“holiday in melia sharm”
Review of Cyrene Grand Hotel

Cyrene Grand Hotel
Ranked #93 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 11 July 2014

just returned from our holiday in Melia Sharm resort. Stayed in June 2014. Great hotel, very spacious, lovely gardens restaurants, bars, beach and hotel rooms. All very clean. We stayed in room 5141GREAT Our view was over the gardens to the sea. No complaints at all. Food and drinks good and staff very friendly and would do anything for you If you want to visit Soho Square and Namma Bay you will need a Taxi and Namma Bay The hotel is so pleasant and relaxing you don't need to go anywhere if you don't want to. We had a perfect holiday. Once again thank you to the staff. Message for the management team. You have a very friendly team of staff. Well done we will be back.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 5141 overlooking the gardens to the sea. Was near to the main pool, bar beach and...
3  Thank patricia509
Melia S, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from the Meliá Sharm and thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your holiday with us.
It was a pleasure for us to have you as our guests. We are glad to know that your stay with us was a memorable one.
We will be happy to greet you again in the Meliá Sharm in the near future.

Guest Experience Department

Write a ReviewReviews (2,026)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Melia Sharm hotel is a beautiful hotel to stay at. There were many pools to choose from which were all beautiful. There were also pools for show around the hotel with waterfalls which I thought looked and sounded lovely. The grounds were kept really clean and tidy. Beautiful flowers and palm trees kept in excellent condition and pathways clear and tidy. Food on times were a slight issue though. The Spices restaurant which was the main restaurant buffet was good however, after a couple of days it got very repetitive and I struggled to find foods I liked as mostly they catered for the Russians and Germans. The O'grille restaurant was good for dinner but as a late breakfast snack it lacked a bit, I didn't really fancy eating bruised bananas and donuts for breakfast! We booked to have A La Carte at the O'grille restaurant and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ordered Lasagne and Pizza and it was delicious. The dessert however I wasn't fussed on. The entertainment team I thought made effort but only with the Russians, Germans and Ukraine's. They never really made a lot of effort for the British and tended to avoid us which I found uncomfortable and disappointing. Aziz, Saied and Khalil who worked as bar men I have to say were the best! Khalil made the most amazing cocktails and put so much care, dedication and effort into making them. He was so kind, friendly and funny it made our stay feel very welcome. I would highly recommend to anyone who is looking to stay at the resort to get their drinks from Khalil at the lobby bar because he is awesome! Aziz who we spent time with at the pool bar was also a really nice person. He joked and laughed with us all and made our stay a very pleasant one. Saied as well who was at the pool bar and brought us drinks around the pool was a fabulous guy, great laugh and made really nice cocktails. we all made very good friends with these three bar men and we will miss them terribly! Drinking alcohol off the resort is not recommended as it is very expensive. So if you're going all inclusive here I'd recommend just a night or two out of the resort to drink as it is not cheap. Inside the hotel was beautiful. it has a lovely glass arch which showed the pool from the reception, a beautiful chandelier which looked stunning and overall the hotel looked very clean, tidy and for me very posh. it did lack however a little more culture. I would have liked it to look a little more like Egypt. The hotel room that we stayed in was nice. we had free pop and water and two cans of Stella in our fridge and also prep for a cup of tea in the morning which I thought was nice. There wasn't any milk though so it was no use to me. The mattress I thought was very uncomfortable to begin with however, as soon as we mentioned it at reception there were men at our door within minutes bringing a softer mattress which I was very impressed with. The key card for the door was a small issue as every time we tried opening our door we couldn't get in. But that was resolved quick enough. The beach was beautiful and the sea was so clear and stunning. I enjoyed walking along the jetty and one of the workers even offered to take pictures of me and my partner with our camera which I thought was nice. Another issue was the fact that you had to pay for the Wi-Fi. it was all inclusive and a 5* hotel yet we had to pay for Wi-Fi. This I was not happy with. Also some of the activities required costs such as pool which I also thought should have been included in the all inclusive package. £10 an hour I thought was ridiculous for a couple games of pool. Also I couldn't believe that we had to pay for some of the night time activities that the entertainment staff put on such as: barbeque and a beach party which was £10pp even though drinks and food were all inclusive. There were a few little shops inside the hotel which I bought a few things from. They are quite decent. Beautiful hotel but overall I would rate Melia Sharm as a 4* and not a 5* and there were a few improvements that do need to be made. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend or family member? YES!

