“Excellent service and value for money”
Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #104 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My husband has already written a review on here but I wanted to add one too especially to praise the staff of this hotel particularly Ahmed in the restaurant and Mohammed in the pool bar. Both of these guys gave great personal service and were always incredibly polite and cheerful.
We stayed in room 1242 with a sea view. We had fresh towels beautifully designed on our bed every day and on Valentines Day pink petals. The only thing wrong was the lock on the back door was not very good. I made sure it was locked but this was difficult to do and the cleaner never locked it properly (it had a technique and could do with a fresh new lock fitted). Occasionally the water supply pressure wasn't very good but maybe that was at busy periods.
The food was good. Neither myself or husband were ill, a big plus in Egypt!! People have to remember this is Egypt not England! There was plenty to choose from and always something that could be cooked up fresh. Bread is lovely and you can get a decent cup of tea too!
Plentiful supply of alcohol with excellent personal service from Mohammed who ensured we were topped up all day and evening, we didn't even have to leave our sun loungers!
Would be nice if wifi were free or a bit cheaper but you can go to Soho square and get free wifi if your desperate!
Take £2 coins and £5 notes to tip the waiters, bar men and cleaners they will be very grateful and this ensures you a great personal service.
The guys in the hotel shops are lovely too. Of course they want you to buy something but the prices are very reasonable certainly not rip off and if you need advice on what or where to buy something they are very helpful. "Antonio" (his shop sells beach stuff and clothes) is lovely and loves to talk about England and share a cup of tea. "Marco" too has some lovely papyrus paintings, well worth the money if you think of what you could buy similar at home (I've never seen anything in the UK like his stuff).
On the whole this hotel is great value. It's a bit tired in places but it's clean and the staff are very helpful. If there is something you don't like just let them know and they will do their utmost to sort it for you.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MrsDCx
Coralie C, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for posting a review of the hotel. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff increased your enjoyment of the holiday. I will be sure to pass on your kind words about Ahmed and Mohammed.
I will ask our Engineering department to go and check the lock in the room and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Thank you for your feedback about the wifi charges and it is certainly something that we monitor carefully.
Once again, we very much appreciate your lovely review and we would love to welcome you back for your next holiday.
Asst. Quality & Guest Relation Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here with my sister last January, after a "traumatic" bus transfer from the airport (my suitcase fell off the roof of the bus and was ran over by another bus destroying my case and a few items in it) we arrived at the hotel where the bus driver went straight to the market and bought me a new suitcase :) the staff were very helpful and apologetic, our room was situated at the other end of the complex overlooking the garden and was very clean, the animal shaped towels were a delight everyday, water pressure in the bath and shower were poor but you can expect that with hundreds of other people using the water at the same time!! The food was good and the manager of the restaurant couldnt do enough for us which made us feel very welcome, the russians will push and shout but we have elbows too and a dig to the ribs soon tells them your there too!!! we got on well with the market traders and often sat and had cups of tea with them, will definately return some day :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank xxlkbxx

Dear guest,

We were delighted to read your kind positive comments following your stay with us.
It was great to know that you enjoyed your holiday and we very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon.
Thank you for choosing Tiran Island Hotel for your stay in Sharm and please contact me on Coralie.Crick@TiranIslandHotelSharm.com if you have any special requests for your next visit.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We returned from this hotel last night. Before we went I read the reviews and wasn't looking forward to going but I can address some of the points that worried me. These are based on the last weeks experiences.
Hotel Quality:
This hotel is Egyptian four star people seem to think this is the same as in the UK, we found it to be of good quality. Some places look tired but are clean. The room was clean and attended to every day.
We paid less all inclusive than we would pay for a room at a large chain room only.
Russian Tourists:
Sharm attracts many Russians, the points raised in previous reviews about them don't just happen at this hotel. We found the same problems at the airport, shops and the beach.
Food & Drink:
The food here is locally produced Egyptian sourced. You will not get English quality or food selection but you will find something at each mealtime that you can eat, we found early attendance better for less queues and people barging in.
Staff :
The staff make this hotel, they make you feel like you are their favourite guest. Great service from all the hotel staff from reception, barmen, cleaners through to waiters. We tipped our favourite ones on our last day which went down well.

Coralie in guest relations is another asset of this hotel. I would not want to do her job after reading the previous reviews.

As for going back here, too right I would and have already been looking this morning for a week in November.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RainbowDarren

Dear Darren,

Thank you so much for your fair and balanced review of the hotel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and feel that your holiday was good value.
It is great to see that you received good service from all in the staff in the hotel. We work very hard to ensure that all our staff are working hard but more importantly that all our guests are receiving a good service with a smile.
Please let me know before your next visit of any special requests on Coralie.Crick@TiranIslandHotelSharm.com and we will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We arrived on Sat 25/1/14 a party of 4 from Gatwick followed by 2 more from Luton. We were given rooms close to each other as requested and they were all good, clean and everything seemed in working order until day 2 when 1 sink blocked it was sorted immediately very reassuring then in week 2 the hairdryer broken in another room this was replaced as unrepairable again excellent service.The rooms were cleaned daily to a very good standard, the towels were laundered daily and the beds changed about every 3 days always nice to get into bed in clean sheets.

During our stay 1 of our party was taken ill, the hotel helped her with contacting the doctor/dentist they also assisted her in contacting her insurance company to make sure all was covered, they then organised a soft diet as she couldn't eat very much, this was very much appreciated and they went the extra mile as far as we were all concerned, even when she felt better and was able to eat from the normal menu they still asked if she was ok and needed anything further, it was really nice that all the staff took the time to care "A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL".

We've read some of the other reviews on here and have to disagree with most of the food comments, we were there for 2 weeks and have all gained weight as we ate in the dinning room morning & evening daily and the odd lunch time we never had a problem finding something to eat and have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed all our meals and the bread was a demon in disguise coz we ate far too much daily as it was so lovely and fresh. So unless you eat smoked salmon for breakfast and caviar & filet steak for tea daily then you will enjoy the food as much as we all did.

I have to mention Hesham the bar boy at the beach bar, what a lovely young man who was always pleasant and polite and very welcoming both on the beach and in the dinning room if we could vote for employee of the month it would either be him or our lovely waiter in the dinning room Ahmed who was always the same pleasant and polite to us all thank you for making our holiday so very enjoyable yet again as the 4 from Gatwick were on their 2nd stay.

Darren & Suzanne, Tony & Marion, Jeff & Teresa, thank you xx

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Superblue1
Coralie C, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Darren & Suzanne, Tony & Marion, Jeff & Teresa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your kind positive review following your recent stay here with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your second time with us again and that we were of help to you. I will pass on your lovely comments to Hesham and Ahmed and they will be very happy to receive your kind recognition.

I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again sometime soon and once again we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Please contact me on Coralie.Crick@Tiran IslandHotelSharm.com if you return and we will be delighted to welcome you back.

Asst Quality & Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel we changed rooms 4 times during our stay, this was for a number of reasons including hygiene and the locks not working on the doors and also because we did not get the room view we paid for. On our second room change we walked into the room and there was urine all over the toilet seat and the back door didn't lock. We originally had to change rooms after a porter walked into our room the middle of the night and ran off before we knew who it was (we later found out he entered the wrong room by mistake). When my girlfriend tried to lock the front door it would not lock......Not forgetting the Russian domestic next door. We told staff about a screaming female next door and we advised security to call the police and they said I quote "it's Russian culture." The third change was because we wanted a garden view room which we paid for, this also had a light hanging out if the ceiling by the wires over the shower. Also the toilet brush had no handle and the bathroom bin had no lid.The 4th room was the room we stayed in and that was not great, for example the toilet stopped working as did the shower and the hair dryer cut out and was held together by some kind of mastic. However we could not be bothered to move rooms again. The only reason we did not change hotels was because of the price we had to pay and because the alternatives were unheard of hotels and the ones that people had heard received bad reviews.
The headboard fell off in the middle of the night on our 1st room.
On three different occasions my girlfriend found hair in her food and beer.
Staff at the beauty parlour went through our bags whilst we were having a massage.
One one occasion my girlfriend found a stone in her food and when we approached the duty manager about it he ate the stone saying it was a piece of hard rice!!!
The entertainment was all Russian based and nothing to do there what so ever.
The beer was dreadful and the food was the same and utterly awful.
There was also a fire in the complex whilst we were there.
The music was Classic Christmas music and the Hotel manager refused to come out and see us about these issues. Instead we had to see the food manager who went on holiday half way through our holiday. There was plenty of salad for breakfast.
All of the above is true please please please save yourself from this place.
The only good thing about this place was Mohammed from the bar by the pool and Ahmed the waiter upstairs.

I have put a compliant into Thomas Cook and will hopefully get a full refund.

We ate out as much as our funds ours let us.

