“Nice weather shame about the hotel”
Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #102 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Having just spent 2 weeks at the Tiran Island Hotel- ( 7th to 21st August 2010) I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The All Inclusive package was poor. The food was very poor and the drinks not much better. The soft drinks such as coke and sprite all came from bottles that were not chilled, Beer was served from bottles and not from the draft taps on display and was constantly warm. In fact down at the beach bar the drinks were hot. As for the so called local alcoholic drinks the content was zero and the local wine watered down. Staff at the various bars seemed uninterested in serving you, rarely smiled and were more interested in chatting to one another. The food was of poor quality for the duration of our holiday and consisted of either chicken or beef which was reconstituted daily and both my wife and I are only just getting over the bad stomach we had for the duration of our stay. If the chef spent more time ensuring that the food was to an acceptable standard instead of carving flowers into the side of water melons for decoration things might improve. The deserts were the same everyday with what look like frozen cakes from Iceland. The general standard of hygiene in the restaurant was extremely poor with a build up of discarded food evident on the floor and in the corners and therefore the inevitable plague of flies. The queue for drinks was ridiculous with only one person available to serve. The pancakes on offer at breakfast time were constantly empty and the continual requests for more to be bought out had little effect. Around the pool we were continually harrassed by the staff from the Gym/Massage/Spa to the extent that you had to be rude to get them to leave you alone. The music played was excessively loud and repetetive with the same CD played for the duration of our 2 weeks there. In fact unless you were some 30metres away you could not have a conversation and the so called entertainment was well below par and in the evenings held outside in temperatures in the high 30's well away from any bars. In fact the music in the hotel bar played "God rest ye merry gentlemen" daily and in the restaurant you had "Welcome to the Hotel California" everyday. Well at least that was right. You can check out any time you want but you can never leave!! Not unless you were never less than 25metres from a toilet!!
The hotel itself is in the middle of nowhere with one supermarket some 15-20 minutes walk away and the nearest shopping/eating centre is Soho. The beach is a very short free bus ride away but as I said earlier the drinks at the bar are not refrigerated and therefore unpleasant. We found it best to go down and have a swim and then return to the pool. Having seen that this hotel was supposed to only have opened last year it was disappointing to find that the standards were so poor. In fact the only 3 good meals we had were ones we paid for. 1 in the hotels Indian restaurant and 2 outside of the hotel.
Would I recommend this hotel to anyone. No. Steer well clear. This is a very poor hotel not worthy of a 1star let alone 3/4.

1  Thank kevanddeb15
There are newer reviews for Tiran Island Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2010

I have just returned from Tiran Island Hotel last Sunday, and what a fantastic place and great staff. I dont know where some of these people were staying that have complained but they shouldn't be allowed abroad!! The hotel never ran out of beer and if you want your food hotter there were microwaves.
The only problem my partner and I had was moany Brits, either about the food or the heat, hello numpties your in a foreign country and its the hottest month of the year!!! If you want mushy peas, chips and fish go to Blackpool or Skegness!!! And stay in UK for your gorgeous weather and "civilised" culture.
The hotel is a bit isolated but taxi's are cheap and buses run regular not a bank breaker!! Alot of all inclusive hotels are isolated to keep you in complex do your research before you go.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday and would definitely go back, but beware of the MOANING Brits and its not the germans grabbing sunbeds either!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank sandean
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Location of the Hotel is poor, you have to get taxi's if you want to go where there is a bit of life, the hotels entertainment is very poor.
Some members of staff could do with a lesson in manners, especially one of the reception guys and the beach bar staff.
We arrived back at the hotel late one night about 11pm after a trip to Cairo and were hungry so we called room service and ordered burger and chips they said it would take approx 30mins
after waiting 45mins my wife rang back and asked politely how much longer it was going to be and had the phone put down on her, five mins later the meal arrived stone cold and inedible. The following morning we asked to speak to the manager who of course was unavailable so we spoke to the under manager who seemed indifferent and didn't really want to do anything about it which proved correct because we still had to pay for the meal when we checked out.
The food although plentiful was never hot.
Another annoying thing was the hotel kept running out of beer and we were all inclusive.
All in all not a brilliant experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Tiran_Island_Hotel, General Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2010

Dear Guest,
We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay.

We do have to cater for a wide variety of international guests and we know that our British guests like their food very hot, therefore we provide in addition 2 microwaves in the main restaurant.

We apologize for the mistake happened with our room service but please check again your bill as we did not charge you for the the meal.

If you would like to give us any further feedback please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Hotel Management

Reviewed 24 August 2010

Stayed here july 2010. Hotel , rooms and staff were nice but location and food was awful.
I could eat anything and have never been a fussy eater , After a few days I only ate fruit and bread because meals were so bad.
Hotel is about 12km from Naama Bay .
Nearest place to eat out would be SoHo Square, a 10min taxi ride away but restaurants have a dress code for men, which is No SHORTS or FLIP FLOPS

1  Thank yyyy-10
Reviewed 21 August 2010

My friend and i stayed at this hotel back in May and whilst looking for another holiday on trip advisor i thought id be nosey and have a look back at this. It astonishes me at some of the bad reviews people put on here, for example - "my tv didnt work properly, no english channels (which they do) but in any case that's not a reason to rate the overall experience of a hotel as 'rubbish'; 'it was not a 5 star like London' - it's in frigin Sharm in Egypt and you likely got your deal of teletext so stop complaining.

My friend and i got a great deal for this hotel and were expecting the worst - when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and cool, with ours looking out over the pool. The pool was clean, with great staff who were always happy to help out - for example, sometimes when we went down we couldnt get sunbeds together. We just asked the guys and they spent a few minutes finding us a space - no issue, no squabbles and plenty of smiles.

