“Latest Position 11 Feb re Facilities closed at resort”

Sea Magic Resort and Spa
Ranked #172 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Latest Position 11 Feb re Facilities closed at resort”
Reviewed 12 February 2011

During our stay 4 to 11 Feb the number of residents was low due to many cancellations because of the troubles in Egypt. Only around 100 people instead of the 1200 originally booked. As a result of this 6 out of the 8 restaurants were closed, only 1 pool open and 1 bar open. All the beach areas, beach toilets & bars were closed. The majority of the staff were layed off. I can fully understand the Hotel Management's decision however I confirmed with other people staying at the resort that the closing down of the facilities commenced days prior to our arrival. I have checked the internet tonight and there appears to be no updates on holiday websites stating the extensive reduction in facilities. Despite this the remaining staff tried everything to please us. Please note that I am not complaining about the hotel but want to make iminent visitors of the latest position.

The small number of remaining staff said that many of the hotels in Sharm were either closed or intending to close. Whilst in Sharm I saw no signs of trouble, the army or kerfew, however the whole place is eerily quiet. We went to Naarma Bay but were the only 4 people there and we were hasstled no end so much that we left after half an hour. Soho Square should be visited as it is newly built with resteraunts, bars and no hassle shops.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Dawn190773

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2011

We had read a few bad reviews about this hotel prior to staying there but we have not long come back and had to write a review to say how excellent we found it to be. The hotel is large with plenty of different areas to sunbathe and relax either by the 2 pools or by the beach areas and there is an excellent choice of several restaurants which were all included in the all inclusive so no chance of getting bored with the food. The indian and chinese were particularly good(these need to be booked). All staff could not have been friendlier and were always helpful from the bar men and waiters to the reception staff and cleaners.It was extremely clean everywhere and there seemed plenty of staff to keep it like this. The spa is great and well worth a massage.They have regular shuttle buses if you want to venture out of hotel to nearby Naama bay but we found we just got so hasseled there by guys trying to get you into their shops, bars and restaurants that we did not go back after the first trip. All in all a great hotel. Andrea and james, uk.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Have listed things in order of importance to me so apologies if you have to scroll down a little......

Room
Initial room was twin but had asked for double; at 2nd attempt was givenm a nice room with huge kingsize bed & small balcony so no complaints.
Room has some minor issues e.g. curtain off rail, wardrobe didn't slide, bulbs not working but all fixed, some immediately, some after a couple of nags!
Good variety with fish, chicken, beef every night yet after a week maybe didn't feel like it but there again how varied can food be. Alternative restaurants were not so different, Indian & Chinese pretty poor as the food was very bland except the banana fritters which were lush.
Lebanese ok for a change and grill near main restaurant was always reliable; didn't try fish restaurant so can't comment - hardly anyone did so maybe this could be put to better use.
Omelettes & pasta at breakfast & lunch very good though next time I'll take a few chillis & some garlic to spice it up a bit; believe it or not but I actually found some horse mushrooms growing in the hotel grounds, which they happily threw into my omelette!:).
Overall I'd say food is 4*, addition of things like prawns, duck & other more explensive stuff would push it towards 5*.
Drink
Wines are house wines so you know what you'll get, beer fine, local spirits are for sure watered down at times but as you can have as many as you like this isn't an issue.
It was a little annoying that free drinks stop at 2300 & that cocktails etc were not included but again this is the difference between this & a proper 5*, which of course would cost considerably more.
Beaches
Main beach noisy & busy, which might suit some; we used one of the smaller ones where you could easily walk into the sea; beaches much nicer at Nabq so if 'real' sandy beaches that your kids can play on are a vital part of your holiday don't come here. Plenty of fish swimming about without needing to go snorkelling though you will see more if you drift off the edge of the piers.
Pools
Main pool bit nippy, smaller one near beach warmer but didn't bother me as used beach.
Tips
I'm anti-tip everywhere though did give the occasional one to cleaner, waiters etc; it is appreciated & the more you tip the better & quicker the service but if you don't want to tip you'll still get served though may have to go to the bar yourself sometimes, particularly at about 2255!!
Taxis/Transfers
I used a transfer at about £14 for two people but wouldn't bother next time; the airport is 5-10 mins away so if you're charged more than a fiver you've been ripped off!
Similarly, if you want to go to Narma or Old Sharm market just walk outside the hotel & haggle down to about a fiver each way to either.
Gym
Gym pretty well equipped though occasionally I ran outside the hotel for a mile or so; bit strange & disconcerting not seeing anyone other than taxi drivers flagging me down(was I really running that slow!) but no problems other than Egyptians laughing at me!Shops
Hotel shops ok but haggle really hard or else just go into Old Sharm or Narma where you'll get pretty much the same but at lower prices.
Currency
UK notes (& coins somewhat reluctantly) are accepted but US$ & euro notes are more popular; rate in hotel for changing to Egyptian (approx 9+£1) is ok though bank closed for second week due to troubles.
Internet
Internet is not free, I think it was about £1.50 per minute.
Toilets
All very clean other than the beach toilet halfway down the steps which was pretty messy most days.
Russians
I can't not mention the Russians who make up at least 70% of guests & seem to broadly fall into two categories. Firstly, stunningly classy looking, high-heeled, short-skirted Russian ladies & secondly bull-like older men wearing tracksuits & t-shirts or vests though of course not all fall into this category.... As for their arrogance & apparent rude nature, this is part of the East European nature (I have a Slovak girlfriend) & aside from one or two minor incidents they fell in line with the rest of us & we made friends with a few from the Urals.

