“Fantastic holiday!”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 18 July 2013

What a fantastic holiday!!
Could not fault the staff, facilities or location!
A special thanks to Essa at the main pool bar, for making our holiday as great as it was! He could not do enough for us throughout our holiday – very friendly, very welcoming and he always had a smile on his face!
The only recommendation I would give is to try the a-la carte restaurants. They are much better than the main restaurant and the choice and quality of the food is fantastic
Don't listen to the bad reviews, we loved this place and the people in it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becky S
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

Dear our valued customer,
The SUNRISE Royal Makadi Team thanks you very much for your precious time that you have spent to post your opinion about our Hotel.

We would like to thank you for this outstanding comment on trip advisor. The best reward for Hoteliers is satisfied and pleased guests. But for our Hotel the greatest reward is a guest who feels with us like home.

We wish you a lovely time back at home and are looking forward to welcoming you at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort soon again!

There are newer reviews for SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just come back from a weeks family holiday at this resort. Loved every minute of it, the resort is spectacular, clean and well maintained. We had lots of choices of restaurants to eat from.
The entertainment team were great and very friendly. Becky the scouse girl chatted with everyone pool side and Mido and he's team dome a great job. There were so many staff working you we treated like royalty.
Loved this place and will defo return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Seb B

Reviewed 15 July 2013

What can I say When I booked this hotel I had never used this group or chain of hotels , and I didn't have anything to worry about, the hotel is large but compact nothing was more than a 10 minute walk. Room was very large and very clean with a very user friendly bath room , shower was also very good too with great water pressure. The room attendant was very friendly and always asked if everything was ok. Pools what a choice, all pools all were clean and safe with a lovely walk in area in two of the pools and water sides were fun, good size towels suppled daily from the towel man and again very helpful, the grounds of the hotel are spotless and well maintain lovely for photos. The beach is great and the sea very calm great for little ones and plenty of fish to be seen to with out going too deep. There are drinks bars by all of the pools with plenty of cold bottled water that you just help yourself to. Restaurants were absolutely great and the hotel has a great system of touch screens in the main reception for booking them with a great section of food available. The main buffet area was busy but again food was hot and plentiful and very tasty. The al-cate restaurants food was amazing and was lovely to dress up for dinner. The staff in this hotel stand out to me as they all go that extra mile to make your holiday special, from the room attended and his towel art to the pool man who makes a point of knowing your name to say good morning to you. The entertainment team work so hard with a great program to keep everyone involved both day and night they never seamed to stop. This place made me feel at home from the moment i arrived I was able to relax and switch off and enjoy my holiday

Room Tip: Just e-mail the hotel and tell them what you would like , I did and my room was perfect ,
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Sue S

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Have just returned from SRMB having spent most of the 2 weeks in bed ill.I can not put this down to the hotel food as I only ate one meal there before becoming sick.I did get to go out from a few days and what I saw was very good,the gardens are kept lovely but as one other guest has said they do smell of sewage when they water them.My patner said that the food in the main buffet was ok but nothing worth writting home about.Also if you go at 7pm the buffet has been taken over by the Russians.The beach is very good and there were always plenty of beds.The local beer is disgusting as are the wines.All the staff go out of there way to be happy and polite and make you feel welcome.The room we were in (block 30) was ok but was no 5 star the air conditioning worked ok but was so noisy you had to turn it off at night to get some sleep.All in all it was a ok holiday but I have stayed at better in Egypt.This is the first time I've been sick whilst in Egypt and somewhat put a damper on the holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeff r
royalmakadi, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

Dear our valued guest,
Thank you for valuing your stay at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort.
We are always appreciating constructive criticism as we see a chance in it to improve our services in order to meet and exceed the expectations of our precious guests, we apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations and your comments have been forwarded to the concerned Department Heads.
The SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Team is wishing you and your family all the best back at home and hopes to welcome you again at our resort!

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have never wrote a review before but having visited this hotel for 2 weeks I had to make my thought's known.

Rooms = Very big, comfy but maybe the cleaner should pay more attention to cleaning and sweeping the room than making swans out of towels.

Food = Was ok in the buffet - The Al a Carte's were a lot better.

Animation Team - Mido Brown and Becky were fantastic they could not do enough to help us and the people we met over there.

We stayed in block 10 so we were right by the pool which my son loved the slides and the shallower part is a great touch as we could relax as he played in pool in front of us with no worries.

Ok so the bad part of this holiday happened on the 2rd night - We had got changed and been for tea and wanted to have a walk around the complex to try and get a feel for the place as we walked towards the left of reception there is around 5 shops, all the owners / workers were standing outside talking my little lad spotted a animal lampshade and went to have a look at it, I asked him to put it down which he did but then the comment from the shop owner and friends was rude and disrespectful - "Its ok if he breaks it your wife can pay us in kind" as one started to look her up and down. My response was like any normal person and told he to show some respect but then him and his friends started to talk in Egyptian regarding my wife ( I know this as someone we met there who was with us at the time can speak Egyptian) so things got a little heated.

