“Food”

Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 18 October 2011

If you stay at this hotel please make sure you eat at the italian one which you will need to book a reservation daily at guest relations.
We had to change our rooms on arrival as the bed sheets were heavily stained with blood.
The staff were mainly polite and friendly. The guest relation staff did their best under the circumstances.
For the first few days we ate at the belle vista, which was on the beach, and the food was average but ok. In the evening we ate at the main 'canteen' and the food was cold and not very nice. My girlfriend took a bite out of some chicken to find blood and it not be fully cooked.
From our experience here, we would not go back and for sure not really recommend this hotel to any friends or family as All four of us were on the toilet for a big chunk of the holiday.
I had food poisioning and so did my girlfriend.
We paid good money for this so calle '5 star' hotel. No way was this a 5 start. probably 2 or 3 to be honest.
If this hotel was branded as a 3 start and the food were better when we contracted an illness then this would have been a great holiday.
We do bring back some really good memeories but we were left wanting more.
Having said this, the hotel staff did do their best to improve our saty in the 2nd week and we did start to see a vast improvement in the food being hot and cooked fresh.
By the look of it they were making some renovations and improvments so if you do stay you might have a really good time.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade with sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lawrence B

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Booked this last minute and was a little unsure of the place after reading some poor revews on here. This hotel is classed as 5* It is not. 3* at best.
The good points:
Rooms - Very clean and spacious, with a very large balcony. Good size bathroom, comfortable beds. digital safe in wardroabe. Not many hangers for clothes though. Great air con. Rooms cleaned every day. Cleaner used towels to make animals etc.. very nice.

Pool Area - All 4 pools were kept very clean.

Entertainment - Quite good with lots going on during the day and evening. The animation team work very hard to give you a good time.

Bad Points:
Food - The food in the main dining area was, in my opinion poor. Some of it tasted ok, but was presented in a bad way with some dishes looking like slop. At breakfast, eggs like omlets, fried eggs were not cooked fully, and where they were cooking them was caked in dirt. Only ate 1 evening meal in the main eating area, that was on the first night, it was awful. We ate at the al a carte every evening (Marco Polo) allthough this was again a buffet service which is unusual for an a la carte. However, the food here was much better. You can eat here as many times as you like at no extra cost. Some of the waiters clothes had food stains on them (quite visable) and they seem to want to take away your plates, fork and knives at every opertunity, even when you have not finished! The food in the main resteraunt is not good and this needs to be addressed and quickly.
Lunch was taken in the Bells Vista resteraunt by the beach. Food here was ok- ish.
AI Drinks are served in plastic cups, everything from beer, spirits, juice. You could only get a proper glass in the lobby bar. Whilst I understand that plastic cups are ok during the day by the pool, and beach, I think it would be nice to have proper glasses during the evening.

I would not go back to this hotel.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I have just returned after staying at the Harmony Hotel. Both age 50. Went on the 16th September for ten days. As usual I always think I am not going to read any reviews as they always put doubt in my mind, sure enough I did read them and yes I was worried. How wrong I was.
The pools are lovely and cleaned every day.
The rooms were of a good size and and was maintained and cleaned well.
The bars were quite quick at serving and a couple of great members of staff. Mohammed Nasr was fantastic. Plenty of choices of drinks always prepared to make up cocktails for me.
The food was as you expect on an all inclusive holiday, but theres always something to eat.
We had the most relaxing holiday no one really bothers you about taking part in games etc.
Everyone was so friendly. The only one problem I had was the sun was too hot and had to sit in the shade most of the time, Will definately go back but maybe in March.
Please don't be put off by some of these comments made by other people, any normal person would have great delight staying there.