That's me done, overall I'd put this at a good 4* but just falling short of a 5*. If you want to ask me anything specific about the hotel feel free to email me at vatman666@aol.com

Martyn

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vatman6666
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

me and my wife have visited sharm el sheik 4 times now,and this last time we stayed at the sea magic hotel and spa,we can be quite crytical if we find anything not to our satisfaction,but i can honestly say this proved the best value for money and relaxing holiday we have ever been on.the cleanliness in the hotel is second to none,in fact i defy any hotel to be cleaner,to us we think this is very important.
secondly i would like to comment on how helpful and polite all the staff were,from the moment you arrive you can relax with the bellboys taking your luggage to your rooms and also picking up your luggage from your rooms when departing,a special thanks to joseph who looked after us.
now i would like to comment on the food and restaurants,wow,my tip would be dont go to the first place you eat and think that was good,we,ll keep going back there to eat,because you will miss out on so many other lovely places to eat within the resort,indian great,italian great,chinese great lebanese great,fish restaurant good too.
and now on to the staff ,you dont have to get out of your seat if you dont want to they wait on you hand and foot,sometimes you feel a little embarrassed as if you should do something yourself but they cant seem to do enough,
we found the entertainment lovely and relaxing in the hotel,and the entertainment staff by the pool and on the beach very polite and full of energy,special thanks to natalie.
wonderful poolside bars and beach bars on the three private beaches,you dont have to get off the loungers even there as the waiters come around every few minutes.
now i would like to thank a waiter called SABRY SAAIID who without doubt is the best waiter i have come across anywhere in the world,the man never stops,working and the pace that he keeps up from morning to night is amazing,he as with all the staff were brilliant,hard working always smiling and eager to please.
if i can find any fault then it would not be with the hotel or staff but with the large amount of russian guests who dont seem to have it in they,re volcabulary to say please or thankyou and yet the hard working staff are still as courteous to them as the rest of us who do appreciate what they do.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank richardandtracey
uk
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I found all staff at this hotel very helpful and friendly. The food was great. Go to shop 7 in the hotel. Speak to Hamdi. Tell him Lesley sent you. He can speak Russian, English, German and Italian. He also has a lot of knowledge about the history of ancient Egypt. If I went back to Sharm I would certainly go back to the sea magic Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank lesleybUk
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We arrived on the 17th Dec 10 for two weeks, after reading all the comment we were wondering if we had made the right choice of booking this hotel as there were many different reviews from good to bad to terrible. We are over the moon that we choose to come to this resort in the end we could of asked for more! The hotel is on par with a 4 to 5 star in London! Have to say the staff at this hotel are probably by far politer that in London they couldn’t for done any more for us.
As soon as we got to the pool in the morning the pool boy had our sun beds ready and waiting for us and then the bar boy came over with bottles of water then five minutes later the alcohol drinks started to come as the day went by the drinks were that strong we had to tell him to not put as much in, the same happened in the main bar in the hotel the longer you sit there the stronger the drinks get so value for money on the drinks front.
Food was good much the same every day but many different restaurants to eat at so we didn’t get bored. We reserved a table in the main restaurant for our Christmas dinner have to say the dinner could have not been better well to say it say FANTASTIC there was turkey, beef fillet, lamb, salmon, a choice of potatoes, the biggest choice of vegetables, salad, smoked salmon, Cheese platter, and the BIGGEST ARAY OF PUDDINGS I HAVE SEEN. But if you fancy getting away from the hotel for dinner there are plenty of places to eat in Namma bay highly recommend TGI Fridays they do a beautiful steak with cheesey mash followed by a LARGE silce of chocolate fudge cake.
Aymen the gentleman that cleaned our room everyday while we were there worked from 7 to 7 everyday and with the amount for rooms he had to clean they were always to a very high standard and always had time to make us an animal or shape out of the towels with fresh flowers spread across the bed and he always had a smile on his face and always had time to make sure we were ok.
If you have booked to stay here or you are looking to book then you will have a fantastic time could not fault this hotel in anyway BRILLIANT!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jollyholls67
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Just got back today, whent for a week. There is not one bad thing I can say about this hotel. The staff were brilliant and friendly and polite. Hotel very clean and the entertainment was ok. The staff made me and my family feel very welcome.I read previous reviews about being able to hear airplanes and the noise was terrible and people were unable to sleep, I did not experience this. I would def recommend this hotel!! :-)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family