After that happened my wife felt very unsecure going anywhere on her own and would not walk around that part of the hotel for the remaining two weeks!

Would I travel back to this hotel. No I would not and I don't think the resort lives up to its 5* rating its more like a 3* / 4* max.

All in all I would class this as an average holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Andy P

Dear our valued guest,
Thank you for valuing your stay at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Yet again had an amazing holiday at this hotel as I have already done reviews on SRMB I will make it short. I became poorly whilst here no fault of the hotel and can not say how well I was looked after as I travelled on my own it was a blessing that the management especially the night manager Salah Mahdy and other members went out of their way to take care of me. Since my last visit the hotel is looking even better the grounds are stunning and the the lobby bar looking good!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank destinysuz

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel. I travelled with 3 others and it was our first time in Egypt. I was quite worried about going as I had read a lot of mixed reviews and was unsure what to expect but I have never been so sad to leave somewhere before.

When we arrived at the hotel we had the staff say "welcome home" and they handed us a cold towel and drink. They then collected out passports and sorted everything out before taking us to our rooms. We were in Block 38 which was close to everything so were very happy with this. Our luggage was then brought to the room not so long after.

The room was of a good size with a bathroom and balcony. It was cleaned to a good standard and towels were changed everyday if you wanted them to be. (you left them in the bath/shower and they would change them for you). We had a mini bar which had water and soft drinks. Soft drinks were replenished once a week but water was replenished everyday. We had no problems with the room and wasn't too fussed about things as we only use it to sleep and get ready in.

The Hotel has 7 Al a Cartes and we tried all of them but the Greek. Our favourites were the Asian and the Mediterranean. The service overall was very good and you got your food quite quick, they were also very good at keeping your drink topped up!
We tried the main buffet a couple of times but didn't really enjoy it so stuck to eating in the Al a Cartes.
There were a number of options for lunch including stone backed pizzas near the Pergola bar as well as burgers/hotdogs and chips. There was also a lunch buffet at the main restaurant.

We went on a few excursions and were very happy with what we had picked. We booked our excursions with Essam and he was so helpful and funny! Throughout the holiday he often came over to talk to us and make sure we were happy.
We booked quad biking in the desert and a catamaran trip.

Quadbiking- This was such a fun trip and would recommend it! After having a safety briefing we got to have a try on the quad bikes and if you didn't feel you could control them or if they didn't think you could you had the option of going in the jeep. You then got to drive the quads through the desert for an hour and then stopped at a Bedouin village where you could have a camel ride and watch them make the carpets and bags. If you wanted to buy something you could but no-one hassled you into buying anything. You then drove the quads back through the desert for an hour.

Catamaran- This was a spectacular evening. Leaving the dock at around 14:30 and returning just after sunset, watching the sunset from the ocean is something that I would highly recommend. You sail from the dock out to a coral location for snorkelling, for those new to snorkelling the crew explain the process and lead a group of first timers out to explore the reefs. Once every one is back on board you sail out to a second corral location for some more snorkelling with the option to do some jumping/diving off the catamaran, you're given an hour at the second location which flew by.
We were lucky to be able to get on the netting at the very front of the boat and on the return trip back to dock we had a spectacular view of the sunset. Highly Recommended!

I also booked a diving trip for myself through the diving centre at the resort. I have a fear of the sea and was determined to try and get over it. I explained this to the diving instructors and they looked after me for the whole trip and even when I panicked they were good at calming me down. They were very professional and would recommend doing the diving. We went to two diving sites and did a bit of snorkelling as well. It was amazing to see all the fish and coral and if they weren't so fast you could have touched them! Unfortunately I couldn't dive very far as I had problems with the pressure in my ears and nothing seemed to make it better but I still had a fantastic time and still got up close to everything. I don't feel as scared about being in the sea after doing the diving.

The best thing about this hotel is the Animation team! I can't thank them enough for making my holiday so good. It wouldn't be the same without them! They work so hard with long hours but they always have a smile on their face and remain so happy and upbeat! I have so much respect for them, I don't know how they do it!
The Animation team tried to get everybody involved in all activities but didn't pressurise you into it, they would still come and talk to you and make sure everyone was happy! There were activities to suit everyone and we took part in activities we don't normally do. (Shout out to John! hopefully my latino dancing will be better next time I see you!)

Special thanks to Momo (security, sabotage!), Boca (money money money), Ayman, Kareem (Wuka Wuka), Bob, Ibiza (OMU,OMG), Marley (The master Archer), John, Ghazal, DJ Kamba and DJ Zidan. You guys made our holiday and without you this hotel wouldn't be the same! You all made such an effort to get to know us and we are really sad you can't be with us back here!

Overall we had an amazing holiday and can't wait to come back to our "second home".

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Jaz Aquamarine
#34 of 222 in Hurghada
SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort
Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!