“Good stay”

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good stay”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

very pleasant stay and provide you with lovely memories to take home and remember : ))
I would definately recommend the Hotel and staff and this hotel was very clean and the food was definately recommended

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Stone H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed here from 23rd Sep for one week. The room was large and spacious with all we needed. The bedding as changed each day as were the towels. It was almost on the beach with a large balcony. The resort was very nice with great pools and a lovely sandy beach. The food what can one say, good food ruined,tasteless bland and boring, it was mostly cold when it should have been hot,and really bad. The staff were great and helpful. and would do anything to help.
We were the only English there out of 1000 plus guests, mostly Russian and they can be rude pushing in before you everywhere, All in all i would not advise the British to go there as it is manly for the Russian guests, Not a very good holiday, although we were never ill at all, but we would never return there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank wildsharp

Travellers are raving about these Makadi Bay hotels

Lancs
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My partner and I visited Harmony for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2011-12. We enjoyed it so much we decided to go back for our summer holiday. What a mistake that was. It only took us less than 1 day to realise that the hotel was under new management. The food was the same menu for lunch and dinner every day, with no variation and all inedible. The waiters no longer ask if you would like a drink with your meal. We only got asked once (on our first day) and the drinks had not arrived by the time we had eaten. For the last 8 days or so (after we had both been very ill) we ended up buying crisps and taking rolls up to our room and having crisp sandwiches (funny but we were not ill again). On our arrival we asked for extra pillows, this took 3 trips to the reception desk and arrived 24 hours later.
The gardens are no longer well looked after, and are overgrown and full of weeds and litter.
The floors in the restaurant and lobby were filthy, but after a few days the buffers came out, we were told that the owner was making a visit. We did not see the buffers for the rest of the holiday.
Saying this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel I do expect to be able to drink out of glass glasses at night in the lobby bar and not flimsy plastic ones.
This was such a disappointing holiday but goes to show that if you've been to a hotel and enjoyed it, it may not be the same when you go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank anom a
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My partner and I had visited Harmony 4 years ago and loved it so much that we returned on our Honeymoon.

The hotel is great, rooms really clean with good views of the sea and pools. The staff were mostly really friendly and helpful. Its not advertised anywhere in the hotel but it has its own coral reef which is brilliant there are well over 1,000 every 20 or 30m. It is truely breathtaking.

We took a boat trip to an island called Makmaya which was amazing. You can only book this trip through your rep and it costs about £45 each. But worth every penny. The Island itself is like a fijian Island with a white sand beach and cristal clear water.

The thing that lets this hotel down is the food. We stayed for 11 nights and 8 of them we were ill (couldn't venture too far away from a toilet type of ill) The only times we wern't ill was the days we didn't eat at the hotel. The food tasted ok, it is caitored for the Russian and Polish guests which is understandable as we were 2 of only 18 British people staying there out of 1,200. Speaking to a lot of the guests at the hotel (English, Polish and Rusian) nearly every group of holiday makers have at least one person ill from the food. One Polish guy I spoke to paid $80 to see the doctor who told him not to eat any of the meat and he should start feeling better.
I did finaly complain to the manager who told me that "no one has ever complained about the food" this was a compleat lie as we had only spoken to a couple the day before that made the hotel order them a Pizza from Dominos for there last day as they were not willing to touch the food and risk being ill for the flight home. The manager then went on to say that it was the heat and nothing to do with the food. After explaining that we didn't eat at the hotel for two days and were fine he just dismised it and got a fruit basket delivered to our room (great).

As I said the hotel and staff are great if they would just own up to the major problems they are having with the food the hotel would be fantastic, but this doesn't look like its going to happen. If this was a hotel in the UK it probably would have been shut down by now.

The best meals we had was when we brought some crisps from the shop outside and then just made crisp sandwiches in the restarant.

My advise would be to go to Makadi Bay because it is amazine but stay clear of Harmony. We spoke to people on the way back to the airport that had stayed in the next couple of hotels who said the food was amazing. We will be trying one of these next time as they all have a coral reef on the doorstep as well.

It was a shame we went back to Harmony and we will not be recomending it to any of our friends. It did kind of spoil our honeymoon because of the food making us ill 80% of the time.

I don't like to moan about these sort of things but I wouldn't want people to have the same experiance as us if your going away. Please pay the extra couple of quid and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Russell H
Pirkkala
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Me and my husband stayed at Harmony Makadi in April '12 for two weeks. We had a great room with sea view and our cleaning guy was really nice and did his job very well and we did get all kinds of towel arrangements and fresh flowers on the table.
Year before we had stayed at Serenity Makadi Heights (right next door) and that was really a five star resort and I guess I was expecting little bit too much for this year. Everywhere you could see little things that hadn't been taken care of. Lack of money I guess. Food was not anything special and I ended up eating chiken almost every night. That was something they didn't spoil. Very many Russian customers and somebody said that the menu was developed for their taste. After two weeks we were really happy to return home food vise. Don't expect Italian food be Italian.
We liked the pool areas and had brought our own thermos mugs and they worked really well with the drinks and they kept the drinks cool. We travel alot and have learned to bring our own helpful things along with us. All and all we had a great vacation and for the price we payed we shouln't have expected five stars. I had some stomach problems at the end but nothing serious. We visited Luxor which was interesting but a very looong and tiring day. Took one snorkeling trip that wasn't as good as the year before. Well, that is nobodys fault really. Anything can be expected when you travel.