Room Tip: Any rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gemma C
Melia S, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Gemma C,

We would like to thank you very much for having been our guests recently and for taking the time to write your feedback about your holiday experience.

First we are happy, that allover you had an enjoyable holiday at our hotel and we value your comments, but kindly we want to clarify that in the case of food we are catering for many different nationalities as possible and daily we have theme nights such as Italian, Mexican, BBQ or Oriental. Besides this restaurant we have 2 a la carte restaurants. O’Grill for lunch and Aqua Italian restaurant for dinner.
At Meliá Sharm we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.
Your review was presented to the Management Team and I assure you we will take the appropriate measures to improve the operation process in mentioned areas.
Once again thank you for the opinion and we hope to greet you in the future in the Meliá Sharm.

Kind regards,
Guest Experience Department.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

we have just returned from melia sharm sharks bay Egypt after a two week holiday staying from 22nd June to 6th July this was our 5th visit and it never fails to disappoint I must say that the staff there make the hotel what it is they are all so friendly and helpful they cant do enough for you , we stayed in rooms 4111, 4117 , 4118 and the views over Tyran island are amazing complete sea view although I must say that all the rooms have some sort of sea and pool view,
the bar staff are all so friendly and always remember what your drinking,
the main spices restaurant is what you would expect from an all inclusive hotel and although we are fussy eaters we always found something to eat the deserts are fantastic the manager in the restaurant Sherif is so friendly helpful and professional and if you cant find anything to eat that suits your taste he will do his best to speak to the chef and sort something out for you .
the gardens and the pools are wonderfull a short walk through the gardens takes you down to the beach which always seems to have a slight welcoming breeze ,
if your unhappy with anything while your there speak to niccolette in guest experience and she will sort it out for you shes a lovely person so friendly and helpful one small moan this time was that there seemed a shortage of housekeeping staff and this reflected in the cleanliness of bedrooms but not a big problem because we know this is not normal for the melia it is usually very clean and it certainly didn't spoil our holiday

Room Tip: rooms over restaurant are excellent for complete sea view and Tyran island 2nd floor is good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sue w
Melia S, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Susan,

Warm and sunny greetings from the Meliá Sharm and thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your holiday with us.
It was a pleasure for us to have you again as our guests. As a 5th time repeater you know us very well and we are glad that your stay with us was a memorable one. Thank you also for mentioning some of our staff who made your stay even more pleasant.

We will be happy to greet you into your home away from home in December to make some more holiday memories.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Melia Sharm for one week in the middle of June. Overall we had an amazing time, the hotel was fantastic however a few things could be worked on to make it even better.

Good points
- the hotel grounds/pools etc were great. Huge hotel and very grand. The gardens were lovely and the pools were excellent with a wide variety to choose from as some were in the middle of all the entertainment and others a lot more quiet and relaxed
- the staff at the beach bar were amazing. Very good English, very attentive, would go out of their way to satisfy us. The best bar at the hotel by far
- Ahmed the guy who runs the Shisha at night was fantastic. We spend a good 3-4 hours at the shisha area purely because of him. Hilarious, chatty and very informative which really made our evenings as the hotel nightlife was pretty non existent.
- the staff in general were very helpful with the exception of a few
-very clean and the rooms were great
- the dive center reef oasis at the hotel were pretty good also. we are both open water divers so did 3 dives whcih were good but the staff didnt go above and beyond for us.

