“re: stay at tiran island”
Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #104 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We have recently returned from a 2 week stay at the tiran island, and have very mixed feelings about it, it was our first trip to egypt and don't know if we would return. Firstly the hotel was very nice and comfortable even though we requested 2 double rooms we were given only one and 1 with 2 singles pushed together. The restaraunt leaves a lot to be desired with the food the same every day, we knew what would be on the menu before entering the restaraunt. So we ate out alot, which cost us a lot more than we usually spend on an all inclusive holiday. If you wanted to go out it had to be by taxi, which are really cheap and even cheaper if your prepared to haggle as there was nothing but desert around us. The hotel is full of russians, who are very rude. The beach is either a bus ride or half mile walk down the road and not really a beach as it is all coral, so if you wanted to in the sea you had to walk down the pontoon to go in and if your not a very good swimmer it's no good as there is a drop of about 25 metres. if it wasn't for the staff, pool boys, mohammed, midau, sam and ahmed, the bar staff, chicco, hany. micheal and the lovely mohammed and not forgetting rachel who would go out of her way to help you it would have been a terrible holiday so thankyou boys and rachel for making our stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: when you arrive make sure you ask for a sea or pool view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Hi Tina and thanks for writing a review for us. I'm sad we only managed 3 stars but I'm glad you had a good stay. I will pass the review to the boys on the bar as it makes their day when someone writes good things about them.

If you decide to return to Egypt please let us know and we'll do our best to make it the best stay ever!!!

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed in this hotel from 10th - 17th August and had a great time. The staff are fantastic and are always smiling-especially chico in the pool bar. Ok.. so the food wouldnt be the hilight of the holiday but their was always plenty of it and we never had a day when we couldnt find anything that we didnt like. The staff in the restaurant were very nice especially A Sammy who would always be there to get you an extra cup of tea or top up your beer glass.Overall we had a great stay..the hotel is really lovely and we had a fabulous room.We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary whilst we were over there and were given a lovely gift from the hotel .We had a lovely meal in the indian on the night of our anniversary with Joe,Eve.Darren,Emma.Darren and Amanda ( Hi to you all !!) We would deffinately come back and loved Egypt.

Sue And John

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Ive been back for a week in the Uk now after my 10 day holiday at the Train Island hotel, I have mixed feelings about the hotel fristly id like to say the Room was lovely even thouigh as requested we didnt have a double bed, it was still cleaned each day and had a lovely view.

I wouldnt call the All Inclusive "all inclusive" as you are very restricted as to what times you can eat and drink and the food is not great and some of the Bars wernt even open!!.... in the main resturant I had butter that was a year out of date on my toast and was nearly sick :( most of the time we didnt eat as the food was very poor and was pretty much the same dishes every day. The hotel does however have an Indian resturant "House of Curry" that is amazing the food and service were superb but you have to pay to eat here as its not included in the All Inclusive package I would suggest that the hotel allows All Inclusive guests to eat in here at least once a week per weeks holiday as part of being All Inclusive.

I found the staff quite Rude and Moody they seemed annoyed when I went to ask for a drink ? not sure if this was due to the hotel being very understaffed. I did however find "Rachel" one of the managers really friendly and helpfull.

The hotel is nice and the pool area was clean and not over crowded, but I wont be visiting again.

2  Thank Felicity C
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Oh dear, we are having a bad run!

Thankyou for your review and your comments, as always we will take any comments on board and always look to improve standards in the hotel and I would like to remind everyone I am here 6 days a week to answer any questions and ensure you have the best possible holiday.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

this was our 2nd time here in this hotel we were there same time last year,the only faults i had was other people complaining about the food,for goodness sake your in egypt,the food is very good and well cooked there is something for everyone,the house of curry is fantastic,the room service is fantastic,staff lovely people and will do anything for you.rachel the hotel manager is a lovely person and is always around if you have a problem or even if you just want a gossip with her,hotel very clean,rooms are brill,large pool with pool bar is great,we can not say anything bad about it and we will go back sometime in the future.THANKYOU EVERYONE.kerry and stu.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

just arrived home this morning ! every aspect of this holiday was relaxing and very very enjoyable just what we needed ! we never went hungary! i was worried about the food because of the reviews on trip advisor ! all i can say is in 1 lunch time sitting you cud have spaggetti or pasta or chicken or chips or mash or beef or salad or soup and a roll or fruit or rice or burgers! thats just 1 sitting you dont have to have it all on 1 plate which most people did???? the cakes were amazing ! we didnt have any problems and didnt hear of any problems while we were there! but if we did we would have seen the best asset to this hotel which is rachel, she was always avalable for a chat and askng if everything was ok ! the bar staff in all the bars were fantastic and couldnt work harder if they tried. the rooms are fantastic, the cleaners are fantastic, The only thing that i would say was weak was the entertainment but they tried there best. So all in all superb and thank you. will be seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at the Tiran from the 5th to 15th September '11 via Easyjet holidays, and booked it as it had the best reviews and was very reasonably priced compared to the other hotels. We hadnt had a proper holiday for 18 months so we were really excited to be going to such a lovely looking resort for 10 days.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were impressed with the front lobby area and were quickly checked in and our bags taken to the room. The room was great, very large and clean with a super view of the neighbouring melia sinai hotel and palm trees with a sea view, and the air con was fab! The room was the best part of the hotel, and we frequently retreated back to the room for a bit of peace and quiet and to escape the constant hasstle from the 'over priced medina' selling their over priced wares of perfumes, pictures, massages, henna tattoos sand in a bottle etc!!

The pool is very impressive and large enough to accomodate swimmers, lilo's, people playing water polo etc. Usually always enough sun beds. The recreation staff are very helpful with the towels, assisting with the umbrellas and polite. A negative is that during certain parts of the day they play loud and repetitive pop music which gets very annoying after a few days. Best place to go to avoid the speakers is near the bar area. Again you can't escape the people selling massages, trips and newspapers. However they are nice and friendly people so just be polite and say no thanks!

The beach was a haven away from the busy pool area, it's only a very short walk from the hotel. I recommend the walk as the views are great. We tended to spend half a day at the pool and then the afternoon at the beach. However you can't swim out from the shore because of the coral, you need to walk along a jetty to be able to enter the sea. The sea is beautiful, crystal clear and great to swim in. We spent lots of time snorkeling around the coral (a big highlight of the holiday). Please be aware that the jetty gets very busy with speed boats taking out diving parties because of this you constantly need to watch out for your own safety, it didn't feel safe because of this. There needs to be a separate jetty for swimmers

The food over 10 days was montonous, dull and was frequently cold and poorly cooked. Examples the sea bass was very soggy, over cooked chicken, terrible burgers, veg was over cooked and tasteless. I found that a number of the butter packets were off! If you spend more than a week eating in there 3 times a day you end up not being able to face walking in the restaurant

Having said that there were good points: fresh bread, lots of choices of salad, aubergine mousaka, meat balls, good choice of soups. There were a few standout dishes but however these were infrequent. I did find that that there was always something to eat

Breakfast and the omelettes were the best, also very much enjoyed the falafel.

The wine was appalling and undrinkable unless you like to drink vinegar. Bring your own or buy a bottle from the supermarket

The hotel was fully booked for most of our stay, mostly by Russian and Polish holiday makers and the restaurant was full to capacity which meant the restaurant staff struggled to keep up. Often having no spare tables, cutlery, glasses etc Needless to say, I came down with a stomach bug after a few days.

We didn't spend much time around the bar in the hotel, just because the drinks aren't pleasant and the area is not that welcoming and is full of ciggarette smoke.

In summary the staff are great and friendly, the food and drink needs massive improvement, the hotels rooms are great and spacious and comfortable, the hotel grounds are well maintained and quite pretty, beach and snorkelin is awesome

Don't be put off coming here but be aware that you may want to eat out once or twice to escape the monotony of the food.

Tip: the local shop which sells what you need is a 10-12 min walk. Go right from the main gate. Follow the road as it bends round to the left, it's just pass the new apartments entrance, the shop is called 'Bacchus'

3  Thank H S
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Many Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us. Your review is very factual and raises some very important and good points about the hotel.

We have music playing from the animation box by the recreation stand around the main pool. We try to play a variety of music but maintain that guests can choose to sit as close or far away from this box as they choose depending on the music level they wish to hear.

The sellers around the pool have been spoken to since the last review we received but as you point out they are friendly and polite with all guests and a simple no thank you is all that is needed.

I'm glad you managed to find some good points with the food, we try and offer a selection for everyone and I will pass your comments about the standard onto our executive chef. We also have a food and beverage manager in the hotel if anyone has any problems but agree with your recommendation that guests eat out a few times during their stay as all inclusive does naturally become repetitive after a while. As always I'm on hand to offer any suggestions for nights out for guests.

