“honest review from repeat guest”

Nuweiba Coral Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Nuweiba
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks in May, having first visited in 2007. I have thought long and hard before writing this review but believe it is fair and honest.

Flight with Thomson was bearable, there is no upgrade option, we booked with Longwood and if you do the same please be aware you cannot request an extra leg room seat until 7 days prior to departure, at which point of course they have all been sold. At Taba airport you do not need a Visa if you are going to Petra or Jerusalem so don't bother with the massive queue.

We asked for a room in block one which has the best sea views, we were allocated a room block 3 which was clean, had loads of storage and was perfectly adequate. The beach is perfect as far as we are concerned, clear, calm sea, loads of palapas, no early trip to get a sunbed and a quiet spot can be found if you wish. The reason we loved this place is the beach, sea, peaceful atmosphere and the quietly efficient staff. Try out the massages on the beach - fabulous, particulary the aromatherpay one.

Now for the not so positive aspects. Hilton management have clearly had a shift in policy and made changing which appear solely based on cost cutting. It would seem that this is the reason the Thomson no longer offer this hotel to UK guests - more about this later. Subsequently there were only about 20 British people in resort, which was at about 40% occupancy, so we were told by hotel staff.

* There are no longer soft drinks in your room, just one 1.5l bottle of water daily. That is all very well but when you have to drink at least 2l per person daily, your bottle does not go far.
* There are water coolers in the restaurant, Cafe Pesto and beach bar - fine if they have anything in them but on a fair number of occasions they were all empty.
* Drinks are served in tiny plastic cups, no more than a few mouthfuls, so you have to request a number of them at a time if you are trying to rehydrate.
* The food in the restaurant caters mainly for Russian tastes, there were some bizarre food combinations on offer. Breakfast has a good selection to cater for almost all tastes, lunch is reasonable, evening meal selection was at the very most, acceptable.
* Cafe Pesto serves pasta and cheese drenched pizza, there is a salad bar but the lettuce had a strange smell, which I can only describe as like cleaning fluid, possibly from the serving dishes? We ate there just once this time.

What I cannot reconcile, is that the other hotels in Taba Heights are of a similar price to this resort, but offer what appears to be a far superior dining experience, as reported by other guests and from what I saw when I had a nose in the hotels on the way back to the airport - so clearly it is not a matter of unavailability of produce, but economics.

For the first time in many years of travelling, we decided we wanted to leave our chosen resort and transfer elsewhere. We phoned our Longwood Rep, as he comes to the hotel just once a week and stays there overnight. We asked to move, to be told he would see what options we had and get back to us. He didn't, but he did tell the hotel management who invited us to a meeting with various departmental managers. I can see their intentions were good, but frankly it was like pulling teeth and a holiday is no place for protracted negotiation over soft drinks. The management were insistant that Thomson were still sending guests via Longwood, but I think they are confusing Thomson Airways planes with the Thomson/TUI travel company. Anyway the upshot was that we got moved/upgraded into a bungalow, which was lovely but unnecessary and given more water, a large bottle of sprite, coke and some fruit juice. However, after one week the staff changed over and we were back to square one, not allowed soft drinks and after challenging that, being told we would be charged extra for the water etc, etc..................

We were also told to speak with Sammy the restaurant manager who would ensure a dish to our liking was prepared each night - Sammy and the restaurant staff were fabulous - he is an absolute credit to the hotel and pretty much saved our holiday with his attention and kindness. Chef was very helpful too and prepared the most wonderful chicken Caesar salad I have had for a long time. My top tip re food would be, if you don't like what is on offer, speak to Sammy or Chef, they are more than willing to ensure you get something you will enjoy.

Unfortunately during my stay I also had to make use of the medical facilities at the hotel, the Doctor I saw was very attentive, kind, helpful and I have made a full recovery.

So in conclusion, although we had a nice break, we will not be going back to this resort. With a limited amount of time to take a holiday, when I get away, I want it to be easy and straightforward. We chose to return here because of the beach, sea and the short flying time, however we have had far superior experiences in the Carribean for a similar price.

The issues I have mentioned could be very easily resolved with minimal expense. This resort is in the most wonderful location with a perfect, family friendly beach, beautiful grounds and fabulous staff. Should the Hilton management take heed, listen to this type of review (of which there are many) and make the changes required to restore the resort to it's previous standard, I would go back in a heartbeat. But not until then....

Room Tip: ASK, ASK, ASK, either via email or on arrival
6  Thank catpusspink
Ashrafyounis, Assistant front desk manager at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you very much for the time you spared to write your valuable comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Nuweiba Coral Resort and the efforts you took to share your views with us.

For your kind information, your comments are of great importance to us, only through it, we can aim to improve the level of services that our guests receive, and in today’s world this is essential.

I am sorry the hotel experience was not up to your satisfaction. Therefore I have discussed all your respective comments into details with our management team. Who I can assure you, has taken the necessary measures to ensure that those comments are rectified.

please rest assured that we take such comments seriously and follow them through in every case. It is always our intention to create the best possible environment for our guests’ satisfaction whilst on vacation.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you once again at Hilton Nuweiba Coral Resort in the soonest future.

Ashraf younis

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Me and my sun we spend 25 days in this paradise (from 19 April to13 May). It was our second time in this hotel. I join all the positive reviews about the hotel.
We hadn `t any non solved problem during our stay. The staff was always friendly, helpful, pleasant with us and did one `s best to make our stay there happy and unclouded.
It `sa really beautiful and very quiet place for a quiet family holiday.
Good food, good selection of meals for adults and children. Room is very comfortable. Every day clean and fresh. Wonderful beach, you don `t need special shoes to swim.
I can compare this hotel now and two years ago.

"+" Of this year:
-Manager guest-relations speaking Russian (thank you very much dear Natalia for our stay).
Before it was very difficult for the Russian people non speaking foreign languages to explain something to the English and Arabic speaking staff.

-Excellent animation team. Luca, Zico and Boto was very attentive, friendly, kind, polite with all tourist and their children. They like his job and have fun every day with guests on aquaaerobic, stretching, disco, volley-ball. Children are in love with they.

-Very good idea to place the coolers with water in two bars (beach and pool) and in the restaurant. You don `t need to ask, to wait, to carry with you a bottle.

"-" And my wishes:
Really all inclusive (with wine after the dinner and not only in the restaurant, the possibility to eat something in poolbar in the evening, the possibility to play pin-pong, golf, tennis, pool, to take a boot, catamaran, snorkeling free at least one time a week and other pleasant things that are very important for the guests ..
Bikes or scooters at least for the children free or for money.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tania_Artem
Ashrafyounis, Guest Relations at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Dear Tatiana,

How always nice to receive positive comments from a very important guest like yourself, I am so happy and proud that we succeeded to meet your expectations and we managed to make your recent holiday as enjoyable as ever.

It is a pleasure to see that in general you were happy with the service you received during your stay with us. We have taken notes of your kind comments and will pass it on to all departments concerned.

For your kind information, your comments are of great importance to us, only through your comments, we aim to improve the level of services that our guests’ receive, and in today’s world this is essential.

Once again, I would like to thank you for the time spent to write to us and we really are looking forward to seeing and welcoming you back again to your second home.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 24 May 2011

A repeat vist for us after 3 years absence. Some trepidation after reading recent reviews, but the majority of negative comments have been addressed: rooms were clean and fresh, pool now renovated, pier repaired and is now an evening bar (watch the fish with your G&T!), any paid services can be signed for. Only niggle is that wine not available free outside of restaurants - but lots of free local spirits and beer so no real problem. Bottled water no longer supplied, except 1 large bottle/day in room. There are plenty of top-up points for cold water - maybe a moan, but it has reduced the waste plastic enormously and on balance a good move. Chris and the dive team were excellent - friendly and helpful. Hotel was very quiet and there were a high proportion of Eastern European guests (as there are all over the Red Sea area);no problem but they all seem miserable! Beach is very large and clean - sandy with a few stones, but sea should never be entered with bare feet (we saw several Stonefish in the shallows) - but this is applies to all Red Sea beaches. We never went to the night club. In summary a quiet but comfortable hotel with good pools and beaches, all inclusive (although food occasionally repetitive -but there is a fresh cooked dish (e.g. grill, bbq etc) each night). Shore diving excellent.

