“Fantastic Holiday and I would definately go back”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday and I would definately go back”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I have just spent a very enjoyable stay at the Sunrise Makardi Resort. The staff were very friendly and polite. Nothing was to much trouble for them.The rooms were spotless and cleaned daily. I would consider myself a fussy eater but there was always something there for me to eat. The food choice was excellent and good quality. I went to the al a carte restaurants on six occassions. The food and service was excellent. We went to the Steak House twice,the Mexican twice and the Asian and Italian once. I would recommend the Steak House we had some real fun with the staff there. There is no charge for this service. The beach is only a short walk away with plenty of sun beds. You have to get there early if you require one at the front. The snorkling was good but I would recommned going to the next Hotel to the left where it was excellent. You have only got to walk out a short distance to see thousands of fish swimming around the coral. The Animation team worked tirelessly throughout the day and night. Marley from the Animation team was a character and helped us to enjoy our holiday.The Shows were good and the Animation team worked hard to put on a good show. The weather was in the high 20's low 30's but it was a bit windy. The beach was clean and when you got to sea level you couldn't hardly feel the wind. It was a little chilly in the nights. The staff from the Management down to the cleaners were very friendly, with the majority of them speaking good English. Nothing was to much trouble for them.There was no charge for the safe in your room. There were persons trying to sell massage and boat trips but if you obtain a red flag from the towell stand and display it in a prominent place, you will not be bothered. It was a wonderful holiday and I will certainly be returning to this hotel. You must pay £15 each to enter the Resort. Just one little thing be careful when you leave the Airport, there are persons putting your baggage onto the buses and they expect to be tipped. I saw one young lad being hassled by one of these persons and he ended up having to give him £10. All in all a great holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed at the back end of the main building but it only took a few minutes to walk to our room...
6 Thank Philip N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I was in this hotel in December. Fantastic people work there! The hotel is beautiful and people who work there do everything to make your holidays unforgetable. Rooms are high quality, very clean and beautiful.
Animation team is always smiley and friendly.
Hotel manager Mr Said always smiley and caring. It raly felt like you are a part of his own family. Food delicious!!!
If you want to make your holidays the way you want them to be just go there and enjoy! Because you will. I can 100% promiss you that.

Room Tip: 212 nice one, I loved it
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ilvijarausuks k
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just returned from a 7 night break with family and cannot believe that it has taken us this long to discover the Eyptian sun. The weather was amazing, the staff were first class and the whole holiday experience wants us to return next year. They have the most amazing restaurants together with the main eating area but the food was amazing and cooked fresh every day.I also did a body stretch class with Gigi who was lovely and worked with the animation team who were always extremely friendly but did not push you if you declined. Loved everything about the holiday and have not doubt that we will be going back again next year.

7 Thank Irwyn E
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Before I really begin, I would first like to say that I met some very nice members of staff who made I and my daughters stay at sunrise royal bearable.just. the staff at the Mexican Restaurant (breakfast only) were extremely helpful and friendly always welcoming also (SOME) of the staff at the main buffet restaurant. The T bone restaurant and the Asian restaurant and I am very grateful for their professionalism.

I'd like to mention that before I visited Egypt I did a little research online on how black people and people of very dark skin tones were treated/recieved in Egypt. To be honest the reviews were mixed though mostly negative and reported incidents of racism. With this in mind I still decided to go and pass judgement for myself.

upon arrival at our hotel I instantly felt uncomfortable. You'd think that if anything we would have felt uncomfortable on our flight and transfer coach giving as we were the only black people but no we didn't and why would we? People were friendly and back home in London this has never been an issue as I have many friends who are white, black, yellow from many backgrounds we live in a multicultural society. Back to arrival, we were met with their slogan of "welcome home" though I feel "welcome to hell" would have been more fitting, we were glared at by members of staff, some out of curiosity which is perfectly normal and fine as majority of guests are european and Our much Darker skin stood out, some of the staff laughed, some gave looks of disgust and some turned the other way. I remeber an instance when I needed some advice and one member of staff wearing the red uniform turned his face away. It was embarassing and felt quite hurt.

There was an incident at the Italian a la carte restaurant, the waiting staff were extremely rude, we couldn't get out of there fast enough, though the food was very good, but the service very dissapointing.

During our stay at sunrise we were subjected to all types of discrimination, we were called monkeys and one man asked my 11 year old if she wanted a banana,she was distraught. I couldn't even bring myself to complain as i was by this time crushed and just wanted to stay in our room.as mentioned earlier it was the few people that made it bearable for us and the lovely weather. We held our heads high and were determined to get through this "holiday" though very difficult, getting to the end of our holiday it was pretty hard to keep up our fake smiles...really I should say my fake smile, my 11 year old was miserable apart from the day of our excursion when we actually left the hotel for our dessert adventure. Which was fantastic and highly recomend.

The hotel itself is spotless very clean a nd the gardens are kept very well, beautiful in fact. If it hadn't been for our experience and the fact that our hot water was either cold or lukewarm even after reporting, though they sent a plumber to "fix it"would have scored this hotel highly. There is an abundance of food at the main buffet but you do get tired which is why it is good to use the other restaurants which you can book 2 days in advance

My overall impression on Egypt ..so far..is that it is a highly racist place and this wss confirmed by my experience at sunrise royal makadi. Its quite confusing as Egypt is mixed with different shades...some Arab looking to the darkest of the dark, so why the discrimination? there is the ignorant mentality that the fairer you are the better you are. No, this is not true...it is all about your heart condition and your character NOT...the shade of your skin!

Would I recomend Sunrise Royal Makadi...only if you are white or fair Arab

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank NubianExplorer
royalmakadi, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your time and all recommendations, good words.
Each single recommendation is very important for us as evaluation from our guest is the mapping of our service .

