“Virtually Faultless”

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
United Kingdom
“Virtually Faultless”
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Stayed for two weeks - yes Hotel complex is large but it is eay to find your way around.Hotel and grounds are spotless and the staff are extremly friendly and efficient - a little tipping goes a long way! - did not enjoy the busy main restaurant too much but all of the a la catre's were excellent for both staff and quality of food - booking system is a bit of a pain but the restaurants are worth it. An excellent experience from start to finish

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank RFOD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Oldham
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I went to SRMR on 14th November for 2 weeks. It was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and would definitely go back again. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful - not overly so though - some of the reviews mention staff being untoward with people but I did not observe anything like this.

If you want to book to go the the A la carte restaurants people do start queueing at around 9:45! You need to book a day in advance. I went to the Mediterranean twice, the Italian and the Bedouin Tent twice - fabulous atmosphere!

I went on the 2 day Luxor Trip with the Hot Air balloon and it was absolutely fabulous. I would definitely recommend it. The tour guide Rabie (Yella Yella!) was so interesting and knowledgeable. The people we met on the trip were such a good laugh and made it all the more enjoyable.

The staff are very accomodating and will try and help you as much as they can. The russian tourists were fairly rude. I did speak to a fair few hoiday makers whilst there and it was a great atmosphere. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway then look no further. The food in the main restaurant was ok. The pasta station was good and the omlettes in the morning were good.

The hotel is very clean and the grounds are well maintained. A little tip does go a very long way. Ramadan was great in the lobby bar - say hi from Cheryl & Kev - he really looked after us.

We got some T shirts from the shop in the hotel with our names in Arabic on the back (you can barter) - a great souvenir of our time there. I would not class it as a 5* hotel but it is the best all inclusive hotel I have been to where staff will serve you drinks. It can be difficult to get sunbeds on the beach but I preferred to be by the pool.

The snorkelling is absolutely amazing. Some friends of our got their snorkels and masks cheaper than we did from the shop near the Aqua Centre - 195 egyptian pounds for both. We paid 300 from the shop near the lobby bar! There are a few people who will come and try to sell you things whilst you are sunbathing but a polite no and they will be on their way. If you want to ask me any questions please feel free......

• Liked — The fabulous snorkelling location and staff. Mohammed rep is always about as well.
  • Disliked — Entertainment at night was a bit samey but didn't make any difference to our holiday.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ChezzerP
Devon
Reviewed 12 December 2008

This was just about the biggest hotel complex I have ever seen. It goes on for acres and it is easy to get lost in the endless blocks of apartments. We were ferried there by coach from Luxor in a convoy of 100 vehicles under armed guard. This took about 5 hours which is not to be recommended as it is a large chunk out of your holiday. Fly direct to Hurghada if poss.
We were transferred to this hotel at the last minute and it was the opposite of what we had asked for as it was our honeymoon.

The plusses were:
good quality rooms
thecomplex was kept incredibly clean
very friendly staff
excellent food
excellent service from restaurant staff
good for people with kids
tipping is not encouraged which makes life easier

the minuses were:
Huge and impersonal complex
constant harrassment from trip/activity sellers when you sit by the pool
English are a minority, Russians are the majority
A la carte restaurant is a bit like a huge canteen
The few beach umberellas get "reserved" very early
you have to make reservations for the proper restaurants a day in advance
There is nothing except the complex in this area, going outside is not encouraged
you could be in absolutely any country in the world as it is so isolated
the pool side entertainments are annoying and play music all day
there is a butlins type feel to it
a huge shock to the system if you have just done a cruise or something else on a smaller more personal scale

• Liked — clean, new, spacious
  • Disliked — noisey and too many rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gillywiggs
Leeds
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I have just returned from a week's stay at Royal Makadi with my friend and I already wish I was back there. The hotel its self was immaculate. The public areas were always spotless and the rooms were well fitted and comfortable. We even had a walk in shower with a seat in which was greta for washing away the sand at the end of the day!

In terms of food, the a la carte restaurants were great especially the Asia however it was a bit manic actually trying to book them. You need to head to mediterenean restaurant between 10am and 11am to book for the next day however people were queuing as early as 9.30. You are given a ticket with a number and then have to wait to be called to see if there is any room left. My advice would be to queue a little bit earlier but not to have a set plan for which restaurant you eat at at which night. Go with an open mind and you won't be disappointed. They have just opened a new restaurant called Oasis Bedoiun Tent. It is a tent in the desert which may not sound great but believe me the atmosphere is great. You sit on little cushions to eat, the waiters are in authentic dress and you can even have a puff on a shisha pipe. A great evening....look out for mustapha and emad, they were our great waiters and made sure we had a great night.

The buffet was a little less impressive, however, my friend is veggie so there were only a few option for her and I am a fairly picky eater which probably limited me some. The pasta station was good but a little repetitive and I would avoid the salad if possible as this has been washed in normal tap water.

The resort itself is about 30 mins outside of Hurghada and is limited in what is around it if you are the kind of holidaymakers who like to experience local culture. There is a shuttle bus into Hurghada every morning and evening and would recommend Hurghada marina as a great place for meal outside the hotel. Also if you walk along the beach in the resort you are able to move between the hotel nearby some of which have shops....be warned though, you have to haggle for everything and will be bothered into going into shops. If you don't want to buy anything best to say "La, Shukran" or no, thank you in arabic.

