“Overall a nice hotel with friendly, hard working staff.”
Review of Jaz Sharks Bay

Jaz Sharks Bay
Ranked #33 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Overall a nice hotel with friendly, hard working staff.”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here with my partner from 5-19th July. On arrival we were greeted with a drink and taken to our room. The first room allocated to us was right at the side of the pool and we stated that we preferred a room with a private balcony, this was sorted within ten minutes and we were moved. Our room was cleaned every day and fresh towels were also provided. The air conditioning was fine and the tv channels showed some fantastic films throughout our stay.

The pool are was a vibrant and friendly place, the lifeguard put our towels out every morning in our favourite spot, which was great. The animation team ran various activities throughout the day, aqua aerobics, water polo, table tennis etc. My partner played water polo, which was great fun to watch ! There is a guy who comes to the pool area selling massages from the sister hotel spa, we went for a Cleopatra and Turkish and have to admit that it was absolutely fantastic, they pick you up and drop you off so transport isn't an issue (but you must haggle him on the price!) We also spent the day at the beach whilst there which was great.

The food the hotel was a little hit and miss at times, it did tend to get repetitive although I suppose most all inclusive hotels are like that. There were some issues with other guests pinching people's tables whilst they were collecting food, which did cause some friction, however the hotel tried to rectify this by making sure there was a table available before letting guests into the dining room. The waiters were very hard working and always getting us drinks throughout our stay and ensuring we were happy and had our needs met.The poolside snack bar is ok, but the service at times was exceptionally slow. Overall the food was fine, you can always find something that you like to eat.

The evening entertainment wasn't to my taste but people appeared to be enjoying themselves from what I could see from my balcony. I didn't like the fact that people could smoke, this really did put me off.

The perfume shop upstairs has a great atmosphere and the two guys that work there are lovely. If you have an upset tummy whilst away, they happily make you some special tea that really does help!

During our stay we went to Cairo for 2 days, this is a must of you have time to go. We stayed overnight in a hotel in Cairo and must say it was amazing seeing the pyramids, sphinx, visiting the museum and seeing and hearing about the local history, as well as a boat trip down the river Nile. It is a jam packed tiring 2 days but well worth it! We also went on safari and camel riding, which was great fun. We also went to Soho Square and Naama Bay, both places were great and well worth a visit in the evening, i really enjoyed my evenings out there. There are plenty of shops and places to eat, although the TGI Fridays is Naama Bay is rubbish and i would not recommend it.

Overall I can honestly say we had a fantastic time, we enjoyed our stay and the staff worked exceptionally hard to make sure all of your needs were catered for. The staff team as a whole are a credit to this hotel and I cant really fault Sol Y Mar generally and would happily recommend for people to stay here.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 349.. nice room over looking the pool with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank debbiejo74
SolYMarSharksBay, General Manager at Jaz Sharks Bay, responded to this review, 26 September 2012

Thank you for choosing Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel to spend your holiday
My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.

“Customer Recommended”

This recognition directly influences our commitment to further improvements in 2012.

Ibrahim Khalil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had a lovely welcoming!!!!!
The food is awful we ate out 95% of the night or ordered local take away which is disappointing seeing as I payed to eat at hotel otherwise I would have gone self catered the food that was served to you was extremely small portions I am not a big eater and for me i was going to bed at night with stomache ache because I was hungry I ended up loosing half a stone due to awful food!!! The entertainment people favour the polish over the english and are quick to moan about English!!! At the beginning of our holiday we would have a whole small pizza 3 days later I was given half when asked for whole and another 3 days later I only received 3 slices! Also my friend that came with us was pregnant and they would refuse her food when she hadn't eaten!!! The entertainment team didn't really put much hard work into what they did and where happy to look like they didn't wanna be their which is disappointed the head of the entertainment team looks terrible like he needs a good night sleep (lol) not a good look on hotel!
Guy that does taxi he is a con!! He told us one price to Nama bay they when we looked on his price list on his desk he had charged us double the price I think that take the mickey causing a disagreement and catching a cab from side of the road costing half the original price!!!
The pool if u look properly with goggles it is dirty!!!!!
The bathrooms are not safe!!!
The showers do not have doors on them which means the whole bathroom filled with water and many time I slip on the tiles especially on the step into the shower!!
Also staff would tell you that it is one drink at a time due to lack of glasses!!!
Room service was awful
Would take an hour to make a sandwich and then would bring you something you didn't order!
Thee staff like nabil waiter and thew of the dinner waiters were lovely and a pleasure to talk to and very helpful couldn't do more for you! Our room cleaner mahamed was soooo kind such a great man always happy n smiling!!! Pool attendants were lovely guys very shy!
The hotel is very quiet and boring dull light that make you feel constantly tired definitely for the older generation!!!
Ienjoyed my time in Egypt and met some wicked people and the minor of the staff also made it very enjoyable would come back to Egypt but would not stay at this hotel!!!!!
Hope this helps any of you on ur plans to Egypt!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nina S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed here two years ago. Had a fantastic time. Hotel was clean, with an excellent entertainment team. Bar staff went over and above to ensure your drink was topped up and you were having a good time. Excellent choice of food. Omlette/egg station at breakfast, pasta station at night.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chatterbox_scotland