Bad points
- the bar staff at the main lobby bar were AWFUL. incredibly miserable, would not make eye contact, would not serve us. We waited so long at times my boyfriend reached into the bar to get himself a drink as there was no way they would acknowledge us. I cannot stress how terrible these bartenders were, considering the other hotel bar staff were great.
- the food. neither my boyfriend or I are fussy yet we still struggled a bit with the food. It was nice, it just wasn't quite 5* and what we were expecting. Breakfast was ok, not your typical english breakfast but had pancakes, waffles, pastries etc. Lunch and dinner were identical, every day even though they had themed nights. the 'Italian' themed night, had no pizza or pasta.....the food was very repetitive, and we ended up eating out twice.
-snorkelling at hotel. the snorkelling at the hotel was good, but if you walked to the next hotels jetty at melia sinai, the snorkelling was a million times better, absolutely breathtaking!
- the BBQ and beach party you had to pay for, which defeated the point of an all inclusive stay, so we didnt bother.

Overall, we had an amazing time and would return. The main bad points were some of the staff and the food. which I am sure can be worked on.
We would defintly return, and Sharks Bay is lovely, a lot nicer than Naama bay for the week.

Thanks to all the staff who made us feel very welcome!

3  Thank Heather K
Melia S, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Heather K,

It was a pleasure for us to have you as our guests. We are glad to know that your stay with us was a memorable one and that some of our staff made your stay even more pleasant.
The friendly comments about the food, the lobby bar and the extra charge for bbq and beachparty are of a great importance to us, only through it, we can aim to improve the level of services that our guests receive.

Thank you for your positive and negative comments and please note that we will do our best to avoid any negative comments as guests' satisfaction is our main goal.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have been to this hotel 7 times before. However this was the first time that my husband and i stayed in one of the " The Level Rooms ". It was something else. The service we received was excellent especially from staff members Mohamed and Ahmed at the level bar. The young boy who was part of the housekeeping staff also very attentive. We were treated like royalty. Private pool, separate bar and eating area. Both myself and my husband will definitely return. A fantastic experience.

Room Tip: Level rooms look onto the sea and are very quite.
2  Thank campbells1234

Dear Alan and Marie,
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure for us to have you as our repeated guests. We are glad to know that your stay with us again was a memorable one and that some of our staff made your stay even more pleasant.
We will be happy to greet you soon again in your second home, the Meliá Sharm.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Wonderful resort, stunning weather like expected went in June and didn't see a single cloud the whole two weeks, first impression was wonderful lobby was stunning, but on closer inspection to the rooms would only give them 3 star if that really need upgrading.

Pools were fantastic we found all the activities at the main pool bar but if you wanted a bit more peace and quite there was plenty more places to sit and relax at other pools and staff at all pools are very attentive especially saide at the pool bar was fantastic really looked after us. Also sameh at the lobby bar was fantastic really looked after us the whole trip he was also full of smiles. Made you feel welcome and special, all staff really look after you, if you give them a small tip they can't do enough for you especially if you tip in English not Egyptian but even before we tipped them they are really attentive.

Now for the food really not 5 star would give the main restaurant no higher than a 2 star breakfast was ok if you like toast fired eggs and omelettes, and evening was Evan worse only ate here about 4 times because food was terrible in the evenings unless you can live off chips theses not much more English food they seem to cater more for Russian and other foreigners. Food at the o grill was much better we ate here nearly every lunch time Evan though there is a very limited menu, we also ate at the la carte Italian restaurant witch was lovely food but again very limited menu. Be warned the Russians are very very rude and will push in front of you in a Que. but if you just take stand and tell them to get to the back they will do unhappily. Also what they class as snacks witch was only available from beach bar only included things like burgers and chips not crisps and ice cream was only available between 4-5, should have been all day.

