaurants as they were excellent and well worth queering for a 7pm table. You need to book the day before for a table the next night and if you want a 7pm table, you need to get to the pub at 9am. They start taking bookings at 9.20am.

The trip with Thomas Cook to the island is excellent, we opted to leave at 9.30am for £5 extra and we got to see a lovely sunset and loads of wild Dolphins on the return boat trip back. You get all day on the island and if you wish you can go out on a boat snorkelling. The island is 5 star and the facilities excellent – lots of shady spots. You get a lovely lunch and the views are amazing. Real paradise! The boat is 5 star, with toilets etc. Don't book a boat trip from the beach guys, as you only get an hour and a half on the island. When we booked with Thomas Cook children went free.

The beach is lovely and if you walk to the left of the beach through security the next beach up you can see lots of fish. Also you can turn right on the beach and walk through lots of quite empty resorts and use their beaches and jetties to look at fish. No one ever questioned us. There is a small shopping centre a few hotels up, where you will see hedges shaped as animals and lovely gardens. Walk through this hotel to the shops.
The beach is a real plus to staying at this hotel – lovely sand and clear blue calm sea.
We were in block 14, which was central and we was happy with our room and glad to be so central to everything. The sunrise is a large resort.

Egypt is a third world Country and very comparable to countries like India and Sri Lanka - so with regards to tummy upsets you do need to be aware you are visiting a third world country. Although the hotel most of the time seemed to have good standards when it came to food. In July and August it can reach 55 in the sun – so very hot and maybe not a great time of the year to take children.

A lot of families used the German Kids Club as it was apparently better with longer opening hours and they didn’t have two days off a week and only take only 16 kids a session like the Thomas Cook club. We didn’t use the club but my daughter enjoyed the Thomas Cook Sweetie party. The mini disco ran by the German Kids club was very good and they were great with the English children too.

Hotel was 90% full and we never had a problem getting sun loungers, although if you wanted front line by the pool or on the beach then you did need to put towels out by 9am. We used to swap pools after lunch and always got sun beds.

The hotel is tired in parts deco wise, but you seem to see past this after a few days.
My only recommendation to the hotel would be to spend some money improving the children’s play park and serve ice-creams at both main pools.

Finally I would recommend this hotel, as for what you get it is great value for money.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.

19 Thank sh3333
notts
Reviewed 14 June 2011

moved rooms twice still dark and dingy could not stay food not appealing had 2 pieces bread and butter 2days untill moved to 4 star hotel which was excellent sunrise was 5 star hotel

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Iberotel Makadi Beach
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 29 in Makadi Bay
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!