“Such Lovely People - My Second Home - Egypt.....”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My second holiday in 2012 this time being to Sunrise Royal Makadi Resort - 10 days in the middle of July. Superb weather.

This was 12th visit to Egypt and my 2nd time at this particular hotel. When looking where to stay this year, I decided I couldn't wait to go back to this hotel again having been there last September with a friend.

And there were no disappointments, except the evening entertainment which was interesting but not to my taste. In fact, the hotel has made some more improvements and it's even better this year !! Roll on September when I’m returning there.

The hotel now offers numerous restaurants - I visited many but not all of them during my stay

I visited the Mexican restaurant ('El Paso') twice the food was fantastic - not too spicy, and full of juicy flavours - highly recommend this and just round the corner from Block 38 where I was staying.

One of the others worth mentioning is the Egyptian/Bedouin restaurant ('El Arrabeya') - great skewered chicken kebabs or the chicken breast along with selection of couscous/ humous / etc this turned out to be my favourite I ate their twice. Makmoud Hamed is the restaurant manager he‘s so welcoming (like all the staff) he also works in the daytime in the main restaurant. This one is an outside eatery - and though you imagine it to be stiflingly hot, it is built with walls around it which seem to keep it cooler than most of the rest of the hotel a great experience. The Asian and Italian were also nice. The main restaurant was quite good, get there in the lunchtime soon after opening its not so busy to start with, breakfast I went to the mexican which was very good, loads of melon, fruit salad, cerals, various cakes/breaks, omelette station, etc etc

The pools are kept sparkling clean, I spent my daytime near the VIP pool, which was hoovered out most days by Makmoud and the bar area looked after by Saleh both made you welcome each day at the area, likewise wherever you went on resort during the day the staff were so welcome. I enjoyed the snorkeling at the beach next door and the one about 3 hotels down to to the left as you face the sea, which had superb coral, take your water if walking to this one, if going next door just take your flipflops (you'll need them with the hot sand!!) .

While there I decide to have my hair cut - the gentleman who cut it (name slips my memory) did a superb job for a dry cut at $20, he was so professional although having said that he did tell me he was a teacher of hairdressing so you can realise they have good standards in the salon and the building where the beauty treatments takes place are so modern and impressive, the spa and treatment area looked good, I heard good reports on all treatments people had there, you can barter over prices, I did.

While staying at the hotel I have to say how helpful the front desk staff were especially Hashim Lofty & Abd Attalla - if there is anything you want they’ll see what they can do - I asked for a kettle for my room and had a minor plumbing issue in my room resolved..

I was in Block 38 where Mohammed looked after my room, I hardly saw him but his attention to detail when cleaning was superb, one day I returned early and he was cleaning my floor all the way thru. He did a lovely towel art swan.

If visiting this resort appreciate outside the hotel is barren desert albeit there are hotels all the way along this beach, but its not like a European holiday resort after all its Egypt, not Blackpool/Great Yarmouth!. If you want to see some history you’ll need to go on trips to either Luxor or Cairo (a few hours away) etc but if you want to relax this is the place to do it with the sunshine almost guaranteed more than the UK can offer all year. It is a large hotel but well desiged so you don't see the volume of guests.

You’ll need as with all hot countries to consume considerably large amounts of water during the peak season as it gets very hot here, but this isn’t a problem, being hydrated helps one stay well, 10 days out there and no tummy troubles. I’m use to eating a varied continental diet in the UK which helps.

A nice mix of tourists, nearly everyone so friendly.

