“They Do Not Deliver What They Promise”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
New York City, New York
“They Do Not Deliver What They Promise”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

They quoted us an All Inclusive (with Alcohol) price, and then tried to re-negociate, after we arrived for a higher rate. When we refused, they reduced our privileges to exclude alcohol, and removed the ala carte restaurant privileges.

We asked for information on transport to the hotel, they provided expensive limo service one way rates, and failed to mention the much cheaper round trip, or available shuttle service rates.

They harass their guests with way too many sales pitches of VERY overpriced spa and other services. Their efforts to fleece guests are non stop.

The food tasted bland, and all the nice people who worked so hard were unable to make up for the cheapness and unprofessionalism of those who made commitments that were not honored.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, and make sure you get your quotes to clearly SPELL OUT what you are paying for.
2 Thank Star983
royalmakadi, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 12 December 2012

Thanks a lot for your nice comment about the hotel and your evaluation.
We hope to welcome you again soon to your second home, the Sunrise Select Royal Makadi Resort .
Your comments will be passed by to Head Department and it will take necessary action.
Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,150)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
london
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just got back from our 4th time at this hotel and it's just as good as last time. The food was great especially the Asian restaurant and the service was very good as well. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was the pool which was to cold to actually go for a swim in, just a quick in and out when you got to hot. The room was very clean and the sheets were changed every day. It was in the low 30deg so great for some winter sun.

Room Tip: Try and get rooms in blocks 15, 16 or 17 as these are close to the pool.
3 Thank stigg33

Thanks a lot for your nice comment about the hotel and your evaluation.
Kindly be informed that we have 5 heated pool and this pool are heated according to winter time.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We decided to go on a 'beach' holiday as we had only done 'active' holidays for years. We chose Egypt because of the weather and the warm sea temperartures and chose the resort based on the good food reviews as we had heard so many negative reviews about food in Egypt.

Myself, husband, two daughters (aged 8 & 9) and my in-laws flew with Thomas Cook, managing to get two free child places as we had a child in each room. Interestingly the price for my in-laws went up in order to get the free child place but overall the holiday was cheaper and cost just under £4000 for the six of us, All Inclusive, for a week during School Holidays.

We arrived at Hurghada airport and was transported into the airport by bus. It was bedlam in there and we were ushered quite vehemently into queues where we had to pay £13 each in order to enter Hurghada.
The toilets there were disgusting and it was also quite strange to see people sat smoking in there.
There was a foreign currency exchange in the airport but the officials didn't like you using it and kept shouting you back into line. (I ignored them and went to change my 100LE into smaller money anyway). The exchange rate was much better at the airport - we got 8.8 Egyptian pound to the English pound at home but they offered 9.7!

After collecting our luggage we were shown by Thomas Cook reps to our transfer. The reps were well placed to point you along the way and very pleasant to speak with.
At the bus a man was lifting our luggage onto the roof and kept holding out his hand, which had two pound coins in it, gesturing for money. I had only managed to change my 100LE into two 50's and had no other money to give him but this wasn't a problem he didn't pester us for it.

It was dark on the journey so I couldn't see anything of the scenery (which was probably just as well as coming home was an eye opener). When we arrived at our resort it looked beautiful, the entrance was lovely and gave a very good first impression.
We were taken to the immpressive reception area, shown to some sofas and given a drink and wet cloths to freshen ourselves up and greeted with the words 'welcome home' by everyone we spoke to. Check in was easy with the staff coming to us, telling us what we needed to do and giving us our All Inclusive wristbands. We then went out to our luggage where it was labelled up and taken to our rooms for us.

The first night we ate in the buffet restaurant which was large, quite busy and had an immense choice of food. The soups were gorgeous and my fears over the food quality began to diminish.

In reception are two touch screens where you can book evening meals in the 7 Al a carte restaurants. You have to book a day in advance but can book up to three days at once. There are two sittings 6:30pm and 8pm. We ate in six of the seven and they were superb. Each restaurant is themed and the menu reflects this. Each menu is a three course meal and some also gave you appetisers. There were at least several choices of starters (including soups and salads) and main courses (which were varied, except the Greek which was all fish) and I think all except the Arabic had a good selection of desserts (Arabeya offered two desserts which were both lovely). All the restaurants we ate in (we didn't eat in the Greek) were fabulous and we never struggled to find something on the menu we liked. I would highly recommend trying them all.
During the day there was pizza cooked to order in the main pool area, which also served soup, chips and burgers (fish, chicken, beef etc...); Pizza served from the Steakhouse restaurant by the family pool and then the main buffet was open which again had an extensive selection of food.
Breakfast was served in the main buffet; the Around the World (Mediteranean) restaurant and the Mexican restaurant. All were lovely - the main buffet had the largest selection but the other two still had a good selection but were quieter.

