“A very enjoyable holiday”
Review of Royal Oasis Resort

and 1 more site!
Royal Oasis Resort
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We booked to stay at Royal Oasis for 10 days, and when we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff. The accommodation was clean, spacious and modern. There was some building work being carried out to the rear of the site, which was just about finished, the staff were extremely apologetic and could not do more for us. The pool and Jacuzzi that we used was very clean and relaxing. It was easy walking down to Naama Bay. We would recommend our stay at the Royal Oasis and will definitely stay at the resort again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank dkmiller69

Reviewed 14 May 2011

Stayed from 24 April 2011 - 1 May 2011

I must say that I was a bit nervous after seeing a few negative reviews about this resort but I had a wonderful time in the resort and have no complaints whatsoever. The Apartment I stayed in was clean well furnished and all amenities had been provided as per the pics on their website. Staff had been friendly helpful and thanks to Caz Cunninham and Amy, as they both were very helpful. The Resort is being extended but I was in no way impacted by the construction as it is on other side of the complex. Location is excellent as you could be in the Nama Bay in not less than 15 mins. The stairs to the Bay are reasonable and we had a old member in the family who could use the stairs with no difficulty so what to speak of youngsters. All amenities are good and offer good value for Money. I guess every traveller has a different taste but the apartments are excellent value for money.

If you want to stay away from the crowd and need a quiet time by the pool then this is the place, as it is located on a hilltop location and not on the main road.

M

I

Room Tip: Pool Facing Apartment
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mitesh70
Reviewed 26 January 2011

After thoroughly researching apartments in Sharm and corresponding on many occasions with the management we were shockingly distressed to discover that our apartment at the Royal Oasis was absolutely nothing like those shown on the website. The apartment size and layout is similar however the photos do not show the filth and the really bad finish and attention to detail. The kitchen units and door handles were so thick with dirt that you could not only see it but also feel it. The grouting in the shower area was thick with mould and dirt. The air conditioner (also referred to another review on this site) did indeed sound like an aircraft taking off and also continually leaked water all over the floor. The finish in these apartments is awful, plug sockets don’t work, fittings look like they were fitted by amateurs and there are none of the soft furnishings (rugs, lamps etc) as shown on the Royal Oasis website (apparently the photographs on the website are of an apartment which is privately owned). Upon arriving and immediately stating we were dissatisfied we were informed that it was not the first time the management have received complaints. Also, for a self catering apartment it would have been useful to have an oven!

Consequently we lost three days of our precious holiday arranging alternative accommodation. We also met another family there who, after complaining, were upgraded however shortly after checked into a hotel for the remainder of their stay in Sharm. We are pretty certain their review will be turning up here shortly!

We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor which all seemed good – a little too good perhaps! However, upon reviewing them again upon returning home the reviews are all written in a similar style (except for the negative one) and there are no photographs attached.

The location of the apartments is good, just a short walk from Naama Bay (the steps into the town are dangerous however there is an alternative, albeit longer, route into town). The staff are indeed helpful – in fact they did everything they could to find us alternative accommodation! It is a real shame that the things that are wrong with this apartment could be changed very easily. It is basically laziness on behalf of the management and staff that the apartments are in the state that they are in.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank househunt51
RoyalOasis, Owner at Royal Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

The Royal Oasis would like to apologise for the unacceptable standards in our resort at the end of last year, resulting in your review. We have seriously acknowledged these complaints & have done our utmost to ensure each & every problem has been rectified so that the apartments are up to the high standard expected from future guests.
We would like to reassure anyone considering making a reservation that the very positive reviews prior to this time were genuinely posted by our guests and the standard that we promise is being met and will be maintained by our new management team. If you would like to discuss anything directly please contact us on info@royaloasissharm.com

Reviewed 26 January 2011

I'm not going to mess about padding my review. Cement dust, indifference and ingrained filth.

We arrived late 10.30ish worn out from the delays due to snow in the UK and immediately on entering the 'building site' (check it out on google earth, wish I had) it was obvious the place was filthy. The room was nothing like the images on the internet kitchen doors hanging off tiles broken in the shower a/c leaking water over the floor and clearly absolutely filthy. In utter shock I raised this with the woman showing us around who was immediately apologetic and suggested we spoke with the manager in the morning. We turned up at the managers office, he sat there impassively whilst I informed him we were not going to accept this shoddy excuse for a 'luxury apartment' where I was informed that European luxury is a 'different standard' to Arab luxury (oh well thats alright then)?. He instructed one of the several English girls working there to find us alternative accommodation, this appeared to be their full time job, We were stuck there for a further two days and one night until we found other accommodation - by our own efforts! We paid nothing by virtue of them being unable to accept credit card payments.

We spoke to several other people staying there who were of the same opinion and looking for other accommodation. Anybody who has recommended this place on here - shame on you!! It's a long way to travel and an expensive mistake to make. We made our decision based on what we read on this site, I vowed on my return to the UK to post the truth so that no one else makes the same mistake.

