“Worst hotel we have stayed in”

Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel we have stayed in”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that the reception staff were friendly and were really efficient when I complained. This was our eleventh visit to Egypt, my husband and I have had holidays in Hurghada, Sharm and Taba and have always booked 5* hotels, this hotel doesn't come close to any other we have stayed in. We are not fussy eaters, love Egypt and the Egyptians and have never complained before, in the U.K. we often dine out at Wetherspoons but I was unable to eat anything for five of our seven days stay due to food poisoning. My husband lived on soup and bread for most of our All Inclusive holiday because everything served, other than salad, was inedible. All meats were either overcooked or if barbecued undercooked or served up in a sauce/gravy and we did not receognize what we were eating. I was horrified to see defrosted uncooked chips served up on the salad bar.

The bar staff were surly and all drinks were served in tiny plastic disposable cups including beer, tables in the restaurant were not cleared which meant searching every night for somewhere to sit and during the evening meal you were lucky if a waiter came to your table to offer a drink, however if they did at least it was in a glass. The waiters spent more time being admonished by their superiors which left them with less time to look after the guests. There was only one tea/coffee station at breakfast time and of course only the English waited in turn, bearing in mind we only met one other English couple which wasn't a problem as we never go away to meet fellow countrymen.

The pools had signs up saying no diving, only clothing to be worn were t.shirts in the childrens pool, but every day there were guests diving and others fully clothed even wearing jeans, why bother with signs that are not adhered to. One day there were an extended family with at least twenty children armed with water blasters firing them at guests and no pool attendants to stop them, not my idea of a relaxing holiday. We did escape to the beach for the last day for some peace and quiet, only trouble was the sea was a long walk away and when we reached it I could not go in due to the sea being rough and the fear of being torn to shreds by the coral.

I never complained about the food poisoning, I was lead to believe from a member of the Animation Team it was caused by tap water being used for the ice, I did have to complain about the noise coming from adjoining rooms and neighbouring blocks. I was informed by reception it was due caused by an extended family who had booked rooms next to us above us and in another block, a total of eight rooms. The famlly members moved from room to room and block to block making so much noise into the early hours, I felt so unwell I telephoned reception a couple of times and then got dressed and went to the reception desk to complain at 1.30am.

Take my advice and stay away from this hotel, if you want a great holiday in Hurghada go to Dana Beach, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeangenie46
MinaHarmonyMakadi, Front Office Manager at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feed back and helpful review, we have passed your valuable comments to our reception team, we are improving our services and facilities to meet your expectation, we have currently 4 different restaurants (Main Restaurant, Beach Restaurant, Italian, and Oriental Restaurant) with varied menus in addition to our snack time and aperitif time, Mini bar are refilled daily at the rooms within our target to offer you a rich all inclusive program.
Best Regards
Mina Gergis
Front Office Manager
Mgergis@harmonymakadibay.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We're a family of four, I can say we had the best experience ever. The staffs, receprtionist, housekeepers and even the excursion were fantastic, they are very helpful, polite and speak very good english, some of them speak upto 4 languages (eng',polish, russian,german & french). I highly recommend them.

They have a spa there and so I had the cleopatra treartment for £40 2hrs which is a full body scrub using pure coconut n a foot salt scrub, along with a cleopatra mask, shower followed by a full body massage, the treatmant is a bliss n must have, skin feels smooth n soft n you personally feel rejuvenated. Throughout the week I had various massages with Zozo she was just fantastic, she is knowleged n an experienced therapist.
My two boys enjoyed their two week stay and even cried on the plane to england, meals, drinks n snacks were served throughout the day. My husband enjoyed the beach, pool, and massaging treatments from planet spa group in the hotel, his first massage he feel deeply asleep lol, later he stayed awake to enjoy the experience. It was a real holiday treat for us and we will visit again.

• Stayed August 2011
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

It is a real shame about this hotel. On first impressions we thought everything was great, nice room, lots of pools and it looked like there was a proper beach. But after a few days we realised that they did not clean properly around the pool areas or walk ways, on going to find a sunbed the next day we realised spilt ice cream, coke, drinks, cigarette butts, were still there from previous days. Even on the actual sunbeds!. During our 10 day stay I witnessed 2 children being sick around the slide pool - to think this was not cleaned properly is very scary. All the children are based around this running in and out of the water as well as the parents. Do the hotel not understand that bacteria grows at a rapid rate in this sort of heat.

The restaurant is a joke - you have to queue for at times 1/4 hour to get some food. To be fair the Italian restaurant is much better but not always open for lunch and breakfast.

We have been to Egypt before and had the best holiday ever but will only go back to this particular hotel in Sharm.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda-Robi

Travellers are raving about these Makadi Bay hotels

essex
Reviewed 5 August 2011

we have just returned from 2 week stay in eygpt 1st week cruise on river nile fantastic we were on champillion boat it was excellent staff were great very clean and food was great and our tour guide yousef was brilliant looked after us all very well. The 2nd week we stayed at the harmony hotel makadi bay hurgarda lovley hotel very big it was a resort you didn't have to leave the hotel at all everything was there only one thing we found the staff on the reception desk was'nt very informative about different things we had to find out for ourselves but again all the staff were excelent vey clean rooms everyday food was great and the service we loved it we intend to return next year to eygpt. Sally southend on sea.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank florenceessex
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We reached the hotel after a very long trip and from another hotel that we didn't want to stay in, they welcomed us in a very nice way and everything was perfect ... Beach is not quit good but they have 3 nice pools , nice animation team , nice food ... We loved our stay there :)

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Naderrasmy
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I spent there 6 days and 5 nights.
Although, I was on an all inclusive meal basis but I was always hungry due to short quantity and food variety. I had to order and pay daily $5 to get 1 decent burger sandwich.
You need also to pay for Ice cream.
Also, you need to pay for Shisha.
I wonder what does it mean with all inclusive in this hotel !!!

The team is not friendly and u need to beg their smiles or help.
U can see also they prioritize the service to their guests based on their race, color, sex and nationality.

I wonder how do Thomas Cook consider it as 5 stars hotel and recommend it to their customers ???

Exception for Mohamed, the pool bar man and Shisha guy. He was very friendly and helpful.
The animation team was also very cheerful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I spent 4 days in July 2011 with my family in 2 rooms based on all inclusive package.
The hotel rooms are very poor for decoration, bathroom & furniture it's only 3 stars level.
But the FB effort was excellent.
House keeping& engineering levels are poor.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family