Room Tip: We wanted a second floor but got third. Wanted a sea view and got one.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mamapia
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I read the other reviews before staying at this hotel and as they seemed to be split 50/50 between good and bad...I went with an open mind. But having now been there for 2 weeks I come down 100% on the side of the bad. If you go there expecting a 5 star hotel you will be so disappointed it's at best a 3 star but averages 2½
There are some good points so I will mention those as it will not take long...The Animation team work really hard to entertain everyone and do a good job. The rooms are large and well air conditioned and the swimming pools are ok.
Sadly that’s where the good part ends...the problems that this hotel has are 90% due to poor management...as someone who stays in hotels regularly on business I can tell you these people could not run a bath let alone a hotel....so what are the problems?
Plastic Cups: You will read in other reviews the comments regarding drinks being served in tiny plastic cups...it's ridiculous they serve the drinks in tiny plastic cups (beer included) that you finish in 10 seconds and then have to queue again for another drink...the result is constant queues for drinks and empty plastic cups all over the place.
Food: Bland, Boring and the same day after day after day...Clearly the Head Chef only knows a limited number of recipes so nothing changes, additionally in the main restaurant all the stations are together, drinks, salad, hot food and deserts. The result is more queues and people waiting for one thing hold up other people who want something else...Separate the stations as they do in good hotels the problem will go away..plus get a new chef.
General: The staff and managers do not care..you are just a number to them. The hotel is located a long way from Hurghada and the hotel taxi is very expensive..There is a shuttle bus but it only operates one trip a day and that is in the evening. You will be constantly hassled by guys at the hotel trying to sell you Boat Trips, Quad Bike Trips, Massages etc etc...at first you are polite but as time goes on and they do not stop you also stop being polite...It’s a pain
After a few days at this hotel I asked the agent if we could transfer to another hotel as it was so bad and I would be happy to pay extra to do so..Yes I was willing to pay to NOT stay at this hotel, sadly it was not possible.
I could go on some more but will stop there...all I will say is if you want a real 5 star hotel don’t go to this one..try the Marriott or the Stella Hotel nearby.. These Real Hotels with Real Service..maybe the management of the Harmony should go there for a night or two and learn how to run a hotel

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark H
Poland
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I must start with stating the fact that, despite the inconveniences, we really enjoyed our holidays and came back relaxed and rested!
We (me, my husband and my parents) spent a week in Harmony Makadi Bay hotel in July 2012. We were told it was a 5 stars hotel - unfortunately, it was not true.
First, the arrival. We arrived to the resort about 2am. We were given the keys immediately and were asked to wait in the lobby. We tried to get water in the lobby bar, but were told to pay 4$ for a bottle - we were not informed that we can get a glass of water for free (we had All Inclusive option). We waited for the best part of an hour, then we were brought to the dining room for a late supper (more like early breakfast by that time). We found some miserable remains and refused to eat it, demanded to be finally brought to our rooms. There are about 40 villas on the hotel grounds. We were brought half way by a member of the staff, then shown the general direction of our villa and left alone in the dark. For about half an hour we walked around, desperately trying to find our villa with another couple from our plane! Disgraceful! Finally my husband found the guy who delivered our suitcases and we found our rooms. The guy was actually about to leave our luggage in front of the door (outside) and drive away!
Unsurprisingly, we were a bit discouraged by that.
In general, there seems to be to few members of the staff and they don't seem to care enough. There is plenty of food (though breakfast choice could be better) and it's fresh and tasty, but there are always queues, usually there were no tea cups or you had to wait for hot water, sometimes there were no plates... The dirty plates were lying on the tables for ages - sometimes we found ours still there an hour after finishing our meal! The service is definitely not up to scratch for a 5 stars hotel. You're lucky if you manage to order wine or beer to your dinner.
There are some good sides to the hotel. The rooms are big and clean, cleaned every day. We didn't, however, get any towel-animals, despite the tips. Every day they provide fresh towel and a bottle of mineral water. There's a TV with many channels in English and in Polish, a kettle, tea and coffee available. The bed was huge, very comfy.
The pools are nice, very clean and big enough.
The beach is nice, very peaceful! There's enough of sunbeds, though they never wash them. The reef is not very accessible. You have to walk for a while to see it - bring special shoes! Much of the reef is dead. The sea goes away during the day, so you can't swim much - only in one deeper place left from the main beach.
The beach restaurant, serving mini pizza, is all right, though service is extremely slow.
The animations are nearly non-existent. There's water aerobics - three songs twice a day, always the same choice of songs! They organise water polo or beach volley ball, trying to advertise it in such a way, that no one knows about it! The evening show is so not funny, that we were pissing ourselves with laughter. It looks like in this hotel in "Dirty Dancing".
In the pool bar you can wait for hours to be served, and still they get your order wrong. On our last day I noticed them washing the glasses - oh my... I was happy I usually used plastic cups after all...
Overall, they seem to get the essentials right - the tasty food, nice pools, clean room - but there's nothing that would make this hotel extraordinary. The service sucks. About half of the guests are Muslim, and while I'm not racist, I don't think the women should be allowed to bath in the pools in the same clothes they've been wearing whole day...
Upset stomach happens to nearly everyone, so the word of warning - buy the medicine upfront, just in case, and don't pay for it more then 25 Egyptian pounds! If you go to the hotel pharmacy sick, the guy will try to charge you 20$. Best buy it in Hurghada. You can get there by taxi, ordered in the lobby. It's 30$, very reliable - it takes you there and back whenever you want. The town is interesting, well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family