All in all it was a great holiday, very relaxing and good fun. I would definitely go back again.

• Liked — Location adn Weather
  • Disliked — Harassment by shop owners
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank reefchick
wombwell barnsley south yorks
Reviewed 19 November 2008

just returned from royal makadi,1st week on nile cruise,brilliant but then needed a rest and some sun. hotel was great. good food, clean and the staff were brill, plenty of choice can recommend asian resturant and main buffett resturant was also good.if there was any bad points... russians ,ignorant and arrogant, not liked by staff and other tourists but will definitelly go again.

• Liked — great location good food plenty of choices
  • Disliked — russians
4 Thank barnsleybobw
Brussels
Reviewed 5 November 2008

After having read wonderful reviews about this hotel we had high expectations...
The hotel itself is very clean and the room was very nice, absolutely nothing to complain about.
When we were at the pool we used the main pool which at the beginning of the week was freezing cold but towards the end of the week it felt like they had begun heating it. Although the temperatures were high it was quite windy and the beach was more protected from the wind. However, arriving there at 8.30 in the morning nearly all the beds had been tagged by absolutely anything to make sure they were 'reserved'. It meant I had to get up early and would already sit at the beach at 8 o'clock and even then the choice was limited.
For booking the A la carte restaurant I spent 45 minute in the queue only to find in the evening that the reservation was for the next evening!! This was mentioned nowhere, we did not bother for the rest of the week.
The buffet? Well breakfast was really extensive and plenty of choice. Lunch and dinner were a different story. Mostly the same things all the time whether there was a special theme night on or not. Let's not forget that we stayed clear of salads and anything raw or washed but at least we were not ill. The quality of the food was really average. The main dining room was very noisy and again with some organisation we were able to get a table in the nicer outside area.
The hotel people were very friendly mayby overly so. My 14 year old daughter was constantly stopped for conversation and would most of the time not like to go to the buffet on her own, something which she has been doing for years!
A large majority of the holidaygoers behaved quite inappropriately and without them we would have felt more relaxed.
At the end of the week you somehow get used to it all but it seemed a lot of hard work and that is not what holiday is about.
I can absolutely recommend the one day trip to Luxor and we really had a super guide who gave us great advice to stay out of trouble, especially since my daugther and I were on our own for this trip.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Food
2 Thank WebsurferBrussels
North Wales
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my two teenage daughters from the 24th October till 31st October. Vannessa and Mohamed were our Thomas Cook reps and they really went out of there way to make sure we had a good holiday. They seemed to always be on duty. When we arrived at the hotel there were 70 families checking in. We were taken to the conference room whilst check-in was dealt with, this was done very quickly and we were served a drink while we waited. We were then taken to our room. I had booked a family room. We were taken to room 32302. We were very pleasently surprised with our room. You entered into a small hallway with the bathroom in front of you with 1 room to the right that had a king sized bed, t.v and mini bar in and another room to the left of the hall way had twin beds in along with t.v and mini bar. The main restaurant was probably the worst part of the hotel. The food was always hot and there was a wide choice however it was always so busy and im sorry to say the majority of customers were Russian and there elbows are very hard to miss! However we never had any tummy problems. During the day we usually had pizza around the pool which was cooked to order. We ate in two of the alacarte restaurants and found the food and the service excellent. We found the bar service very quick. We never had trouble finding beds by th pool. The pools were cold but the sea wonderful.
We booked to go horse riding with Sam The Camel Man. We had a fantastic time and our guide had my youngest daughter cantering by the end of the hour and she hadnt ridden before, they also took photos of us all whilst riding and worked very hard to make sure we enjoyed ourselves rather than the usual plod around. We also went for a massage on site. We negotiated very hard and got a good price and truly had a relaxing time. The spa was clean and the staff polite.
We did do the Shop and Rock Tour organised by Thomas Cook. My only advice is DONT book it. We were told by Vannessa and Mohamed at the meeting that we would go to the old and new part of town to shop followed by dinner at The Hard Rock. I do not believe for one moment we were misold the trip as they had a map out showing us the different areas we would be visiting and I believe they recommended it to us with good intentions. The problem was Julia the Thomas Cook rep that was our guide for this trip. I have travelled to many different places in the world including Egypt before and have never experienced anything like Julia. From the moment we arrived she was loud and rude. I think shed beeen having lessons from the Russians. She thought it was appropriate to scream at the local people and generally have bad manners. She only took us to the old part of town, took phone calls from the local shop keepers bragging if she got them a sale. We never saw the new part of town instead we were given the option to visit a gold centre (no doubt she again new the owner). We went straight to The Hard Rock were we didnt realise Julia was the entertainment. Her floor show contained the words "Dont slag me off" and "I dont give a S**t as im only her for 4 weeks". Rest assured I captured this on DVD and its on the way to Thomas Cooks Managing Director, along with her line of "Oh look shes got the camera out, go for it love".
I wouldnt class the hotel as 5* however we had a lovely time, the grounds were clean and tidy, staff polite we never had any problems with unwanted attention of comments as mentioned on previous reports. We were well feed and watered and suffered no tummy problems and we never saw a cloud in the sky.

• Liked — Cleanliness and pool area
  • Disliked — Julia
5 Thank stephnia
Iberotel Makadi Beach
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 29 in Makadi Bay
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!