Room Tip: Block 3 quietest.3rd floor best views.
2  Thank Linda_and_Paul_11
Ashrafyounis, Guest relations at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear Mrs. Linda,

Guest relation

Reviewed 22 May 2011

This hotel has a lovely house reef in my opinion ideal for divers who wish to practice photography like me. The reef is mainly between about 6M to 20M They have all sorts of macro life (nothing big) but in particular a number of frog fish, robust pipe fish lots of eels, lion scorpion and stone fish etc. (not sure how much snorklers would see) There are also other shore dive sites nearby. We only went to two as we enjoyed house so much and also did a couple of courses during the week. The resident dive centre is Emperor Divers once shown the reef as a qualified buddy pair we were allowed to dive on our own but the dive staff seemed particularly good at finding things. We had some excellent instruction and fun on a peak performance bouyancy course and helped with a clean up dive and some coral surveying. Overall we found Emperor and their staff to be an excellent set up. Hotel was lovely it has beautiful gardens and a nice beach. Staff very pleasant, food at breakfast and evening buffet style with reasonable selection and quality appropriate to the great value of the all inclusive deal that we got..(For additional charge there is also an A La Carte restaurant not sure if open every night) Hotel seemed quiet whilst we were there but staff did their best to provide entertainment in the evening and beach activities. Overall Great place to relax and whist there we met a number of return divers we now understand why. We stayed in a superior room garden views which was of good standard. Note i dived in 3mm wet suit and was just about ok but most had 5mm or more. Based on my experience nice place for a relaxing holiday and diving.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Ashrafyounis, Guest Relations at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Dear Mr. Mkdon,

Guest relations

Reviewed 20 May 2011

Spent two weeks on a diving break at the Nuweiba Coral Hilton and to be honest it wasn’t a patch on, Sharks Bay, Sharm Waterfalls or Hilton Dahab. The food was bland and uninspiring and most days were just a variation on a theme and how on earth you can interpret international cuisine as huge lumps of fried liver I just don’t know.

The staff argued amongst themselves much of the time which resulted in them going on strike in the second week, which then resulted in senior management standing in front of them in the main public courtyard with lots of vitriolic finger pointing aggressive angry shouting from them and equally aggressive behaviour from the staff which all resulted in the police being called. That said, it was nice to have a bit of real entertainment, instead of the German version of the floral dance over and over and over. Some of the videos on YouTube make interesting watching.

I reported our air-conditioning broken four times, after the first time they didn’t bother turning up, I reported the shower handle broken no one did anything, I reported the recessed light dangling out of the ceiling, no one did anything about it. The water went off for much of one day, the hot water stopped working for two days.

They have a huge mosquito problem and during the day most people had massive and numerous bits, I don’t usually bother with repellent as I very rarely get bitten, but I was bitten several times each night and when we purchased repellent from the onsite pharmacy the owner said business was very good and he was selling loads of spray and had run out of cream and oil, ages ago.

The hotel was about three quarters empty, a lot of the big well known British tourist agencies have pulled out. According to the reception much of their business was the Russian market but that has almost dried up completely. The place felt like a ghost town, they had stopped laying up much of the dining room, one bar was closed, the posh restaurant is only open for two short spells a week and one whole accommodation block was closed and looked as though the SAS had been having attack training inside.