Oh almost forgot to mention the outdoor lunatic asylum next door, where you can listen to drunken English people using the foulest language and shrieking on a near 24hr basis. I don't want to be completely negative though, it is in a good location, if your a mountain goat who likes a challenge. High definition footage to follow!

Hell on earth - it exists here!

Brin Thorne

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Holgate123

Reviewed 25 January 2011

I was initially concerned on reading comments here regarding misleading property descriptions as I was paying £1200 for a 2 bed apartment for 2 weeks over Christmas and had paid half as a deposit. I contacted Rochelle who took the booking, and she assured me the apartment would be of a similar standard, but there ‘might be a lamp or two in the publicity material that were particular to that one apartment’.
When we arrived at the property we were greeted by a 16 yr old Egyptian boy who spoke no English and left us to carry our bags up to our rooms on the top floor. When we finally managed to get the door open (faulty lock) we found that the apartment was of a completely different standard to those on the website. The apartment was extremely dirty. The bathrooms were disgusting with thick mould around the shower, dirty mirrors, basin and bin. The kitchen was as bad, with grease on the surfaces and the dirtiest chopping board I have ever seen. There was litter in the cupboards and even an ashtray with cigarette butts in one of the kitchen cupboards.
There were no curtains just ‘blackout liners’ that did not fit the width of the window. In the bedroom the sheets were so appallingly crumpled it was difficult to tell whether the linen had been slept on already. They had obviously been left in a washing machine to dry. There were burn marks all over the furniture and no door on the TV cabinet in the living room.
Another couple arrived at the same time as us, and they didn’t stay another night as they too felt they had been mislead.
As I was with 3 teenage girls what I found most alarming was the fact that we could never open the door to the apartment. Each time we were struggling with the lock, a guy would step out of the shadows on the staircase and watch us. This was unnerving as the place was largely deserted. I complained and was moved to another apartment where, again, the locks were faulty, the sliding bedroom windows did not lock and when I opened the kitchen window it fell out. There were no British channels on the TV and the free wifi did not work.
The final straw came the next night when at 4am a fracas kicked off. A torrent of foul language came from the staff apartments opposite. I could clearly see a member of the personnel walking down the stairs and had the presence of mind to record the episode. Members of the Oasis team were clearly named during this fight and a door was obviously being kicked in. The following day I went to demand that my money was returned to me. The manager repeatedly tried to tell me that the disturbance was due to guest!
I refused to be intimidated by this man. Be aware that if you go to complain or demand your money back you will be kept waiting then taken to sit in a room with each member of staff present. I was too angry at the blatant misrepresentation of the property to give in. I repeatedly told him why I did not feel safe to have my daughters stay there. I repeatedly told him that he could not expect to knowingly mislead people using the internet and not expect that people would use the same medium to tell the truth about this shameful property.
I demanded a taxi that I be refunded in cash and was not surprised to find it £100 short. During the hour and a half that we stood in the heat waiting for this taxi, the Housekeeping Manager Amy admitted that the place was falling apart and explained the only person ‘cleaning’ them was the 16 year old boy. She said that she knew it was massively overpriced and totally miss represented in the publicity material. How can these people sleep at night?
Hint: Search Sharm Cliff Resort day view to see the steps you will have to tackle to the resort.
We checked in at The Marriott Resort where the service was impeccable and the building was immaculate.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Justjules

Reviewed 13 January 2011

After returning from a stay at Royal Oasis in November 2010, my husband and I made a complaint to the resort concerning several aspects of our holiday. Unfortunately despite several e-mails on our part, the company have declined to comment or apologise for their misleading advertisements, cleanliness or behaviour of management.

This review is as objective as possible, bearing in mind the events that occurred during our stay and the sad fact that the company seem so unconcerned about customer concerns. We want to present the facts, so that you are aware of them before you decide to book a holiday there.

Firstly, Royal Oasis asked us to pay a £200 deposit via bank transfer with the balance payable either in cash or by credit card on arrival. As their account is in Egypt, we had to pay our bank a £20 transfer fee, and a further fee of about £20 was imposed by their bank to receive the transfer which was deducted from the deposit. After querying this with them, they agreed to refund the charges made by their bank only. The potential for bank charges was not made clear in their booking information, which we felt was deceptive.

Secondly, the apartment was nothing like the photographs used by Royal Oasis in their online advertisements. Our apartment was of a high basic standard but could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be described as ‘luxurious’ and we felt that the photographs were grossly misleading. We saw two other apartments during our stay, and they were both more or less the same as ours and certainly nothing like the promotional pictures.

Also, the apartment was so dirty on arrival that we had to request that it be re-cleaned before we were able to unpack and settle in. Not a good start to a ‘luxury’ holiday. We met other guests at the resort who actually went and bought cleaning materials to clean their apartment themselves when they arrived because it was so filthy.

