“Hotel layout good, staff lovely but poor food and rude russians”
Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #102 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My partner and I spent a week at the end of October at the Tiran Island. Our room was fine with a lovely view of the pool and sea, however the bed was not that comfortable. Ali who cleaned our room was lovely and even took our lilo away to blow it up for us. The staff in the hotel are all friendly and very helpful in particular Mahmoud in the pool bar. The entertainment staff are fun and work extremely hard, especially Jet Li and Sam. Now the bad news, the food is bland, not much variety and unappetising. I came back home with a very bad stomach that lasted a week. The breakfast has put me off eggs for a while, fried, omelette or boiled. If you didnt want eggs then the choices are dry pastries, white bread, bland looking cereal or potates. Fruit juice is a loose term for dried powder mixed with water. Some mornings it was weak others it was too strong - horrible. Lunch was slightly better and Dinner much the same. Not a lot to look forward to. And dont drink the wine in the restaurant, actually I think it was vinegar. The red wine in the lobby bar was nice and we took that up to dinner. We ate in the Curry House twice,situated in the lobby which was not included in the all inclusive but is great value for money and lovely. The beach bar food also not included in the all inclusive was good food but the bar itself is uninviting and had a smelly drain in the middle of the seating area. The staff were great though.
We were 'all inclusive' but its not really 'all inclusive' You could drink beer all day, unfortunately, out of small plastic cups but if you wanted a bottle of water you had to pay for it! Ice cream was only free between 4 and 5pm and was dished out in the plactic cups from the bar/restaurant just up from the pool area, but was never a bar you would want to sit in. Very bad and grubby as was the main restaurant. If you got to breakfast anytime after 9am and wanted to sit outside on the balcony there was never any clean tables and when the tables were cleared, they didnt seem to cleaned down. The doors from balcony to restaurant were dirty especially the handles that everyone was using.
The shisha bar near the ampitheatre was good for an evening drink, good atmosphere but the all inclusive drinks stopped at 11pm and the bar closed shortly afterward. The entertainement staff put on a show each night in the ampitheatre which were really enjoyable.
Unfortunately the hotel was full of russians who were rude, loud and disrespective. One was even seen peeing up an outside wall near the kids club! He was removed and the hotel did seem to deal with them well.
Overall thank you to the all the staff but unfortunately the food lets it down.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a pool or garden view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woody1266
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Dear Guests, Many thanks for your review, I will take your nice feed back and comments to the staff and the animation team whom you mentioned in your review.

With regards to the other issues which you raised, I will discuses it with the concerned departments head to see what could be done to improve it.

However I wish on your next visit to the hotel, you could find an improvements, upon your future bookings, please contact me on either Samer.ghobrial@tiranislandsharm.com OR info@tiranislandsharm.com

Kind Regards,
Samer Ghobrial
Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Tiran Island Hotel

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at the Tiran Island Hotel 14th-21st November 2011 with my mum. We visited as part of an EasyJect holiday. The hotel itself is clean, the pool area is gorgeous and the palm trees surrounding are aesthetically pleasing. The beach is a short walk away from the hotel, there is a Shuttle Bus provided but you could easily walk down. Breakfast was always nice, fresh omelettes, various pastries and fruit were available as well as pancakes! Lunch included chips, pasta, rice, burgers and pizza among other things. Dinner was very similar with the exemption of the pizza, burgers and chips.
The animation team were good, Sam did an amazing fire show, one night we went to the beach party and there was a snake show and a range of dancers- fantastic night as all nationalities (Russia, Ukraine, Italy, England) danced away!
We found the beds very comfortable, we stayed in a Twin room on the ground floor which opened out onto the childrens pool.
Salah, the food and beverage manager was fantastic, a true gentleman and a pleasure to speak to. He would always speak to us and make sure we was happy- so if you have any problems see him!

I really enjoyed the holiday and would definitely return! x

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I (mid-twenties) have just returned from a ten day break at the Tiran Island Hotel. Overall, it was nice to get away and chill out, and the weather was pretty much perfect for our entire holiday, between 25 and 30 degrees each day.

