“Just Don't Do It”

Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I read the other reviews before staying at this hotel and as they seemed to be split 50/50 between good and bad...I went with an open mind. But having now been there for 2 weeks I come down 100% on the side of the bad. If you go there expecting a 5 star hotel you will be so disappointed it's at best a 3 star but averages 2½
There are some good points so I will mention those as it will not take long...The Animation team work really hard to entertain everyone and do a good job. The rooms are large and well air conditioned and the swimming pools are ok.
Sadly that’s where the good part ends...the problems that this hotel has are 90% due to poor management...as someone who stays in hotels regularly on business I can tell you these people could not run a bath let alone a hotel....so what are the problems?
Plastic Cups: You will read in other reviews the comments regarding drinks being served in tiny plastic cups...it's ridiculous they serve the drinks in tiny plastic cups (beer included) that you finish in 10 seconds and then have to queue again for another drink...the result is constant queues for drinks and empty plastic cups all over the place.
Food: Bland, Boring and the same day after day after day...Clearly the Head Chef only knows a limited number of recipes so nothing changes, additionally in the main restaurant all the stations are together, drinks, salad, hot food and deserts. The result is more queues and people waiting for one thing hold up other people who want something else...Separate the stations as they do in good hotels the problem will go away..plus get a new chef.
General: The staff and managers do not care..you are just a number to them. The hotel is located a long way from Hurghada and the hotel taxi is very expensive..There is a shuttle bus but it only operates one trip a day and that is in the evening. You will be constantly hassled by guys at the hotel trying to sell you Boat Trips, Quad Bike Trips, Massages etc etc...at first you are polite but as time goes on and they do not stop you also stop being polite...It’s a pain
After a few days at this hotel I asked the agent if we could transfer to another hotel as it was so bad and I would be happy to pay extra to do so..Yes I was willing to pay to NOT stay at this hotel, sadly it was not possible.
I could go on some more but will stop there...all I will say is if you want a real 5 star hotel don’t go to this one..try the Marriott or the Stella Hotel nearby.. These Real Hotels with Real Service..maybe the management of the Harmony should go there for a night or two and learn how to run a hotel

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark H

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I must start with stating the fact that, despite the inconveniences, we really enjoyed our holidays and came back relaxed and rested!
We (me, my husband and my parents) spent a week in Harmony Makadi Bay hotel in July 2012. We were told it was a 5 stars hotel - unfortunately, it was not true.
First, the arrival. We arrived to the resort about 2am. We were given the keys immediately and were asked to wait in the lobby. We tried to get water in the lobby bar, but were told to pay 4$ for a bottle - we were not informed that we can get a glass of water for free (we had All Inclusive option). We waited for the best part of an hour, then we were brought to the dining room for a late supper (more like early breakfast by that time). We found some miserable remains and refused to eat it, demanded to be finally brought to our rooms. There are about 40 villas on the hotel grounds. We were brought half way by a member of the staff, then shown the general direction of our villa and left alone in the dark. For about half an hour we walked around, desperately trying to find our villa with another couple from our plane! Disgraceful! Finally my husband found the guy who delivered our suitcases and we found our rooms. The guy was actually about to leave our luggage in front of the door (outside) and drive away!
Unsurprisingly, we were a bit discouraged by that.
In general, there seems to be to few members of the staff and they don't seem to care enough. There is plenty of food (though breakfast choice could be better) and it's fresh and tasty, but there are always queues, usually there were no tea cups or you had to wait for hot water, sometimes there were no plates... The dirty plates were lying on the tables for ages - sometimes we found ours still there an hour after finishing our meal! The service is definitely not up to scratch for a 5 stars hotel. You're lucky if you manage to order wine or beer to your dinner.
There are some good sides to the hotel. The rooms are big and clean, cleaned every day. We didn't, however, get any towel-animals, despite the tips. Every day they provide fresh towel and a bottle of mineral water. There's a TV with many channels in English and in Polish, a kettle, tea and coffee available. The bed was huge, very comfy.
The pools are nice, very clean and big enough.
The beach is nice, very peaceful! There's enough of sunbeds, though they never wash them. The reef is not very accessible. You have to walk for a while to see it - bring special shoes! Much of the reef is dead. The sea goes away during the day, so you can't swim much - only in one deeper place left from the main beach.
The beach restaurant, serving mini pizza, is all right, though service is extremely slow.
The animations are nearly non-existent. There's water aerobics - three songs twice a day, always the same choice of songs! They organise water polo or beach volley ball, trying to advertise it in such a way, that no one knows about it! The evening show is so not funny, that we were pissing ourselves with laughter. It looks like in this hotel in "Dirty Dancing".
In the pool bar you can wait for hours to be served, and still they get your order wrong. On our last day I noticed them washing the glasses - oh my... I was happy I usually used plastic cups after all...
Overall, they seem to get the essentials right - the tasty food, nice pools, clean room - but there's nothing that would make this hotel extraordinary. The service sucks. About half of the guests are Muslim, and while I'm not racist, I don't think the women should be allowed to bath in the pools in the same clothes they've been wearing whole day...
Upset stomach happens to nearly everyone, so the word of warning - buy the medicine upfront, just in case, and don't pay for it more then 25 Egyptian pounds! If you go to the hotel pharmacy sick, the guy will try to charge you 20$. Best buy it in Hurghada. You can get there by taxi, ordered in the lobby. It's 30$, very reliable - it takes you there and back whenever you want. The town is interesting, well worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Konwalijka
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Actually I am at harmony makady now its really boring .. Everything here is very bad starting from the food which is expired and burned in most cases, also the room survice has a very slow or no response for most requests , waiters are not communicating politely as if we are surving them not they are surving us .. I found all that normal when I raised my complain to mr. Ihab the hotel manager and found him talking with the same way insulting us for just complaining and refusing to solve problems or even to apologize for these bad issues !!! Really he is not responsible .. And the hotel is more than bad .. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone ..