Thirdly, although we were told that the apartment would be cleaned with a change of sheets and towels at least twice during our stay, we were not made aware that in order for this to happen we needed to request specific times in advance for the cleaning team to access the apartment. This information was not provided by the guest relations team on our arrival, and there was no information in this regard supplied in the apartment itself. Thus, we ended up cleaning the apartment and washing the sheets and towels ourselves because we got fed up with waiting.

Furthermore, the staircase and stairwell leading up to the apartment were covered in dirt, hair, cigarette ends and pigeon droppings. These areas were not cleaned at all during our two week stay.

Fourthly, our accommodation was unfortunately positioned next to a neighbouring resort that had frequent loud and invasive entertainment at night-time and we were often kept awake by loud music, shouting, or treated to the sound of drunken Brits singing out of key karaoke.

The final straw came when we were told that the credit card machine was broken, and couldn’t be fixed until after we were due to leave. By this time we weren’t able to pay the balance in cash and did not have prior agreement with our credit card company to use the credit card to withdraw cash from the ATM.

We decided to speak to the manager about our numerous concerns. Unfortunately the manager was on holiday in Cairo, and not due back until the day before we were leaving. As there did not seem to be anyone appointed in his place to act on his behalf in his absence, we had no choice but to wait for his return. Despite numerous visits to the guest relations office on the last two days of our stay, the manager was nowhere to be found. Nobody knew where he was or when he would be arriving. We left details of our whereabouts to enable him to contact us immediately on his return.

At 3.30pm on our last day, as we were leaving the resort to go to the airport, we found the missing manager (Mr Assam, who had obviously just turned up for work after his holiday) along with members of the guest relations and housekeeping teams waiting for us outside the apartment. Mr Assam had no interest in listening to what we had to say, saying that the broken credit card machine was not his fault and demanded that we pay the balance immediately or we would be arrested. He insisted we could withdraw money from a cashpoint using a credit card (not possible I’m afraid unless you have prior agreement with your credit company to do so). We offered to pay the balance by bank transfer on return to the UK but he refused, saying he couldn’t trust us to do that! His manner was threatening and aggressive, designed to be intimidating. He told our taxi driver (who was waiting to take us to the airport) to leave without us as we were likely to be arrested! He made us feel like criminals – despite the fact that we had endeavoured to speak to him to resolve the situation on numerous occasions and were not able to do so because of his absence!

Sadly, rather than ‘managing’ the situation, Mr Assam used blatant bullying and intimidation tactics to get his money. He had no interest in hearing about our negative experiences whilst staying at his resort, and certainly had no intention for apologising for the catalogue of errors made by the resort. Under the circumstances, we were left in a rather awkward spot due to needing to get to the airport to avoid missing the flight. I was so distressed that I started to cry. An absolutely horrendous end to the holiday. Fortunately my husband (who is Egyptian and lives in Sharm) managed to negotiate with the manager and paid the balance using the money he was keeping to pay his rent. We managed to get to the airport in time for me to get my flight, but both of us were feeling terrible.

On reflection, we wish we had chosen somewhere else to stay and would certainly never go back there again. Any resort that so willingly misleads its customers and takes no responsibility whatsoever for its mistakes shows a lack of good management and disregard for customer experiences with no commitment to quality or improvement. And please don’t believe any comments made by Royal Oasis that customer satisfaction is important to them. It clearly is not.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
RoyalOasis, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

We would like to reassure anyone considering making a reservation that the very positive reviews prior to this time were genuinely posted by our guests and the standard that we promise is being met and will be maintained by our new management team. If you would like to discuss anything directly please contact us on ibmohsen@royaloasissharm.com

Reviewed 29 November 2010

just come back from 7 nights at royal oasis, when first arriving from the airport we panicked as the entrance to the property from the road looked a bit like a building site, but once through the gate it all opened up to a really attractive place, with nice lights and trees and bushes and massive porcelain pots etc,
we had rented a 1 bedroom apartment and it was quite spacious and clean (although the tiled shower room floor was not up to my partners standards,!!) but i saw nothing much wrong with it
we arrived on friday night and were a bit tired so decided to eat in the pool restaurant and met some of the charming residents that have bought their own apartments from the resort , had a couple of real Aberdeen Angus steaks imported into the country (this we know because we actually had drinks with the British importer ), ...we had another meal there during the week and we had a nice spagghetti bollignaise , yes, the menu is limited but tasty
the Engilsh staff of the resort are very warm and welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble for them, they really do treat you well , (thank you Amy and Ronnie)
the Egyption staff are also very helpful and I cannot fault them in any way
this place is very well managed and it shows,
the actual hotel at the front of the complex is in the final stages of completion and doesnt look like a building site at all, and there is even water in the main pool, and the steps down to the town were adequate, but not ideal as they belong to another property but we had no problem with them in the dark
all in all, we had a lovely quiet week and are looking forward to out next holiday there, we wouldnt go anywhere else
enjoy