Room Tip: The rooms are in blocks of three floors I would prefer a lower floor than we had which was the third...
1  Thank mobe2470
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We arrived on Friday evening 16 th Sept,and was greeted by the reception staff, who advised us to go and have some food and drink, and come back to get get keys for room, and then took us to our room on a golf buggy, we stayed in room 2424, sea view, which was a bonus as we didnt ask for one.
The room was large, a bit dated, but it was clean and tidy,and a large veranda, and the fridge full of bottled water.
We had a quick shower and then went to the main bar,but hung around as there were now tables available, due to the number of guests, mostly Russians, drinking Vodka as if there was no tomorrow, and getting louder every minute.
We spent a comfortable nights sleep in the room Air Con working well, then decided to go for breakfast, or as we said SRUM DOWN,im affraid what other reviers have said about the Russians, is Fact, they have no manners what so ever, and even more to my disgust how they treat the staff.
We spent most of the days on the beach, where you can get your towels, and a small bar, and it allways pays to be polite and friendly to the staff as we found out later to our benefit.
The sea is about 500 mtr from the beach, but you wade out ankle deep, and very warm, warmer than the coffee in the mornings, Due to being windy on the beach, it can be a bit of a struggle to get out to go snorkelling, its not a patch on Sharm, but there are fish, and thousands of purple jellyfish, but they are not stingers, also watching Ospreys fishing in the sea.Once the beach bar staff knew your tipple, before you took a step towards them they had your drinks ready for you, do the dissgust of the Russians,who are queing up for drinks, and giving us glasses rather than silly little plastic cups.
Lunch time arrives and they open up the Bella Vista Restaurant, and again its a bun fight as the place is too small for the number of guests, back to the beach for more sun, and leave about 5.30, and then retire back to room for a shower, and ready for dinner, the food is not what you would expect for a 5 star hotel.
The entertainment was ok, during the week, pub singers on the stage, and reps doing there bit in the large Amphitheater.About 10.30 we went upstairs to the reception bar and sat having nice cups of coffee, and chatting to the staff, didnt make the disco, which goes on to 2.30 am, upstairs above the reception.
There are a few shops out side the hotel, but we decided to go into Hurghada with the hotels taxi, costs £5 return each,and after 30 km, we arrived, and dropped off next to a shop, on which you are marched in to, but we got friendly with one one of the staff, who`s family had a few shops, and we didnt get ripped off, i speak a bit of Arabic, which helps,from working in Egypt, a tip if you have a wrist band on, turn it inside out so they dont know what hotel you are staing at, an experience even by me.
The week went on, and sad to say that i was looking forward to Friday, time to go home.
When you check out at 12 noon, they cut off your wrist band, and reading the sheets they give you, it says that you had no more food or drinks until you leave the hotel,
Having been freindly to the staff all week we had no problems in obtaing drinks, if you know what i mean, you can also have a room for a shower, so there is no need to pay extra to keep your room on.
Overall we went away for the sunshine, but im sad to say that i would not be going back to this hotel

Reviewed 24 September 2011

After reading the review below, I have to agree with most of the points they have made, but sadly disagree about the Russians and Polish, yes some are good but the majority are animals with no manners what so ever, pushing barging and no regard for other holiday makers. Moving away from this sad subject, as a whole the hotel is nice, but if in the UK would only achieve a 3* rating, food good, pools good but with dangerous water drainage around as all collapses when stood on so be aware with children. Rooms great cleaned spotlessly. Evening entertainment is a joke, most British people I spoke to were in there rooms by 10.30pm watching the one English channel available. I agree with the comments below about the ampitheatre, uncomfatable, no bar or toilets nearby. They have an open air gym with good equipment, but who wants to work out in 36 degrees, no fans or air conditioning. Would I recommend this hotel to others? Yes if you want a very quiet relaxed holiday, would I go back? No. This is my third time in Hurghada staying at 3 different hotels and this has to be the most boring, if anyone is reading this before booking please consider the Jasmine Village or Alladin, these are lower star ratings but trust me, better hotels.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed here on the 5th september untill the 16th...i am 22 and my partner is 33.
so where do we start about this hotel...we arrived at around 8pm and the sun had gone down allready (goes down at 6pm) we were driven to our hotel down a very long driveway to the hotel...the front looked lovely with fountains out front and a few shops lining the sides with all things typically egyptian and a small supermarket.

We left the coach and were told not worry about our luggage as it would be delivered shortly, in the meantime we went to reception to check in the staff were very friendly and helpfull...absolutely full of smiles!
from here we went back outside and were driven on a golf buggy with our luggage to our room...we had a ground floor room (wooo hooo no stairs for me!)
the rooms decor was not to my taste..bit outdated but is absolutely spotless...the bathroom was gorgeous and i loved the wetroom we had.
we had 3 beds in the room 2 pushed together..this was fine for us however would have prefered a double.