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a week on july 5th, the hotel was lovely and clean the staff were spot On although i think they could do with more staff especially at meal times but they work so hard and do a really good job!! Especially if you tip them we tipped one waiter throughout our stay and he couldnt do enough! The food in my opinion was terrible but i think this may be because i was ill all week apart from the last 2 days, i didnt enjoy the food at all though my boyfriend was ok with it. The staff in the perfume shop upstairs were brilliant and made you nice tea if u get a poorley belly. Bit gutted that we spent 940 quid aswell as being all inclusive!! But overall the holiday was great, recommend the sand buggys and aqua park, not the cleo park.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank keira26

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Me and my partner have just returned from 1 week at the sol y mar sharks bay hotel and to be fair, we are happy to be back! First impression of the hotel and reception area was nice and was greeted by Ahmed who was very pleasent, we was given room 125 by the pool side, the room was small but ok and very warm when we arrived. The pool area was a bit grubby but the pool area is cleaned in the morning. Our safe didnt work so we had to request on 3 different occassion for this to be corrected atfer 90 mins the head of security and another member of staff arrived at our room to open the safe, we had to sign a number of paper work and they left the room completely for us to change the code, which we thought was really good!

We arrived around 11'oclock and the snack bar was very poor with only a small selection of cakes, the hygiene of the dinner area wasn't great the water cooler was dirty and the table cloths was not clean and the staff looked very scruffy.

ROOM - was small and the air conditioning didn't work, we were very hot through out our stay but our sun beds were right outside our room which was great, we did see a couple of insect in our room but this was not due to bad cleanliness. The hot water didn't work but to be fair we appreciated this!

POOL AREA - the pool boy Amr was brilliant thoughout our holiday, we gave him a small tip at the beginning of our holiday and found our towels on our beds outside our room every morning, he worked very hard without any support from other members of staff, he cleaned the pool give out towels and worked around a 17 hr shift seven days a week. Amr struggle to keep the large pool area clean but I believe this was due to lack of staff and not him! On our last day around the pool we arrived to flowers on our sunbeds which I thought this very lovely!

BAR SERVICE - Nabil was very lovely but yet again due to lack of staff there was one bar staff to service the whole hotel of a day and of an evening, the red wine was not red wine, it was a consumption of different drink to make red wine, there was alway a shortage of glasses but this was due to the lack staff and their enable to collect the glass at hight peak times!

FOOD - Was not good at all I had an upset stomach thoughout our stay, the food options were chicken and rice or beef stew the food is very repetitive and they could not seem to cater for the whole hotel, you had to que for dinner which wasnt a problem so u know you had a table because other guest from the hotel whould nick your table and this was causing problems, yet again the was always a shortage of glasses. By the time we reached the dinner hall around 7.30pm there was never no food, you were waiting around 15-20 mins for the food to come out. 4days into our stay we arrived to the dinner hall to no food yet again when there was other guest with loafs of bread and buffet style food on thier table I was very upset to yet again waiting for chicken and rice or stew to be cooked again I requested to see the manager, I explained my issues and felt they could not cater for the amount of gust and was upset that my partner had already eaten and I had to wait around the above time I didn't eat that evening, the general manager seem unconcerned and the arguement was bouncing from side to side when he should have just taking in what I was trying to explain, after around 20min conversation that was going know where I stated that I will be placing this on trip advisor well the general manager could not do enough for us until the end of our stay, we was given a free la carte for dinner for two, our drinks were continuously topped up, we really did appreciate this and the staff were amazing but I believe he could of sorted this issue a lot sooner, the service at dinner towards the end, they seemed to have more staff and there were glasses at dinner the food came out quicker but with a little wait which to be fair I couldnt complain. There were a number of people with upset stomach and sickness I would say the food was very safe to eat, to be fair!

ENTERTAINMENT - was ok not for me but I do like just sunbathing in the day and reading my book but can't really comment on but the staff in general, Monty was funny and very out going, water polo had a great atmoshpere and they all seemed to be generally nice. Please beware there is no spa located at this hotel, if you have a message, you get transferred to the sister hotel which is about 15 mins away, he doesnt tell you that either.

MONEY - We was ripped off on a lot of occasion, and very hard to get small change so please, I advise get some small change before you go! We would get a cab from the hotel desk and would pay around £6.00 each way which we didn't have a problem with due to safety reason but the cab driver never had no change so we would pay even more for the transfer, this happen on 3 differnet occassion so the forth time we told them man at reception if he didnt have change we will only pay the nearest amount to what litlle change we had.we would have tip each time out of courtesy but after a while this becomes very cheecky. The shops in the hotel did the same. We went to the hard rock cafe in Nama bay and order around of drinks for six of us and wasn't advised that we had to settle the bill after each round, there was a service charge, city tax and resturant tax, we were paying an extra £10.00 on each round, When we placed the money this was taken and waited for the change which we would have not got if we didn't request after this atfer 10mins. I know it may be a couple of pounds but we were giving out a lot more than we should have been. We also went to a bar out side in nama bay and they added extra to the bill, and that's because we checked the bill Before paying.