The Tiran Island Hotel is a huge resort spread out over a large area, with better management, could be really good, but its let down by a number of issues. The large number of Russian and Ukrainian guests also spoil the hotel, but I'll come onto this later.

FOOD - The worst part of staying here. By the end of the holiday, I wanted to leave, just so that I could have a decent meal. However, the food is not the only problem, but the 'Let's Eat Restaurant'. It is horrible. It's more like a canteen than a restaurant. Tables are left littered with dirty plates for up to half an hour before being tidied away by staff, and stained and dirty table clothes are not changed between guests, so you can end up sitting down at a table which is filthy. A lot of the time you had to get up and get your own cutlery as well as this wasn't put down on the table for you. The queue for drinks was horrendous as well, with just one person serving, there was often ten-fifteen people waiting to be served.

However, after about 6 nights, we sat at the back of the restaurant, in an area which was the responsibility of a waiter called Essam. Essam was fantastic, as we looked around, most of the other areas of the restaurant had tables piled with dirty plates, with the staff there wandering around at a snail's pace, however, the area where Essam worked was always clean and tidy, he worked so hard and never seemed to stop. After the first night of sitting in an area where Essam worked, we thanked him, and after that, whenever he saw us coming he would beckon us over, clear a table for us, put cutlery down for us, and even offered to fetch us drinks. I said I would queue, but he refused and said he would get our drinks for us. Whenever our drink needed topping us as well, he would bring us a fresh drink over. We tipped Essam at the end of our holiday, and he wouldn't take it at first, but I insisted. With more staff like him in the restaurant, and less that seemed like they're doing you a favour by working there, it would be much better place to eat.

The food itself was very repetitive, with some things, such as roast chicken, on the menu every single day, for lunch and dinner. When I'm abroad, I like to try different types of local food, but for the ten days we were at the hotel, there was only one night where Egyptian food was laid on. Everyone we spoke to said this was the best night's dinner by far. The rest of the time, it was things like mashed potato, beef in sauce, and roasted vegetables. There was always pasta and rice at every meal. Lunch was the best meal with burgers and hot dogs sometimes on, as well as falafel type patties which were nice.

BARS - There are two bars, the Lobby Bar, which was the 'English' bar as all the English guests gathered there, and the Piazza Cafe, which was the 'Russian Bar'. The Lobby Bar was fine, but I much preferred the Piazza Cafe, as it was set out like a traditional Egyptian cafe, with low seats and shishas were available for 15LE. However, the bar was taken over every night by drunk Russians, who would shout at the bar staff, push in at the queue, and drunkenly shout and sing Russian songs. The television in the bar was always on a Russian Music Channel as well, and was turned up full blast. We sat in here a few times and had a shisha, but would have Russians come over and stand next to our table as if to ask why we dared sit in 'their bar'. Drinks were fine, and one barman in particular was brilliant, little Michael, always friendly and would stand and talk to you at the bar. Youssef at the Lobby Bar always ensured your glass was full as well, and Amr always made us laugh with his English sayings. The way they are treated by the Russians is disgusting, and I felt sorry for them as they had 'VODKA, MORE MORE' amongst other things shouted at them, never a please or thank you.

POOL - The main pool area is huge, and there are plenty of sunbeds around. However, we found it to be a bit packed in, so spent most of our time by the kids pool, which was lovely, always really peaceful, and you didn't have to move around to chase the sun all day as they was no shade there apart from the umbrellas. The pool was pretty cold, but once you were in and swimming around was okay. The worst thing about the pool area was the music, it was so loud, and even when I had my iPod on full blast, I could still hear it.

BEACH - There is a free shuttle bus to the beach which leaves every fifteen minutes, but we usually walked down, which only took 5-10 minutes, and was a nice walk. The hotel's section of the beach was small and very crowded, but if you turn left on the promenade and walk along past the Melia hotels, the Baron and the Sensatori, there is a small area of public beach which was always usually empty apart from one or two other people, and was really nice. You could wade in and swim in the sea here as well, as the coral didn't start until further out. It's about a 15-20 minute walk, but a nice walk, and well worth it.

STAFF - On the whole, the staff at the hotel were great, especially Essam, little Michael, Youssef and Amr. Mahmoud at the pool bar was always friendly and helpful as well. However, we had two experiences with the staff while we were there. The first was at the Lobby Bar, my wife and I were sitting at the bar on the stools, and I went to the toilet. When I returned, she told me that someone had just walked past her, put their hand on her bum and then stroked along her leg to her knee. I asked who it was and she pointed out someone who worked as a waiter in the Indian Restaurant, and who kept coming to the Lobby Bar for drinks to take back into the restaurant. Little Michael knew something was wrong, and so spoke to him, and a few moments later he came over and apologised, but said it was an accident and that he just must have brushed her leg as he walked past. My wife says there is no way it was an accident though and he avoided us whenever he saw us for the rest of the holiday.

The other experience was with the room cleaner. He did clean the room very well, and was always friendly, but after a few nights said to me in the corridor during the day that today was his last day before he returned to Cairo for a break. That evening, I was in the shower, and he knocked on the door, which my wife answered. He demanded to come in and speak to me, and my wife says she had to literally block him from coming in. He asked how long I'd be and when she replied about half an hour, he said he'd come back then. He then came back about ten minutes later, and when she said I was still in the shower, he just stood outside our room (she could see him through the peep hole) and kept knocking every few minutes. In the end, I said just to give him a tip, as this is what he wanted, and once she had done that he went. I didn't mind tipping him, as he did a good job, but it was out of order the way he behaved. We have visited Egypt a number of times between us, and we have never experienced behaviour like either of the above before.

On the whole, the hotel is a really nice building, the grounds are laid out well, it is kept relatively clean, and the rooms are really nice. However, it is spoilt by the way the Russians behave, and poor management. There was only ever one barman on at a time at the bars, so you would often have to queue for drinks, and the restaurant always seemed short staffed also. There was also always a member of staff on at each bar who was a 'cashier' for people who had to pay for things, which was strange as everyone seemed to be all-inclusive. When the barman was running around trying to serve people quickly as there would be a huge queue, this person just stood there doing nothing for hours on end which was strange.

The hotel would also benefit from having more bars and restaurants open; there is a restaurant at the pool bar, which would serve chips and ice creams in the late afternoon, and the bar at the beach also served pizza during the day. However, it would have been good if these could have stayed open all day, for a bit of a break from the Let's Eat Restaurant. The beach bar in particular, would have been really nice to have had a drink at in the evenings. There was also another bar at the far end of hotel next to the amphitheatre which just sat empty; no chairs or tables or anything, and again, this looked like it would have been a nice place to have a drink.

Overall, the hotel has a good base, but unfortunately due to the above issues, we wouldn't return.

1  Thank IanS82
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Visited as part of an EasyJet holiday. Tiran Island hotel is very nice, clean and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The hotel itself is out the way of everything and you'll need to get a taxi or a transfer to any of the attractions at Sharm. However the beach is only a ten minute walk away.

What really let the hotel down was the food. Lunch and evening meals were a constant dissapointment (for example soup tasting like water, chile con carne was sludge and the choice varied little from day to day) and they often ran out. Cutlery also seemed to be a problem and we had to regularly go hunting for clean forks and knives on other tables (or have ours pinched if we left the table.) Breakfast was ok and they made fresh omelettes whilst you waited.

All inclusive drinks were local beer (which was good) and local spirits (tried the gin and rum and very quickly gave up) Cocktails are made from squash.

When we visited the majority of guests were Russian some of whom were very rude and obnoxious - particularly at meal times.

The hotel has a nice pool and lots of sun-loungers. Again this was spoiled slightly by being pestered every ten minutes with "Hi, where are you from, what's your name, want to buy a massage / hennai tattoo / newspaper..." The hotel also tended to play very loud music at the pool side, somewhat spoiling the relaxing atmposphere.

There's a taxi booking service in the hotel who charged us 200 Egyptian poinds for a taxi to the airport. Hailing a taxi for ourselves just outside the hotel gates we got the same journey for 70 Egyptian pounds.