The food was, fresh, hot and plenty of it was tasty - perhaps repetitive but i've yet to travel to a hotel anywhere in the world, where it's not repetitive - what if it had a full a la carte menu for you to choose from - that would be repetitive after 5 days.

It's not in Sharm center so if you want a hotel in the center dont stay here. You can get a shuttle bus, which yes you have to pay for - why wouldnt you? It's was pittance. instead it's out on it's own with a great little snorkelling pier.

Overall, we found this place spotless, fun, great pool, modern and good staff (oh and there are plently of places to get water). Perfect for a chilled out week, reading trashy books, listening to music, drinking beer, snorkelling, swimming and soaking up the rays.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank LondonGuy1979
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I've been a guest at the TIRAN ISLAND HOTEL 3 times since may 2010 and I have to say, this visit has been the worst.

I fell in love with Egypt and the hotel on my first vist. I loved both the country and where I stayed so much, that just 4 days after returning from Egypt I had booked another holiday for 21 days but ended up extending my stay and was in Egypt for a month.

Upon arrival at the hotel I was informed by reception that there had been a power cut in the day and that when the electricity came back on, none of the fridges in the hotel rooms were working. I was told the problem was being dealt with and left it at that, but I arrived home yesterday and I can assure you that NOTHING was done at all.

I ended up having to make sure I had a plastic bag on me every night when I came back to the hotel so I could ask for ice. I placed drinks I bought from the super market in the bathroom sink and tipped the bag of ice in the sink to keep my drinks cool.

There were times during my 2wks stay that the bar didn't even have ice. It was ridiculous. I would have to go upstairs to the restuarant and ask for ice and even when it was given to me, it was done as if I was asking for the moon on a stick.

Power cuts seemed to keep happening and even the water went off. Luckily it happened an hr after my shower, but for anyone who was in the shower, washing their hair or about to shower, I felt sorry for them.

There's a lack of communication that goes on with staff too. They just don't bother to clear things up with each other.

I booked my hotel independantly as Thomas cook couldn't get me on a flight so I had to book everything separate.

I reserved my booking online using a credit card which of course was accepted.

When I tried to pay for my room when I arrived I was told it was fine as staff at the hotel know me well and trusted me, but just 3days later I was HOUNDED by staff to pay a deposit for the room.

I tried to pay over the phone to reception but was told I had to go and make the payment in person.

When I went to do this, there was a problem with the machine.

I had planned to go to the public beach in Naama bay and was leaving all my personal belongings in my room safe and wouldn't have my credit card with me. I told reception this and was reassured it was fine and told to enjoy my time at the beach.

When I got back to the hotel some hrs later, I didn't even have time to take off my sandles and sit down when my phone in the hotel room started ringing. it was reception ringing to remind me I hadn't paid for my room yet.

It was as if staff had followed me to the beach or were sitting in a bush waiting for me to get back. There's no way they would have known I was back to have called me so soon.

I thought this was really bad and could have been handled better.

I explained to reception that I went to make a payment that am but the machine wasn't working. All I got back in response was that the machine was now working and could I go and pay for my room.

Where the hell did they think I would go? I had only been there 3 days and it was my 3rd visit to both Egypt and the tiran island hotel. It's not as if it was my first time there.

The hotel taxes are a rip off. don't part with any money in any currency for a taxi. go outside and wait for a blue and white taxi.

from the hotel to naama bay, it costs no more than £30 egyptian pounds. if a taxi driver won't drop you to naama bay for that price, politely thank him and let him go. Another taxi will come along and gladly take you there, especially if he sees another driver being greedy.

If you're going to visit old market, from naama bay, it's £10 egyptian pounds. same rules apply. if the driver is greedy and demands more, thank him and let him go. it doesn't cost more so why should you pay more.

from the hotel to nabq, the cheapest I paid was £20 egyptian. don't pay more than £30 egyptian.

Despite the negative things that took place on my 3rd visit, I would still recommend this hotel to others.

I was out so often and for so long, that I didn't eat breakfast or lunch in the hotel, and I only ate dinner in the hotel once, but I would still pay for all inclusive as it's when you don't pay that you find yourself wanting the food and drink and then you have to pay extra for it.

The fridge not working really annoyed me. It was so hot and to keep walking around asking for bags of ice was something I could have done without.

As much as I love the hotel and most of the staff working there, I don't believe they did anything to fix the problem of the fridges not working and it's for that reason along with a few other issues I had this time around that I've decided to stay in another hotel.

I hope that for anyone who goes back, the fridges are working.

I hope anyone who goes has a great time, but I didn't have as much fun this time as I did on my first and second visit.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank hYpNoTiC
Reviewed 20 August 2010

this hotel was very clean 95% of the staff were great the pool was good volly ball and water arobicks twice a day pool staff were good give them an english pound a day and you would have your sunbeds saved for you. food very standard very much the same kind of thing each day very boring indeed. night time entertainment very bad animation team good they put a show on every night from 945 till 1030 only 45 minutes other than that there was an old guy singing the same old time songs over again every night could not take it after one week stayed in a lot at night. to go out at night you had to get a cab which are not cheap if you have to do it often they are 40le to napq which is very nice amd 50le to naama bay which is a nightmare do not recamend to go.the beach is not a sandy beach as said on web site the sun beds are on sand on rocks but the only way to the water is by the jetty as you are not allowed to walk on the corel and it is surrounded by corel.the beach bar is free for all inclusive but not the food.over all the hotel is ok but do need to sort the entertainment at night out this is a major problem for a lot of guests.also they tell you the bottled beer is sold out et around 8.30 but when you have to pay for it at 11pm it all of a sudden appears again.dont buy anything from the shops on resort as they ar half the price in the mini market 10 mins walk down the road.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family