Once again, thank you for your comments and thank you for the many nice things you had to say about us. We hope to see you again in the future and will hopefully get 5* next time.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I Travelled with Easy jet and only paid £507 for two weeks all inc from the 1st - 15th september. The fact that I never paid that much made my trip not as disappointing as some people who paid a hell of a lot more than me for only 10 days.

When we arrived at around 5:30pm we were met with an English quality manager, She was very friendly as was nice to know that there was an english manager who would be able to actually understand you without telling them over and over what your saying. We were taken to the stairs leading up to our room and told to go to our room and the bell boy who took around 6 guests at the same time carried all our luggage up the stairs to our room as there our no lifts on the outside buildings.

The main bad point about the hotel is the FOOD, it is repeated everyday with the odd exception of swaping something rarely, my boyfriend tried all the food and about 97% of the time he didnt enjoy the food in the end for lunch he settled on just having chips, as for me for 14 days I had chips for lunch and pasta for dinner and even then the pasta was sometimes hard from not being cooked long enough. As most people would agree the only enjoyable meal was breakfast, its not because its more 'british' its because it didnt taste like crap. For breakfast they did poached, fried, boiled or scrammbled eggs, The fried eggs and poached eggs were cooked fresh, they also did, toast, beans, potatoes, crossiants and other pastries, fruit, ceareal and porriage.

We tried the house of curry, we cost us £3.60 for four popadoms they didnt even taste nice. the nan bread was disgusting and tasted like fried bread! the curry didnt taste nice and overall was not worth the money at all even if it was nice to not go to the buffet restuarant, I would suggest that it should be free for the quests for one visit per week of stay but even if it was free I wouldnt suggest someone going there.

The drinks well... the cocktails instead of being made with pure orange juice there made with squash! when we first got there we thought the cocktails would be amazing as the used fake names of cocktails such as 'sex on the beach' was 'a peck on the cheek on the beach' however they tasted disgusting! we tried various cocktails but they all tasted disgusting, the beer was WARM unless you were lucky and got your 250ml glass from a fresh beer bottle, even then most of it was froth as they dont pour the beer correctly my boyfriend then kindly told me that the warm beer tasted like the taste you get after being sick and only bile comes up I couldnt drink it after. The wine tasted horrible. In the end we stuck to fizzy drinks,

The only good points of the hotel was the big pool, there are always sunbeds so no need to get up at 7am, we went to the pool for 10am and there were plenty. However the best place to get sunbeds is on the side of the towel station as the sun goes in around 4pm by the pool bar, and around 5pm the pool was all in shade. They do ice cream during the day from 3 - 5pm which was very yummy esp mango and vanilla :) Theres only one man behind the pool bar except when they do ice cream and it does get very busy they defaintly need more than one man, although the man never complained and after a while new what we were drinking before we ordered it!

As usual some of the guests were rude and did not understand the meaning of a queue mainly russian people.. at dinner you all queue to get a drink of one man and people just walked to the front obvilous of the queue although once me or my boyfriend told them there was a queue they waved their hands to say go infront like they didnt understand what they did wrong.

All the staff were very friendly, the entertainment was okay, good some nights other nights not so good but they always put the effort in, all the staff did long hours but it never showed.

Another bad point of the hotel was you could only book a late checkout at 11am of the day you want if it is available if not normal checkout is 12pm this meant that if you werent allowed a late checkout you wont find out until 11am. We never bothered with asking once we found this out as our pick up was 2:30pm

I felt the hotel was very disappointing the only good thing was the room was nice, the pool and the weather, but the food brought this place down so much we became to hate having dinner or lunch!

I wouldnt ever go back unless they improved the drink and food.

1  Thank Jade1102_x
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2011

Oh Jade! I'm also very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us and wish some of these issues had been brought to our attention during your stay. In answer to some of your feedback.

We don't have lift to the rooms as we only have 3 floors and an open plan concept.

We have recently employed a new food and beverage manager in the hotel and we are always more than happy to assist guests who are struggling with the food. I'm afraid I can't agree with your comments about our Indian restaurant as I have only ever received positive comments and have eaten there myself many times. For future guests reference the Indian is included once per stay for guests of Thomas Cook. Including the Indian is not by choice of the hotel but the agencies who you book with and their agreement with us.

Finally you'll be aware that during your stay we were celebrating the start of the Eid feasts here in Egypt. It's no excuse but the hotel was full during your first week and for this reason we could not guarantee late check out for guests until the day of departure.

I'd like to thank you for your comments and feedback for us and reassure you I will look into all the comment you have made and wish you happy traveling in the future.