Have fun
x

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank dreamacer2005

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We've had our main holiday in Egypt last few years with the usual pluses & minuses but this hotel & holiday ticked all the boxes. we travelled with son & daughter in law & 2 granddaughters so party age varied from 5 to 58 yrs & all of us rated this our best. The hotel & grounds are massive, well kept for their age & staff brilliant with a few slight exeptions. the Thomas Cook ultra all inclusive package meant we could eat every night in one of the 7 "a" la carte restraunts with fresh cooked food all 14 nights hence no " pharoah's revenge " .We also had breakfast each day in the "all around the world" restraunt which always had available clean tables, fresh omelates or fried eggs & pancakes , so no visits to the main restraunt which was overcrowded & a bit of a "bunfight ". Kids pool with the slides is massive with a paddling pool up to the bridge , then deeper otherside from poolbar & on towards the slides. main pools equally impressive. a good feature is the sports pool so games , waterpolo etc; don't affect other bathers. adult only pool near beach is an oassis of tranquility, with canopies directly over sunbeds as part of bed on some. snorkelling is best at next hotel's reef ( fort arabesque ) within 30 yds of beach . we said far superior to taba & marsa alam last 2 years. rays & turtles swim up to you if you float rather than swim/aggitate water in deeper areas. rooms were adequate , with bathroom , shower & bath, toilet with bidet. lounge area with flatscreen tv. quuen beds with sofabed in lounge .Luxor lager palatable but also international spirits -Smirnoff blue with tonic or 7 up favourite , ladies said cocktails fine too. always tables to sit at inside or outside. entertainment low key by hotel team but kids thought great. another plus was the kids club 2 hours a day that the girls loved - the Thomas Cook girls made it enjoyable for them but also educational with crafts etc; they thought chocolate party was best tho !!! must have missed out something ? can't think what tho . Would i recommend it - 100% - free late checkout inc meant only sat around 1 hr for coach. all in all need a holiday to get over this one !!!! roll on next one. --- p.s. as a precaution take an ant spray & spray doors and edges every few days - no creepy crawlies !!

Room Tip: we stayed in block 12 ground floor central to everything . one downer Thomas Cook do not send on boo...
2  Thank ChrisDiSheffield
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

Dear our valued customer,
The SUNRISE Royal Makadi Team thanks you very much for your precious time that you have spent to post your opinion about our Hotel.

We would like to thank you for this outstanding comment on trip advisor. The best reward for Hoteliers is satisfied and pleased guests. But for our Hotel the greatest reward is a guest who feels with us like home.

We wish you a lovely time back at home and are looking forward to welcoming you at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort soon again!

Sunny regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I have just got back from a lovely week stay at the Resort.
We found the Whole Resort clean and tidy. The gardens were well looked after. Our room was cleaned and made up every day.
The 7 different A la Carte restaurants offered something different every night or you could just go and have the Buffet dinner and choose what you wanted to eat.
The beach and the fresh Beach towels every day was brilliant and the sea had plenty of fishes of lots of differing colours that made the snorkelling very enjoyable.
Staff were very friendly and more than happy to help with questions.
All in all a FANTASTIC holiday and we are looking forward to our return trip only for longer next time.

2  Thank Pip S
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Travelled on July 20th for 11 nights. Andrea, Gary, Thomas & Charlotte.
Review by Andrea.

Got back today from Sunrise Makadi Bay having had a great 11 night holiday there. I think everybody has already said what there is to say so i’ll stick to main points.
Firstly, we had two worries when we booked the holiday 1.hot weather and 2.tummy bug. Now I know I had no need to worry. Yes, the weather is hot - 45°C but because of the breeze it is totally bearable. My 4 year old was in the pool for 6 hours every day and with spf 50 was fine. I sunbathed quite easily. On an evening is when it gets more suffocating. It’s just so hot - 35°C so the air conditioned restaurants are a blessing.
As for tummy bugs, we were fine. We were told by couple of people who had suffered that you can buy Egyptian tablets (English ones don’t work) from the pharmacy in the hotel next door and within a couple of hours you are fine. There is also a doctor at the hotel – which is reassuring if you did need any help.
Overall, we found the hotel great. Yes, it is not perfect but I don’t go on holiday to find faults. Things we loved:
*Lovely spacious room – one of the best we’ve had. Cleaned expertly every day. We were room 10137. This is block 10 near the family pool. We liked the location even though on a night it’s a 5 minute walk to the restaurants in uncomfortable heat.
*A la carte restaurants are great. We liked the Italian, Asian and Mediterranean best. Great food and friendly efficient service in the Italian – gorgeous focaccia breads with oils for dipping on the tables. Good food in the Asian. But we really liked the Mediterranean because with two kids we felt more relaxed there and the food was lovely. The best mashed potato! And try the ‘Om aly’ for dessert, it’s like Egyptian bread and butter pudding. Service friendly and good too. The Bedouin restaurant is a fabulous experience but unfortunately we only visited once because it’s in tents outside, so too hot for us.
*Great family pool – the one with the big slides. It’s not too busy and there is really no need to put towels out because there are sun loungers available all day. The staff at the bar here were so friendly. Mahmoud was always smiley and helpful despite the fact that he was always so busy – such a sweetheart! But they were all great. Our two year old girl liked milk on an evening and because it was the nearest bar to our room they always asked if she was ok for milk and gave us cartons for the room, which was really thoughtful. The pizzas and burgers on a lunchtime here were really great too.