Later we went for our dinner in the main restarant...we thought this was fab..plenty of meat dishes and i thought there was plenty of variety...some people said it was very bland food...not sure how they came to this conclusion as the spices and herbs in the cooking was gorgeous and so flavoursome..i particularily enjoyed the warm flatbreads with my meal.

The entertainment is okay...however i think it starts too late...we had our dinner about 7.30pm then finnished at about 8....then outside there wasnt really an atmosphere untill the entertainment started in the stage area...which we found uncomfortable and inconvenient as its not near a bar or toilets.

i liked the shisha area styled in a bedoin way..however the benches were really uncomfortable..

im going to comment on some previous reviewee's comments as i feel they are not factual...

"tables in the restaurant were not cleared which meant searching every night for somewhere to sit and during the evening meal you were lucky if a waiter came to your table to offer a drink"
- tables in the restaurant are cleared while you are still eating so i do not see how this comment is fair.....if you needed a table clearing all we had to do is ask and it takes them 2 seconds...about the drinks service..we were rarely offed a dring of an evening either.

"This hotel is full of eastern european (poland, russia etc) cattle pigs who are just rude, aggorant and just dont have any manners, loud and dont care about anyone else."
- this comment seems to show the person has no tolerance or other cultures...yes the place was a little crowded at times and some people do try to push...however if you hold your ground or tell the person pushing no and point to the cue they will retreat...embarrased...we met some great polish couples and families, maybe we are more accepting of others than some.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that the reception staff were friendly and were really efficient when I complained. This was our eleventh visit to Egypt, my husband and I have had holidays in Hurghada, Sharm and Taba and have always booked 5* hotels, this hotel doesn't come close to any other we have stayed in. We are not fussy eaters, love Egypt and the Egyptians and have never complained before, in the U.K. we often dine out at Wetherspoons but I was unable to eat anything for five of our seven days stay due to food poisoning. My husband lived on soup and bread for most of our All Inclusive holiday because everything served, other than salad, was inedible. All meats were either overcooked or if barbecued undercooked or served up in a sauce/gravy and we did not receognize what we were eating. I was horrified to see defrosted uncooked chips served up on the salad bar.

The bar staff were surly and all drinks were served in tiny plastic disposable cups including beer, tables in the restaurant were not cleared which meant searching every night for somewhere to sit and during the evening meal you were lucky if a waiter came to your table to offer a drink, however if they did at least it was in a glass. The waiters spent more time being admonished by their superiors which left them with less time to look after the guests. There was only one tea/coffee station at breakfast time and of course only the English waited in turn, bearing in mind we only met one other English couple which wasn't a problem as we never go away to meet fellow countrymen.

The pools had signs up saying no diving, only clothing to be worn were t.shirts in the childrens pool, but every day there were guests diving and others fully clothed even wearing jeans, why bother with signs that are not adhered to. One day there were an extended family with at least twenty children armed with water blasters firing them at guests and no pool attendants to stop them, not my idea of a relaxing holiday. We did escape to the beach for the last day for some peace and quiet, only trouble was the sea was a long walk away and when we reached it I could not go in due to the sea being rough and the fear of being torn to shreds by the coral.

I never complained about the food poisoning, I was lead to believe from a member of the Animation Team it was caused by tap water being used for the ice, I did have to complain about the noise coming from adjoining rooms and neighbouring blocks. I was informed by reception it was due caused by an extended family who had booked rooms next to us above us and in another block, a total of eight rooms. The famlly members moved from room to room and block to block making so much noise into the early hours, I felt so unwell I telephoned reception a couple of times and then got dressed and went to the reception desk to complain at 1.30am.

Take my advice and stay away from this hotel, if you want a great holiday in Hurghada go to Dana Beach, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeangenie46
MinaHarmonyMakadi, Front Office Manager at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feed back and helpful review, we have passed your valuable comments to our reception team, we are improving our services and facilities to meet your expectation, we have currently 4 different restaurants (Main Restaurant, Beach Restaurant, Italian, and Oriental Restaurant) with varied menus in addition to our snack time and aperitif time, Mini bar are refilled daily at the rooms within our target to offer you a rich all inclusive program.
Best Regards