“Best hotel we have ever been to!”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Best hotel we have ever been to!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We are just back from an absolutely amazing hotel at Sunrise Royal Makadi. It is the first time we have ever said we will go back to the same hotel and we can't wait for our next visit which we have already priced up!
The hotel itself is great - spacious and clean with lovely rooms. The pool is lovely and there were always plenty of sunbeds, both around the pool and on the beach. The facilities are excellent in particular the A la carte restaurants. The Asian restaurant was our favourite but we highly recommend trying all of them.
All of the staff are brilliant - they can't do enough for you and go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable holiday.
The animation team deserve a special mention - so friendly and helpful, particularly Kareem and Turbo - thanks guys for making our holiday so brilliant and for making sure everyone had a fun and enjoyable time. Really looking forward to seeing you all again later in the year.

3 Thank janeturner65
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear our valued guest,

The SUNRISE Royal Makadi Team thanks you very much for these wonderful compliments.

We are very pleased that we could meet your expectations and proud of your comments!

We wish you a lovely time back at home and are looking forward to welcoming you at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort soon again!

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
England
Reviewed 25 May 2014

There were six of us, spanning 3 generations - we all agree that we had a fantastic holiday but our opinions about the hotel do differ and range from an 80 year old total fan to a grumpy husband who was less than impressed, me and our three girls (14, 10 & 10) were somewhere in between.

I removed the transfers from our Thomas Cooke online booking which cost a bomb and arranged a private transfer with the hotel. I did ask for a quote on limousine transfers to give the girls a treat and start our holiday in style - I was quoted 90 euros return for all 6 of us which was a bargain and still very much cheaper than Thomas Cook. I double checked it would be a limo and then I booked it. I didn't tell the family, other than to say that there'd be a surprise waiting for them at the airport when we landed. Suffice to say, there was only me surprised when a typical white mini bus collected us, no biggie but a tad disappointing. When I asked at the desk at the hotel, apparently it's classed as a limo transfer. I put it down to experience and it was still much better and much cheaper than the TC transfers.

Our room was near the Mexican - it was nothing special but was ok and what we expected. The kids beds weren't made up on arrival and despite going to reception 3 times, they didn't sort it until the following day so we had to roll up towels to use as pillows. The towel creations made up for this later :)

As it was over Easter I researched all the hotels with heated pools and chose Sunrise, I even emailed them to make sure it would be heated when we were there and got an emphatic 'yes' so I was a bit miffed when I found out it wasn't the case and was really cold.

Right, that's the end of the moaning - after I stopped sulking and behaving like a spoiled child, I realised that despite a few grumbles every thing else was pretty great.

I've been to Egypt All Inclusive about 8 times (sharm, Taba, marsa) this was by far the best food we'd had in Egypt. We ate in the a la cartes every night and they were all a pleasant surprise, our faves were Tbones, the Bedouin and the Mediterranean. It made a big difference to our holiday as it felt like we were going out somewhere different every night.

None of us had a dodgey tummy at all through our stay. The food, wherever you ate, was always hot and cooked thoroughly. On one occasion at lunch, my chicken from the BBQ wasn't cooked - I mentioned it to our waiter and the head chef came out immediately, looked at the chicken and removed all of the cooked chicken from the BBQ. Instead of putting me off, this gave me real confidence that they took it really seriously.

We booked a private tour to Luxor through the Thomas Cook rep - we could've got it cheaper elsewhere but considering the political climate I wanted a bit more peace of mind and I was happy with the price. We all had a fantastic day.

This is a a perfect spot for anyone with children, the facilities were spot on and there was something to keep everyone entertained. We didn't use the kids club but it looked great and we heard lots of good feedback.

The animation team were very friendly without being intrusive and were genuinely interested in getting your feedback.

The hotel is huge (which was my dh's main complaint - yes it's ridiculous, much worse than a cold pool!) but it never felt overcrowded and there wasn't a mad dash for sun beds at sunrise - the hotel was full but (other than the buffet) it felt quite quiet and relaxed.

Having experienced Egyptian hospitality, the sunrise offered much of the same. The odd individual was a bit indifferent (my 10 year old went for the towels one day and the towel man told her that he didn't have enough and sent her to the beach, she knew she wasn't allowed down by herself so luckily she came back and told Grandma, even though she's 80, she was also directed to the beach for the 6 towels - someone in authority must have noticed, rushed over and the pool guy was duly sent to the beach to retrieve 6 towels. Again, a good recovery and a situation that proved they want to offer a great service). Some other individuals were exceptional and always went that extra step. The guy at the pool bar in the main pool definitely deserves a shout out.