The whole complex was spotlessly clean and beautifully kept. Our Housekeeper Moustafa was fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful...His towel creations kept the kids entertained and they couldn't wait to go back to our room after breakfast to see what he had made.

The towel card system worked brilliantly meaning you always had a clean towel - and they weren't little towels, they were huge bath sheets!

The weather was lovely, around 30 degrees every day. The pools felt cold to get in but were fine once you got in and the sea was gorgeous!! It is a sandy beach with loads of comfy sunbeds on. We struggled to get a bed and were told that you have to be there early to secure one. There is a system in place to remove towels that are placed too early but I don't know if it is used. We found that by lunchtime there were loads of beds became available so weren't bothered by this. There were loads of beds around the pools and we never struggled to get them there.
There is a cordened off area in which to swim and snorkel in the sea which means it is really safe in terms of boats etc... The snorkeling was awesome and my highlight was seeing a stingray :) The snorkeling at the next hotel (If you are looking out to sea then walk to your left) was much better and a couple of times we walked over there to snorkel (We left our stuff at our beach as the towels are different and you are not strictly supposed to do this).

We didn't do any excursions but have heard that the quad bike safari is great. We also heard that the trip to Luxor was awful but it's personal preference.

On our first day we went to the welcome meeting. The team, led by Mohamed, were sparkling and want to do everything to make your stay enjoyable. Mohamed told us about the Red Flag system they have in place which is designed to stop people approaching you to sell you stuff. This can be quite annoying as it can be constant at times so the flag is a good idea.

My husband (after a lot of persuading) and I used the spa and had the Adam & Eve treatment package. This consisted of Sauna, scrub, massage and jacuzzi. It cost us 850LE after a bit of haggling, i'm not sure what the best price you could get for it is but it was lovely and my husband has now said he may consider another visit to a Spa one day! Our package lasted around 2 1/2 hours and was very relaxing - I would definately use it again!

We also had a photo shoot. I have mixed feeling about this - Timo came around selling it and we had a good laugh. We finally agreed (on his second day of persuading us) and he suggested we have a morning shoot at the beach and then an evening shoot by the pool and in the gardens. The price was £5/500LE per pic and a disc with all the pics on. The photo shoots went well, the guy (not Timo) was friendly and did a good job. The problems arrived when we came to pick some to buy. When Timo had been persuading us I explained my husband was a photographer and Timo had said there was no obligation to buy any. Agreeing it would be nice to have all of us on a picture together we had agreed, thinking we would just buy a few. The guy who went through the pictures with us didn't seem happy we were deleting so many (there were well over a hundred). He asked another guy to come and sit with us, who had been the photographer. At 51 he was asking us to buy them all. I explained we didn't want 51 and that we would continue to delete until we had the ones we wanted. He got angrier and angrier, telling us he had worked hard and could have been photographing someone else willing to buy them all. I explained we had made it clear from the start that we wouldn't be buying loads and continued to shortlist pictures. We got to 16 pictures and he said that was it, we couldn't go lower, we were wasting his time and it was a joke etc etc...I said fine, stood up and walked away. I saw Timo and explained what had happened and he said he would sort it, which he did, sending the man away and seeing to it himself. We bought 14 pictures which still cost us 700LE - a considerable amount! The photos are good though and they will touch them up if you want, so as long as you are clear from the start roughly how many you want to buy, don't be swayed or bullied into buying more. (Other families we spoke to had bought less than we did).

There are a few shops on the resort and nothing is priced up. I liked a calendar and after being persuaded to buy two I was told 380LE. I said I would rather pay 100LE and after much haggling we had reached stalemate at 320LE to my 150LE. I was adamant I wasn't paying more and went to walk away. This lowered the price to 200LE but I didn't think it was worth it and quite firmly said no and went to walk away. At this, to my suprise, my offer was accepted. From 380 to 150 seemed like a massive difference and I began to wonder if I should have haggled harder on other purchases! My advise would be to think about what you would like to pay, start lower than that and stay very firm at your maximum - they coud be very persuasive!!

Animation Team - they were AWESOME!!! There comedy show was the best entertainment I have seen and I was crying with laughter all the way through it. Hats off to Chief animation guy Osama - they were a great team. (Mizo's Dr Magic was my highlight and the beach scene was also hilarious)

Tipping - In resort NO ONE bothered us for tips. The restaurants all have tip boxes in them as does reception. When we tipped in the restaurant they went and put it in the box or asked us to.
The guy who brought our luggage hung around a little longer than necessary but didn't ask and when we did tip him he asked us if we could change English into Egyptian. We were never asked again until he came to collect our luggage at the end of our holiday. He wasn't pushy or anything and apologised when we said we didn't have english notes.
We did tip the waiter at the bar at times when he fetched us our drinks but this was a service they just did and they never expected a tip.
Whilst sitting around the pool or at the beach, soft drinks were sometimes brought round - this was a lovely touch and added to the quality of the holiday.

Said - the general manager is doing a wonderful job and the whole staff team are a credit to him. The whole holiday was magnificent and I would definately recommend going there.

Upon leaving the resort, in daylight, I was astounded to see how barren everywhere looked. The drive back to Hurghada was an eye opener - at times it was like driving past a dump-it sight with bags of rubbish and litter all piled in the sand by the side of the road. Hurghada itself looked run down and dirty and I was quite glad we had decided to stay in the resort all week - it was a little piece of paradise :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Block 10 which was right next to the family pool with slides but everywhere looked grea...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Scoobisue

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed 17 November 2012

it is very good place to spend your vacation you can have all what you need or what you need.At sunrise Royal Makadi the service is excellent ..Food is very good . Customer service care a lot about gust .It is my second time there and will not be the last

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Mohamed A
Dear Guest,
Thank You for Your comment on our hotel. We are glad that our personnel succeeded to make Your vacation remarkable. We are looking forward to see You and Your family soon in SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort.
Best regards,
Hotel management.
Denbigh
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was our first visit to Makadi Bay and it was such a joy to wade into the water to snorkel after years of jumping off jettys in Sharm ;-)

I was a bit nervous of our hotel choice on realising only after booking that we had stayed in its "sister" hotel in Sharm previously and had lingering memories of poor food and even poorer service.

We stayed in block 27 which had recently been refurbished. We were happy with the room overall. The fridge is topped up with water daily but soft drinks only weekly. A good set of his and hers wardrobes - i'm assuming hers is the one with double the amount of hangers ;-)

On day 5 of our week long stay we had a kettle, tray and cups delivered to our room. We never had any tea or coffee provided to go with it - but i suppose if you don't ask you don't get.

Happily the abundance of a la carte restaurants here provided a great choice of really good food. My thanks to Mahmoud in the "Around the World Restaurant" - which doubles up as the Arabian theme in the evenings - who kept me supplied with Hawawshi and went out of his way to accommodate our party of four's requests.

I can't say that the staff outside of the restaurants were particularly friendly - but that may because we made use of the red flags to deter the sales people.

This is the first hotel that i've ever stayed in Egypt that doesn't appear to have any service around the pools (at the sunbeds)?

Nevertheless at the end of the week i wished we'd be staying for 2. I would go back to the Sunrise Royal Makadi if the price was right (we stayed half term week) and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank crisp_and_brown
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment. It was a pleasure for us to welcome you in SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort ! We would be happy to greet you again in our resort in nearest future! All our team is ready to arrange for you nice and memorable holidays!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I don't usually go for big hotel complexes, but we joined some friends at the Sunrise for a relaxing week in early November. The snorkelling off the home reef was excellent, even beating my barrier reef experience earlier in the year. The quad bike safari into the desert was a highlight - go for an afternoon session and ride back in the dark. Very exhilerating! The windsurfing was limited due to prevailing off-shore winds and cordonned off bathing areas. The food was amazing, but go for the a la carte restaurants for evening meals with less choice but more relaxing. The staff were unbelievably helpful and couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not too far from the main complex - it could save a lot of walking.
1 Thank Gordon374
Pecka, Jiein, Czech Republic
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This resort is the best of....Accomodation, food, sea, personnel of hotel, but THE BEST OF ANIMATION TEAM, specifically MEE DAA:-))) Thanks so much for excellent holiday in paradise:-)) See you next year...:-)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Makadi Bay
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa
Jaz Aquaviva Resort
Jaz Aquaviva Resort
#2 of 30 in Makadi Bay

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!