“Icy stairs stopped me”

US$26.40*
and up
St Catherine Monastery and Mt Sinai Sunrise Tour from Dahab
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Mount Sinai. One of the top destinations on my trip through the Holy land. Reading most of TripAdvisor reports on climbing to the top and to admire the sunset. Well I am not that young any more (almost 60), but still in a quite good shape. We have left our hotel in St. Catherine at 2 in the morning. In the mid of February, I was expected more pilgrims. The uphill was quite a decent one, not a big challenge. After almost two hours we have reached the beginning of the famous stairs. In a moment I found myself staying at the very beginning of the stairs and due to icy track (and due to my vertigo phenomena) I should quit. Be very clear. It is not dangerous at all. But - if you are not secure when icy or similar conditions occurred, it is better to quit. Its painful, but very rational. Any damage of the lag might jeopardise the whole trip and may harm the group. When I decided to quit, I rest for a while in a Bedouin tent, then I found a place from where I was able to see one of the most fascinating sun rise in my life. What a red colour of the almost 200 meters high wall above me. I have attached some pictures of the sunrise which was done by my wife at the top of the mountain. She has no problems at all. Let me conclude. I believe that I will come back to reach the top. What the powers are all around!!

1  Thank Vinetou
Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)
All reviews
"moses"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Tips:
Pack for bus sleep (ear plugs, eye mask, pillow)
+5 on top is freezing cold. Do dress for coldness
Bring cat food with your lunchpack. 20+ poor creatures will even eat bread at the base camp

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked a trip to St Katherine's Monastery through Cosmos while we were staying at the Oriental Resort in Sharm el Sheik. We were picked up from our hotel at 6.30am and travelled through the desert in a comfortable minibus, watching the sunrise over Tiran Island on our way. Some way along the road, we were joined by guests from hotels in another part of the area and, together, we travelled through the desert. The scenery was amazing with mountains, different coloured stones, bedouin villages and occasional oases. It was fascinating to watch the light play on the rocks. We had a stop at a roadside cafe where we were able to eat our picnic breakfast. We arrived at St Katherine's at about 10.15. We walked a short way up to the monastery (taxis or camels were on hand to take those who were unable to walk. We refreshed our minds about the story of Moses and the burning bush, the Ten Commandments and the story of the Israelites building a golden calf, before we went into the monastery area. We looked at the frescoes and the well given by Napoleon before proceeding into the church where we reflected in silence and looked at the paintings and various objects which decorated it. Awe then came outside again and saw the burning bush which is still growing from the root system of the original bush seen by Moses. After leaving the monastery precincts, we walked a little further along the road to look at the way up Mount Sinai ( or Mount Moses/Mount Horeb) and reflected on the giving of the Ten Commandments to Moses. Out guide the helped us climb up the rocks opposite the monastery where we had a photo opportunity with the monastery buildings as a backdrop to our picture. We then had time for a refreshing drink before our driver took us back along the road to the National Park Visitor Centre with its displays about the history, environment, and people of the area.

After our visit ended, we were driven back through the desert to Dahab, where we had lunch at the Ali Baba restaurant, time for shopping and the. returning to our hotels around sunset.

Our driver, the guides and photographer did everything possible to make our day interesting and memorable and I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in the Bible. history or the local environment.

4  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was definately one of the highlites of my 3 weeks trip to Egypt! It is a long journey to do the sunrise trip but worth all the effort. One needs to be fit an the climb in long and brisk, one has to keep up to your group, that said if you do feel you've bittten off more than yiu can chew so to speak, you can always hire a camel! There are 2 or 3 coffee rest stops along the way, and at the last one one can hire a blanket for the waiting period before sunrise. I was there in the winter and the snow that had fallen in December was still visible begin January 2014, it was pretty cold and the altitude made it even colder. The view of the sunriseover the mountainsis spectacular. A definate on tne list of "to do's" whilst in the area!

3  Thank yols57
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Moses is a prominent figure in the 3 Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This is an amazing 14km (total both ways) night climb under the stars, following the foot steps of Moses to where he received the 10 commandments at the summit to the monastery where the same water well Moses met his wife and even viewings of the burning bush (same spot, new bush).

Mt. Sinai hike with local Bedouin was lovely (but hard work). The cold wind at the last 750 steps literally took my breath away.

TIPS: We brought wooly hats, scarfs, gloves, sweaters, long johns, and our winter jackets, which was all needed at the top! If you do not want to carry all that back with you to hot Sharm, then bring clothes to donate to your local bedouin guide - because it does get cold at night in and around Mt. Sinai!

-Bring a little container of fish from your all-inclusive buffet hotel, at the top of the summit there is a local (homeless) cat about 7 years old but very skinny. We spotted it because it MEOWS very loudly - the only way it will be seen or heard. I brought fish for myself but knew I could eat as much as I wanted at the hotel in a few hours; meanwhile the cat gobbled the fish in seconds.

7  Thank PBirdie