“A hotel to be proud of”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We travelled to Sunrise Royal Makadi Resort on Sept 13th for two weeks and I can honestly say this hotel delivers everything you want out of a restful holiday. The flight with Thomas Cook was cramped, but we booked extra legroom, so the only problem we had was people standing within our area to stretch their legs. The transfer time from the airport was about thirty minutes so no problem there. On arrival at SRMB, we were greeted by a vast team of staff who ensured you went to your allocated room safely, though I would recommend you look out for the special one called Mohamed (see photo) for that extra special treatment. The rooms were cleaned every day and had plenty of room for the small amount of time we spent in there, all the pools were great, but we tended to stay around the family pool as we were in block 10 and so was more convenient for us.(see photo of Islam, who always had a smile and a drink ready for when we arrived). We also went down to the beach a few times and I must say that if, as previously reported, the best area for snorkeling is next door at The Fort Arabesque, then there must be a massive amount of fish life there, as I found the area around SRMB beach to have an abundance of varied fish life.
We tipped staff as and when we felt deserved and thought this worked well. All the staff were polite and served us as quickly as they could, but if you go to the Lobby Bar look out for the final two characters who I assure will go that extra mile to ensure you have a fantastic holiday. The red flag scheme seems to work well with everybody but the Spa team, but we reserved a couple of treatments and they did not bother us too much after that. We tended to use the Around the World restaurant for breakfast and lunch, as this was much quieter than the main buffet. For the evening meals we used the a la carte restaurants and whilst we were there a new one opened, The Greek, bringing the total to seven venues for a la carte, each one having different merits so I wont bore you with favorites.
At the end of our holiday, all the lobby staff and a few of the waiters came out in the searing heat to say goodbye to us, which was a really nice touch and had some of the departing women in tears, so I will say thank you to all the staff of SRMB for a truly fantastic holiday and we hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: The Brits seem to be placed in block 10, though I am sure you can request elsewhere.
2  Thank PhilipLWilson
Write a ReviewReviews (7,500)

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We arrived on 16th September for 2 weeks, we found the room was ok but a bit dark and dingy, the cleaner forgot to bring us shower gel, clean towels and soap but this didn't happen every day. There is a VIP pool with a really rude chap called Mohamed Ali, he shouted at guests to wash sand of the feet from the beach, after complaining about him the manager almost suggested I was telling lies about him. The buffet in the main building was like a bun fight and it is difficult to get a table, the round the world buffet was better but the staff were more interested in texting on their mobile phones instead of looking after customers. Half of this area was dedicated to guests for smoking.

The main pool where the animation do water polo and aerobics etc was filthy, the grout in between the tiles was black in some places and when I mentioned it to the pool staff they said they clean it every 30 minutes and it is caused by sun cream. The next day the manager came and had a look and then the staff spent 30 minutes cleaning out all the gullies and after 30 minutes from the manager going back to his desk they were all playing on their phones again.

The other eating areas, Steakhouse, this was good but the size of the steaks were about 4oz, this is outside and people smoke at this place.

Asian, the food was good apart from Doua the staff were confused we went here 3 times and on all 3 occasions we were brought food which we didn't order and start eating then someone realised there was a mistake and the took it from out table to another table even though I had had a taste.

Mexican, this was inside, no smoking, the food was average but the girl wandering around spent more time being chatted up by the male manager instead of attending to customers.

Greek, again no smoking but the food was all fish; all deep fried in the same batter and tasted the same.

Mediterranean, smoking and average food

Bedouin, outside with smoking and food was awful

Italian, food ok but the starters were very tiny, the minestrone soup was nothing like it was just vegetable, the pizza was ok so was the steak they served.

On the whole the place is huge and holds 1600 people but as there were not so many children it didn't feel too busy, there were an awful lot of rude Russians that pushed in at the buffet and bars.