Snorkelling was good off of the Beach from the hotel next door on the left. We were disappointed with their dive school though - they weren't great with the kids (even though they're padi qualified, so not new to it, just a bit inexperienced).

We had a fantastic family holiday, and I would definitely return (if there weren't so many other places to see!). Taba remains my fave Egyptian spot and then it's a tie between here and Marsa (the diving is better in Marsa but the Sunrise is by far the better comparable hotel).

The majority of people we spoke to were return guests (which speaks volumes) and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else - I can't say that we felt exactly the same but I could completely understand their affection for the place.

Apart from some minor grumbles, it's a safe bet for a great family holiday.

Go and enjoy :)

1 Thank SpamboEngland
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear our valued guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing SUNRISE Royal Makadi Resort for your holidays in Egypt and we hope that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for taking your precious time and giving us your comments. In fact as our valuable guest your opinion is very important for us as it helps us to improve our standards and quality.

Thank you again for your time, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in SUNRISE Royal Makadi Resort.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Amazing, our first time in Egypt The sunrise royal resort exceeded our expectations. The staff were amazing, family room was a great size and very clean. Animation team were first class, Coco & Marley

Room Tip: family room consisted of two large rooms, very clean, great size. we were in block 35 which is by th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa C

north yorks
Reviewed 24 May 2014

just arrived back from sunset royal staff absolutely marvelous rooms kept spotless A la carte restaurents good but the main restaurents nothing short of a cattle market this restaurent badly lets the hotel down manners well there isnt any we have travelled the world i have never seen such greed and waste in all our travels would i visit again certainly not i'm still deaf from the noise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear our valued guest,

The SUNRISE Royal Makadi Team thanks you very much for your compliments.

We are very pleased that we could meet your expectations!

As we are working constantly on improving our services to meet and exceed our guests' expectations, we appreciate your comments and have forwarded them to the concerned Department Heads.

Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our expectations of the Sunrise Makadi Resort were exceeded and the best family holiday we've had so far. We went there last April during the Easter break and the hotel facilities are topnotch and the animation team should be commended for being so attentive to the guests but not obtrusive at all. Our 2 kids, aged 10 and 7, have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay at Makadi and been persistently reminding me and my wife since our return to England that we should definitely go back to Sunrise Makadi for our next holiday. With the new waterpark being built, we would definitely return.
The room we were given was massive - our kids had their own room and the mini-fridge was stocked daily with bottled water. The gentleman who cleaned our room daily always made a towel decor, to the delight of my wife and kids.
Food choices was great. We never experienced an upset stomach which just shows how the hotel maintains cleanliness and hygiene to a high standard. We sampled the ala carte restaurants on some nights (Asian, T-Bone, Mexican) and the food was great but what made the dining experience even better was the service that the staff provided.
For the perfect family holiday, you can't go wrong with Sunrise Makadi!

1 Thank RBVillar

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Me and my family went to the Sunrise select royal makadi in april.
Overall it was a nice holiday, we had a nice room which was really clean (sometimes even too clean when they didn't only clean the room but also folded my clothes and put them on a nice pile) and the pools were also great. You have 4 pools and they are all really nice but we preferred the biggest one because the other ones we're more for people with children, but I suppose they are great when you have children.
The food in the main restaurant at night wasn't that good I thought but this was no problem because you could easily sign up to go for dinner in one of the 7! alacarte restaurants and this was all included in our all in! We especially liked the asian restaurant and mexican! Breakfast and lunch were good at the main restaurants, and if you liked it you could also just eat at the pool bar. The staff was really nice thought I noticed that there wasn't one woman working in the hotel which is to my political beliefs very wrong, but I understand that the situation in Egypt is different than in Europe.
We also went on a quat safari which was organized by the hotel and it was amazing! I would do it again in a heartbeat, the desert is so beautiful and it gives you a kick to drive the quat !
The animation team was nice as well, they organized a lot of stuff and they were really fun!
The home-rif was a bit of a let down, not so much to see but in the hotel next to the hotel they do have a nice rif to go snorkeling and it's only a 2 minute walk away!

2 Thank DHLouise
Dear our valued guest,

The SUNRISE Royal Makadi Team thanks you very much for your compliments.

We are very pleased that we could meet your expectations!

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is our 7 time in Egypt but this is the best hotel we have stayed in. Every where is very clean food is very good there is always something for everyone, there are 7 al a carte restaurants which are all great the best one for us is the Asian. The amination team are all great we had a laugh and joke with them every day and if you did not want to join in they didn't mind they were back again in the morning for a chat. We could not fault this hotel and look forward to return hopefully in September/October this year.

1 Thank Sharon J
royalmakadi, General Manager at SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Makadi Bay
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#3 of 30 in Makadi Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,151 reviews
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!