The complex shops were also way over priced.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Coralie C, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review of the hotel. I would like to express my profound disappointment that you remained unsatisfied with your stay with us despite the efforts we went to to try to please you. When you first contacted me to request a change of hotels I asked if there was anything we could do to resolve any issues you had. You told me you had a problem with your headboard and it was fixed immediately. You also said you didn't like the food on offer in the main restaurant so we met with your rep and the Food & Beverage Director to discuss your food issues and how to resolve them. We offered to give you special food in the restaurant if you could not find anything that you wanted to eat. When a member of the housekeeping team opened your door mistakenly we explained that the houseman was checking an early departure room and opened the wrong door. You said you were happy with the explanation and did not want him to get into any trouble but felt that you wanted to change rooms to be on the safe side as you said your deadbolt was not working. Myself and the Chief Engineer checked the deadbolt and it was working correctly. When you said you thought that the spa staff looked in your bag while you were having a treatment myself and the Spa Manager met with you and he assured you that your bag was in the spa safe all the time during the treatment. Myself and the Food & Beverage Director spoke to you at lunch on the 28th january and you said you were happy with the way the hotel resolved your problems and you would stay at the hotel. When you were disturbed by a small altercation in another room we moved you immediately to another room and when you were unhappy with this room we upgraded you to a sea view room free of charge You mention that you found hair and a stone and grass in your food and we apologised for this but you said that your girlfriend is famous for finding things in food. On your last evening, we made you a special anniversary cake and you thanked and kissed the Executive Chef and said the food had improved a lot. I feel it is important to put forward the point of view of the hotel as we very much want our guests to enjoy their stay with us and we are very happy to listen to any comments, complaints or suggestions for improvement.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

There are many things that people want to make a good holiday. A clean room, good food, ect.
I went to Tiran Island for two things: to relax and be in a sunny environment. I had no desire to go out and about to see things etc, but did do the Tiran Island Boat Trip with snorkelling. It was beautiful but cold!
The hotel was for me brilliantly located as I did not need to be near the hub bub of entertainment. The animation team was brilliant at entertaining as it was! Diana sat and talked with me my first night at the hotel and told me all about the things on offer from the animation team. During the course of my stay, Diana, Ricky and the team were a real laugh and always strove to include me without putting pressure on me to participate. Happy, helpful, always smiling faces are what make an amazing animation team. Well done guys!
I could not once fault my room. It was cleaned to perfection and Ahmed was always checking to make sure I had everything I needed. I loved his towel characters which always made me smile upon returning to my room. Thank you Ahmed for looking after my room so nicely! (As for someones comment about the water not being there, I found that if I took my shower when the rest of the hotel guests weren't, I had plenty of water!)
As for the food, I'm a picky eater, so to me the food was fine. I made friends with Ahmed Alem the Italian food chef and he made my pasta each time I went to the counter. He knew I liked a bit of chilli in my food so was always prepared with a chilli standing by waiting to be used in my dish! He was always smiling and we had a great week talking and chatting about lots of different things. He's increased my Arabic too! Thank you Ahmed for keeping me fed!
The recreation team outside were brilliant....they were always laughing and carrying on with the guests making sure all was well with all of us. It's nice to be reading, enjoying the sunshine and one of the guys would come by and just say 'Hey Rach! Everything okay?' It was nice to be a name and face instead of just a face in the crowd. Thanks Ahmed, Ahmed and Waleed!!
Mohamed at the pool bar also knew what I liked to drink and even surprised me a couple of days by appearing with a drink for me if I hadn't been up to get one for myself! Cheers Mohamed!
Hossam and Hussein were fabulous too. Any messages were delivered to my room in the quickest fashion and every time...every time I walked through the lobby to go to the restaurant or to the pool, the guys would always ask if everything was okay and if I needed anything to just let them know.
The service for me was first rate. I really really appreciated all the staff being warm and friendly.
Thanks to Hassan in the lobby bar as well. It's great that he knew what I wanted everytime!
Thanks Tiran Island...I will return!
Yankee Rach
P.S. I only put average for breakfast as I don't eat breakfast and only had toast. I think if I did eat breakfast, I would have given it a better rating but I feel it doesn't apply to me.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rach M
Coralie C, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Rach,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the hotel. We are so happy that you had a relaxing holiday and it is very kind of you to recognise all the hard work the whole team put in to make sure you have an enjoyable stay with us. All the staff you mention by name will be very happy to hear your kind words and they will be very pleased to hear you plan to return to visit us. We look forward to welcoming you back and when you return please let me know on Coralie.Crick@TiranIslandHotelSharm.com and send me any special requests.

With best regards

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Four of us went to this hotel 20th Jan to the 30th.from the reviews we were expecting the worse.However it is a beautiful hotel and our rooms were very clean,the towel art was very good.the beach lovley just down the road to walk about 5 min,they had transport for the none walkers.the extra resturants indian and italian which were extra we didnt use and that was because they were always empty which was a shame.If anything that needed changing for us was the alcohol it was all wartered down.We spoke to Hanny the bar manager and we did have better red wine.But a big thanks to all the staff Sammy,big Mo at the lounge bar were brill.the holiday for what we payed was good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your holiday with us. We are very happy you had an excellent holiday and hope you will return very soon to visit us. We do encourage guests to speak to us about any issues they face so I am glad that Hany helped you regarding the wine. Thank you for your nice comments regarding the housekeeping staff and the bar staff. Please let me know if you plan to return and if you have any special requests by contacting me on Coralie.Crick@TiranIslandHotelSharm.com.