Kindly note if you have some recommendation or comment Resort Management will be very pleased to know about them while you are in house in order of immediate action and as well making correct action of improving your vacation.
Please do not hesitated to contact Resort Management and inform about your comment, ideas, recommendation as all team of SUNRISE select Royal Makadi Resort working for achievement maximum guest satisfaction and each guest opinion, comment is very important for grooming Resort Hospitality.
Resort is International with different nationalities, per day in the Resort accommodated around 2000 guest, per month could be reach till 30 000 guest. Slogan in our Resort: "Guest are King" and doesn't meter which nationality or which skin color.

We hope that you will gave us chance to prove you this and to arrange for your good self Dream Holidays.

With Best Regards,
Resort Management.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Just back from an amazing 2 weeks at this hotel, the best we have stayed at in Egypt and we have been many times.All the staff are so friendly and helpfull animation team are brilliant.We tryed all the a la carte restaurants and they were all very good, the buffet restaurant had a really good choice too.Would definitely recommend this hotel

4 Thank AJK52
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my 30th Birthday. We were looking for something special and we certainly got it! The bedroom was gorgeous and the hotel was beautiful. All the pools were amazing and the beach was too. We were looked after so much and made to feel really special. The staff were wonderful and we couldn't have asked for better. All the restaurants were lovely. We went to the Asian one for my birthday- where I was given a cake and had to dance with the staff. Highly embarrassing but lots of fun! We also loved the Mexican and Bedouin was delicious. My boyfriend managed to have steak three nights in a row so he was very happy! The breakfasts were gorgeous and I'd recommend the pizza for lunch.

It was a fabulous holiday and I couldn't recommend it more!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Manchester147
West Midlands
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Have just returned after a seven night break at this hotel with wife and 17 year old daughter. I booked this hotel after quite a bit of research given that I had not travelled to Egypt before. The hotel seems to have a large number of repeat guests and generally reviews appeared to be good.

My overall view of my week spent at this hotel was really “average.” The hotel complex is massive and spread out over quite a large area so my advice would be to contact the hotel ahead of your trip and request a room close that is central to the main reception area which in turn then leads off to restaurants, beach and main pool area. Our family room was situated in Block 34.

Regarding the room, I have no complaints whatsoever and the quality of the finish and overall feel of the room was excellent. A bonus was an excellent bathroom and regular hot showers and hair dryer, coupled with ample wardrobe space and clothes hangers! Further bonuses were the several English TV channels and movie channels.

The room also had a mini fridge which was replenished daily with bottled water but soft drinks only once per week.

Please note that this hotel is remote and without anywhere to walk outside of the hotel grounds. There is a shuttle bus from the hotel into Hurghada for a small fee if you begin to get stir crazy!

One criticism which I raised regarding the rooms in our block was the fact that all fire exit doors were locked! This was a major concern and Thomas Cook need to investigate this so please raise this with hotel management if you find your fire exit doors locked.

The hotel overall was spotless clean and encouragingly, all restaurant entrances had hand sanitizer available as you walked in through their entrance. The biggest disappointment for me was the general quality of the food which is a significant factor on an all inclusive holiday. Whilst there were several a la carte restaurants which could be freely used and which were “average,” main restaurant buffet food was below average, food quite often cold and unappealing with guests rushing around and queuing for quite a while at some food stations.

We ate breakfast in the quiet of the Mexican restaurant as opposed to the main restaurant.

Nightly entertainment was average but staff try extremely hard to put on a good performance.

Pools, beach and sea quality were excellent and with temperatures hitting 30 degrees it really did feel like summer had arrived – so no complaints! Good quality beach towels were also provided so you can save yourself some valuable baggage weight by leaving your towels at home.

There was the usual problem with guests reserving beds on the beach and the VIP pool area – really annoying but not unexpected.

Finally, regarding currency and money exchange. Take $1 dollar notes only for tipping purposes and sterling cash to exchange as you need it for trips and purchases etc. You may change sterling notes in the hotel exchange machine in the reception area at a very good rate and with minimal commission.

Overall then, a really excellent week in the sun but an average stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If a family room is required, request a no smoking room on a high floor and in a central location.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank TrevorCWestMidlands
royalmakadi, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to receive your detail review.
Thank you very much for your time and recommendations.
each single recommendation is very important for grooming Resort hospitality.

Kindly be informed that if you have any recommendations or comment Resort Management will be pleased to know about them while you are on holiday in the Resort in order in immediately implementation and explanation.

Due to the fact that mentioned of Health and Safety would like to gave full explanation as this is one of the most important point which we care about it:

1.There are no Main building in the Resort. There are 28 buildings which are located by area.
All Buildings has open corridors . There are no any building with closed end corridor in which should emergency door. There are minimum two stairs in each building from side.

2.Thomas Cook making on monthly basis Health and Safety check as well it is coming from outside company from Thomas Cook, which are specialist in health and safety issue minimum three time per year to check Resort according Health and safety issue.

3.Resort has been checked by Egyptian Ministry of Tourism which check Resort quality and Health & Safety minimum once per year.

4.Resort will not get license for operation if any of safety issue especial fire will be not implemented properly.

Your comment will be discussed with all Head of Department in order of implementation and for taking immediately action.

As already mentioned Resort Management will be pleased to received comment while guest are in the Resort in order to make immediately action for guest satisfaction as well to check each safety issue and to gave correct explanation.

SUNRISE select Royal Makadi Resort Team hope very soon to welcome you again and we are sure that you will see a lot of improvements regarding your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makadi Bay
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 30 in Makadi Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!