The Lobby bar where Thomas Cook guests get VIP Ultra All Inclusive are supposed to get international named brand drinks included, I found that the bottles on the bar such as JB whisky did not contain the original drink, they fill it with another local brand, there is a cupboard underneath the bar where they were serving Russians that tipped well the proper drinks.

On the whole the place was ok, the gardens at the back of the property were not looked after too well, the beach is nice and while we were there they doubled the number of umbrellas and beds on the beach as some people were complaining they could not get a bed on the beach unless they got up at 6.00am.

The Spa I did not try due to a conversation with a fellow guest, they told me that one of their friends had gone for a massage and during the massage the chap in question had his arm damaged and was told it would be alright in a few days, after a couple of days he had to visit the hospital and they bandaged it up telling him it might be alright.

I got ill after a couple of days and could not stray too far away from the toilet, I would suggest not to eat any of the dips or salads at the buffet as they were the same for a few days at breakfast and lunch.

On the whole the location was nice, the food was nice but if I went to a place with the same quality and service at home I wouldn't eat there again.

I have been to Egypt on 5 other occasions and it did compare quite well to other places. However the reason for I will not go back is because of the lack of service and the poor management of the property. This place did not meet my expectations and I am very disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
8  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 3 October 2011

arrived 20/09/2011 for 10 nights, this is our second time at this hotel. First time was 2 years ago,and it was as good second time round as the first. hotel was beautiful the food at the al-a-carte restaurants was fab. service was second to none would like a special mention for Soliman and Mustfa Hassan the waiters at the pergola bar they were great looked after us during our stay nothing was too much trouble. we stayed in room 14108 the cleaner was great room was spotless so thankyou to the cleaner. Hopeing to return next year can't wait. So thankyou to everybody who made our holiday great

happy holiday maker from Wolverhampton

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dawn c
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Sorry that my review is a little late !! as we went in August.
We arrived in Hurghada to no cases !! which was my worst nightmare, very luckily they arrived much later that night, and the TC rep brought them to us at the hotel.
We checked in very smoothly infact we were greeted by Miss Piontek whom i had emailed about some requests ( nice touch ) she sorted out everything i asked of her , which i thankyou kindly. We got to choose the room we wanted ..... nice!!!
As we have been before our holiday started immediately.
By day we had a great time at the family pool and was served well by Abo , thankyou mate was great and he thought it funny when i handed him our own tumblers with our names on.
By night we ate at the Al a cartes almost every night.
We were all well during our stay although we did use the Antinal afew times as we has slight tummy but nothing major. Couldn't put my finger on what it was , but some people were ill.
We had a lovely relaxing time on our family holiday and were well looked after.
As a returning guest i would say that this hotel tries extremely hard as an all year resort and is bound to have some niggles as you cant please everyone.
We hope to return maybe 2013 and see everyone again.
A big hello to khalid in the Asian restaurant he remembered us and Ayman in the mediteranean restaurant you looked after us soo well.
keep up the good work and we look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: i asked for a room close to the amenities as my hubby is diabetic . I emailed them and they were ver...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank woo72
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I said I would write a fair review of this hotel before I left as I saw some fairly poor ones before I left and was a little worried. The general theme that this is not a five star hotel is accurate.

The staff are mostly lovely. Can't fault some of the service we had. On the whole the standard of service was excellent and well worth tipping. Others were a bit grumpy but after witnessing some of the lack of basic manners by other guests and their rude treatment it was understandable. Only one oriental lady working in the Mediteranian restaurant was particularly rude and really should not be working in a customer service role. The Thomas Cook rep was good, helpful and friendly. Didn't go in with the hard sell on the excursions which was refreshing. The room was nice, clean and spacious. We also had a choice of eating in the a la carte restaurants every night as part of our deal with Thomas Cook.

Coming to the food, not great is a fair assessment. It appears as though the hotel caters primarily for the Russian / German guests. Breakfast was limited. I am not one for full english breakfast on holiday but this certainly wasn't an option. There was lots of strange looking food but nothing to tempt you away from the toast or croissants. The boiled or scrambled eggs certainly didn't appear appetising. Lunchtime in the Buffet restaurant didn't look much better. Appeared as though most of the food ws of the same variety. As with breakfast there was a lot of cooked meats and cheese, with a large amount of salad. THe pizza at the pool bars was lovely. THe evening meals, we did not try the buffet restaurant. Choice was extremely limted at the a la carte restaurants but on the whole the food was lovely. The new Greek Restaurant is to be avoided (deep fried tasteless food) and the Italian Restaurant was a huge let down. The Egyptian restaurant and the Mediteranean restaurant were lovely though. As a note, do not bother with dessert. Everything is made of the same sugary gelatine. The Cheesecake we had in the Mexican restaurant was exactly the same taste and consistency as the pannacotta in the Italian restaurant.

The only other bad point of the hotel were the sparrows that seem to be Egypts equivalent of pigeons in the UK. In one of the pool bars, we saw sparrows eating food waiting to be served to guests. When staff saw this they shooed them away and left the food to be served. Disgusting but I guess standards aren't the same everywhere. The usual Egypt tummy was also present but I can't necessarily blame the food. We did only eat and drink in the hotel but it could have also been the heat or pool.

All in all if you are not fussy about food, this is a bargain of a holiday, with awesome weather (much hotter than the bbc weather forecast). However, if you have a sensitive stomach, fussy with food and get tired of telling shop keepers, sales people and "entertainers" that you are not interested then do not go. I would go again.

Get a red flag for your sun lounger though or you will get mithered to death!

1  Thank david c
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Excellent hotel,great and very friendly staff..everything was fantastic hotel was very clean,pools were great and staff was very polite,food was very tasty, We went to the Al a Carte every night and enjoyed all of them,it was the best holiday I've ever had. people were great specially thanks for general manager's wife Mrs Kaplanci.she was very nice and friendly too..it was so nice to chat and meet with her..a big thankyou to them all they really take pride in the job they do .

1  Thank Sophie C
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I'm writing this review sitting on a sun lounger watching my daughter and wife playing in the pool. I hired a 3G dongle from the hotel for a tenner for the week so I can browse the net when the heat gets too much. I haven't joined my family today as the pharho's curse struck me yesterday and i've been hugging my loo for the past 8hrs. I managed to organise a late check out for today so we can enjoy the pool and surrondings for a bit longer.

The resort is getting emptier by the week, perfect time to come now and the great thing about it is its a family resort. The resort itself is a well maintained property clean and picturesque lots of restuarants to choose from for evening dining. The restuarants have to be prebooked 24hrs in advance which is a bummer but you get a routine operating fairy quickly.

The staff are great very helpful and I can't fault them, the best dish to try out here if you enjoy a bit of chicken is chicken moshahab. The beer is good and the wine is not bad either had both red and white. The main lobby bar make the best and strongest cocktails, pool bars are not that good.

The pools are clean but cold, it will take your breath away average pool temp is 24c but the sea is best warm, sandy beach and some coral. Sharm and Taba are better for snorkelling outside hotels if thats what you are after. We took a trip hired a glass bottom boat for two hours it was amazing, there is a section in the middle of the sea which beats the carribean.

If you want to avoid any stomach bugs in Egypt with some success then choose one of the big chain hotels like Hyatt, Mariott and Le Reve Premier hotel.at a substantial cost. I've stayed at two egyptian brand hotels Tropicana and Sunrise and at both resorts i was sick, not sure how and why. I stayed at the above three hotels mentioned and no problems encountered.

Having said that I still recommend this hotel because of the staff, cost and ammenities. The flight with Thomas Cook was horrible, the seats on the plane are too small and matters are made worse when you have a stuck up person who despises children seating infront of you.

I am not looking forward to the journey back home tonight......

Room Tip: Block 14 for family's is a good choice as the rooms are close to everything, bang in the middle...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 30 in Makadi Bay
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
#2 of 222 in Hurghada

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!