Review of Ghibli Raceway

Ghibli Raceway
More attraction details
Owner description: Ghibli Raceway, pioneering provider of international motor sport to the Middle East, takes its name from a North African wind. This wind parallels in force to the intense power and extreme speed found at Sharm El Sheikh's premier Karting facility.Ghibli Raceway's "Formula to Strive" inspires a diverse demographic to come and experience an adrenaline packed driving experience
Reviewed 4 August 2014

my son( who was not ill) really enjoyed this.You travel on a coach about 30 min to your destination, after qulaifying you get 10 laps. worth the money

1  Thank Yoclarkson15
in 11 reviews
in 9 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a rip off... 15 Laps for £20 per person - Slow Karts and a photographer takes and follows you every where. Even if so tell him in advance you dont want any/ buying any photos.

3  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 21 July 2014

19th July 2014. We had a 10 person race , 5 min qualifying , 10 lap race. I have done karting at heaps of places and this was by far the worst track and worst karts i have ever used. 2 marshalls covering the whole track. 1 lad found he had no brakes and smashed into the line of karts waiting for grid position. Track surface was like polished stone rather than something with a bit of grip. Another lad spun on a corner and sat there for 3 laps waiting for a Marshall to come and get him going , while leading the race i had a total loss of drive on lap 7 of 10 leaving me sitting at the side of the track while everyone drove past me twice. Replacement kart turned up for me to drive round half a circuit to see the chequered flag and finish last. The track workers were not interested that people missed 2 or 3 laps of their 10 . Only place in Sharm that we weren't treated like Kings and DIDN'T get value for money.

1  Thank Martin C
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I took our 4 kids and friend(s) to this racetrack and had a great time last year so we went again this year. My kids are 12, 10, 9 and 7 years old and we all really enjoyed it. When we went to book through the holiday rep (Thomson) as we had done the previous year, they handed over a leaflet and my son said "Mum, this is me on the leaflet" I thought he was making it up so ignored him but when he kept on about it, I looked at it and was amazed that it was our family picture from the year before. I could not believe it as I always look at these publicity leaflets and think the people on them are being paid to pose for these leaflets but there we were. Anyway, we went back and they had our photos up waiting from the year before and they have posted our visit on facebook https://www.facebook.com/ghibli.raceway (post dated 9th July 2014), which I thought was a nice touch for the kids. We also found our picture in a publicity brochure of things to do in Sharm when we were there.
Last year was slightly better as they opened all the track up when competing in the final race. This year was still very good although the track was not as long as they kept a section cordoned off for no apparent reason. They have also moved the podium from the front of the building to the pits so no one can take photos and you have to buy the CD if you want your picture. My 2nd oldest son was a bit disappointed that they got his position on the starting grid wrong following the qualifying heat laps so it meant he missed out on a podium place having had to start further down the grid! I found it amusing.
My oldest son complained that his brakes did not work properly, don't know if this was his excuse for being last. For these reasons I would rate it 4 stars rather than 5 if I had reviewed last year. Having said that, Ghibli were very accomodating with our youngest son and welcomed us back warmly as well as allowing us to race on the same track with our kids this year so I would give it 4.5 stars this year.
Another reviewer mentions karts of different speeds - the 2 seater karts have a speed restrictor on them so they go slower - I know this as I had to take one of these with my son the first year as he cried when they started up the engine on his kart! This year he was brave enough to go on his own kart and he was doing fine until he braked a bit too hard and spun in front of me and I crashed into him - bad mother, I was trying to go fast to overtake my husband. That was the end of his race and he refused to go on the double kart this time either. However, he was persuaded back onto the track to complete a couple of laps when the kind crew at Ghibli gave him a fancy coloured crash helmet as a bribe to get him back on. He was really chuffed that he had gone round by himself. I finished 2nd - behind my husband - I will never hear the end of it! Would I go again - yes, definitely, I need to be in 1st place next time.
Tip - it is hot under the mask and helmet and there is heat from the engine so go later in the afternoon or early evening just as the sun is setting as it is not quite as hot as earlier in the day. It is also quite cool racing in the dark with the background lighting.
Ghibli - please put the podium back at the front so kids can have fun lifting the trophy and getting their picture taken - it also kept them entertained whilst waiting on their turn to race as they felt they were real race drivers with the overalls, podium and trophy. Shame you have moved this.
Price was £23 for adults and £11 for kids through Thomson - not bad since some places wanted adult prices for the kids! I actually think this was cheaper for kids than last year, think I was £14 each. I found it value for money.
The taxi (minibus) to and from the Raceway which was included in this price was a bit of an adventure in itself - you will see what I mean if you go! Honk, honk, no lane discipline on the real roads but everyone waves to eachother when they cut in front of each other on the streets. Madness, it was actually safer on the race circuit than on the streets of Sharm - a bit un-nerving to begin with but you quickly realise this is how the Egyptians drive.

1  Thank Heather W