“Feedback visit in April 2012”
Review of Sharm Plaza Hotel

Sharm Plaza Hotel
Ranked #82 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“Feedback visit in April 2012”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We were a family of 5 from England escaping the Easter freeze! 3 kids including 2 young ones aged 5 and 6.

Overall, a good experience.

The main thing about Sharm is that sunshine is guaranteed literally every day of the year although I would caution visitors thinking of coming in the summer when temperatures exceed 40 and sometimes 50 degrees centigrade. Much better during the period outside the main summer months, particularly during the winter in Europe - and when comparables in Tunisia, Morocco or even the Canaries cannot really compete against.

Safety is a big issue and it is safe in Sharm generally but particularly for a 5 star hotel like this. There is ample security around the place although Sharm is a small recently build town (not really a city despite claims) - so safety shouldn't be a real concern if you follow basic rules of being in a foreign country that is essentially Islamic.

The place is great for kids with ample swimming pools and if you're into diving then this is for you as there is a jetty for divers. There is however no beach as such although there is enough sand for beach bums on the cliff face.

Food: the best place is the main restaurant where hygeine is higher - or put another way the chances of tummy bugs is less than at the other restaurants. Food and drink are included in the price and in general the grub was fine but not Club Med! Slightly annoying was the constant push to pay for extras or higher premium pizzas - just say no and stick to the standard fare. The local beer is good and the wine OK/ish although we brought some of our own bottles from duty free on the way out to Sharm.

The service is very good and the Egyptian workers were all very polite and helpful. You have to remember that they are on less than £100/week on average and work 7 days per week for 2-3 weeks so a small tip to your cleaner or even the waiter is very well received - particularly if end of week (1 dollar, euro or pound will suffice in general although we paid 10 bucks to our cleaner).

We found the Dutch lady in charge of customer service to be excellent on all manner of things.

The only negative for us was the tour rep for, in our case, Red Sea Travel - who was nice but dim - our group got no induction of the hotel or how it worked (eg do you buy water or is it provided, where are the restaurants, do you pay for tennis, where do you go diving...) but this was not the hotel's fault and other tour operators are much better at co-ordinating with the hotel management.

3 Thank r s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
newcastle
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Firstly I want to say that this is my 3rd visit to Egypt and this hotel is ideal for a quick holiday away that you can guarantee the weather.

Reading all the other reviews on trip advisor before I went away did get me a little worried but I do have to say that you really have nothing to worry about as this hotel is nice. I totally disagree with the staff being awful and rude as we found 95% of the staff very helpfull and friendly so maybe people need to make the effort as some guests were so rude to staff.

The beach or terraces as I liked to call it was nice and clean but my 70 year old dad did have great trouble getting in and out of the water via the jetty and caught his knee on a number of occasions causing it to bleed but on the other side of the terrace we discovered there were steps that were easier but did get busy with divers. If you are bad on your feet this is NOT the place for you as there are quite a few steps around the hotel. The pools are great and you have so much choice as there are 5. They are clean and are quite cool but I like the pool to be cold when you need to cool off.
There are many options for food the italian,pizza restaurant,chinese, buffet, and 2 x restaurants near the beach. The buffet was not great at night but was okay through the day. Italian was nice and have a great view next to the roman pool (you have to book for this in reception), pizza restaurant was really nice and staff were lovely (book for this aswell)The rooms were okay but to be honest how much time do you spend in them?? the linen was clean and the room was spotless but they are a little run downin places. Beach towels were brought to room everday at 5pm for the next day. The toilet and shower were the worst bits as the toilet made noises all night and the shower was just a trickle and even after reporting it twice it was still the same but all in all the rooms are fine.

