Just back from an amazing week’s holiday at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort.
I could write a short novel about how much we enjoyed it here…..here are some of the highlights
Ala Carte Restaurants – 7 in total and if you’re all inclusive there are no limits on how many times you can visit each one. Booking a table is easy using the touch screen monitors next to reception and you can book tables 3 days in advance. We tried out 6 of the restaurants….Mexican, Italian, Arabian, Asian, Mediterranean and T-Bones, unfortunately we didn’t have time to try the Greek one. Our favourites would have to be the Mexican where the sea bass fajitas were to die for, Arabia for its al fresco dining and the Asian restaurant where every course was utterly delicious. Your glass will never go empty either as the waiters are always very keen to keep it topped up.
Animation Team – Nothing was too much for them, I’ve never met such a friendly, energetic and helpful team who seemed to go above and beyond their duties to ensure that each and every guest was happy not only with the entertainment but with their rooms, restaurants and holiday as a whole.
Daytime Activities – No chance to get bored whatsoever for those people who don’t relish the thought of basking all day in the sunshine, activities run from early morning right throughout the day and included yoga, water aerobics, belly dancing, bowls, darts, body workouts, volley ball, Zumba to name but a few.
Pools – We tended to stay around the pool in front of building 35 / 36 as we found it quieter and less crowded than the main pool, the swim up pool bar was also easier to get to than the one in the main pool. The staff around the pool here were so friendly and happy, like all the staff in this resort nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. This hotel also has a “normal” swimming pool, next to the main pool in which you can swim lengths if you’re feeling energetic!
Rooms – We stayed in block 33 and had one double and one twin room. Both rooms were spotlessly clean; there was a huge amount of storage space, lots of hot water at any time of the day and a nice powerful shower. The fridge was stocked with bottles of soft drinks and water on arrival and the water replenished daily when the rooms were cleaned. Black out curtains in the room made for a good night sleep, along with the aircon. Balcony was small but cosy and secluded from the rooms either side. This block is in an excellent location for the Mexican restaurant which serves breakfast every day; we always went here as the main restaurant tended to be a bit like a cattle market! It’s also only a 2 minute walk from the pool (at block 35/36), a 3-4 minute walk from reception and probably a 7 minute walk from the beach.
Alcohol – Unlike a lot of all-inclusive resorts, the cocktails here actually taste nice as does the wine :-)
Now for the low points, the things that in my opinion let this hotel down slightly...
Wifi – Only free in one area of the main pool bar and even here it was temperamental, snail paced speed at best and sometimes non-existent.
Main Restaurant – Far too big a space, was like a cattle market most of the time which people pushing and shoving to get to the food counters, we only ate here once on a lunchtime and that was enough to put us off. I’d recommend using the Mexican restaurant for breakfast, the pool bar or around the world for lunch and then one of the a la carte restaurants in the evening
Beach – Far too crowded, the sunbeds are literally on top of each other. The water is nice in that you don’t need to wear shoes in as its all sand, no stones or coral unlike other resorts I’ve been too, the downside to this is there didn’t seem to be any little fish swimming around.
Towel Stealing – BEWARE!!!! We left out towels on our loungers at the beach at 11am to go for a walk, came back half an hour later and one of them was missing. When we reported this to the towel attendant, we were told we would have to wait until the end of the day for him to do a towel stocktake, if he had one towel too many we could have it back!!! So in a heat of 37 degrees my dad was expected to sit all day on a boiling hot sunbed without a towel. Being unhappy with this response I got the attendant to call his manager and explained to him that the towel had been stolen, thankfully he then told the attendant to give us another towel. We were very wary after this, taking our towels with us when we went for a walk or for lunch rather than leaving them on the sunbeds.
Not wanting to end on a bad note, here are some little bits of info that I would have liked to have known before I got to the resort for peace of mind
1. Keeping your room on day of departure – The cost for this was £27
2. Currency – They accept most currencies at the hotel but seem to advertise most charges in USD or Euros
3. Towels – You are given a towel card which you can exchange for a pool towel. This card does not have to be handed in until you leave the hotel, so even if you check out of your room at 12 noon on the day of departure you can keep your towel for the day and then hand the card in when you leave
4. Hairdryers – In bathrooms and very powerful and seemed to be better than my one at home
5. Safety Deposit Boxes – In room and free of charge
We will definitely be returning to this hotel, and can highly recommend it
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunrise Select Royal Makadi is located in the heart of Makadi bay. The hotel is built on relaxing landscape, with spectacular avers and fine sand beach for enjoyable vacation. Distance form Hurghada international Airport 30 minutes, from Hurghada downtown 35 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Southall Travel, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrise Royal Makadi Hotel Makadi Bay
- Sunrise Makadi Bay
- Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay