“We will return.”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“We will return.”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Greate late booking deal with Red Sea. Airport at Hurghada one big scrum, 1st tip on entering arrivals disregard fast track visa agents and take sharp left go to banks for $15pp you still have to join next scrum at passport control.Palace has the wow factor , rooms are a bit dated but overall its a gem. 2nd tip, especially if only staying for a week, book the restaurants you want to eat in well ahead as you may miss out otherwise , tried the Italiain,thai , chinese, botanical , Dome and Melange all good Botanical head and shoulders though, Dome lovely but bit like the airport with Germans and Russians showing their lack of manners, more later, Discovery open at 5am to allow Germans to have breakfast before putting towels out , seriously,beds are plentifull but this time of year hotel is full and if you have not joined them and set your alarm for 6.30 you will be lucky to gat beds anywhere apart from the beach , 3rd tip get your wife to set alarm and push you out of bed at 6.40 it's great fun lol. Beach has plenty of beds and staff will sort them and drinks for you , 4th tip if you like the beach or miss the pool beds turn right at beach and walk 200yds in front of new hotel beach is better and there is a new beach bar and toilets that are spotless- reef is also very good for the snorklers- like swimming in an aquerium. Building work going on but only seen or heard from right hand side of the beach or back of Family Star hotel. All staff very friendly and helpfull , I took $ for tipping and these were very well received . We could only do a week at 40+ and not a cloud in sight , lol,so enjoy i hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Biffo3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
North Wales
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Hi all.

Just returned from the Palace and as usual we were not disappointed. I have read a few reviews about standards slipping and if I’m honest they are probably true. However this Hotel is far superior to your Tenerife or Spanish tower blocks and will be able take far more knocks before it gets to those standards. However if anyone from Red Sea Holidays is reading this then maybe you should look at the situation to get it back to tip top condition. I would suggest overhauling the rooms and keep the staff numbers as they are. For example, we noticed that staff cuts have been made since our last visit particularly the pool boys where they have been cut from 3 to 2 per area.
This was our 3rd visit to the Palace and will be planning on going back soon.

Bad points for me were...

Airport – Really don’t like Hurghada airport because you get treated like herding animals and are forced to pay the rip off visa price. God knows what this payment is for and I do get suspicious when you see all that cash being collected without any receipts. Also, watch yourself on the way home. I was frisked once by a dodgy looking airport male member of staff who grabbed my privates. He did this to other males as I heard them commenting about him aswell. Take care when you go to the toilet. I was hounded for money by the cleaner on the way in and because I ignored him (I just gave him a little smile and shake of the head) he followed me and stood very close to me whilst I was using the urinal. I felt very intimidated as he continued to follow me when I washed my hands and he still persisted his demands for money as he was handing over some tissue to dry my hands. This really made me feel uneasy.

Smoking – I’ve committed about this one before. We are none smokers and find it really off putting when you get smoking bellowing towards you when trying to eat delicious food. Real shame. I wish they would provide no smoking areas on the outside of the restaurants.

Sun Loungers – My poor wife had to get up at 06:30hrs to ensure a decent lounger by the pool. Sorry darling but I just couldn’t get up...far too early. Anyway I have read other people complaining about this and it really is up to the management to sort this out. There’s plenty of room so just purchase more.

That’s it really. We will hopefully be going back in November. Don’t let the airport put you off, just be careful. Don’t forget to tip the pool boys as they do a great job in that heat.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

All the best.

Darren & Kath

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank dtj6090
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Lovely hotel as I mentioned, the grounds are spectacularly laid out with shrubbery and when lit up at night the ambience is breathtaking. General look and feel of the hotel is that it is well looked after and spotlessly clean.
Bedroom was a little tired - some damp spots on the walls and there weren't enough bulbs in the bathroom rendering either the toilet or shower unlit (we did let reception know, but they just switched the bulbs around I think!) Bulbs were also in short supply in the pool toilets, at most 2 out of the 5 cubicles were lit which was a bit annoying. The toilets also flooded by the poolside at least 3 times that we saw during the week we stayed, which was rather gross when you can see excrement floating around! But I have to say, this was quickly cleaned up and the toilets returned to being almost spotlessly clean.
Sunbed situation is a joke, a polite letter was left in all rooms asking for sunbeds not to be reserved early to give everyone a fair chance of getting one, we adhered to this on the 1st day, but no one else did, so we had no where to go on day 1. Having said that, we also had our Rep meeting on Day 1 and when we told Mahmoud the Red Sea Hols rep, he quickly sorted this out and the main man in charge of the sunbeds got us a bed, and umbrella straight away! V good service. Thereafter we adopted the moto, if you can't beat them, join 'em and were up at 5 everyday to reserve our beds - not to everyones delight but this luckily co-incided with our Babies morning bottle which I had to get from Reception area, so killed two birds with one stone: towels out on route to getting milk for baby ;o)
Food: As this is a predominantly German filled hotel, all the food was geared up for the german market rendering it quite tasteless! The choice was amazing, but a little repetitive after a few days. Make sure you reserve your tables at the a la carte restaurants - you can choose from Chinese, Thai, Indian, Eqyptian etc These were really good and part of the all inclusive in the main, with the option to order extras at a small surcharge. Point to note, 2 out of 5 of us suffered from a bad tummy but this cleared up within 24 hours. I wouldn't rate the food as 5 star, prob more of a 3.
Drinkswise, plenty of choice on cocktails all made with local spirits, the beer is also local and almost non-alcoholic, but tastes OK. Plenty of bottled water everywhere, I dread to think how many they get thru on a resort this size!!
Pools - good choice and size of pools. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids under 6, the kids pool was perfect, 25cm to 75cm in depth which enabled them to swim on their own and improved their confidence in the water dramatically. Hotel provided beach towels and bags to carry all your stuff in which was a bonus
Beaches - private beach outside the resort, was man made, but OK. Tide went out in the afternoon and snorkelling was good further out. Easy to see some beautiful fish.
Entertainment - good entertainment for the kids, but all in German from the live shoes to the magician, who even pulled out a German flag at the end of his show! Was a little frustrating - I'm not in anyway racist, but had we wanted to eat German food and be surrounded by german speaking individuals, we would have booked to go to Germany! Having said that, glad we weren't surrounded by Brits too (LOL) but was a shame not to have more mix of tourists. Only saw one other british family the whole holiday, just as we boarded the bus to come home!!
Mobile phone - WARNING - my iphone4 got hacked whilst we were at the Palace - I got home to 10+ calls made to my friends mobiles, home no's and even my hairdresser for between 10seconds and 5mins. This was not one of my kids messing with the phone as they were random no's and names. Be careful when using your phone out there and also beware roaming charges, they are hideously expensive in Eqypt, if you can turn these off, I suggest you do and don't get stung like I have - £150+ bill on my return home!

All in all, a lovely relaxing holiday, they could just improve the food (easily) sort out the tired accomodation and not allow sunbed hogging and it would have been a big improvement.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank stanchie
sutton surrey
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have been to this hotel many times both with my partner and with My kids and friends, I originaly stayed at the hotel adjoining, The Grand Makadi [Sister hotel] and decided to try the bigger Palace. Both were fantastic for many years but i must say parts are looking tired already as its very very busy! i think room updates are required and general areas need re decorating. Food is still very good for Egypt that can be a little drab at some hotels from time to time, Staff are great, Not always the reps unfortunately but thats reps for you! Anyway want a good holiday? Give it a go you probabaly will not be disapointed at the whole deal especially the cost! I gave this Hotel 5 stars before but will not do that until its back to its spledour as it was when it was new!
PS Check your room walls for damp patches and ask to be moved if you find any in the corners

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank holsmadSuttonSurrey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Myself and my boyfriend travelled with Red Sea Holidays and stayed at the Makadi Palace resort from 17th June - 24th June 2011. Having stayed at the resort twice previously with my mum (June 2009 and September 2010), I pretty much knew what I should be expecting in terms of standards of service and the accommodation. This was my boyfriend's first stay at the hotel and his first trip to Egypt.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful and are contstantly kept clean and tidy by the team of gardeners, pool cleaners etc., especially at night when the whole resort lights up! The rooms, fixtures and fittings are showing definite signs of wear and tear, which may be down to the fact that I don't think the hotel is ever closed so there isn't the time to undertake major renovations (for example, bath towels had threads hanging off them on a couple of occasions; the headboard fell off the wall on one side while we were sleeping and one night while we were getting ready for dinner; the drain in the bathroom brought water back up and consequently flooded the bathroom; some of the wooden sun loungers are broken and the beach towels are a bit threadbare).

There were a few other points we had issues with, and having seen what the Makadi Palace is capable of providing on two previous occasions where the service was very good, we weren't impressed. It took well over an hour, and two phone calls to reception, before someone was sent to mop up our bathroom and fix the problem with the drain. The minibar wasn't refilled by housekeeping even though I had filled in and signed the slip and left it in clear view for the staff, I consequently had to phone reception three times before someone was sent up to refill it, two hours later.

The service in some of the restaurants was absolutely dire in comparison to what I've experienced on my previous trips- the staff in the Rendez Vous pool bar are generally rude and surly. The staff in the Botanical Gardens restaurant didn't get our orders right and had to be asked by us to bring bread over to the table while the butter was sitting there melting. At the Caribbean restaurant (at the Grand Makadi), we arrived and our table was pointed out to us with a surly "there is your table", with no cutlery or place settings and we had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to ask us whether we'd like drinks and we ordered soup which didn't arrive. Despite this, the steak I had (Aruba Grill) for main was brilliant and cooked to perfection, however my boyfriend's chicken was overcooked. We did complain to the restaurant staff but they didn’t seem that bothered and their response was ‘we are very busy’. At the Italian restaurant (Grand Makadi), I had booked 2 days in advance and asked specifically for an outside table- when we arrived we were shown to a table inside and was told there was no space outside- frankly, not good enough. Despite these negatives, the food and service in the Thai Garden restaurant was brilliant; the staff are very attentive in bringing you fresh drinks and making sure you're enjoying yourself, as was the service in the Sunset Grill burger bar. Tip: go to the Thai Garden for lunch; they do a set menu consisting of starter, soup, main course and dessert, which was amazing on the two days we ate lunch there (the menu changes daily).