I know this was a budget holiday but the standard are low and I would not return to this hotel the people in general were nice but other then that we made the best of our holiday, but I can say there was an elderly couple who paid an extra £500.00 to fly home early. our Thomas rep was useless, he advised on our first day we will have to check out for 12 noon but the fasciities of the hotel will remained the same which it did and stated that we could use the shower in the spa when we need to leave the hotel, well like I said there was no spa and too late to pay for late check out because we thought we had use of the spa, we were provide with a room to us after the confusion he will tell u not to go to Nama bay because it's not a nice place and the locals are rude, there not just a bit of hassle but that the whole point in going. you have McDonald's, KFC, hard rock and TGI Firdays which all was very nice places to eat. Soho square is very nice but more expensive you have a really nice Chinese, Indain restaurant, you have the ice bar in Soho square which is cool. Pasha, bars and clubs are in Nama bay!

I hope this was of some help or enlightens your view on this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cara803

Thank you for choosing Sol y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel to spend your holiday

My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. We are extremely committed to delivering the perfect holiday experience for each and every guest.

I do apologize that we didn't accomplish this for you and we welcome any suggestions for improving and developing our service.

Please contact me by e-mail gm@solymarsharksbay.com in order to discuss your impressions in more detail.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Just got back off my Holliday and I can honestly say that I had an amazing time.... Me and my girlfriend stayed for 10days and with a huge thank you to all of the staff and most of the guests we were really impressed. Firstly all of the reception staff were brilliant and did everything they could to help resolve any issues especially to two Ahmed's. Then you had the bar staff who were excellent with special thanks to Amir and Tamer. Then there were the animation team who were brilliant from the first thing in the morning to the last orders at night were just always there to put a smile on your face. BIG SHOUT OUT TO "MONTY, YANKEE AND BIOO" They were quality! And then you had Amr the Lifeguard another proper stand up guy and just a great laugh. Then we had the house keeping team the Manager Mohamed and two of his staff Yousef and Mohamed again were all really great guys especially manager Mohamed who I personally had many great conversations with. I could go on forever about what was great about Sol y Mar it's was that good. The only things which were by no means complaints was firstly the food. If you ended up staying in the hotel for every dinner the food would get repetitive but I wouldn't expect anything else from all inclusive and we just managed it by going out to some lovely restaurants in naama bay and soho square. And the 2nd thing which the hotel had no control over was some inconsiderate guests who weren't very polite and noisy but having gone out on a few occasions we found that this wasn't specific to the hotel. On the whole an amazing hotel which provided us with an amazing Holliday definate 5 out of 5 and we will be returning next year! Thanks to everyone at the Sol y Mar Sharks Bay hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank JudeDaniels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We arrived at Sol Y Mar on 21 June 2012 - check in great, shown to room and bags there within no time, room basic but good, flat screen tv, air con etc.... Not enough coat hangers only 6 between 2 of us. The room was cleaned everyday my only gripe was that the surface around the sink and the walls of the shower were not cleaned for the whole two weeks we were there, we were asked to fill in a questionnaire one evening at dinner and noted this as one of only a few minor issues and the next day I had our cleaner confronting me in the room and I felt guilty as other than that he was doing a great job.

The food was basically Chicken, Fish, Beef or Pasta everydaybut there was plenty of it, pizzas at pool side bar were great.

The bar would regularly run out of glasses so you would have to wait around for drinks.

The 11am shuttle to the beach could get really busy so it was basically a free for all and if you got on it was lucky if not you had a good 20min wait for it to return.

You would daily get harrassed at the beach and around the pool to have spa treatments, or book trips etc.... which was very annoying at times as even when they walk upto you and you say no they still continue to hassle you. We did give in to karim on the beach but did not get our monies worth or half of the treatment that was discussed I would not get talked into again thats for sure.

The sevice and staff seemed to be effecient/friendly in the first week and took a dip in the second but this seemed to be the same across a few hotels ( we had relatives staying else where)

Soho Sq (taxi from hotel return 80 Le) is ok its small and the Queen Vic Pub is a rip off when it comes to drinks

Naama Bay(taxi from hotel return 120 LE) is ok. They are waiting for you to get the taxi then harras you straight away to go and sign their uncles guest book, but the Camel Bar does great food and the drinks are cheap.

If you decide to go to Cairo pay the extra and fly, we decided to go by road big mistake, over 7 hours there and over 9 hours back ended up being on the go for over 28 hours! But I loved Cairo and glad I went.

The ultimate experience is worth the money, quad bikes, camel ride and evening dinner worth its money and enjoyed every moment.

All in all a good holiday for our first time in Egypt, would go back to Sharm but to a hotel that is actually on the beach.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor room 213, it was good for access to reception however the second night w...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple