“Good holiday”

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Good holiday”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sunrise Royal Makadi Resort for a week holiday. Marley and rest of the "entertainment" team were very helpful organising activities during the day (e.g. archery, darts, volleyball and many more). Also credit should go to Mohammed from Team Sparkle to providing useful advice and helping us on our stay. We went on several excursions and they provided knowledgeable English speaking tour guide. The resort was kept clean and constant gardening.

The only downside to the holiday (as other reviewers have commented upon), occasionally there were power cuts which caused the air con and electricity to stop working in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Woking, Surrey
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We booked our two week holiday all inclusive after recommendations from family.
This is not all inclusive, no water sports are included, we had to buy snorkles and the pedalo was $20 an hour.
The food was bland and unless you went to the main buffett which was fully booked each lunch time it was either burger and chips, chicken and chips, lamb burger and chips or chips or pizza.
They advertise 7 restuarants but they have only 6, the Greek Taverna is closed.
The best restauran is the Asian which is always fully booked but never actually full.
The pools are great, big pools and large beach so although it was full the pools were never over crowded. The family pool had water slides which were perfect.
This place used to be amazing however think in recent years they have slipped and now is just average. Don't get me wrong the rooms were large and clean and cleaned every day. The site is immaculate have lots of people keeping it clean. However it is the final touches to make it the 5* it has that it lacks.
If you want to go snorkling go next door to Fort Arabesque, amazing coral you can just walk out onto, we went 6.30am and it was amazing.
Take Amercian $$$$ the exchange rate is in our favour, take lots of 1$ bills for tips.
The wine is rubbish as is the draft beer. Ask for beer out of the bottle.
It is really hot so expect a dodgy tummy.
Everbody wants tipping. There is no mini bar.
The spa is fantasti however haggle, we got a massage for £32 and it was Amazing!

Room Tip: Not number 33 although this is close all you will here is the mexican restaurant music from 7am unti...
3 Thank MayJay
Oxford
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Four of us recently stayed for a week at SRM. A bit like the last review I could echo a lot of the same thoughts.
Positives - good sized family room, cleaned very day and the artwork from the cleaner was brilliant (perhaps me tipping him £200 Egyptian every day spurred him on!). Site kept clean with a lot of gardening going on. Enjoyed going to the Mexican for breakfast (far quieter than the zoo of the main restaurant which you will do well to avoid if you can). Enjoyed most of the a la carte restaurants esp the Asian and Arrabeya or however it is spelled. Around the World, Tbones were fairly poor. I even dabbled with the a l carte red wine and can heartily recommend the Egyptian wine at £300 Egyptian. The cheaper Lebanese one was disappointing. Never had to fight to find pool loungers..went down casually around 9am and always got the same spot around the main pool. Pools seemed clean although by end of the day there was a film of grime around the stones (could just be dust from said stones). Liked the Animation team for their humour (special mention to Karem)..so although we only did the trial dive which was excellent, we didn't join in with anything else but never got hounded. Ask Karem to do his Russian impression...very good. Lots of bottled water available was a good touch. Decent gym but very hot one morning when they opened a bit late.

Negatives - as per the last review, the watering of the grass did create a nasty aroma. Even the Mexican restaurant had a few incense sticks going one night. Whether this caused my bout of the Cairo belly I don't know. I actually think the food prep was very good with salads washed in bottled water so we were told. I actually think the only place where you could end up drinking tap water was when they washed out the drinks blenders at the bars...anyway I had a slightly dodgy belly and others did as well. Amusingly one of the reps told me "only the Brits get a jippy tummy, the Germans never complain...they are like machines"...when I said I was half German he said "but you are only half ill"...made me laugh anyway. The main restaurant is a pretty awful experience, just so busy with people jostling you in the queues, literally 100s of people milling around...stick to Mexican for breakfast and get a booking for the a la Cartes at night, even if you have to use your rep to book you a slot (he did that twice for us). For lunch just grab a freshly cooked pizza from the snack bar...very good or failing that try the Around the World. I would agree the hotel is not 5 star, perhaps 4 at a push. A huge site and lacked any sort of feeling in my opinion. Nightime around the bar was just noisy, busy and all a bit rubbish...the hotel should have a few open air bars to spread the guests around. Perhaps I am being a bit snobbish but just didn't like the overall chaos, noise, numbers of people milling around. Drinks served in small plastic cups was rubbish but understandable bearing in mind the amount of concrete and nearby pools but just added to that NOT 5* feel. Drinks served at the bars...pretty poor, cheap spirits but I suppose the beer was cold.

I do think the mgt team are very efficient and on the ball and always asking after you, making sure things are OK. I do think the food prep was good, although think the food overall a bit bland (not 5 star at all). Main reception are kept clean and nice lobby bar even if the cocktails a bit ropey, at least they make a effort. Reps worked hard and airport transfers well managed so no issues with Thomas Cook over that.