1  Thank Bilbodotcom

Dear Guest, Thanks for your review and feed back as it help us to improve our services, We are glad with the positive things that you have wrote and will pass it to the hotel staff.

With regards to the negative points which you raised, please note that we implemented a menu of Thomas Cook travel agent to match with the UK guests taste, how ever if you wished to have something different, our chefs would have been delighted to prepare it for you if you could have asked for it.

We already had a meeting with the massage and henna owners and instructed them not to go together to the pool to sell their products so our guests can enjoy them selves around the pool and relax.

With regards to the Limo company located in the hotel, please note that it is a private AC limo car with a private driver , and the hotel can trace them in case any thing happen, while most of the local Taxi's has no AC and the hotel has no control what so ever on them.

Kind Regards,
Samer Ghobrial
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 21 November 2011

me and my partner went to the tiran island hotel from the 10th-20th november.

on arrival we checked in with reception and shown to our room by the bell boy who carried our bags up 2 flights of stairs. the room was very large and spacious with a lovely view of the childrens pool and sea. we did ask for a queen bed prior to arriving at the hotel and we were given 2 singles but after asking someone came to the room and pushed them together to make a huge bed which was fine. the tv was broken and it took my partner 3 days of asking to get someone to come fix it. the bathroom was large also but sometimes the water would just run off and not come back on for hours so it was sometimes difficult to get a shower.

FOOD: the dining area was large but the selection of food was very poor. every evening there was a soup (if u can call it that) which was mainly chopped up veg in water called minestrone!
there was a salad bar which i never had myself as i was worried that it was washed in the tap water (later to find out tap water is never used in the cooking or the ice!) the next section of the food would usually consist of rice, potatoes, fish, chicken, veg, and veg in a cheese sauce. there was a live cooking area which did pasta and grilled food.
breakfast was for me the best meal of the day, lots of pastries to choose from and a live egg cooking area where you could get fried eggs and omlettes. the other choice for breakfast was tomatos, beans, potatoes, scrambled eggs and pancakes.

STAFF
the staff in the hotel were excellent, they would go out of their way to do anything for you. salah- the food and beverage manager was very happy to arrange for pizza and chips to be specially made for us when we told him we were not happy with the food. we were going to buy some snorkells for the week and he said we could borrow his for a few days instead of buying them.
omar- waiter, very friendly. came to my room to bring me a birthday cake and always happy.
mahmood- pool barman, sam and jet lee, animation team
the staff at recpetion not very helpful as when i wanted to exchange some money he only had us dollars not egyptian pounds.

POOL
the pool is excellent very large but it was freezing while we were there! the weather was 30 degrees but the pool was sooooo cold! it took your breath away.

BEACH
we never spent a day on the beach as we preffered the pool but we did get the shuttle bus down 3 times on the holiday to go snorkelling which was absolutly amazing!

TAXIS
we were told to get a taxi from the hotel if we wanted to go to naama bay or soho square for 100le to naama and 50 to soho but after talking to another guest at the hotel we were told that we could get a local government taxi for half the price, as long as it was blue and white we would be ok! so we used taxis 4 times over the holiday. make sure you agree a price before you get in though, haggle with them and if they dont say the price u want then walk away and within seconds they will agree! we paid 30le to soho square and 50 to naama bay.

SOHO SQUARE
lovely about 5 mins away from hotel in taxi. no hassle there as they are not allowed to. lovely places to eat. we ate at zen chinese and it was amazing! not too expensive either. there is an english bar called the queen vic also.

NAAMA BAY
lots of hassle, lots of shisha bars and shops, we ate at TGIS and it was lovely also, staff very efficient and cheaper than TGIs at home.

RUSSIANS!!
the hotel had about 20% english people who were all lovely but most of the hotel were russians polish and ukraines. they are very rude and ignorant. they eat all the food and push in the ques even the staff dont like the russians!

i would definatly go back to sharm but not to this hotel as the food and amount of russians was a let down.

2  Thank charlottemiddleton
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Charlotte,

I recently joined the family here at Tiran Island Hotel as the new Quality & Guest Relations Manager.
I have read your comments on Trip Advisor & your comments regarding the food in the restaurant has been addressed.
We do have a great deal of Russian guests who visit Sharm El Sheikh, as i am sure you will agree there is very little we can do about this.
We would love to have you back here at Tiran Island again, so this time we cab get it right.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
mhairi.landsborough@tiranislandsharm.com

Kinest Regards
Mhairi
Quality & Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed 19 November 2011

First time in Egypt had a lovely holiday. the hotel was very nice and clean. pool was very nice and large but the entertainment staff wouldn't take no for an answer. i had to complain to the manager when sam wouldn't accept no to buying beach party tickets and getting annoyed with my refusal said 'can i kill you!' extremely irritating when you're just trying to relax. which is the same for the massage centre workers and excursion sellers. the shops on site also hassle you to come in which made going down to the ampitheatre daunting. in the end we used the sister hotels shop which was cheaper and much friendlier. food was ok but repetitive and a slow service on the grill which wasn't helped by russian guest pushing in. the catering staff were very nice and friendly and didn't hesitate to help you. on speaking to salah the catering manager, who was brilliant and took his time to get to know you, he arranged for us to have pizza made for a change which was lovely. our experience with the bar staff was very good especially mohammed from the beach bar and chico who were the nicest people you could meet. another couple we met though were rudely told in the piazza cafe when ordering a drink 'don't laugh' when seeing the cocktail the bar man was making looked disgusting and that 'the english bar is inside this is for the russians' which led us to believe there was segregation within the hotel. the housekeeper we had (mohumed) was brilliant took his time to leave little touches in the room like hearts made from towels and a crocodile which was fantastic. the rooms were nice and spacious. on our last night though returning to our room late i sat on the bed to take my shoes off when the bed collapsed!(the beds were rickerty) a maintenance man came to our room and we thought a temporary bed would have been brought in, instead he proceeded to fix the bed hammering atleast two dozen nails into it for around 45minutes at 12:30am! we felt sorry for our neighbours. we also experienced problems with getting change from reception when paying with a bigger bill. we found the gentlemen who arranged the cabs in the lobby over charged considerably so we would advice getting a blue and white cab (NOT unmarked so could taxis) from the front gate where usually atleast one is waiting and arranging a price with them. for a 4star hotel we found only having 1 all inclusive restaurant disappointing and snacks were scarce. the beach was lovely and snorkeling was a great experience. we would definately return to sharm el sheihk but would opt for a higher star hotel to save all the hassle which we had during the days by the pool when constant hassle isn't wanted. although we had negative experiences we didn't let it spoil our holiday and a big thank you to chico, salah, mohammed and housekeeper mohumed and other bar and catering staff who made up for it.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

just back from an 11 day stay at tiran island and prior to going i read all the reviews on here and as some where bad and some good i figured ah well a holiday is what you make it,so here is my honest opinion of tiran island.
1. food,no better and no worse than any other all inclusive i have stayed very repetitive pasta every day though the salads are very nice with fresh produce.
2.cleanliness,rooms not cleaned to a very high standard though i think that may just have been my cleaner as others i spoke to said there rooms was spotless.overall the hotel is very clean and tidy.
3.staff,well apart from the gruff attitude of the guys behind reception the staff at tiran island are greatanimation team do a great job and hany the head barman in the main bar big thanks to him never had to ask for a drink with him because as soon as glass was nearly empty it was full again.some of the bar staff get stressed but that is mainly because of the rudeness and arrogance of the russians with us brits they are fine and enjoy a chat and a laugh.
4.the beach,very nice beach with staff on hand all day to help out,you can get the shuttle bus down and back but since it is only a 5 min walk down a really nice palm treelined road why bother waiting for it .
so overall we had a great time there got a bit sick of the food by end of first week but kfc and mcdonalds will deliver to the hotel (numbers from reception).last thing to mention is the russian guests they have staying there,very rude ,very arrogant and seem to think they can just push to the front of queues when ever they like stand your ground and tell to get them stuffed ,ok they look at you like u a piece of dirt and waffle away in russian but they get the message.so ignore all the negative comments and the rave review comments and go with an open mind you will enjoy it

1  Thank mark b