Drinks are okay the red wine is drinkable but the worst bit for me was the cocktails as I love cocktails on holiday and they were horrible unless you were willing to pay for them which isnt right when your all inclusive. The good thing is that you can get bottled water all day long which really helps when your laid in the heat. You also get a litre bottle of water in your room everday for your teeth etc. The cocktails are better near the pool bar.
Mosquito's were a major problem for some people but me, my mum,dad did not get a single bite but we sprayed the room every night before we went out and did not go out on evening without repellant, i bought 100% Deet on Amazon and it always works wherever i go and i know people say you dont need it that strong but if you dont want to get bitten then its perfect as some people were covered with 20/30 bites.
Be careful with the fresh fruit juices at breakfast as they hide the price list and they are 2 euros
each and quite a lot of English were caught out with this.
You location was fine as you were only 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from Naama Bay.
All in all for what you pay for this hotel it is great value and a clean comfortable hotel. Only a few minor things wrong.
I will say if you are a beach person that likes to walk along the beach then don't go for this hotel likewise if you are bad on your feet this hotel isnt for you.

The entertainment team were nice friendly people but the entertainment is pretty much the same as anywhere else in Egypt. My mum could not believe the fish and snorkelling and diving at this hotel is amazing. Dont let the bad reviews put you off this hotel it is nice and cheap for a week or two away from the cold weather. Hope this review helps you all

Room Tip: our room was 1240 and was good location
13 Thank bumper4
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This review is late but, I felt I had to write one. I booked this hotel Sept 2011 for a week with my 11 yr old daughter. We were greeted immediately with a smile and were upgraded for free which was nice! Our room was spaceous, clean (not 5 star clean & I suffer from OCD) but it was okay, more wear and tear than anything. We did not receive shower gel shampoo etc however I made friends who did. I did tip every day and our guy who cleaned the rooms worked SO hard!!! Always waiting around to make sure we had clean beach towels etc. Travelling in September meant the school holidays were over and the ''season'' was quiet. My daughter was not catered to in any way shape or form by the entertainment staff, whom I think I saw twice the whole time I was there, however we had a brilliant time! She is shy so she probably would not have interacted with them alone even if they did try to entertain her. Maybe they are different when the hotel has a lot of children I don't know but, it was not a huge deal for us. The food was fabulous...ALWAYS something nice to eat - We loved breakfast as we love fruit and pastries etc! The team in the resturaunts could'nt do enough to help you and were always smiling. They were great with my daughter - always made sure they spoke and had a little joke with her without being over the top or crowding. A la carte was FAB... we ate all 3 and loved them all - service again was lovely and we could go as many times as we liked which I loved. There is no beach per say but PLENTY of beds / loungers and parasols, the areas are clean and tidy but if you are unable to walk far mybe this hotel is not for you. Its on a steep incline and at least 100 steps from the beach / jetty area to the front reception. There are alternate ways to walk without steps but its still up a hill. I do believe though they would send golf carts to pick people up BUT - you had to wait maybe longer than expected. The soft drinks were served in TINY little disposable cups - I was disappointed by that however bottled water is better for you and handed out no questions asked. The snorkelling was AMAZING we LOVED it.... Barely used the pools due to the amazing sights in the ocean. Take swim shoes as one of the jetty's is wooden very slippy and there are a lot of steps to both jetties. I took my daughter to Cairo to the pyramids and did NOT use the hotel tour guides!!! We flew and with red sea they wanted £180 per person to fly and i managed to find a guy who has his own tour company who did it for £100 each!! I was a little dubious but - we were on the EXACT same plane, excursions and tour as everyone else from my hotel except I was in a different group!!! All I kept thinking is wow -- these people have been robbed. We even got to go on a boat down the nile (which was exclusive to our trip and an extra £6 per person it was a choice too,but who cares its the Nile! ) I would most definitely return to this hotel - we are re visiting Sharm in May but this time for 2 weeks and we are staying at a different hotel. ONLY because the hotel I have chosen has a water park - etc etc -- But the Sharm plaza was LOVELY and the staff were great. Do not buy anything IN THE HOTEL SHOPS they charge about 3 - 4 times MORE than you can buy things for down town. I went with a couple into naama bay shopping... I bought a HUGE papyrus - it started at £25 (which would have been a deal) however I bartered down to £12 - a total steal...... the couple I was with were so upset as they bought 2 in the hotel that were only 1/4th of the size of mine and paid £60 !!!!!! So just be careful. All in all - a great holiday -- Im praying this hotel we are trying this year will not leave me wishing i went back to Sharm Plaza!!!

Room Tip: If you are unable to walk great distances then ask for rooms by the ROMAN POOL -- the rooms at the b...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank amanda1Scotland
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We had a lovely time at this hotel. Beacuse of the mass of steps in the resort it isnt advisable to go if you have problems walking. Although there is a cobbled road that runs the length of the resort and there is a golf buggy that will take you.
The hotel is clean and rooms are nice. It does not compare to uk 5 star but Id be suprised if any in Egypt did. Still it was excellent value for money from red sea holidays (through golden ticket travels).
The food in my opinion was very nice for an all inclusive, but Im not fussy and neither is my family.
Buffet has a carvery, large salad bar, meat cooking station,live pasta station, and several hot choices, there is a theme every night from different countries. The breakfast here is good but be warned that freshly squeezed orange juice is on offer and when you take it a waiter will come to your table with the bill (2 euros). There is however regular fresh orange from concentrate free!
Chinese: nice with a sushi station, small buffet and tempanyaki station.
Italian this seemed to be very popular it was my least favourite but ok all the same things like risotto, steak etc.
Pizza restaurant was ok too and during the day is a crepe station.
The sea food restaurant was ok it does have lobster and king prawnsbut you have to pay extra. this was nice to go for lunch teh feta salad was lovely. their salads are washed in bottled water and are safe to eat.
the lebanese restaurant does lunch and dinner and is overlooking the sea so a lovely location but at night is a prime place to get bit by mosquitos!!
There is also a beach bar with great staff.
the restauranyts are all allinclusive but doe have extras on the menu you can pay for. They also offer bottles of wine and "special beer" you can pay for. but by the glass its allinclusive ??
there is another bar by the main pool and you can help your self to ice cream all day long and get shisha at night (extra charge!)
The main bar on the terrace is where the entertainment is nightly with a resident singer who was ok but in my opinion far too loud for the time of nighthe sang and made us want to go to the pool side bar. the staff here are great too and with a little tip will really look after you all (common practise in egypt due to such low wages) you will get other staff trying to get you to buy Irish cooffe or cocktails ...I wouldnt bother. The animation team also put on entertainment shows. If you like a lively night with lots of entertainment I would not reccomend this hotel but if your happy for a nice atmoshphere and good company you have gone on holiday with then you will enjoy! if you fancy it there is a nighyclub on site which is ok but after 12 you have to pay 48 egyptians ponds for a vodka!!
the main pool is loud with music and kids splashing so great fun for some but we preferred the quiet pool! which had a little library of books you could borrow. our room was by this pool room 1147 was an excellent location, the reception allowed us to move here from another room with no problem.
the animation team are nice and offer lots of activities water aerobics , morning excersise and stretching, darts, beach volley ball, dance classes etc and nights out to clubs and beach foam parties. we went to pasha with them which was great.
the beach is lovely and there is fantastic sunbathing areas overlooking the sea in cut out sections of the cliffs. The scuba diving is amazing and the location is an actual dive site that other boat trips come to visit. there was sometimes jellyfish there but they dont sting tehh coral is amazing and would advise you tpo get masks and an underwater camera! there is a shop where they are reasonably priced.
I was bitten by mosquitos due to the time of year the man in the shop next to the chemist was very kind and gave me for free citronella jossticks to burn in the room which helped and you can ask your cleaner to spray the room. you get fresh towels daily, large water and toiletries.
the welcome meeting was not very helpful if management are reading please make it more tailored to when and where things are available and the options for extras. for instance I got room service of a cup of tea twic in our stay and for that price I didnt realise till my last day you cab pay a supplemet for tea making facilities in your room.
we made the mistake of going to the "spa" in the changing rooms a women took my sunglassed of my head and started pulling at my dress to tell me to take it off infront of men who were there which made me uncomfotable. we went to the sauna which had nails sticking out of the wood. the steam room was out of order, the jacuzzi was broke but the man insisited i went in even though it was cold!!! after the salt scrub (which was coconut) we were left wrapped in towels in a cold room on old sunbeds and then had to shower it off in a cold shower. was not relaxing at all their saving grace was the massage after which was very good.
all in all a good hotel, great tiem of year to visit...do not go in our summertime especially with children it is far too hot in my opinion.