Would I go back - definitely not. Like to try another hotel, smaller with more of a "feel" to it. SRM just lacks that warmth, far too much concrete, lack of a feel good factor that I like and it certainly was not 5*. Did have a decent holiday with my girlfriend and her kids and we met some nice people so not complaining. It just could be better.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 10 in a family room. Seemed ok if quite a good walk away. I am sure there are bet...
2 Thank Khristoff
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This is our favorite hotel in Egypt not because it is posh and grand but more down to the fact that it is without doubt the best value for money hotel we have ever found in many years of travel to Egyptian resorts, So it was no surprise when Our son decided to get married here on 26th May, I have reviewed this hotel quite a few times over the years so no point repeating what I said before, Suffice to say the hotel grounds,rooms and main areas are looking better than ever which is a credit to all of the amazing staff here at SRM.

I would like to thank the management and staff for the unbelievable effort they all went to ensuring our son, daughter in law and all of our friends and family had a holiday and wedding day to remember.

If you are looking for a great value hotel which is family friendly with excellent staff, al a cart resturants all part of the deal look no further than Sunrise Select Royal Makadi resort and Spa.

Many Many thanks from John & Yvonne

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank FOCUSVON
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at this resort. I am afraid the hotel has some major issues with consistency and quality. The quality of the food was acceptable but definitely isn't of a 5 star quality. We are seasoned travelers and generally have a positive outlook on where we stay and go to but there were just too many problems here not to provide some feedback.

The room was not great, poorly decorate the front door didn't close properly and small things like the toilet/bathroom door didn't have a working latch on it, The aircon (which is vital in Egypt!) dripped all the time even when it wasnt turned off. despite the maintenance man visiting three times this wasn't fixed for the duration of the holiday.

The bars are really poor, serving warm drinks in dirty glasses. Asking for lemon in my Gin and Tonic was greeted with an incredulous look from the barman! They run out of glasses frequently and mix cocktails in tiny plastic cups (the kind you get at a water fountain). The family bar closes promptly at 5 which means the only bar open late afternoon is the pagoda bar which gets very busy. The bars serve food during the day but this is very basic just pizzas and burgers or grilled chicken.

Some days they have a pool side BBQ but standards of food hygiene are very concerning. We watched the chef forming kofta mix on large skewers with his gloved hands and then using the same hand to remove the cooked ones. These were deposited into the same container that he had just taken the raw meat from! We fed this back to the guest manager (a tall russian lady) who took copious notes but we noted this happening the next day.

The restaurants are passable but quality and standards are low. T-Bones the "steak house" is about the worst as my steak was ordered well done but was served frozen!!!

On our floor in block 32 the main electric cabinet was left wide open which with young kids around is a major risk. I asked for this to be closed but they never did it.....

I could go on, but would just advise that if you plan to go you dont expect too much. The hotel us very clean and the people are pleasant. But clearly this place has some major issues to deal with!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

just arrived home from two weeks at SRM, not bad but read on as they were some issues...
I am a genuine traveller and not a serial moaner but this place does need some changes to make a wonderful holiday it has potential..
checking in: was a bit of a nightmare, not organised, waited about half an hour before we got our room keys...then herded aorund the complex like a group of school kids, we found our our block, 36...felt like we were outisde the complex and a good 5-10 minue to reception.
family rooms: were very spacious and plenty of storage space...overlooking a pool with bar. sunbeds first week was not an issue before 8.00 am but second week we had to join the masses and leave towles as early as 7.00 if you wanted a particular spot...with small children it was handy to be near the steps to pool so that was a preference to us...
we ate at the mexican for breakfast everyday, nearer to our room and less busy...
al la carte restaurants were good, some better than others but vegetarian was limited, although they did say that they were about to change the menus to include more...sorry I couldn't benefit...
husband couldn't drink the gin, so had to have beer which was okay and soft drinks all okay...
we all had tummy issues as did nearlyy every family we spoke too, hubby and i have visiited egypt 6 times before and only had issues on one occasion before so not sure what caused this...although there was a lot of other tourist who didn;t have good hand hygeine...so no matter how good you are there is always someone going to spoli it...I do think there was a swimming pool issue aswell, didn;t see any testing or cleaning of the pool..
one thing that really was bad was the water the gardeners used to water the lawns etc...it absolutley stunk, when i asked the rep about it he said it was treated recycled water, which they had to use, but it was so offensive...
complex is very very big, from block 36 it was a good 10 minute walk to the beach so not what i thought, when I booked the hotel as on the beach...not wrong but depends on where you rre located, but walk was pleasant through the gardens ( providing they weren't watering)
not sure I would rate as 5* as had better in sharm at 4*,
lots of power cuts lats few days of holiday, which meant very uncomfortable eating in the restaurants, no air conditioning,staff were very frustrated by this aswell an did a wonderful job in extreme circumstance as places became pitch black..
things could have been better but all in all not a bad holiday...but as I said earleier room for improvement...
oh by the way visas are $15, even from the egyptian bank...were told from other trip advisors that you could get for $10...but sadly not.....

happy to answer any direct questions....

Room Tip: family rooms are very spacious
6 Thank 2707Jane1957
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We spent a week at this resort in May . Disappointed in our room as it was not 5 star quality although the cleanliness was good. The animation team made our holiday especially Ahmed, Jon
and Kareem they were great. Our rating of average is based on the quality of the room only as we would rate the resort as good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Iberotel Makadi Beach
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 29 in Makadi Bay
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!