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank haithamelzeiny
Reviewed 6 July 2012

first of all this hotel isn't a 5* hotel, its maximum 3* hotel. there is no beach and u have to move to the next hotel (azur) to swim, the pools aren't clean and the cups are all dirty.
the food was awful, same types everyday with no taste. very poor animation team. the AC isnt working well. the housekeeping doesnt come unless u ask for. all in all everything was awful and the hotel is very very very bad.all room views are very bad. alot of warms and flies in gardens. its in an isolated area where no shops oreverything except those around the hotel where they force you to pay alot to gain what you need. NOT RECOMMENDED DONT EVER GO THERE

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank monica l
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days with my husband and 5 year old daughter. I am 8 months pregnant and as such I didn't do much there like use the pool or beach or participate in any activities. Instead I got a DELICIOUSLY relaxing sleep in the super comfy beds with the AC and fan blasting. At night I liked to sit on the balcony watching the stars or the view of the Red Sea and the hotels across the water, the boats and people (who aren't pregnant) having fun. My husband and daughter had LOTS of fun. They swam in each of the four pools, collected shells at the beach, watched the animation show (I watched the kids one, but passed on the adult show, I am not a big fan of "shows" but everyone else seemed to love it). I enjoyed waking up to go to breakfast with my notebook or book and eating and reading, and I liked sitting out with the rest of our group (we travelled with like 50 other people including kids). The food was NOT great. It was at best okay. I think there needs to be some Continental offerings to the breakfast and more lunchy type options for the lunch spread. Dinner was always pretty good, but breakfast besides when I could convince the cook that made the eggs to make me a fried egg or two was not great either. The drinks suck, as in the soft drinks, because in Egypt most people drink (by the gallons) Pepsi, so don't expect much there. The desserts for me were not sweet enough but maybe it's my voracious pregnant sweet tooth that is talking since my husband and daughter enjoyed them. The barbeque was great (lamb fingers/kofta?, grilled chicken placed in pitas SO GOOD!) and there was delicious fruit served fresh at night (watermelon or honey dew melon).

I really enjoyed my stay and want to go back. The food offerings get a 3 but a 3 is enough for me. I definitely want to wait until our baby is born so i can swim and won't be so tired to enjoy the night life. The beach is beautiful and the grounds are beautiful, clean and well maintained. This place is super family friendly, so if you have kids, TAKE THEM!!!! They will love you! I miss the place already!

Staff was nice and helpful, and the rooms were super clean! I'm an American living in Cairo so some hotels in Egypt can be so-so on that factor but this place was very clean and well maintained, not even DUSTY and this is the desert! My house gets way dustier than this place ever did!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk, choose a room close to the restaurant, it's a bit of a hike if yo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The rooms,food,service,room servise was very bad Bad view bad beach dirty pools and all of the hotle was silly

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Shenouda R
Reviewed 13 May 2012

first of the all the hotel is not 5 stars, and its only 3 stars as mentioned at the governmental website, not ideal for families with kids, food has no taste, only one restaurant for dinner and no activities for kids or adults, animation is boring, singer is also boring, overall the hotel is boring and the staff are always complaining from their management, hotel owner is always busy with his russian girlfriend and if you are in the same place with them in a restaurant for example all the staff will focus on him and will not serve you,,the hotel has no beach or even a way to reach the sea, you have to go to next hotel azure beach, pools are not clean, doctor service is very expensive as well limousine service, shuttle bus will drop you in the city but actually the driver will drop you inside a gallery belong to the hotel owner

Room Tip: rooms at the right side are much nicer and you can just tip $5 at the reception so they will offer n...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
#22 of 30 in Makadi Bay
LABRANDA  Garden Makadi
LABRANDA Garden Makadi
#23 of 30 in Makadi Bay

Been to Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!