Room Tip: by the pool room 1147 was fantastic
3 Thank nat023
livingston
Reviewed 25 April 2012

just back on the 19/4/2012 stayed at the sharm resort been in sharm 7 times and would be more than happy to go back to this hotel we had a great time food good,weather great,hotel brill the staff were always on hand and very helpfull this resort had 4 resturants all included in the all inclusive package 7 swimming pools 5 bars and right on the beach we were in room 7122 a bit of a walk to the other side of the resort but worth the walk cant fault this hotel will be going back as soon as we can

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Just returned from our fifth holiday at the Sharm Plaza in last year. I reviewed this hotel on my last visit and this visit gave the same excellent standards as before.
Food - excellent choice of dishes and restaurants to eat in,including Chinese, Lebanese,Pizzaria
Sea food and Orintal buffet serving A.I meals.
Rooms - clean comfortable rooms containing two double beds,fridge and tv showing some great films,cleaners are fantastic and change bed linen,towels and beach towels daily and are
very helpful for any queries you may have
Hotel - two hotels joined (Sharm Plaza and Sharm Resort) the Plaza is nearer to the beach and
has slightly larger rooms than the Resort otherwise all facilities are same.The hotel grounds are large with 7 pools and beautiful garden areas. There are many steps within the hotel leading down to the beach areas but being an OAP my self I do not find these a problem but buggies are available if required.
Entertainment - shows are provided nightly in Seville`s bar with a weekly oriental barbecue on the beach area weekly but my preference is for a relaxing evening in the many lounge areas
Staff - I cannot speak highly enough of the staff,many of whom have become firm friends.They work extremely hard, usually 12 hour shifts for weeks on end with no days off but still they will help in any way.fetching drinks always smiling.Look out for Mahmoud and Mahmoud both of whom work in the lounge bar or the nearby beach bar.
This hotel gives clean, comfortable ,excellent value for money holidays hence my reason to continually going back. My next hol (No 6) there is in two weeks and I am planning No 7 asap

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank peter j
Durham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have been travelling here as a couple since Feb 2011, we have never liked a hotel to return more than once before but the staff are amazing and the hotel such excellent value we couldn't resist....plus the majority of the same staff are still there. Great snorkelling, man made beach areas for the kids. The hotel shares a massive area with it's sister hotel Sharm Resort and whilst set on quite a steep hill there is a 4 person golf buggy permanently stand by for the less able. Fantastic choice of Kids pools with slides, quiet area pool, main area pools & even one to learn to dive. Check out the omelette chef at breakfast and the afternoon pancakes. Every evening the main restaurant has a different themed night but if you fancy something different there is a Chinese restaurant with demonstration cooking, also Italian, Lebanese and Sea Food restaurants and a fabulous Pizza place but the crowning glory of everything they do it the tastiest Lentil soup I have ever had.
Last holiday there was a problem with the flight home, Red Sea holidays picked us back up at the airport took us back to the hotel put us back in the same grade of room as we had all had for our holidays still all on full AI basis no bother at all.
All staff in Egypt earn very little wages so if you get great service which I know you will here £1 or 1€ every couple of days will delight them and make your already excellent service outstanding....roll on 25th May to go back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple