“Fine apart from feeling imprisoned and catching salmonella!”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We went with friends on this holiday as they had recommended it from travelling before and had loved it. We did go Nov/Dec time and the weather wasn't as great as has hoped which didn't help raise the mood, admittedly.
The rooms are excellent, loads of room and very clean, we were very impressed with this. There was lots of nice pools but only 2 were heated during our visit and the others were far too cold to use. this wasn't really an issue tho, the swimming pools weren't the cleanest I had seen but not the worst either.
The resort itself was clean and tidy and could see a lot of activity going on everyday for it to be kept that way.
The staff were all ok and not rude.
The food was edible, just. But this is probably just me being picky as it wasn't to my taste, what the menus read and what you expect and get aren't always the same thing.
The buffet at lunch time, a few times we found to be rushed and no care taken. A few times we went without. The main buffet restaurant is VERY hot and stuffy. My husband and daughter both caught salmonella during our stay!! My daughter had to have 6 weeks off school when we got back as she was so ill !!!!
The beach and harbour are nice but just nice.
Overall, I just think the holiday wasn't really for me, I like to explore and experience different things and different cultures and to be honest you feel a little imprisoned as you can't leave the resort and wander to any local bars or see any local scenery etc. I got bored of walking the same paths and the same restaurants everyday. To be honest we could have been anywhere as we didn't see any of Egypt or its culture just a hotel catering very much for the russians and the brits.
I can see what people like about this resort as it feels safe and is clean but it just wasn't for us.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the family block and while these are furthest from the restaurants and beach, from...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank zacharyben

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Been here three times and must say its a great place for a relaxing holiday, great pool, restaurants and bars. Italian restaurant is the best in my opinion but the others are very good as well. If you want really good service then just give the waiter of your choice a fair tip at the beginning and you won't go wrong! We went in June and it did get up to 42deg which was a bit hot for some but we like it hot. Rooms are quite basic but clean and air conditioned with a fridge and tv. Would go back again as we have always had a great time there.

Room Tip: Try to get blocks 16,17,18 these are near the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stigg33
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the middle of July and we really liked it a lot.
We arrived early morning and they told us that the hotel is fully booked so we had to wait until 2 pm to get a room. We didnt mind much as our travel agency informed us about it in advance so we were ready for it and packed swimsuits into our handbags. We got all-inclusive bracelet and towel cards straight after the arrival so we could use the hotel servise from the morning.
The hotel is situated in a huge nice garden and has many buildings. We got the room in building 24 and it was simply furnished but spacious and clean. And it was not far from the main swimming pool and main restaurant. No complains at all.
Food was good enough. We were only all-inclusive so we aet only in the main restaurant. There was always something that we liked. Breakfast were the best. Staff was very nice there, always smilling and doing there job very well. Although Ramadan started the last night of our stay and there was a chaos in the main restaurant at dinner time. All waiters just disappeared and there were no clean plates and no free tables for a while as there was noone to collect the dishes. :)
The thing we really appreciate was that even though the hotel was fully booked there were always free sunbeds at the pool or beach so we didnt have to get up early.
As for animation team I must say that they work hard all day long. You can do morining stretching, aqua aerobic, belly dancing, water polo, beach volleyball or archery whatever you like. We liked Andreas and George the most but they all were friendly and always do their best to entertain people.
One more person has to be mentioned. Mohamed from Thomas Cook who sits in the lobby every day. He is very nice and always willing to help.
I would really recommend this hotel to everyone.It is very nice hotel with very nice staff. And although I like seeing new places and not going back to the same place again and again I think I will be back one day!!
Thank you all in Royal Makadi for lovely time!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Well where do I start...I was very apprehensive about going to this hotel after reading a lot of negative reviews. None are true, these people must go looking for faults because we found none and i am one of the fussiest people alive. Arrived at the hotel after 10.30pm and was checked in very quickly and shown to our room. We were in block 36 room 36201. The furthest away from reception which was a bit of a walk but so what.! Room was large, very clean and a huge shower. No complaints there. Also the room was kept spotless during our entire stay. Always managed to get 4 sun beds by any pool. Pools were kept as clean as possible, it's the biggest resort in Hurghada, your going to get dirt round the sides of the pool from the amount of suncream that people put on. It was scrubbed off 4 times that i saw with the guy in the pool with a sponge. The pool is 'hoovered' every evening, and as for the previous post with regard to debris on the bottom. If the guests put there rubbish in the bin instead of letting it blow around then there wouldnt be debris. Pool guys were great and always up for a laugh. Went to the beach once but not to fond of the sand (which gets everywhere) so stayed by the pools. We mainly stayed by the main pool where the animation team worked very hard to get people involved and were fantastic with the kids. Bex, Andreas, Boca, George, Ramy, and John (Cheif). All the others but cannot remember all there names. Al a cartes were amazing, tried the Asian (our favourite), Mexican, Italian, t bones, Bedouin, and the Greek (we didn't try this as we don't like fish). The main buffet food was also good, although it can be very hectic (mainly with Russians). We went here for breakfast as there is more choice. Omelette chef Mohammed was great. All the waiters were brilliant. All the staff worked tirelessly and considering it was Ramadam they didn't falter. We went to Luxor which was a brilliant trip but very hot. Only downside is all the hassle you get but they are only trying to make a living. Went to Mahyma island, OMG. Beautiful. Saw dolphins and went on the snorkelling trip whilst there (for free) which was unbelievable. Food on the island was also amazing. (included). The sunset sand buggy trip is a must, breathtaking although you get very very dirty. The guide was also great fun and let my 8 yr old ride with him through the trip. Also let my 13 and 8 yr old have a drive of the buggys when we stopped. Went jet skiing, and on last day went parasailing. We got it for £70 for 4 people. Bargain. We spent nearly an hour on the speedboat as the parasailing boat was quite busy but the lad who was driving was crazy and took us for a high speed drive. Even let my son drive the boat. Once on the boat the guys were great. And once up the views are breathtaking. No stomach upsets which I was worried about. It was hot but it's egypt and your in the desert. It's going to be. So why people moan I don't know. The only minor problem was a problem with the water and electricity. But it's not just the hotel it's all of hurghada. It's was sorted before we left and the longest time the water was off was about 4 hours. We are getting married next year and will most definitely be going back for our honeymoon. All in all a FANTASTIC holiday that we won't forget any time soon.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Great place, spoilt by the Russians.

Staff are exceptional and the teams in the a la carte really try to make you feel welcome.

The pools were not very clean, loads of debris on the bottom and the side walls were grimy, not sure what pool the previous poster was referring to?

The a la carte restaurants are a welcom haven from the chaos of the main Bufet, and the Russians!

The beach is a nice one, plenty of decent beds. Talking of beds, for the first time, never had a problem, which was very much appreciated.

I found housekeeping to be adequate and no more.

We had a few trips out.

Glass bottom boat from Hurghada, and a night out in Hurghada - not for the feint hearted.

Highlight was a trip to Luxor. We chose to travel in a private car with our own tour guide. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

All in all, it was nice and relaxing, but fell short on quality. I agree with 69% for food on Thomas Cooks rating.

I wouldn't rush back to the resort, as it didn't tick many boxes compared to Sharm.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bw66460
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Was a little nervous what to expect with some of the reviews on here, but realise some people can be so pathetic and picky! This resort is fantastic, the kids loved it, the staff were brilliant (considering it was Ramadan)
Some of the comments on here are very true - the Russians. Don't think I've ever seen so much food put on plates and wasted! You have to see it to believe it!
Can't understand people that start drinking beer and whiskey from 9 in the morning ( very sad!)
As for trips, Mohammed (the brilliant tireless TC reps) sorted a private taxi tour of Luxor, well worth the extra couple of quid, to the valley of the kings. Trip to Mahmya the carribean island and the speed devil trips into the redsea desert (very hot!!!) all recommend.
Only downside to the Egypt experience is the constant pestering by the street traders.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Soggyspaniel
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just got back from our summer 2012 holiday - two middle weeks of July.
This was 8th visit to Egypt - and our 3rd time at this particular hotel. When we were looking where to stay this year, we looked at locations nearer to Hurghada, but decided we couldn't wait to go back to this hotel again.
And there were no disappointments. In fact, the hotel has made some more improvements and it's even better this year !!
The hotel now offers numerous restaurants - we visited many but not all of them during our stay - (please bear in mind though, that these restaurants all offer the "Egyptian" version of that style of food - we ate at the Italian ('La Trattoria') - on our first visit my daughter and I had pizza as a main course, and my hubby had veal with roasted vegetables, mashed potato and a fabulous gravy/sauce. We visited this Italian later during the holiday, with some friends we made during our stay - and all 6 of us asked for the veal dinner again - and although it was NOT on the menu that evening it was no trouble at all and they made no fuss when we requested it...needless to say all 6 of us enjoyed it tremendously.
We also visitied the Mexican restaurant ('El Paso') - with the chance for some photos with Mexican sombreros !, and although I've never had Mexican before the food was fantastic - not too spicy, and full of juicy flavours - highly recommend this.
One of the others worth mentioning is the Egyptian/Bedoiun restaurant ('El Arrabeya') - great skewered kebs of chicken or veal, with selection of couscous/ humous / barbecued peppers etc - did not expect this to be anywhere near as good as it turned out to be. This one is also an outside eatery - and though you imagine it to be stiflingly hot, it is built with walls around it which seem to keep it cooler than most of the rest of the hotel !
The pools are kept sparkling clean, but you do need to be careful stepping around the edges as these can be very slippery when wet.
The entertainment team also now provide a pool party and beach party each week - great fun - go and enjoy yourselves !!
This was the first time I got my hubby and 16-yr old daughter to join me at the spa for a body massage - well worth every penny.
You will not be sorry for choosing this hotel - and I'm quite sure you'll want to visit again and again, like we do.

Room Tip: Block 34 at the entrance to the hotel - only a short walk from the main reception and buffet restaur...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Hilton Hurghada Resort
#42 of 222 in Hurghada
SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort
Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!