All in all the food was of a very good standard (especially in the a la carte restaurants), even if they did get your order wrong, the drinks are plentiful and the holiday is definitely very good value for money for a weeks' all inclusive.

One thing that did really annoy us, and in no way am I being racist or derogatory, was the Germans getting up at the crack of dawn every morning to reserve their sun loungers. There is a laminated piece of A4 paper on top of your beach towels (found in the room when you arrive and changed daily) saying not to reserve sun loungers as it's unfair on those who wish to have a lie in (which you should be able to do on holiday!), however this is not adhered to and the pool staff don't do anything to counteract it. I have lived in Germany and speak fluent German so I have no problems with the Germans per se, but I do think it's out of order that if you want a decent spot around the pool, you have to get up at 5:30am every day to go and put your towels down, otherwise if you wait until you go down for breakfast, even at 8am, you'll have a hard time finding anywhere. This is an issue for the hotel management and should be addressed and enforced more strongly- who wants to get up so early on holiday? I certainly don't!

We had a massage on the beach one day which was a very good value €25 per person for 50 minutes- they'll try to make you pay more but don't get caught out! The only issue with this was although the massage itself was good, you're lying on a massage table in a tent with about 4 other beds/ customers, so the masseuse ladies all stand there and talk to one another making it difficult for you to relax.

The evening entertainment is mainly geared towards the Germans as the main clientele of the hotel is German (approximately 90% I would say) and consists of karaoke, dancing, etc. There is a kids’ club and a kids’ swimming pool as well.

The hotel seemed much busier than I’d seen it before- this may be due to the fact that guests of the Makadi Family Star hotel (adjoins the Makadi Palace and catered towards families of 4-6 people) have to use the facilities of the Makadi Palace (pool, restaurants etc.). There were lots of children there and on a couple of occasions I had to ask them to go somewhere else as they were kicking water on us from the pool as they were playing. I’m not an ogre at all; I have a 6 year old nephew and a 5 year old niece, but when you’re getting water kicked all over your beach bag, towels and books, you are perfectly within your rights to say something.

We didn't do any excursions while we were there as we went just to enjoy the sun and lounge around the pool so can't comment on any of those. We also didn't venture into Hurghada (although the hotel provide a free shuttle bus taking you there and back which you have to book 24hrs in advance at reception), but having done this before, it’s quite nice to see the local culture up close and grab some shopping bargains.

I should stress that we are a gay male couple of 24 years old, and while we didn't flaunt it in peoples' faces with public displays of affection (which even straight couples should avoid in muslim countries), we were made to feel very uncomfortable by some of the staff in the way they spoke to us and their bahaviour. We made friends with a straight couple and 'compared notes' when we'd eaten in the same restaurants and it seemed as though they'd enjoyed a much better standard of customer service across the board. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Makadi Palace for gay couples, and I think we'll probably avoid Egypt altogether in future for somewhere a bit more liberal and friendly.

With regards to tipping, don’t take British pound coins, the Egyptians do not like them and will ask you to change them for £5 or £10 notes all week… Get a large selection of small denomination Egyptian Pound notes, such as 5LE, 10LE, 20LE. They also like € too. As a rule, we tipped the pool boys 20LE (about £2.20) per day so they’d bring us our constant supply of soft and alcoholic drinks, at lunch around 20LE, in the a la carte restaurants when the service was good, 30-40LE (£3-£4) and housekeeping at the end of the week, 50LE (about £5.50). The bell boys who bring your cases up and down at the beginning and end of the week, we gave them 10LE for each case (so 20LE in total).

For people that have said the food is dodgy, it’s not. It’s our bodies’ reaction to the different bacteria in Egypt that gives you stomach upsets. All the salad, fruit and vegetables are washed in bottled water, and the ice is made out of bottled water too. I didn’t get a stomach upset but my boyfriend did. If you do, go to the pharmacy in the Makadi Family Star hotel and for 15€ (c. £13), he’ll give you a course of tablets that’ll sort you out in 24-48 hours.

One last thing- this being my third time to the Makadi Palace, it was lovely that the Red Sea Holidays rep, Mahmoud, recognised me and greeted me with a handshake and a ‘welcome back, nice to see you again’ at the airport, and a few members of staff at the hotel said to me ‘I recognise you, welcome back’, with big smiles on their faces. It just shows that when the service is good, it’s brilliant and when it’s awful, it’s dire.

If we were to go back, we’d definitely choose the Makadi Palace over the Grand Makadi (the grounds and pool are nicer and the restaurants are better) but I think after 3 times where I’ve seen the standards of service and the décor etc. drop quite significantly, we wouldn’t go back again now. Also, I wouldn’t recommend Egypt as a holiday destination for gay couples- at times we felt uncomfortable and humiliated, although it didn’t ruin our holiday. For the price we paid (just over £400 per person for everything), it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Email hotel: 3rd floor room near reception