We was happy with our rooms, stunning view clean and tidy however we did complain about noise after 8 nights of no sleep down to other guests being inconsiderate, and children running up and down stairs screaming and shouting at 1:30am, however once we spoke to management they bent over backwards to help was every good and very quickly offered us other rooms in the level part that was very quite and was the upgraded part of the hotel with its own private pool and also the staff in the level restaurant really looked after us once we moved here.

although other people have said about reps around pool pester you they work on commission so if you tell them you will think about they will come back but once you tell them no they leave you alone, we found Amed of fox safari witch was the horse ridding and quad biking witch we done twice and thoroughly enjoyed both times Evan though Thomas cook advised not to go on down to safety but we felt completely safe both times with the staff that took us out. Amed Evan arranged a taxi to both take and pick us from namma bay and met us there and showed us round on his own unpaid time witch was extremely kind of him but this is the kind of people they are out here. Couldn't thank him enough for the way he looked after us.

And last but least the entertainment was rubbish nothing after 10:30 in the night and what was there was only on for an hour and was rubbish only kind of nightlife for teenagers young adults was to pay to go on trips outside of resort. As the so called nightclub that Thomas cook advertise is aimed at children. Also didn't see why you should have to pay for the beach party and BBQ when we was here on all inclusive basses. And also thought the karaoke was held in the lobby bar should of been in the disco room as not everyone wanted to listen to it.

Would go again but with eyes more open to what is what, towards the food and entertainment, witch was the only two major problems.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quite pay the little extra to stay at the level.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting the Meliá Sharm for your holiday, as well as for taking time to write about your recent experience.
We are very sorry that your experience did not meet all your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies.
We would like to assure you that guests’ remarks never fall on deaf ears; our goal is guests’ satisfaction.
Let us also note we try to satisfy different tastes of our international guests. Hence, we do have theme nights at the Main restaurant; such as International, Italian, European, Mexican, and Oriental. For lunch and dinner we daily provide English Food Station and Healthy Food Station in addition to buffet stations.
We are glad to know that the staff at The Level Lounge made your vacation a special one.
The Level is a special part of the hotel where we are trying to provide personalized service for every guest.
Thank you again for the feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your opinion, and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again in future.

Guest Experience Deparment

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We are very torn from our stay at Melia Sharm. The area is lovely - the view from our balcony alone was breathtaking. But overall we would not rate this a 5*. The hotel looked good but on closer inspection was a little run down. We didn't like the additional extras you had to pay for like, the fire show or bbq. To me "all inclusive" means that everything is available and accessible. External staff (Beauticians, Spa, Newspapers, Boat Rides etc) will interrupt your relaxation and try and pester you for their service. That being said, we had the Cleopatra Massage and it was lovely, felt great for it.

Pool staff were great and very attentive but the same could not be said for all. Popular cocktails are not available and the food from the canteen was okay. Advice: tip a server early on and they will be very helpful for the rest of your stay. There wash't much entertainment but I am not sure if that is because we went off season. I'm sure it's a different story in the height of summer.

The coral reef at the end of the jetty is a must so please take your snorkels - though if you have walking difficulties, please beware. We were informed via Thomas Cook that it was wheelchair friendly but the hills (what they assume ramps) were near impossible for someone to do on their own and in the midday heat was an unpleasant experience.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay purely for the scenery and company. I'm sure we will return to Sharm-el Sheikh in the future but unfortunately not the the Melia.

3  Thank Tinuviel C

Dear Sidney C,

First we would like to thank you very much for your valuable and constructive feedback about your recent holiday you spent at our hotel.

We understand that you were a little disappointed in some areas of our operation but it does seem that you weren’t too put out by it. However, we have passed your comments on to the relevant departments to ensure that measures are put in place to resolve these issues. As we host many nationalities in our hotel, the entertainment is programmed for all these different nationalities and we offer soft entertainment, that means that we offer activities during day-time (volleybal, waterpolo, dancelessons etc.) and live-music or a show during the evenings.

We hope, that we will have the chance to host you in the near future once again at our resort to be able to convince you with our 5* service from all aspects.

Sincererly,