The dive centre wasn’t a whole lot better, most of the staff are new, they had very little local knowledge, one got lost part way through a dive and had to surface to find out where we were and one lost two out of a group of six. If the hotel is only a quarter full you can guess how busy the dive centre was. We booked nine days diving which means two dives a day which is eighteen dives but they only use six dive sites, so when we were offered a guided tour of the small house reef for the fifth time we politely declined and didn’t bother with the last days diving.

So in short would I go back? I’m afraid not in a million years, so next year Dahab Hilton here we come, top professional diving from Sinai Divers, good food and a top notch hotel.

I can’t wait for the management defensive reply.

Room Tip: Don go to Neweiba
6  Thank Discovered

Dear guest,

Please rest assured that we take such comments seriously and follow them through in every case. It is always our intention to create the best possible environment for our guests’ satisfaction whilst on vacation.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I have returned home after another holiday at your beautiful resort. There is no doubt you have the best location of all the Red sea resorts what a pity it has been changed so much as to spoil what would have otherwise been the usual perfect holiday.
The staff still are the best on the planet and for this reason alone I will return but I regret that many returning customers will not.
You have taken away several of the all inclusive items that we have become accustomed to, snorkelling and being able to charge to the room being 2 of them. The drinks being changed is ridiculous, can see absolutely no reason for not being able to have a glass of wine after you leave the restaurant. Not everyone wants to drink spirits or be filled with gas from fanta cola etc. Rethink this please along with being able to charge to the room and settle bills at the end of your stay. The hotel will suffer for this as the shop owners will let me run up a bill and do exactly that!!
As for the jetty, as much as I appreciate the damage caused at the end of last year, saying it was closed for repair work is not true. Some days it was being workied on but at night it was set out for people to sit on but cordoned off those of us that wanted to see the fish. NNot everyone that goes on holiday wants to drink, a misconception I feel, why couldn't I just go and see the fish without having a drink? I was assured when visiting your hotel in Octzober that this ridiculous idea was to be aborted, I suggest you do just that.
Problems with regard to all inclusive have been forwarded on to Thomsons as they are still showing it as all inclusive as it was last year and the notice board at the hotel was also showing the same. Obviously I haven't had a response. I have no problem with the hotel in the whole as they did everything they could to accomodate my party as satisfactorily as possible. I will be back in October and I would hope that some of these issues will be rectified

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jayne-LM
Ashrafyounis, Guest relations at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2011

Dear Ms. Jayne,

Reviewed 22 April 2011

Over thirty five of us invaded this hotel last week and we all had a good time. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the room boys enjoyed making animals etc out of the towels. The restaurants had a good selection of food and the waiters were generous with the wine. We only drank the red wine and it was a bit of an acquired taste and sometimes tasted a bit watered down, but it was all quite acceptable. Sammi who runs the restaurant made sure that everybody is happy and is proud of 'his boys' and the work they do.

All of the staff everywhere were very friendly and helpful. The range of drinks in the bars was a bit limited but vodka with fanta or vodka with pineapple juice was quite drinkable!

The dive centre team run by Chris was excellent, especially coping with such a large group of divers. The diving was all shore dives and the entries from the hotel beach were especially gentle and easy. Jeeps were used to transport divers to other local sites, up to about 30 minutes drive away.

The pools were a bit chilly and the sea water also felt cool to start off with - unless you wore your wetsuits!!

If you are not a diver and you want to snorkel, then it is a bit limited, but if you go under the pier then you can see a lot of lionfish and cornet fish and some beautiful little christmas tree worms living in the coral that has grown on the pier supports.

Room Tip: Block three was closest to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2011
Ashrafyounis, Guest relations agent at Nuweiba Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2011

Dear guest,

Natalia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuweiba
0 mi away
#7 of 22 in Taba
Sayadeen Village Nuweiba
Sayadeen Village Nuweiba
#9 of 15 in Nuweiba

Been to Nuweiba Coral Resort? Share your experiences!