Overall, we had a fabulous holiday. I don’t know what else we could have wished for. Many people we met were repeat customers and I think this is because it offers good value for money. It’s a massive hotel, but never felt over crowded. We would definitely return next year if the price was right.

Also, if you are reading this, please email me ‘Gav from Chester’ on Barnsleygaz@hotmail.com. Lost your details. Cheers.

If fact, if anyone has any questions just ask via above address.

Room Tip: Block 10 is near the family pool with the slides, but a good 5min walk from restaurants
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We went with friends on this holiday as they had recommended it from travelling before and had loved it. We did go Nov/Dec time and the weather wasn't as great as has hoped which didn't help raise the mood, admittedly.
The rooms are excellent, loads of room and very clean, we were very impressed with this. There was lots of nice pools but only 2 were heated during our visit and the others were far too cold to use. this wasn't really an issue tho, the swimming pools weren't the cleanest I had seen but not the worst either.
The resort itself was clean and tidy and could see a lot of activity going on everyday for it to be kept that way.
The staff were all ok and not rude.
The food was edible, just. But this is probably just me being picky as it wasn't to my taste, what the menus read and what you expect and get aren't always the same thing.
The buffet at lunch time, a few times we found to be rushed and no care taken. A few times we went without. The main buffet restaurant is VERY hot and stuffy. My husband and daughter both caught salmonella during our stay!! My daughter had to have 6 weeks off school when we got back as she was so ill !!!!
The beach and harbour are nice but just nice.
Overall, I just think the holiday wasn't really for me, I like to explore and experience different things and different cultures and to be honest you feel a little imprisoned as you can't leave the resort and wander to any local bars or see any local scenery etc. I got bored of walking the same paths and the same restaurants everyday. To be honest we could have been anywhere as we didn't see any of Egypt or its culture just a hotel catering very much for the russians and the brits.
I can see what people like about this resort as it feels safe and is clean but it just wasn't for us.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the family block and while these are furthest from the restaurants and beach, from...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank zacharyben
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Been here three times and must say its a great place for a relaxing holiday, great pool, restaurants and bars. Italian restaurant is the best in my opinion but the others are very good as well. If you want really good service then just give the waiter of your choice a fair tip at the beginning and you won't go wrong! We went in June and it did get up to 42deg which was a bit hot for some but we like it hot. Rooms are quite basic but clean and air conditioned with a fridge and tv. Would go back again as we have always had a great time there.

Room Tip: Try to get blocks 16,17,18 these are near the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stigg33
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the middle of July and we really liked it a lot.
We arrived early morning and they told us that the hotel is fully booked so we had to wait until 2 pm to get a room. We didnt mind much as our travel agency informed us about it in advance so we were ready for it and packed swimsuits into our handbags. We got all-inclusive bracelet and towel cards straight after the arrival so we could use the hotel servise from the morning.
The hotel is situated in a huge nice garden and has many buildings. We got the room in building 24 and it was simply furnished but spacious and clean. And it was not far from the main swimming pool and main restaurant. No complains at all.
Food was good enough. We were only all-inclusive so we aet only in the main restaurant. There was always something that we liked. Breakfast were the best. Staff was very nice there, always smilling and doing there job very well. Although Ramadan started the last night of our stay and there was a chaos in the main restaurant at dinner time. All waiters just disappeared and there were no clean plates and no free tables for a while as there was noone to collect the dishes. :)
The thing we really appreciate was that even though the hotel was fully booked there were always free sunbeds at the pool or beach so we didnt have to get up early.
As for animation team I must say that they work hard all day long. You can do morining stretching, aqua aerobic, belly dancing, water polo, beach volleyball or archery whatever you like. We liked Andreas and George the most but they all were friendly and always do their best to entertain people.
One more person has to be mentioned. Mohamed from Thomas Cook who sits in the lobby every day. He is very nice and always willing to help.
I would really recommend this hotel to everyone.It is very nice hotel with very nice staff. And although I like seeing new places and not going back to the same place again and again I think I will be back one day!!
Thank you all in Royal Makadi for lovely time!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Hilton Hurghada Resort
#41 of 222 in Hurghada
SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort
Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!